AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #27

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
PodcastOne: 11/14/18 Hour 1 Barron County Sheriff Chris fitzgerald discusses the latest from a troubled town.

I'm not sure if it is okay to post a link to Garage Logic w/Sheriff Fitzgerald podcast, mods please delete if not.

Interesting info I hadn't heard before by Sheriff Fitzgerald:
1) No arguments or drama at the party earlier, Jayme/Denise were there approx. 4 hours all was happy.
2) No signs of robbery, wallet with cash, credit cards left on a table.
<mod fix broken quote>

Well that rules out drugs/ drug money as motive....

Last edited by a moderator:
<mod fix broken quote>

I think it's safe to say random robbery is off the table because even if they knew LE was on the way, they'd have grabbed a wallet IMO.

I don't know if that can completely rule out drug angle in the sense of James or Denise having reported some suspected activity and the person found out.

Still leaves Jayme being the target a little higher to me now.

As far as the neighbor goes, she didn't look out the window at the time of the gunshot, but she did look out later.

"About a half hour later, Joan Smrekar got out of bed, as she often does. Their English shepherd seemed to be snuffing around a bit, too, so she looked out her front windows to see what was up. But, she said, she saw nothing unusual.
What she didn’t know was police were responding to a 911 call to the Closs residence about 200 yards away. She figured she wasn’t aware because deputies didn’t turn on the sirens, and the dense woods and brush between the homes would have kept her from seeing the emergency lights."

Source: Dozens of volunteers help in foot search for missing Wisconsin 13-year-old

In mid-October with leaves still on the trees, this would be possible, I imagine. It's also possible if she looked out just before 1 that the police had not yet shown up. I at first thought she would have seen the blue and red lights reflecting in the night, but it's possible they rolled up sans lights as well as sirens. The dog had been acting a bit funny, but when she looked out, she didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Could be she looked out while the perp was still in the house and just after the 911 call was made or after he/they left but before police showed up as well.

Depends on the state/local laws. Where I grew up in East TN, lots of hunters hunted possums & coons during the night, perfectly legal.
Lol...I live in East Texas. Lots of the same. Also lots of game wardens in the woods at night. You don't have to call them as they are already there. Did not know you shot coons. I just thought you treed and trapped them. BTW love East Tennessee..

The longer this goes on, I wonder if it is similar to the Petit case. Maybe this was a random perp or perps who didn't personally know the Closses but saw them in public somewhere and followed them home. It wouldn't even have to be that afternoon like with the Petits. Maybe someone saw Jayme and her mom or both parents in town, grocery shopping, eating out, or a myriad of other places, and the person was sick and interested in Jayme. I know the Petit case was initially a motive of robbery, but this wouldn't have to be. They could have watched the Closs home for a night or even longer to find out who all lived there.

In the Petit case, even though the initial motive was robbery, people still ended up raped and murdered. So I don't think it's out of line to think that even if they initially were wanting Jayme that they may have murdered her parents to get to her/not leave witnesses, etc. As far as why they didn't take her while out in public, maybe they thought a quiet house in the middle of a rural area with not much around was a safer bet than somewhere in public. It could also be that they did not intend to actually abduct Jayme. Maybe they figured they would do...whatever to her in the home and then kill her (sorry to say this). But maybe they hadn't gotten a chance to do what they wanted when the 911 call happened so they split with her. This is all MOO of course, but I can't get the Petit case out of my mind. And if it was someone really close to them, I guess I am just surprised it has gone on this long without an arrest.

<mod fix broken quote>

Yes, Lex8396,
I agree. Early on, ...... I thought, "hmmmm, what would a wanna-be-robber be interested in?"

Money? Jewelry? Expensive small items from a home?

Someone "casing the joint" and looking at several properties nearby would have to make decisions on which house in the area along this highway is "easiest".

The Wanna-be-robber would conclude that the neighbors' house ('older' couple, more accumulated stuff, etc.) should be targeted before (...way before...) the Closs' home (middle-aged "younger" couple, large strong husband, etc.).

(Besides, ......Wanna-be-robber would think: ..... 13 year olds are expensive upkeep! There won't be a lot of pricey items in the Closs home, except maybe, a family laptop? All the Closs family resources go into raising their beautiful, talented daughter. )

Most Wanna-be-robbers would steer clear of a James Closs too. They would take one look at him, and probably assume he could fight to hurt, and he'd have a gun close-by also.

....Which only leads me back to:
This was something deep and targeted.

I could see both sides ... where they were scaring any kind of animal away from car ..

But if your doing that why two shots and loud af shotgun to wake up neighbors..
If neighbors thought just scaring a bear... would u look outside...

Who wants to walk into a bear @ 6 am. Call the police call your neighbors??

If anything they are odd...probably don’t wanna get middle of nothing @ 1 am
Welcome- and I agree with you. These neighbors didn’t know the Closses at all. They stated early on that they didn’t even know a school-aged child lived there. Hearing shots, they could have easily thought “bear”. Or could have thought “drug dealer”- don’t want to get involved. Given the meth problem in the rural parts of WI, I might only call the police if I knew I could remain anonymous. Perhaps in that small town, they didn’t have confidence they’d be unidentified.

