GUILTY WI - LAKE GENEVA SUITCASE MURDERS, Laura Simonson & Jenny Gamez - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Keeping an eye on the local news. It might be interrupted on occasion due to the Malaysian aircraft tragedy. I'll try and post what we find out.

A few thoughts or observations:
(a) Afternoon court in Milw. is usually around 1:15-1:30pm. After the judges, deputies, and staff come back from lunch. That does not necessarily mean his case will be heard at that time, though. It just means he is on the list of people to be in court that day. Sometimes, you can wait forever...sometimes even your case gets bumped entirely if there is not enough time. My guess is that he will be seen, however, sooner than later simply because this is so high profile. He is probably not being held with the general inmate population, but under "protective custody," which means they are going to want him to get into court and get out as quickly as possible and take him back to his cell (I am pretty sure he is in solitary confinement);
(b) They showed a picture of the "fire escape" to the salon. It actually is a 1-flight staircase. So, he was not scaling the side of a building or anything, like he was on a ladder...he was walking up stairs. Regardless, I see no reason why he was doing this as a patrol officer if he was not perusing a subject or checking on a safety issue;
(c) The woman from the hair salon, according to a co-worker, was "blocked-in" by SZ on at least 4-5 occasions;
(d) If I recall correctly, when I saw the local news of SZ when the story broke and media was live and on-scene at the time LE was bringing stuff out of his apartment, it was a refrigerator forensics was hauling out...not a freezer. And apartment-sized refrigerator (which are pretty small). That does not mean anything, though...since they may have just grabbed the fridge from his apartment just in case;
(e) I lived in apartment where we had an awful smell. I work in property management (not for the company that owned the building I lived in, however). I KNEW it was something dead...I KNOW that smell since I have ran across it a few times, myself. I called property management of my building numerous times and asked them to check it out. They sent maintenance to my unit and then dismissed it as possibly a dead animal caught in the walls or perhaps that the boiler needed to be flushed (think, radiator heat). I was like, "Nope, you morons...something is DEAD...if it were in the walls they are plaster...I would not be able to smell it. And I know enough about boiler systems to know it ain't that, either" They ignored me. Sure enough, a few weeks later the mail lady called the police because the guy had not yet picked up his SS check and it was over a month. The elderly gentleman had passed in his sleep and no one knew (he did not have contact with family and his rent was just automatically deducted from his bank account). So, to make a long story longer, it is possible other tenants complained but nothing was done. And IF (and I am just saying IF), property management of SZ's apartment gave him a notice...chances are he had plenty of time to clean. I personally have given these notices myself, and they usually say something like, "We have had complaints about (blah, blah, blah) and you have "x amount of time" to remedy this situation (usually 72 hours) or you will be evicted". Depends if he was on a lease or month-to-month...but typically, it is 72 hours. You HAVE TO give notice to enter...for the properties I work for, it is 24 hours...but it varies from company to company...sometimes it is 48 hours (it is in the lease). So, he had plenty of time to "clean up" if, in fact, the West Allis Police did come to his apartment;
(f) I am surprised no one he worked with complained about him reeking like hell. The smell of decomposing flesh "sticks" to everything, including your clothing. I know...I have cleaned out homes following finding someone who is deceased that has been there for awhile. I burn those uniforms (not literally, I just throw them out)...but really...it hangs on you and your clothing even after you leave the premises. Now, this is just speculation, but if he was working for a security company (Securitas) they provide your uniforms...you just turn them in and grab another (or five) as you need them. Perhaps this is the reason he did not "stink" is because he changed at work. I have had jobs like this where they have your uniforms at your job and you change there (and sometimes shower)...you do not bring them home. That could possible explain a little. As I said, however, this is just speculation, not fact;
(g) I worked for a construction company that remodeled all the rooms in the very Sheridon Hotel that he supposedly was a security guard at for awhile. FYI...I do not know SZ, do not recognize him at ALL. But, that doesn't mean anything since as a construction worker I went through a completely different entrance and used the service elevator. They frown upon us "dirty" construction people being in the lobby or anywhere where general public can see us. So, there is very little chance of me every running into a security officer. My rambling leads to this: They were SUPER strict about who got keys to any room. It was a WAY BIG pain in the butt to get a passkey if we had to get into another room. Maybe because we were construction workers, maybe security is different...but in my experience, they were SUPER careful about who got passkeys and you practically had to give up your first born to get one. So, my hope is, as a security guard, SZ did not have access to rooms. But knowing that Sheridon, I am pretty sure he did not, and if so, they have some digital record of that.

