AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot to death, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to add to the various theories of what may have happened, here's one I was thinking about last night. Please note that this is speculation only.
I was remembering a case a year or two ago (can't recall the names) where a Facebook or other social media connection was unfriended by a teen girl once he seemed to be getting too friendly. He got mad and took a plane from his home country (Australia maybe), then did a lengthy cross-country journey across the U.S. and was breaking down the door to the home of the teen to attack. However, the mother had a gun and shot him (I think he survived) and he was captured.
What if something like this happened in Jayme's case. Since she is quiet and shy, she may be active on social media more than most. Perhaps someone became obsessed with her. Maybe she never even responded or messaged him in any way. Perhaps he was just an observer and no one (including Jayme) even knew he was obsessed. Perhaps he was not local, either. If he broke in and did abduct Jayme, chances are good that she is still alive. Chances are also good, if this is so, that LE and FBI will track him down. If he is good at hiding his identity and was not all that active in going on her sites, it could take some time.
I also wonder if he could have parked somewhere secluded instead of the driveway, then taken Jayme with him on foot to where his car was waiting. Would there have been an alternate route of escape that might be behind the house, and then he would not have been on the same road as the approaching police cars?
All this is MOO

On the last thread, someone mentioned the Barron County inmate search and pointed to two people that were booked on the 17th with no charges. There were several people on that search, though, that didn't have any charges listed by them so I wonder if it's that uncommon of a practice?

That said, though, the 17th was now 3 days ago and there's been little more information given and, outside of the search they organized a couple days ago, no "activity" that we can see. Is it possible there's something more to it?

Actually, according to Barron County Inmate Roster, there are three inmates that were incarcerated on 10/17 (2 males, 1 female) and one inmate on 10/16 (male) all with no charge information listed.

Disclaimer: I don't know anything about what it means for sure. I tried to find information concerning this, though, and I have two opinions:

1. If inmate is charged with a federal crime they can not list what it is for on the inmate roster. You also wouldn't be able to find out what an inmate was charged with if you call the jail and ask specifically. (this is how the system works, so my actual opinion is that this could be one reason).

2. They haven't officially been charged in court yet/are awaiting that hearing... (but this entirely me thinking from the fact that they have no case info listed and not because I know the system actually works this way.)

I can tell you that out of the four people, only 1 inmate didn't bring up previous charges when I searched their name in google.

I don't think I'm allowed to use names, but here is the roster for references if you want to look them up and run their names in google. http://barronsheriff.org/inmate-roster/

IMO, from what I've viewed of the inmates that have past cases , I am leaning towards the blanks being no info because federal charges are being filed. Or maybe both state and federal.

The situation that occurred where LE uncovered a big crime unrelated to Jayme while looking for her and they warned people about it on twitter but gave no info, is almost certainly a meth-related crime. I know some people are/were wondering if it actually did have to do with Jayme. Assuming the female arrested at the scene is the one listed in the roster, they have past offenses in meth dealings. Making drugs is a federal crime and so is drug trafficking. Having possession is usually a state crime but can be federal too... and the FBI were involved as we know.

I hope this can be of use to people wanting more info!

I think this is 100% bunk.

“We know 100 percent that Jayme is still alive,” the FBI insider told Radar.

FBI Source Reveals Bombshell: 'We Know 100 Percent' That Jayme Closs Is Alive
*raises hand* I'm the one who mentioned repetition of the number 100.

-Sheriff in early PC stated it twice: "100%. 100%..."
-Early article stated 100 personnel on case between LE and FBI.
-JLC weighs 100 pounds.
-LE requested 100 volunteers exactly.

Another poster mentioned that 100 volunteers was not divisible by 7 person groups, and that's what caused me to notice the repetition of 100 and wonder if it was a message.

Now add the unnamed source to RadarOnline using "100%" as well.

I think they are just using the sheriffs original statement and making it look like it is new information. In my experience with "Radar Online" they tend to be innaccurate or twist the details in order to imply they have inside information no-one else has. Who is their source? An FBI insider? That could be someone who used to work for the FBI in any capacity, it does not mean it is someone working on the case. Jmo

I'm glad I didn't link the article here. Also, I think RadarOnline.com is going to have their " news status" revoked here because of this, and rightfully so if they confabulated old news into today's date and are passing it off as headline news. SICK!!!

Mother and father are a little on the older side to have a 13 year old daughter. Not impossible, but a bit unusual. Have we questioned/established paternity and all of that?

JMO.

I haven't read anything even closely related to that topic. The mother's age seems perfectly normal for a 13 year old. An angry biological father could be a possibility but Jayme really favors her parents.

After more discussion with Fitzgerald on Saturday morning, Fitzgerald said he was not releasing any information about how the door got opened. He said when the deputies arrived at the house, James was found dead at the door.

Clarification: Chilling details revealed in dispatch record

Being found dead at the door means Mr. Closs was inside and the intruder arrived. It doesn't mean that Mr. Closs arrived home to find an intruder advancing on his family. At least that's the way I interpret it.

IMO it does not clarify which side of the door Mr Closs was on. However, I am leaning towards he was inside the home.

