AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot to death, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure Chi but it may have been when the police said gunshots were involved.

Didn't they say earlier today they found spent bullet casings at the scene?

Sorry for not being able to help you much.

I believe the parents being shot is solely an assumption that the media has interpreted from the neighbor hearing gunshots. It could be it was an initial assumption when the media first received information on the case that was not actually the case.

The sheriff at the 4pm briefing replied to a question saying he could not answer if they were shot/what the likely cause of death was.

Is that normal? I don't know what they usually would do in a case like this. It is my first time here because of this Amber Alert but am intrigued by the discussions and conversations.

Last edited:
I found it back in Post #1, Thread #1, in the posted link. Looks to have been reported by Fox 9.

bbm

From the article:

Parents found dead, 13-year-old girl missing in Barron County, Wisconsin

AMBER ALERT - WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot to death, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered*

ETA: Added bolding to include source of that info, which apparently was the Sheriff according to Fox 9 news.
Thank you so much.
I guess the COD for both will be gunshot then.
I don't understand the holdup on releasing that at all.
jmo
Chi

1. Make sure everyone that was at the birthday party the day before is accounted for - immediately
2. Get Jayme's best friend to tell who she has been talking with online - what guys. - immediately.

One or the other, they will find the culprit there IMO.

Amateur opinion and speculation only

Just speculating but to me they may have also suffered trauma of some kind.

Maybe both victims were found with blunt force injuries so the ME is trying determine which injury caused their deaths and which one is secondary?

Jmo

Likely referring to a forensic pathologist, since it is a homicide. I'm sure they are not used to this type of crime and were waiting on an additional expert. Jmo

But he referred to “new information.” They knew it was a homicide when the original autopsies were expected.

A very perplexing statement, IMO. Hmmm.

But he referred to “new information.” They knew it was a homicide when the original autopsies were expected.

A very perplexing statement, IMO. Hmmm.
I agree, the wording of 'new information' is odd when talking about autopsies. Made me initially think of toxicology testing, but in my layman's understanding I'm pretty sure that's standard for homicide autopsies? so I wouldn't think the police would need to specifically tell the medical examiner to perform that test. Unless it was a specific drug they received information about. I think there are some poisons for example that have to be specifically tested for or they won't show up on a routine toxicology screen. Can anyone confirm? Definitely not a forensic scientist haha.

**how many more times could i have said specific/specifically? LOL geez

Last edited:
More I study this one, B&E/robbery gone bad seems less plausible and this seems like a case where Jayme was the target here. Otherwise, why not just shoot her after killing mom & dad? If this was a pure robbery situation that turned into murder, why did the perp(s) take Jayme? You'd want as few loose ends as possible.

I think it's very plausible that we're dealing with a stalker/predator situation and the real reason perp(s) were at the home was for her. Either someone who was stalking her unbeknownst to her, someone she knew in the area or someone she met online.

Just getting caught up here. I think the LE needs to look at sex offenders in the area. I'm so worried for this little girl.
My theory is either someone very close to the family, or an online predator that traveled to abscond her.

Amateur opinion and speculation only

Last edited:
I believe the parents being shot is solely an assumption that the media has interpreted from the neighbor hearing gunshots. It could be it was an initial assumption when the media first received information on the case that was not actually the case.

The sheriff at the 4pm briefing replied to a question saying he could not answer if they were shot/what the likely cause of death was.

Is that normal? I don't know what they usually would do in a case like this. It is my first time here because of this Amber Alert but am intrigued by the discussions and conversations.
No matter how obvious a cause of death or even the manner of death may be, legally it can only be determined by a coroner/medical examiner as the state law defines it. So, it is common for law enforcement to say they believe something to be the case but they won't say it definitively until after the autopsy. It is actually much more common for law enforcement to not say anything at all about a cause of death, explicitly refusing to do so for investigative reasons. I would be shocked if law enforcement were to release the cause of death for either parent.

I'm getting the vibes that the crime scene was not the norm, trying to put it delicately, I wouldn't be surprised if some horrible, horrible things happened in that home, it's so obvious to me that they know far more than they can say, I feel we only know a tiny slither of what really happened and how it happened. Absolutely horrendous.

Autopsies don't normally take several days unless there is something questionable, IMHO. At one time I worked with the medical examiner here in Memphis, now the West Tennessee Regional Forensics Center.
All questionable higher-profile cases in TN either get sent here or to Nashville.
(I am not a coroner. I'm a retired funeral director who did much training while in school back then.)
How long did it take to get Mollie's unreleased autopsy back? I think she was found on the 21st and her autopsy initial results were released on the 23rd.
I just find this all very strange is all I am saying.
Chi

As of right now since we don't know a whole lot, this case makes me think of Ashley Freeman and Lauria Bible from 1999 in Oklahoma. Parents found shot to death in (remains of) home, girls are missing, case is cold for many years. Found out this year that they were held for a few days, assaulted, and then killed :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gamzie