Okay, hoped that helped a little. Sorry for the rambling...I am just typing as I am thinking.

Keeping an eye on the local news. It might be interrupted on occasion due to the Malaysian aircraft tragedy. I'll try and post what we find out.

(a) Afternoon court in Milw. is usually around 1:15-1:30pm. After the judges, deputies, and staff come back from lunch. That does not necessarily mean his case will be heard at that time, though. It just means he is on the list of people to be in court that day. Sometimes, you can wait forever...sometimes even your case gets bumped entirely if there is not enough time. My guess is that he will be seen, however, sooner than later simply because this is so high profile. He is probably not being held with the general inmate population, but under "protective custody," which means they are going to want him to get into court and get out as quickly as possible and take him back to his cell (I am pretty sure he is in solitary confinement);

Zelich will appear in court in Walworth county, not Milwaukee. His scheduled time is 1:15, which is about 5 minutes from now.

I could hardly hear what was said. I know he pleaded not guilty. Was the next date September 23rd? I think I heard that right.

I could hardly hear what was said. I know he pleaded not guilty. Was the next date September 23rd? I think I heard that right.

That is normal. The attorneys plea for you...and it is ALWAYS "not guilty". They do this so they have time to put together a defense.

OF course he hid the corpses. He put them in a suitcase and he avoided LE when they came looking for LS. His lawyer must have forgotten such. It appears he has nothing to work with and is grasping at straws.

OF course he hid the corpses. He put them in a suitcase and he avoided LE when they came looking for LS. His lawyer must have forgotten such. It appears he has nothing to work with and is grasping at straws.

And he did not put them where they could be found (Attorney said he wanted them found). He put then in the tall grass along the side of the road. Grass cutters? Road Maintenance? Not sure who but they moved the suitcases to the open road. Also attorney said he wanted them found cause they were dumped by a police station. Zelich lives exactly 33 blocks from WAPD and on the same street - he didn't have to drive to Lake Geneva if he wanted the bodies found.

Does anybody have a link to the hearing?? I forgot I'm in a different time zone and missed it. I heard he pleaded not guilty but would still like to watch the hearing.

Not guilty: Zelich enters plea on two charges of hiding a corpse in “bodies in suitcases” case

Posted 6:22 am, July 17, 2014, by AP Wire Service, Updated at 01:46pm, July 17, 2014

ELKHORN (AP) — A former police officer suspected in the deaths of two women has pleaded not guilty to charges that he tried to hide their bodies in suitcases dumped along a rural Wisconsin road.

Steven Zelich pleads not guilty in suitcase bodies
By Megan Trimble
Updated: 1:33 p.m

Steven Zelich pleaded not guilty Thursday to two charges of hiding a corpse during a brief hearing in Walworth County Circuit Court.

Zelich, who appeared from jail via video feed, will have a status hearing in the case Sept. 23.

Zelich, 52, was bound over for trial earlier this month on charges in connection with the discovery of two women's bodies found inside suitcases along a Town of Geneva road June 5. He remains in the Walworth County jail on $1 million bail.

More at the links

Does anybody have a link to the hearing?? I forgot I'm in a different time zone and missed it. I heard he pleaded not guilty but would still like to watch the hearing.

sorry, I couldn't find a link today. the downed flight in russia has become a live feed on many channels.

