WI WI - Rose Bly, 21, St. Croix Falls, 21 Aug 2009

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
March 4, 2023 updated

Rose Marie Bly - 10 years and a new approach from Police​

Updated: Mar 4

The Polk County Sheriff's Department held a press conference earlier today to share a new approach to bring attention to the case of Rose Bly, who has now been missing for 10 years. The Sheriff's Department released a documentary to tell Rose's story in hopes that it would generate some new information that could bring answers to Rose's family. The Sheriff's Department has also released an age-progressed photo of Rose and established a new tip line. As in all missing persons cases, someone somewhere knows something. If you have any information on the disappearance of Rose Bly, please contact the Polk County Sheriff's Office at 715-485-8300.

0f4a86_4fc82e31b8db43309f1dfe08427a17ef~mv2.jpg

0f4a86_1a0e1f6b67d74910bd65ba369563e5d0~mv2.jpg

0f4a86_510553d873724d6db4b46fc07532c7e9~mv2.jpg

This is the post from Polk County Sheriff's Department on their Facebook page:

On August 21st, 2009, Rose Marie Bly left her residence in northwest Polk County believed to be on her way to Cushing, Wisconsin.

She has not been seen or heard from since. Ten years have now passed since Rose’s family and friends have seen their loved one.

Since that day, the Polk County Sheriff’s Office has received over 200 tips and have interviewed more than 150 people hoping to find the answer that everyone is searching for….where is she?

This case has always been a priority and we continue to aggressively look into any and all leads as they come in. We will continue to do everything within our power to bring closure to this case for Rose’s family, her friends, and the community.

In an effort to bring this case back into the spotlight the Sheriff’s Office is taking a new approach in an effort to bring this case back into the news. The overall goal? Generate new conversation, and in turn, tips and information which will hopefully help us bring this case to a resolution.

In addition to this video, which highlights Rose’s mom’s painful journey as she continues to look for her youngest daughter, a tip line has also been established at the Sheriff’s Office.

I wonder if they finally found out what story is the most credible. IMO the narrative is still rattling on all sides. Basically the only facts are they found her car (was it processed? findings?) and she is missing.

One year later, no sign of missing woman

by WRN Contributor on August 21, 2010

RoseMarieBly.jpg
This link is still valid. I wanted to paste in one quote “Moore says Bly’s husband reported her missing after 24 hours.” from the article.

Also want to highlight this quote, “Bly left two young children with her husband before she left. Since the disappearance, her husband has filed for a divorce.” from this article from 2011.

And more details from this Charley Project website: “Bly's husband filed for divorce three weeks after her disappearance and sought a court order to prevent her from returning and taking the children. They had married in February 2009. Their relationship was troubled and police were called to the home at least once to intervene in a domestic violence incident; Bly's husband accused her of slapping him, and she accused her of putting her in a headlock and banging her head on the ground. He had previously filed for divorce in June 2009, but withdrew the filing after he and Bly reconciled. Her husband passed a polygraph and he isn't considered a suspect in her disappearance. His divorce petition was granted in 2010 and he has sole custody of their daughters.”

Last edited:
So many of these article links are no longer valid. I’m pasting the text from this one before it disappear.

“No mother would ever hope to recognize an anniversary like the one Candus Harer acknowledged last week. A year ago last Saturday, Harer’s daughter, Rose Marie Bly, then 21, of rural St. Croix Falls, disappeared unexpectedly, leaving few clues as to her whereabouts.

<modsnip - snipped for 10% copyright rule>

Last edited by a moderator:
I find the fact Rose's car was left just parked at a gas station very concerning. I don't think she put it there. I think the location of the car is not relevant to Rose's location (such as places she might have gone that night). I understand the car is a tangible link to her and, of course, it needed to be checked out. I just don't think she drove it there.

