AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #27

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because the move of the “caretaker” resulted in Jayme having to change schools, whoever the caretaker is must have been very involved with Jayme. Going to a new school is a very big change for a 13 year old girl.
Upthread we are told it is an aunt. Still doesn’t matter. This is odd. Changing schools and being taken away from her friends *is* huge.
What happened at that school?
This needs to be explored.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Defined by Medicare / Medicaid:
A "family caregiver" is anyone who provides any type of physical and/or emotional care for an ill or disabled loved one at home. Loved ones in need of care, could be suffering from a physical or mental illness, disability, substance misuse, or other conditions.

To note: Family caregivers are PAID positions that require a medical diagnosis of significant severity and the term is pretty exclusive to Medicare / Medicaid benefits.

A "family caregiver" is anyone who provides any type of physical and/or emotional care for an ill or disabled loved one at home. Loved ones in need of care, could be suffering from a physical or mental illness, disability, substance misuse, or other conditions.

To note: Family caregivers are PAID positions that require a medical diagnosis of significant severity and the term is pretty exclusive to Medicare / Medicaid benefits.

But isn't a caregiver different from a caretaker? A caregiver would be looking after a specific person but a caretaker would be for the whole family unit? Over here in the UK this would come under the Social Services banner, i'm not sure what the equivalent is in the US?

But isn't a caregiver different from a caretaker? A caregiver would be looking after a specific person but a caretaker would be for the whole family unit? Over here in the UK this would come under the Social Services banner, i'm not sure what the equivalent is in the US?

From what I can tell Medicare / Medicaid in the US use "family caregiver" and "family caretaker" interchangeably to mean the exact same things. It is a type of social services appointment and is paid by Medicare or Medicaid (and some private medical insurances). Family members qualify (and can be paid) if specific conditions are met.

“Caregiver” not “ caretaker”

The last thing I wanted for my kids of that age was for them to go home to an empty house in the country. And that was before there was internet.

I had them go to my best friend’s house in the city. She was not home either, but her two daughters were. Both teens.

I cannot think of one reason someone would want their kids to go home to an empty house if there are alternatives.

However, it does sound like Jayme got the bus to school in the AM by herself. That seems to be what the aunt said.

And she took the bus home after school as the neighbors saw the school bus stop.

“Caregiver” not “ caretaker” The last thing I wanted for my kids of that age was for them to go home to an empty house in the country. And that was before there was internet. I had them go to my best friend’s house in the city. She was not home either, but her two daughters were. Both teens. I cannot think of one reason someone would want their kids to go home to an empty house if there are alternatives. However, it does sound like Jayme got the bus to school in the AM by herself. That seems to be what the aunt said. And she took the bus home after school as the neighbors saw the school bus stop.

Would you have called that person looking over your child a "family caregiver" or "family caretaker"? I'm not arguing that Jayme did or didn't need a babysitter. It's irrelevant to me and everyone is going to have a different opinion on that.

I'm arguing that a sheriff didn't use "family caretaker" to mean aunt / babysitter. Nor did a reporter. It's a legal term with a specific meaning.

“Caregiver” not “ caretaker”

The last thing I wanted for my kids of that age was for them to go home to an empty house in the country. And that was before there was internet.

I had them go to my best friend’s house in the city. She was not home either, but her two daughters were. Both teens.

I cannot think of one reason someone would want their kids to go home to an empty house if there are alternatives.

However, it does sound like Jayme got the bus to school in the AM by herself. That seems to be what the aunt said.

And she took the bus home after school as the neighbors saw the school bus stop.
Having Jayme change schools so her Aunt could watch a 13 year old girl is a red flag. More to it.

Opinion

Whoever the caretaker is, and why, surely LE knows, and apparently this knowledge has not furthered the case...not sure why we need to know, but jmo.

I can think of a few reasons.

It could explain why Jayme switched schools which in my experience isn't done to teenagers without a very good reason. I'm actually in a situation where I'm considering it for one of my own and switching schools in teenage years comes with a lot of potential issues (social, grades and grade transfers, finances, transportation).

It could also indicate that someone in the Closs family NEEDED a family caregiver/taker. For what reason? Was it because Jayme had been ill or was it Denise or James?

It could also indicate financial problems.

I can think of a few reasons.

It could explain why Jayme switched schools which in my experience isn't done to teenagers without a very good reason. I'm actually in a situation where I'm considering it for one of my own and switching schools in teenage years comes with a lot of potential issues (social, grades and grade transfers, finances, transportation).

It could also indicate that someone in the Closs family NEEDED a family caregiver/taker. For what reason? Was it because Jayme had been ill or was it Denise or James?

It could also indicate financial problems.

Hadn't Jayme been in hospital earlier this year? Had she some medical issue that required a caretaker/giver?

Would you have called that person looking over your child a "family caregiver" or "family caretaker"? I'm not arguing that Jayme did or didn't need a babysitter. It's irrelevant to me and everyone is going to have a different opinion on that.