"Fitzgerald did not say for whom James answered the door. "

Clarification: Chilling details revealed in dispatch record

So that sounds like it may or may not be that he answered the door for LE.

This is very confusing.

He couldn't have opened the door for the police. When they arrived James was deceased laying inside the door way area right inside of his home imo.

Logically it has to mean James opened the door and was shot by the murderer right there in the area where they found him murdered.

Imo

Last edited:
Not really a mystery. If you look at that chair in high resolution the front wood is splintered pretty severely. like either a bullet hit it or ricocheted off it. The back could be a tie or an evidence tag.

Upon further review, I'm in absolute agreement. The front left of the chair is splintered wood. The splinters protrude from the top and bottom of the chair and don't move around the way that the cushion ties do in the back as he's carrying it. I still think there is no evidence of blood. What caused the splintering in the chair is anyone's guess, gunshot, object being swung at it?

Apologies if this has been answered (I'm trying to keep up) but has it been discussed why the mother was barricaded in the bathroom, on the phone, and Jayme could be heard -- was Jayme in the bathroom barricaded with her mom, or somewhere else in the house? If Jayme was not barricaded in the bathroom, but maybe in her bedroom or another room, why did her mom go into the bathroom, and not to Jayme?
This is something I wondered too. Where would Jayme be in relationship. Also how did the call end?

(How does one delete a post on here without doing it like I'm doing it now? You know what I mean. I'm in the edit field. There is no option to delete.)

Apologies if this has been answered (I'm trying to keep up) but has it been discussed why the mother was barricaded in the bathroom, on the phone, and Jayme could be heard -- was Jayme in the bathroom barricaded with her mom, or somewhere else in the house? If Jayme was not barricaded in the bathroom, but maybe in her bedroom or another room, why did her mom go into the bathroom, and not to Jayme?

I too have read that the mom was in the bathroom but i don’t remember reading the source for that information. Was the mom found in the bathroom?

*raises hand* I'm the one who mentioned repetition of the number 100.

-Sheriff in early PC stated it twice: "100%. 100%..."
-Early article stated 100 personnel on case between LE and FBI.
-JLC weighs 100 pounds.
-LE requested 100 volunteers exactly.

Another poster mentioned that 100 volunteers was not divisible by 7 person groups, and that's what caused me to notice the repetition of 100 and wonder if it was a message.

Now add the unnamed source to RadarOnline using "100%" as well.

Thank you Sandy!
Was hoping you’d see my post and speak up.
It is an interesting observation for sure.
May be nothing, but it’s worth considering at this point.

I , like some others here, have been thinking about that chair. I have a couple of scenarios where either Jayme or her mother was tied to the chair prior to the father coming home from work.
  1. Maybe the perp has a fascination with the mother, maybe works at Jennie O, knows the father is working late. He ties up Jayme with the intention of taking the mother. Dad comes home, breaks down the door and is shot. Perp panics, shoots Mom, cuts Jayme loose and brings her with him because she can ID him/needs a hostage/she was actually the object of his fantasies.
  2. The perp is looking for money or drugs. He picks a random house, off the road. Ties up Jayme to force Mom to tell where valuables are. Dad comes home, breaks down the door and is shot. Same ending as #1 above.
  3. I actually was about to include a scenario where Mom was tied up, but if she was, why would the perp cut her loose? Maybe rape? Was Mom sexually assaulted?

I really think someone was tied to that chair at some point. There appeared to be blood on it. Perhaps the perp was beating info out of one of them making the other 2 watch. What was he seeking? Whose blood was on the chair?

Questions that need answers:

Did LE break down the door? Log says “door has been kicked in”. I think the officer is reporting the way he found it, not that he did it. Also the report that “he was answering the door and was shot” probably should have been preceded by, “It looks like”. There was no way for the officer to have known what exactly happened at that point. Were Dad’s feet towards the door or his head? Was he shot in the front or the back?

Why did they initially suspect suicide? Did the call from Denise’s phone have someone yelling “Don’t shoot”?

Regarding the neighbor’s account of the gunshots and the timing: The wife said that LE told her that her clock was off by 8 minutes and that the shots would have been at approximately 12:38 not 12:30 as she originally thought. In one of her statements she said she went back to bed and got up about a half hour later to look out the window but didn’t see anything. That would have been about 1:15. Why didn’t she see the flurry of activity at the Closs’? (At least the blue or red emergency lights of the first responders.)

There has been a lot of discussion as to why the perp would hang around after the 2 loud gunshots at 12:38. I don’t think he would worry about someone reporting shots in that area. What did send him running was the call on Denise’s cellphone to 911. I think the commotion that LE reports hearing may have been him discovering Denise, or Jayme, trying to make that call.

LE reported they did not see other vehicles on the road as they responded to the call. Since they focused their search to the west of the Closs home, I suspect that they responded from the east. That was the direction of town so the suspect probably drove away from town as he made his escape.

These are all my random thoughts as I try to figure out this mystery.
The neighbor stated that she thought she thought it was a neighbor running off bears. Also , the area is known for hunting. Apparenty, it was not uncommon to hear gunshots.
Also, she said the police did not use sirens. She said she would have not been able to see the police at the house due to woods between the properties.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members