Yes, Lex8396,
I agree. Early on, ...... I thought, "hmmmm, what would a wanna-be-robber be interested in?"

Money? Jewelry? Expensive small items from a home?

Someone "casing the joint" and looking at several properties nearby would have to make decisions on which house in the area along this highway is "easiest".

The Wanna-be-robber would conclude that the neighbors' house ('older' couple, more accumulated stuff, etc.) should be targeted before (...way before...) the Closs' home (middle-aged "younger" couple, large strong husband, etc.).

(Besides, ......Wanna-be-robber would think: ..... 13 year olds are expensive upkeep! There won't be a lot of pricey items in the Closs home, except maybe, a family laptop? All the Closs family resources go into raising their beautiful, talented daughter. )

Most Wanna-be-robbers would steer clear of a James Closs too. They would take one look at him, and probably assume he could fight to hurt, and he'd have a gun close-by also.

....Which only leads me back to:
This was something deep and targeted.
<mod fix broken quote>

Yup and I believe it was someone from that plant they worked at. Someone they got into trouble and that person was fired or quit. It's the only scenario I can think of.

1. Nothing was stolen.
2. Perpetrator came ready to shoot and kill.

I don't see this as a random home invasion. This was personal, for some reason.

Both adults killed. This indicates that the adults could identify the perpetrator.

13 year old girl missing. Indicates potential kidnapping for abuse.

Dog not shot, still in home? This potentially means that the perpetrator knew that the dog was not going to be protective and aggressive.

I would be interested in what was found on the computer in the home.

Yup and I believe it was someone from that plant they worked at. Someone they got into trouble and that person was fired or quit. It's the only scenario I can think of.
<mod fix broken quote>
Does anyone remember the first interview James Closs brother gave? When asked what he thought happened, his first response was someone from work he may have had a disagreement with. He based that on the fact James worked so many hours at Jennie O.

Would be nice if sherif released some positive news constantly about James / Denise / jayme.

Such as toxicology... we found nothing in either ...parents system other than blood pressure meds ... etc.

Bank records ... we found no serious debts/gambling problems..

Maybe text from jayme talking bout future

I guess I’m saying give us some of the picture besides 2 people killed daughter missing.. can’t give you more info but please help ?

I witnessed a horrible crime when I was 12 or 13 and I was completely silent. I couldn't scream if I tried. I remember curling up in a ball in the corner.

I'm sorry you had to bring that up, and I completely understand. Most people wouldn't make a sound and comply in rightful fear of their life... I, on the other hand have always been an "agaisnt the grain" kind of person, and I would have fought. I guess it's worth mentioning I'm a combat vet as well so I am confident in my abilities and what I could or couldn't handle.

I honestly wasn't thinking about the effects of me screaming would be. I was just frozen. My fight or flight didn't work. There was no logic or thinking "I can fight him" or "I should hide." I was just stunned. And that could be a possibility for Jayme. And honestly, I was 12 or 13 and Jayme's size. I had no chance against a big man with a gun. (I'm not saying Jayme had no chance. I just knew afterward I didn't & luckily I was okay.
I'm sorry you had to bring that up, and I completely understand. Most people wouldn't make a sound and comply in rightful fear of their life... I, on the other hand have always been an "agaisnt the grain" kind of person, and I would have fought. I guess it's worth mentioning I'm a combat vet as well so I am confident in my abilities and what I could or couldn't handle.

Wow if cash, credit cards etc were in plain view...no way this was a random home invasion/meth heads etc...all that goes out the window.

This was extra personal imo...perp not even interested in cash, right there for the taking?

PodcastOne: 11/14/18 Hour 1 Barron County Sheriff Chris fitzgerald discusses the latest from a troubled town.

I'm not sure if it is okay to post a link to Garage Logic w/Sheriff Fitzgerald podcast, mods please delete if not.

Interesting info I hadn't heard before by Sheriff Fitzgerald:
1) No arguments or drama at the party earlier, Jayme/Denise were there approx. 4 hours all was happy.
2) No signs of robbery, wallet with cash, credit cards left on a table.
Thanks for link. I think this definitely rules out random robbery and maybe why Denise's family said they had even more questions after they were allowed to visit the crime scene
To me I still feel this was a targeted revenge killing by someone/s who were reported for illegal activity by the Closses or they believe the Closses reported them. I just don't think Jayme was the target
JMO O

I honestly wasn't thinking about the effects of me screaming would be. I was just frozen. My fight or flight didn't work. There was no logic or thinking "I can fight him" or "I should hide." I was just stunned. And that could be a possibility for Jayme. And honestly, I was 12 or 13 and Jayme's size. I had no chance against a big man with a gun. (I'm not saying Jayme had no chance. I just knew afterward I didn't & luckily I was okay.
I'm sorry that happened to you and glad that you were okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mascaraguns