I'm arguing that a sheriff didn't use "family caretaker" to mean aunt / babysitter. Nor did a reporter. It's a legal term with a specific meaning.
Is there an actual quote that any of the family called her a caregiver or caretaker? I don't think it matters what LE or MSM calls her if the family just thinks of her as a member of the family who takes care of her before and after school until she gets a ride home. I know that my son wanted to go to a different school when he was in 8th grade, but the school said that the only way he could get transportation was if he had a "family caregiver" within the school district, even though he could have walked just 3 or 4 blocks to catch bus to that school. He was also 13, and he was able to spend time alone (and did); he just had to go to the school whose bus transportation served the area where we lived. He was going to stay with his half brother and his father, but they didn't allow it because the father wasn't a "family member" and the brother was not 18. I don't know that the rules are the same there, but it maes sense to me. MOO

Last edited:
Is there an actual quote that any of the family called her a caregiver or caretaker? I don't think it matters what LE or MSM calls her if the family just thinks of her as a member of the family who takes care of her before and after school until she gets a ride home. I know that my son wanted to go to a different school when he was in 8th grade, but the school said that the only way he could get transportation was if he had a "family caregiver" within the school district, even though he could have walked just 3 or 4 blocks to catch bus to that school. He was also 13, and he was able to spend time alone (and did); he just had to go to the school whose bus transportation served the area where we lived. He was going to stay with his half brother and his father, but the didn't allow it because the father wasn't a "family member" and the brother was not 18. I don't know that the rules are the same there, but it maes sense to me. MOO

I totally agree.

And where is this”caregiver” now as the aunt said Jayme is home alone in the AM and the neighbors see her get off of the bus in the PM.

Maybe Jayme goes to the “ caregiver’s” home when she needs a ride to dancing or to cross country.

I don't think that rules out a mid - older teen or young male.

Boys (especially, but girls too) start shooting in rural areas at very young ages. Many start their relationship with guns around the age of 7-9 (if not younger). When you are a teenager in rural middle of no where with nothing to do all summer ... Many boys spend entire summers doing nothing but shooting things. In some cases, these teenagers spend more time with guns than one goes through in military training.

The precision of an instant kill means nothing in regard to age of the shooter IMO.

That would be me. I fired more shots in one month at my grandmother's than I did in 25+ years of military service. And I qualified expert with both pistol and rifle.

BBM
I've given this lot of thought and all I can figure out is because the parents would know who took her and they would go after that person with a fury. To the perp, this was the safest way to accomplish his goal and not get caught. jmo
Perhaps one could ask: Whom didn't the perp want to kill for Jayme? He didn't want to kill the caregiver/caretaker, it seems. Otherwise he could have taken Jayme between Monday and Friday/Saturday and hadn't to chose Sunday night ....

The crime scene was looked at by more than one unit. It is possible the second or third time (out of 6, IIRC) it was looked at it was decided to remove it and check. Not true that there can only be one possible reason, IMO.

Agreed. I don't think it is fair to say checking to see if Jayme had a lover. The Sheriff and others have discounted her having a boyfriend, the Sheriff saying she is a very innocent girl. While I realize having a boyfriend/lover and being very innocent aren't mutually exclusive I have seen nothing that indicates Jayme had a lover. It feels too much like victim blaming to me. The mattress could have had some blood splatter, urine, or semen that may not have been spotted at first. IMO, I think Jayme could have been assaulted on that mattress so I don't believe the perp only went 5 feet inside the front door.

I want to know those things too. We have such limited information. The phone could have been knocked from Jayme's hands and kicked across the floor.

Do we know from a verified media source that Denise was found in the bathroom? Seems like I remember that. She could have had her phone in the bathroom with her and called 911 but been unable to speak. If that were the case, then she could not have died instantly and it would have been Jayme heard in the background in another area.

MOO

A very early media report said she appeared to have barricaded herself in the bathroom, but there were a lot of things that weren't said.

Was the bathroom door kicked or forced open?
Was Jayme in the bathroom, too?
If not, where was she?

So much depends on the motive, which we still don't know.

Just realized something, maybe it is different in Jayme’s school district. Where I live, if I transferred my child to another school, even within the district, they would no longer have bus service. I would have to provide transportation. How did Jayme change schools and keep bus service? My thoughts... 1. Her district is different and the same bus provides service to both schools. 2. Jayme had a need which affected her education. The need could only be met at the other school and the school district recommended the transfer. They then provided a special needs bus for transportation. 3. Something happened at school #1. The district assumes some responsibility of the event. Everyone, district included, agreed switching schools was in Jayme’s best interest. District agrees to continue providing transportation. Anyone with other thoughts?

As a nurse, I know there is a difference between care-giver and care-taker. Medicare/Medicaid is defined so that the patient can receive benefits.

MOO
I believe the caretaker was for Jayme mainly to help with transportation to and from her after school activities and sports, sick days, snow days, school vacations.

And possibly to stay over night if her parents needed to work OT, possibly the night shift.

I also believe the caretaker started several years ago when Jayme was going to a different school and just continued.

Maybe attending a new school this year and with her taking the bus to her home, she didn’t need the caretaker as much. But she still needed transportation and if she had health issues, needed to have a caretaker when home sick.

Perhaps a caregiver/caretaker had been decreed officially for (to us) unknown reason?

When Jayme had disappeared, one of the first things stated by the Sheriff was, that she had changed school because of the caregiver/caretaker. I wondered and didn't understand, why it might be important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scyna0895