GUILTY WI - LAKE GENEVA SUITCASE MURDERS, Laura Simonson & Jenny Gamez - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.kenoshanews.com/news/def...in_preparation_for_zelich_case_479460381.html

The Kenosha County homicide and hiding a corpse charges were filed in August. Zelich was in court on the local charges Tuesday. Defense attorney Jonathan Carver Smith said he had viewed 2,200 pages of discovery materials — reports and other information prosecutors possess that they must share with the defense before trial — but still had CDs, DVDs, and other items to review.

Smith said he has also been talking with District Attorney Robert Zapf about possible resolutions to the case — like the possibility for plea negotiations or if they will be headed to trial — and needs to “sit down and spend some quality time with Mr. Zelich,” before they are ready to say anything definitive to the court...

The parties are due in court Nov. 14 for a pre-trial conference.

Thanks for posting this. "Plea negotiations?" - "IF they will be headed to trial?" I hope he gets a chance to spend some "quality time" with Mr. Zelich before November 14th. Admittedly, I'm cynical - hoping he doesn't get away with murder.

Thanks for posting this. "Plea negotiations?" - "IF they will be headed to trial?" I hope he gets a chance to spend some "quality time" with Mr. Zelich before November 14th. Admittedly, I'm cynical - hoping he doesn't get away with murder.

Me too Judy. But then there are still charges pending in MN. I can't imagine the amount of material the defense needs to sift through, perhaps they will realize that he's indefensible? He'd have to plead to homicide and it's doubtful that prosecution is going to go easy on him. (that's my expectation)

State of Wisconsin vs. Steven M. Zelich

Kenosha County Case Number 2014CF000898

Court Record Events

10-21-2014
Status conference
Schroeder, Bruce E.
Delany, Pamela S.

Additional Text:

Minutes: Clerk/T. Lema. DA Zapf appeared for the State. Deft appeared in custody w/Atty Jonathan Smith. Mutual request for another status in approx 30 days. Status conf set for 11/14/14 @ 10:30am.

11-14-2014
Order
Schroeder, Bruce E.

Additional Text:

Scheduling Order
11-14-2014
Status conference
Schroeder, Bruce E.
Delany, Pamela S.

Additional Text:

Minutes: Clerk/T. Lema. DA Zapf appeared for the State. Deft appeared in custody w/Atty Jonathan Smith. Case not resolved. FPT 4/24/15 @ 10am, JS 5/4/15 @ 9am. Approx length of trial is five days. State's "Other Acts" motion shall be filed by March 1, 2015.

Date
Event
Court Official
Court Reporter
01-22-2015
Notes

Additional Text:

File scanning completed in 204
12-09-2014
Memorandum

Additional Text:

of the State in Support of State's Other Acts Motion
12-09-2014
Affidavit

Additional Text:

of DA Zapf in Support of the State's Motion to Admit Other Acts Evidence
12-09-2014
Notice of motion, motion

Additional Text:

to Admit Other Acts Evidence at Deft's Trial - filed by DA Zapf

I'm new here. can anyone tell me what does "to Admit Other Acts Evidence at Deft's Trial" mean? Are they going to be able to use information from Laura's case in Jenny's trial?

Sorry that I don't know the answer to your question, but glad to see something happening in this case. Still strongly believe there are others.

03-06-2015
Receipt

Amount

$ 1.25

Additional Text:

15R 008647
03-06-2015
Receipt

Amount

$ 3.75

Additional Text:

15R 008647
03-05-2015
Brief

Additional Text:

in Opposition to State's Motion to Admit Other Acts Evidence filed by Atty Smith
03-05-2015
Motion in limine

Additional Text:

Defendant's First Motions in Limine filed by Atty Smith.

I'm not sure what all this means, either but will keep you posted on what is going on in the courts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_in_limine

"Examples of motions in limine would be that the attorney for the defendant may ask the judge to refuse to admit into evidence any personal information, or medical, criminal or financial records, using the legal grounds that these records are irrelevant, immaterial, unreliable, or unduly prejudicial, and/or that their probative value is outweighed by the prejudicial result to the defendant, or that the admittance of such information or evidence would otherwise violate one of the court's rules of evidence."

