WI- John Craig Schmutzer, 24, Fatally stabbed at Devil’s Lake State Park, Sauk County- 14 Oct 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
According to his LinkedIn page, the victim studied finance at the University of Wisconsin-Madison (about 50 minutes away from Devil's Lake) from 2014 to 2018 and had been working as a financial analyst at a bank in the Milwaukee area for almost two years.

I feel so sorry for the loss of this young life, and for his family and friends.

Yes, it is. My husband and I went hiking at the park a few weeks earlier, on a weekday morning. It's so hard to imagine violence there. Tragic falls by rock climbers, yes, but something like this? Nope.

I wonder if it was a random act of violence?

Yes, it is. My husband and I went hiking at the park a few weeks earlier, on a weekday morning. It's so hard to imagine violence there. Tragic falls by rock climbers, yes, but something like this? Nope.

I wonder if it was a random act of violence?
If it was a random act of violence, could it have been related to the riots that happened in Wauwatosa just a few days before?

If it was a random act of violence, could it have been related to the riots that happened in Wauwatosa just a few days before?

Possibly, since that is where the victim was from, although Wauwatosa is a fair distance (115 miles) from Devil's Lake. From the little I know about the victim, a connection with the protests isn't obvious to me.

Witnesses said they saw a man running “frantically” and “out of control” north from the parking lot at the group camp in front of traffic, presumably onto or near Grottos Trail then north on East Bluff Trail to the north shore area of Devil's Lake, according to Wednesday's news release. The man was said to have fallen down multiple times while running.
Witnesses described the man to be about 6 feet tall with a slender-to-average build. He was wearing darker-colored pants with ripped out knees, a dark-colored top and possibly a hoodie. The clothing was described as “not standard running apparel."

Last edited:

Witnesses said they saw a man running “frantically” and “out of control” north from the parking lot at the group camp in front of traffic, presumably onto or near Grottos Trail then north on East Bluff Trail to the north shore area of Devil's Lake, according to Wednesday's news release. The man was said to have fallen down multiple times while running.
Witnesses described the man to be about 6 feet tall with a slender-to-average build. He was wearing darker-colored pants with ripped out knees, a dark-colored top and possibly a hoodie. The clothing was described as “not standard running apparel." (14 Oct 2020)

Sounds like the River Guy.

"River Guy"​

Several witnesses remember seeing, on October 16, 1994, around 5:30 PM, a young man in his early twenties near the same area where the body was found. The man, who was wearing similar clothing as found with John Clinton Doe, was seen running and stumbling in Turtle Creek, visibly intoxicated and distraught. Dubbed "River Guy" by local investigators, he was reported by witnesses to have fallen in the water two or three times, trying to climb up the embankment and yelling at bystanders, telling them to get away from him.

IMO: These two are one and the same and was involved in the death of Carl Isaacs Jr.

"Disorganized Offenders

Disorganized crimes, in contrast, are not planned and the criminals typically leave evidence such as fingerprints or blood at the scene of the murder. There is often no attempt to move or otherwise conceal the corpse after the murder. Disorganized criminals may be young, under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or mentally ill. They often have deficient communication and social skills and may be below average intelligence.
The disorganized offender is likely to come from an unstable or dysfunctional family. Disorganized offenders often have been abused physically or sexually by relatives. They are often sexually inhibited, sexually uninformed, and may have sexual aversions or other pathologies. They are more likely than organized criminals to be compulsive masturbators.
They are often isolated from others, live alone and are frightened or confused during the commission of their murders. They often do not have reliable transportation, so they kill their victims closer to home than organized offenders.
Significantly, disorganized killers will often “blitz” their victims—that is, use sudden and overwhelming force to assault them. The victim’s body is usually left where the attack took place and the killer makes no attempt to hide it."

IMO: These two are one and the same and was involved in the death of Carl Isaacs Jr.
I can’t wait to see if you are right. I was looking at this way differently; I thought Carl Isaacs Jr was River Guy. However, if this shambling man is not CJR and is actually a separate person… that really opens us up to some things! Wonder if River Guy is seen in town ever; you’ll freeze your butt off out there all year round!

I can’t wait to see if you are right. I was looking at this way differently; I thought Carl Isaacs Jr was River Guy. However, if this shambling man is not CJR and is actually a separate person… that really opens us up to some things! Wonder if River Guy is seen in town ever; you’ll freeze your butt off out there all year round!
"IMO: These two are one and the same and was involved in the death of Carl Isaacs Jr."

Specifically, I'm referring to 'these two' as being 'River Guy' and one of the suspects in the Barbara Nelson murders being one and the same person with the initials SRB. He's never seen in town because he now lives in Illinois and has been for several years.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucychester
Back