WI - Nurse Mary K. Brown, 38, amputates dying man's foot without permission for taxidermy display - 11/5/22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hospice could possibly mean the person was dying at home. Some locations actually have hospice facilities in the US, but not many.
well, looks like I found another word I never heard of, does anybody here know what she looks like? is she old? what is here age, cause when I search it up, it just shows pictures of random woman and the articles for the case, and some of these woman might not even be her, does she even have social media perhaps?

The articles are very brief and lacking a lot of details.

It appears, however, that the following occurred:

An old man developed frostbite.
He was too sick or debilitated for hospital amputation and was sent to hospice.
Possibly the foot began to autoamputate (the process of falling off - a long and sometimes painful process) and the nurse may have completed the amputation.

The whole conversation about a doctor giving an amputation order to a nurse is strange. If this foot was simply hanging by a thread, however, it might be reasonable.

Taking the foot, however, would be inexcusable. There are a few Christian sects who literally take the Book of Daniel's description of people being raised back to life from their bones and believe that people buried with missing limbs are resurrected without those limbs. Georgia, for example, requires a specific consent form for hospitals to dispose of amputated limbs.

Dead tissue can self-amputate.
Yes, but it sounds like the nurse was instructed specifically NOT to help it along. Orders should have been written to debride and/or remove the foot, after administering pain meds. It’s hospice, they could have administered very high levels of pain meds. Perhaps the man didn’t feel a thing, as he was already medicated, but following appropriate protocols, handling the situation properly and documenting it would have preserved the man’s dignity and kept the nurse from facing taxidermy rumors and accusations.

I guess my question is whether, regardless of anything else (self-amputation, ‘dangling by a few tissues’, etc) - would it ever be within an American RN’s scope if practice to perform an amputation, permission or not?

I guess my question is whether, regardless of anything else (self-amputation, ‘dangling by a few tissues’, etc) - would it ever be within an American RN’s scope if practice to perform an amputation, permission or not?
Yes, an RN could clean and debride the wound which could cause the foot to separate from the body, depending on bone and joint condition. Others have told their stories, and I have found a toe in the bed in a burn unit, so if the foot was that close to separating, normal care, even rolling the patient, could cause it to come off.

But all of this should be documented. If things were handled according to protocols and with dignity, we would never be hearing this kind of story. Or, there is a possibility the nurse did everything correctly and someone is starting rumors because they dislike her? Or the family is accusing the hospice facility of poor care? I have no idea.

Yes, but it sounds like the nurse was instructed specifically NOT to help it along. Orders should have been written to debride and/or remove the foot, after administering pain meds. It’s hospice, they could have administered very high levels of pain meds. Perhaps the man didn’t feel a thing, as he was already medicated, but following appropriate protocols, handling the situation properly and documenting it would have preserved the man’s dignity and kept the nurse from facing taxidermy rumors and accusations.
She may not have helped it along. People have very vivid imaginations in my experience.

This article has more detailed information.
Nurse charged after removing patient’s foot without permission

“Staff of the nursing home said that Brown did not seek or obtain a doctor’s order for the amputation, and that it was outside of the scope of her job responsibilities to remove the foot, according to court documents. Brown also did not have permission from the man to perform the amputation, according to the criminal complaint. The director of the facility said that Brown did not document the incident and that the procedure should have been done by a doctor.

Perhaps she meant to provide compassionate care but she should have followed the rules and worked within her responsibilities. And if the amputation was an auto amputation I don’t think the director of the facility would have referred to it as a procedure.

This article has more detailed information.

“Staff of the nursing home said that Brown did not seek or obtain a doctor’s order for the amputation, and that it was outside of the scope of her job responsibilities to remove the foot, according to court documents. Brown also did not have permission from the man to perform the amputation, according to the criminal complaint. The director of the facility said that Brown did not document the incident and that the procedure should have been done by a doctor.

Perhaps she meant to provide compassionate care but she should have followed the rules and worked within her responsibilities. And if the amputation was an auto amputation I don’t think the director of the facility would have referred to it as a procedure.
And no documentation of a missing foot? Ugh… this is really sick.

All of the articles I have seen leave out important details. In this case, I wonder how the Medical Examiner became involved.