Judy ~ re: location of bodies, SZ is smart enough to know that planting a body in an outside jurisdiction would muddy the waters. (still trying to figure out WHY he chose Geneva, WI)

(a) Afternoon court in Milw. is usually around 1:15-1:30pm. After the judges, deputies, and staff come back from lunch. That does not necessarily mean his case will be heard at that time, though. It just means he is on the list of people to be in court that day.

SZ is in Walworth County jail, has been since his arrest. He will stay there until the end of this part of the case I presume.

Good thought - has it been confirmed she met him on-line? Have I missed this information?

http://www.kdrv.com/oakridge-mom-linked-to-murder-suspect/

It's not clear whether they met directly online, but this article says:

http://www.startribune.com/local/267477251.html

This article says:
Zelich told investigators he met the two women online, set up dates at hotels in Wisconsin and Minnesota, and killed them during bondage sex, a detective testified last month.

Zelich's attorney, Travis Schwantes, has said the charges might not hold up because prosecutors need to show the former West Allis officer was trying to conceal a crime. Zelich claims he killed the two women accidentally during sexual encounters that involved bondage, a detective has testified.

Walworth County District Attorney Daniel Necci questioned Schwantes' interpretation of the law on Thursday but did not go into details, saying "that's an argument we can have down the road."

who else finds this absurd? SZ kept Jenny Gamez's body for approximately 18 months. Was that was not an attempt to conceal a corpse? I'd say he successfully concealed it. of course, they are going to have fun playing with words . . .

as far as filing charges, so curious what evidence MN's DA will produce (long after Nov '13) that proves that Laura died in the hotel room? (not convinced)

Anyone have guesses as to when/if charges will be filed in MN anywhere and/or in Kenosha County? I've still seen very little coverage of what happened and at what hotel it happened in Kenosha but that one story that discussed ownership changes of the hotel.

Zelich's attorney, Travis Schwantes, has said the charges might not hold up because prosecutors need to show the former West Allis officer was trying to conceal a crime. Zelich claims he killed the two women accidentally during sexual encounters that involved bondage, a detective has testified.

who else finds this absurd? SZ kept Jenny Gamez's body for approximately 18 months. Was that was not an attempt to conceal a corpse? I'd say he successfully concealed it. of course, they are going to have fun playing with words . . .

as far as filing charges, so curious what evidence MN's DA will produce (long after Nov '13) that proves that Laura died in the hotel room? (not convinced)

Anyone have guesses as to when/if charges will be filed in MN anywhere and/or in Kenosha County? I've still seen very little coverage of what happened and at what hotel it happened in Kenosha but that one story that discussed ownership changes of the hotel.

can't help you out there as that's all I've seen discussed (here). I believe that's what SZ told LE during interviews.

I find the commentary from SZ's defense atty in Walworth County foretelling:

Schwantes said later that it would be hard for Necci to prove Zelich meant to kill the women since Zelich was the only person alive who knew what happened in the hotel rooms in Kenosha County, Wisconsin, and Rochester, Minnesota. He also said Zelich had other bondage sessions with other women that did not end in death.

"I think it will become clear, without a doubt, that he interacted, dated, had relationships with more than just the two women in this case," Schwantes said. He declined to go into detail but said Zelich had multiple relationships in person and online, some of which involved bondage and some of which didn't.

wondering if we will get a parade of character witnesses from the "I had a great bondage experience w/Zelich fan club".

Schwantes said later that it would be hard for Necci to prove Zelich meant to kill the women since Zelich was the only person alive who knew what happened in the hotel rooms

isn't that convenient?

"I think it will become clear, without a doubt, that he interacted, dated, had relationships with more than just the two women in this case," Schwantes said. He declined to go into detail but said Zelich had multiple relationships in person and online, some of which involved bondage and some of which didn't.

I agree OhThatVictoria,

Schwantes is grabbing at straws, here. It's like saying. "Well, he dated some women he didn't kill, too." And, "He's the only one alive so you can't prove anything."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IamNobody
Back