AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot to death, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As one more thought at the moment, has it been stated anywhere in MSM that the mother was shot?
I noticed the sheriff wouldn't even "guess" at how long "he" had been dead...
We don't know if there was more than one perp.
There may very well be more than one COD involved with the parents.
Maybe we will be able to find out tomorrow.
Chi
I guess they were both shot since this thread is titled
missing after parents found shot to death, 15 Oct 2018

I'm guessing the town being so small all they have is maybe a funeral home and undertaker. Probably no Coroner. Probably bringing somebody with more experience in to do the autopsy on somebody murdered. MOO

The bodies are most likely being moved to the other investigative offices. This is a murder so Barron County most likely wouldn't be handling these things in-house. If they are crossing state lines there is probably some other hoops to jump through which just slows the process a bit.

If they are sent to Madison, WI you could be waiting weeks for results due to the back-log they have in their office.

From Barron County's website:

Will an autopsy be performed?
The ME/DME will decide if an autopsy is necessary to establish the cause and manner of death. An autopsy may not be performed if the cause of death can be determined to be from "natural causes."
If an autopsy is deemed necessary by the ME/DME, the body will be transported to either Sacred Heart Hospital in Eau Claire for a clinical autopsy or Midwest Medical Examiner's Office in Ramsey, Minnesota for a forensic autopsy. Arrangements will be made with the funeral home to transport the body to the autopsy facility and then back to the funeral home.

How long does it take to get the results of the autopsy?
In many cases the cause of death is evident at the time of autopsy. In other cases, the cause of death may require additional studies, and therefore, additional time. Many of these studies require processing and analysis of specimens by consulting laboratories whose turn-around times are not controlled by this office.
All death investigations are different and determining the cause and manner of death may require a great number of steps, each requiring time to complete--the time needed to complete several of these steps are not under the control of this office.

We recently had a murder case in LaCrosse, WI that went to trial. The autopsy was done by the state crime lab. Maybe because this is such a fluid situation they will call in the state lab and coroners??

Coroners usually have no medical background or at least where I live. Most do pronouncements of deaths that are not suspicious in nature such as obvious deaths related to natural causes. All other deaths requiring an autopsy the bodies are sent to the MEs office of the state GBI to be autopsied.

Diane Trembay, the Barron Area School District Superintendent, said the goal of the school district is to see Jayme return safe. Trembay also explained a bit about how she was remembered in the school district.

"A teacher just recently shared this to me about Jayme," Trembay said. "Jayme wrote on one of her assignments in response to the question, 'what would you do if you were given a million dollars?' She said, 'feed the hungry, and give the rest to the poor.'"

During a media briefing on Tuesday morning, Fitzgerald said that he can't reveal why authorities believe Closs is in danger because it could compromise the investigation. Fitzgerald repeated his plea for the public's help in finding her.
Sheriff: 200 tips, 30K hits from Amber Alert in Jayme Closs missing teen case

But they would have known that prior to today. It was the way he said they received additional information that then required more resources.
Yes. That was an odd thing for the Sheriff to say. I can't imagine what that could be that somehow would require other resources. Certainly those other resources would be able to review any samples, test results, photos, drawings, and even the bodies without holding up an autopsy today. I wonder if they are trying to hold back the running clock on Wisconsin Open Record laws that starts once the autopsy is complete.

Deputies responded to a residence on Highway 8 east of Barron that was asking for help shortly before 1 a.m. When deputies arrived, they found two deceased adults. Jayme Closs, 13, is considered "missing and endangered." Jayme is described as 5' tall, 100 pounds and has green eyes and blond or strawberry blond hair.

2 dead, 13-year-old girl missing in Barron County, Wisconsin
From page 1 of this thread....doesn't say they were both shot to death.
JMO
Curious Chi
ETA from link above "Joan Smrekar and her husband live right next door to the Closs family, who they describe as “very quiet, almost reclusive.” The Smrekars reported hearing two high-powered gunshots after 12:30 a.m. Monday."

Reclusive??? That's kinda odd too...

I have a 13 year old granddaughter. She tells me about all these girls at school who sneak out of their houses at night to meet other teens. I feel that if Jayme was meeting someone, she would have snuck out of the house and meet them somewhere else. Also, there wouldn't likely be a "point of entrance" that made police suspect an intrusion. MOO
Yes true...when my step daughter was 14 she had snuck out and was picked up by the cops at 2am, walking down a dark street that leads right to a major interstate. They were livid with her, more so than her mother was. She lives with us now obviously.

Where did the initial info that both were shot come from?
Dang I am lost.
Chi

I'm not sure Chi but it may have been when the police said gunshots were involved.

Didn't they say earlier today they found spent bullet casings at the scene?