04-02-2015
Witness list - plaintiff

Additional Text:

Demand for Discovery - AMENDED filed by DA R Zapf
03-25-2015
Notice

Additional Text:

and Intent to use expert and summary of testimony (Donald Simley, DDS) filed by DA Zapf
03-19-2015
Notice

Additional Text:

and intent to use expert and summary of testimony (Donald Simley, DDS)
03-19-2015
Notice

Additional Text:

and intent to use expert and summary of testimony (Dr.Linda Biedrzycki / Waukesha County ME)
03-19-2015
Notice

Additional Text:

and intent to use DNA evidence at trial and summary of expert testimony (DNA analyst Burns)
03-19-2015
Notice

Additional Text:

State's notice and intent to use defts statements at trial filed by DA Zapf

State of Wisconsin vs. Steven M. Zelich

Kenosha County Case Number 2014CF000898

Court Record Events

04-06-2015

Letters/correspondence

Additional Text:

from DA Zapf re: unresolved issues & need for possible adjournment of 5/4 trial date

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

04-06-2015

Proposed jury instructions

Additional Text:

of Deft

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

04-06-2015

Witness list - defendant

04-02-2015

Witness list - plaintiff

Additional Text:

Demand for Discovery - AMENDED filed by DA R Zapf

03-25-2015

Notice

Additional Text:

and Intent to use expert and summary of testimony (Donald Simley, DDS) filed by DA Zapf

03-19-2015

Notice

Additional Text:

and intent to use expert and summary of testimony (Donald Simley, DDS)

03-19-2015

Notice

Additional Text:

and intent to use expert and summary of testimony (Dr.Linda Biedrzycki / Waukesha County ME)

03-19-2015

Notice

Additional Text:

and intent to use DNA evidence at trial and summary of expert testimony (DNA analyst Burns)

03-19-2015

Notice

Additional Text:

State's notice and intent to use defts statements at trial filed by DA Zapf

03-19-2015

Proposed jury instructions

Additional Text:

State's - filed by DA Zapf

03-19-2015

Witness list - plaintiff

Additional Text:

Demand for Discovery filed by DA Zapf

03-10-2015

Affidavit

Additional Text:

State's supplemental affidavit in support of State's other acts motion filed by DA Zapf.

an update:

04-17-2015
Letters/correspondence

Additional Text:

from DA Zaph to Atty Jonathan Smith - Enclosed copies of the following Minnesota DNA Crime Lab reports
04-06-2015
Letters/correspondence

from DA Zapf re: unresolved issues & need for possible adjournment of 5/4 trial date

Wisconsin:
http://fox11online.com/2015/04/24/hearing-for-ex-police-officer-accused-in-suitcase-deaths/

"Hearing for Ex-Police Officer Accused in Suitcase Deaths
A former police officer is due in court for a hearing on accusations he killed a woman whose body was found in a suitcase discarded along a rural Wisconsin highway...." SBM

and

Minnesota:
http://kimt.com/2015/04/23/suspect-in-suitcase-bodies-case-may-soon-face-local-charges/

"Suspect in Suitcase Bodies Case May Soon Face Local Charges
Police believe Simonson was killed in a hotel in Rochester. According to Rochester Police Department, investigators in Olmsted County have wrapped up their investigation and have passed the case to the county attorney, who will determine if charges are appropriate. Although they would not give a specific timetable, officials believe a decision will be made soon....."

04-24-2015
Stipulation and Order
Schroeder, Bruce E.

Additional Text:

to Adjourn Trial
04-24-2015
Motion hearing
Schroeder, Bruce E.
Techert, Margaret

Additional Text:

Minutes: Clerk/T. Lema. DA Zapf appeared for the State. Deft appeared in custody w/Atty Jonathan Smith & Atty Steven Krohn. Arguments heard on the State's motion to admit other acts; motion is denied. Goodchild determination will be made during the trial. Stipulation to adjourn present trial date is submitted; granted by the Court. FPT set for 10/16/15 @ 11am. JS 11/16/15 @ 9am.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CATCHASE
Back