Laws and customs vary tremendously between different states, but in most cases, with the expected death of a hospice patient, the body would be released directly to the funeral home. Did an employee of the nursing home tip off the ME, did a funeral director do so, or did the funeral home take the body from the nursing home to a location where a legal death pronouncement could be performed?

It would seem that the nursing home should be under a lot of scrutiny. There were apparently witnesses who did nothing at the time. There was a foul-smelling foot stored in a freezer - in this case obviously a freezer intended for some other purpose. From these brief articles, it seems like everyone was OK with what happened until the Medical Examiner got involved.

I also question the mental status of the nurse involved. Apparently this man fell in his home in the winter in his home when the heater wasn't working. This is not a good example for why people should wear their boots.

“The Pierce County Medical Examiner called for an autopsy after noticing that the foot of the person, a 62-year-old man, was not attached to his body but laying beside him at the funeral home.”

it doesn’t state specifically that someone at the funeral home called the ME, but I’d guess thats what happened. Maybe the funeral home person noticed that the foot was amputated in an unprofessional manner or isnt used to seeing bodies sent in with random unattached parts included. If foot had been removed for a medical reason, even just compassionate care, it would/should have been disposed of properly as medical waste. Heck, they wouldn’t even let us keep a kidney stone a family member had removed. Said rules got real strict after HIV became known about.

and you are right… that nursing home needs to be under big time scrutiny! Horrible that something like this happened. lawsuit waiting to happen I’d bet.

”The man died on June 2, six days after losing his foot. A nursing aide who spoke with state investigators said the man "really declined after his foot was gone," according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, which reviewed a state inspection report.

No doctor authorized or ordered an amputation of the man's foot. And as a nurse, Brown did not have the authority or training to provide an amputation in any case because such a procedure is simply outside of the scope of practice for registered nurses. Further, the man, a 62-year-old patient who was not cognitively impaired and was in charge of making his own medical decisions, had not consented to the amputation.

Gruesome details​

The man had been placed in the nursing home, Spring Valley Health and Rehabilitation Center, in March after he fell in his home with the heat turned off, leading to frostbite that left his feet blackened and necrotic.

State inspectors found that once he was placed in the care of the nursing home, staff failed to notify hospice or any physician that the man's condition was worsening. Though they should have been conducting weekly assessments of his feet, the facility did not perform any assessments over months.

Two days before Brown cut off the man's foot, the patient fell from his bed, injuring his foot further, and was delirious and "talking in word salad," according to the state's inspection report.”

”The man died on June 2, six days after losing his foot. A nursing aide who spoke with state investigators said the man "really declined after his foot was gone," according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, which reviewed a state inspection report.

No doctor authorized or ordered an amputation of the man's foot. And as a nurse, Brown did not have the authority or training to provide an amputation in any case because such a procedure is simply outside of the scope of practice for registered nurses. Further, the man, a 62-year-old patient who was not cognitively impaired and was in charge of making his own medical decisions, had not consented to the amputation.

Gruesome details​

The man had been placed in the nursing home, Spring Valley Health and Rehabilitation Center, in March after he fell in his home with the heat turned off, leading to frostbite that left his feet blackened and necrotic.

State inspectors found that once he was placed in the care of the nursing home, staff failed to notify hospice or any physician that the man's condition was worsening. Though they should have been conducting weekly assessments of his feet, the facility did not perform any assessments over months.

Two days before Brown cut off the man's foot, the patient fell from his bed, injuring his foot further, and was delirious and "talking in word salad," according to the state's inspection report.”
Wow. Sounds like an awful facility.

“The Pierce County Medical Examiner called for an autopsy after noticing that the foot of the person, a 62-year-old man, was not attached to his body but laying beside him at the funeral home.”

it doesn’t state specifically that someone at the funeral home called the ME, but I’d guess thats what happened. Maybe the funeral home person noticed that the foot was amputated in an unprofessional manner or isnt used to seeing bodies sent in with random unattached parts included. If foot had been removed for a medical reason, even just compassionate care, it would/should have been disposed of properly as medical waste. Heck, they wouldn’t even let us keep a kidney stone a family member had removed. Said rules got real strict after HIV became known about.

and you are right… that nursing home needs to be under big time scrutiny! Horrible that something like this happened. lawsuit waiting to happen I’d bet.
So the nurse didn't hack it off and take it home for taxidermy like the headlines suggest?

The care for this poor man sounds terrible, but the headlines seem rather misleading?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB
Back