Sorry for not being able to help you much.

Do they have shifts at the plant?
He could have been just returning home from work.
Perhaps perp was waiting on Jayme and mom to return and was in the.home when they got there?
MOO
This is exactly what I was thinking. Perp is in the house with the daughter and mother. Father walks in from second shift at the plant surprising the perp possibly.

Dang I am lost.
Chi

I found it back in Post #1, Thread #1, in the posted link. Looks to have been reported by Fox 9.

bbm

From the article:
The Barron County Sheriff’s Office received a 911 call made from a residence on Highway 8 east of Barron shortly before 1 a.m. When deputies arrived, they found two adults shot to death inside the home, according to Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald. The parents have been identified as 56-year-old James Closs and 46-year-old Denise Closs.
Parents found dead, 13-year-old girl missing in Barron County, Wisconsin

AMBER ALERT - WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot to death, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered*

ETA: Added bolding to include source of that info, which apparently was the Sheriff according to Fox 9 news.

Last edited:
Loose transcript...

Reporter: Can you please respond, Miami Police tweeted this morning. Can you respond to that?

Sheriff: Yes, we followed up on that tip. The information did not come from this podium. It is not credible information.

That was a badly disguised and well deserved F-U to Miami if I ever saw one.

Dang I am lost.
Chi

I think it was assumed.
That's how family worded it when posting on social media.
Then it was called a gunshot crime scene, casings mentioned.
So that's how the media worded it.

The police haven't said anything to explicitly dispute it.
So, it stands until they tell us otherwise I guess?

Not word for word but just said "need for other resources to perform the autopsy based on new information received." What in the WORLD could that mean???

eta: that's why the autopsies were not performed today and will be performed tomorrow because the "additional resources" are now there.

Question for everyone, does this sound unusual (it does to me)? Should we suspect that there was more to this than two gunshot wounds as cause of death?

Diane Trembay, the Barron Area School District Superintendent, said the goal of the school district is to see Jayme return safe. Trembay also explained a bit about how she was remembered in the school district.

"A teacher just recently shared this to me about Jayme," Trembay said. "Jayme wrote on one of her assignments in response to the question, 'what would you do if you were given a million dollars?' She said, 'feed the hungry, and give the rest to the poor.'"

During a media briefing on Tuesday morning, Fitzgerald said that he can't reveal why authorities believe Closs is in danger because it could compromise the investigation. Fitzgerald repeated his plea for the public's help in finding her.
Sheriff: 200 tips, 30K hits from Amber Alert in Jayme Closs missing teen case
I'm being cynical here, but aren't nice things are typically said at first in cases like this. Would be good to look at the facts/reality of the matter. When teenagers get bored, they tend to get involved in stuff they shouldn't.

Absolutely, IF your victim is willing to meet you. If they are not, then you have to retrieve them. If she was always around other people in public, at night at home may have been the most feasible option.

Maybe there was some sort of tied up/tortured to get pin number or other financial information before leaving?

Perhaps other injuries, (like the D.C. mansion murders) so they don't know which killed them until after autopsy.

Maybe after perp got what he wanted or gave up, Dad was injured and restrained and Mom killed. Perp thought Dad was mortally wounded so started to leave with Jayme, but Dad got free and came after the Perp, then being shot in the doorway.

I think it means two things.
It means a possible method of her being found to victimize: she could have been spotted and stalked by someone while she was running.
It also means HOPE! That if she is able to get away and run like hell, she has a good chance of escaping!

I don't get this vibe in this case. Jayme seems like a "young" newly 13, not a "mature" newly 13.

This hasn't been stated anywhere. LE has been VERY clear that they believe Jayme was IN the house WHEN her parents were killed. This is just a reporters incorrect interpretation.

Her parents were murdered and she is missing. If they WEREN'T confident she was in danger I'd be questioning their competence.

They say this a lot and it ALWAYS bothers me. Even if Jayme was the target that doesn't mean they won't target someone else. They don't always stop at one. Even Elizabeth Smart's abductor tried to take another girl.

Have you seen the pictures of Jayme and her mother? While I've seen some adopted kids who resemble their adoptive family, this is a bit beyond that. If she was adopted it was from a close family member, she looks just like her Mom. I don't think this is a biological family member abduction.

Yes, police are reviewing social media.

I didn't find that bizarre at all. It looked like they might even know each other. Reminded me of when my family/friends and I are going somewhere in a group. Often it's somewhere like camping or snowmobiling where we are towing multiple items so we can't carpool.

The guy seemed quite confident walking up to talk to the guy and it appeared he gave him a fist bump after. However, he could just be a very confident guy too.

Who said she was adopted? do you have a link for that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member