Eta: did Candus (Candy) Harer (a.k.a. Rose's mother) live with Rose for a while at Rose's last address? I had not heard that. Although, if she had already left by the time Rose disappeared, she probably has no idea what might have happened that night.

Last edited:
Previous posts say she left on Saturday. Her car was found on Wednesday. No one saw who parked it there. Didn't anyone go through that lot in the four days between her going missing and when the car was found? Knowing how long the car was in the lot could help determine the possible distance the car was driven before it was parked?

Also, maybe @othram could try to find out who the unknown DNA found in her car belonged to?

Rose Marie Bly went missing eight days before her 22nd birthday. She was supposed to meet her cousin at a tavern in Cushing, WI. On 09 Sep 2009, three weeks after she went missing, her husband, Christopher Michael Larson, filed for divorce. According to Ancestry.com Wisconsin public marriage records, Rose Marie Bly and Christopher Michael Larson were married 27 Feb 2009, in Polk County, WI.

The husband of Rose Marie Bly, a St. Croix Falls, Wis., mother of two who has been missing for three weeks, has filed for divorce.

Christopher Larson filed the petition for divorce Thursday in Polk County Circuit Court. His attorney, Adam Benson, said that while Larson is still concerned about his wife’s safety, he also fears she could come home at some point and take the couple’s two children...

cushing.png

There’s a (since closed down) Facebook page about Rose Bly missing that had a lot of activity. The strangest post was related to a woman named Jenna Johnston who on June 19th, 2021 posted that she thought it was her ex-boyfriend who may have killed Rose because she found he had a box of newspaper clippings about Rose. She mentions that he was violent and she’d gotten a restraining order.

The problem is that she didn’t appear very credible - rambling confusing statements. However, there WAS a restraining order I found in WI circuit court case search and I located a man with the same name as having a DV charge in Minnesota. Someone else in the FB comments tipped that the restraining order is under Jennifer J Johnston. And that persons date of birth checks out with her FB profile details (graduation date) and some of her checkin locations.

The “Ryan” person submitted DNA for that, and there’s unknown DNA in the car found I believe?

Maybe I should contact someone? Does anyone else want to try to recreate/verify my findings? It’s so iffy.

Last edited:
There’s a (since closed down) Facebook page about Rose Bly missing that had a lot of activity. The strangest post was related to a woman named Jenna Johnston who on June 19th, 2021 posted that she thought it was her ex-boyfriend who may have killed Rose because she found he had a box of newspaper clippings about Rose. She mentions that he was violent and she’d gotten a restraining order.

The problem is that she didn’t appear very credible - rambling confusing statements. However, there WAS a restraining order I found in WI circuit court case search and I located a man with the same name as having a DV charge in Minnesota. Someone else in the FB comments tipped that the restraining order is under Jennifer J Johnston. And that persons date of birth checks out with her FB profile details (graduation date) and some of her checkin locations.

The “Ryan” person submitted DNA for that, and there’s unknown DNA in the car found I believe?

Maybe I should contact someone? Does anyone else want to try to recreate/verify my findings? It’s so iffy.

I found the "Ryan" and Jenna that would fit a restraining order, BUT, the date of 2019 doesn't fit, nor the state of MN. However, I did find her and another person she had a restraining order against, we'll call him D.G. Now, he fits the criteria. I took all the addresses that he, "Jenna" and Christopher Larson lived at, especially in and around 2009, and mapped them.

DG lived at 7512 W Balsam St, Webster, WI, 7442 Clemenson Dr, Siren, WI and 404 Traffic Ave N., Frederic, WI. Christopher Larson lived at 1544 County Road West, Frederick, WI, 1.9 miles from DG, sometime before and when Bly went missing. I think DG fits the person Jenna/Jennifer was referring to more than 'Ryan" does. DG also has ties to MN according to Ancestry.com's U.S., Index to Public Records, 1994-2019
Also, notice below, DG's addresses (third image) He lived at 7442 Clemenson Dr. in Siren, WI. from 2009-2012. Siren is just 15.3 miles east of Grantsburg, WI, where Bly's car was found. Cushing to Grantsburg to Siren is a straight shot. RG could have easily gotten a ride from Grantsburg to Siren after dropping the vehicle off. He might even have worked there.

I think LE should find out if Bly, her cousin and Larson knew RG or if RG ever frequented the tavern in Cushing that Bly never arrived at (or at least never arrived inside) or whether he worked or socialized in Cushing or Grantsburg.

What say you?

DG.png
Former addresses of Larson, including 2372 East River Rd, where Larson and Bly lived at when she disappeared.
Source: Ancestry.com

larsonaddress.png
Former addresses of DG...

DGaddresses.png

Am i right in assuming that the roads in this 15 mile would have been in nice condition? Because I asked a man if walking 15 miles in good conditions and good weather would be difficult. He said not at all.

Therefore, i think we need to consider in some of these unsolved cases where a car was dumped, it's very likely the person just walked away from it. Maybe they caught a ride ten miles up the road, but their initial exit was just on foot.

So, what about the place that this car was left would it have made it a good place to dump her car? Maybe no cameras in 2009 in that exact area? Maybe somehow the view was temporarily blocked?

ETA: we need to consider also that either the person knew Rose hadn't been reported missing yet or this happened so quickly, it would have been highly unlikely that anyone would report an adult missing that quickly.

I found the "Ryan" and Jenna that would fit a restraining order, BUT, the date of 2019 doesn't fit, nor the state of MN. However, I did find her and another person she had a restraining order against, we'll call him D.G. Now, he fits the criteria. I took all the addresses that he, "Jenna" and Christopher Larson lived at, especially in and around 2009, and mapped them.

DG lived at 7512 W Balsam St, Webster, WI, 7442 Clemenson Dr, Siren, WI and 404 Traffic Ave N., Frederic, WI. Christopher Larson lived at 1544 County Road West, Frederick, WI, 1.9 miles from DG, sometime before and when Bly went missing. I think DG fits the person Jenna/Jennifer was referring to more than 'Ryan" does. DG also has ties to MN according to Ancestry.com's U.S., Index to Public Records, 1994-2019
Also, notice below, DG's addresses (third image) He lived at 7442 Clemenson Dr. in Siren, WI. from 2009-2012. Siren is just 15.3 miles east of Grantsburg, WI, where Bly's car was found. Cushing to Grantsburg to Siren is a straight shot. RG could have easily gotten a ride from Grantsburg to Siren after dropping the vehicle off. He might even have worked there.

I think LE should find out if Bly, her cousin and Larson knew RG or if RG ever frequented the tavern in Cushing that Bly never arrived at (or at least never arrived inside) or whether he worked or socialized in Cushing or Grantsburg.

What say you?

View attachment 494861
Former addresses of Larson, including 2372 East River Rd, where Larson and Bly lived at when she disappeared.
Source: Ancestry.com

View attachment 494863
Former addresses of DG...

View attachment 494880
I cannot locate a restraining order against DG in Wisconsin but I do see where he petitioned for child support from her?

I cannot locate a restraining order against DG in Wisconsin but I do see where he petitioned for child support from her?

2009CV000211 Filing date 07-21-2009 Domestic Abuse-Temp Rest Order - Injunction with firearm restriction.​

Exactly one month before Bly disappeared. They were living at the Balsam St address at the time. Since she's the victim her name isn't listed at WCCA.

rg.png

'Aug 22, 2024
Wednesday marks the 15th anniversary of the disappearance of Rose Marie Bly. Little is known about what happened after she left her home in St. Croix Falls.'
View attachment 526137
So incredibly sad. And sad to know that the family has suffered that twice, the mother losing first a daughter, then a granddaughter -- Summer Wells. Wonder how she's coping? It's just hit me that both were in the summer time . . .

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MsIris1127
Back