GUILTY WI - Samuel Aegerter, 30, killed in road rage incident, Janesville, 4 June 2010

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I want to acknowledge the guts it took for Jim's wife to come here and set the record straight for all involved in this discussion. I think she should be commended for coming here and discussing her own private hell out loud on a public message spot. Thank you val.

I agree with you 100% mssheila. My heart goes out to her and her family and the Aegerter's as well.

Ok, let me get this straight. You have 2 guys out on bikes for a ride and
drinks. End of the night they get into yelling argument with passerbys. Guy
number 1 takes it upon himself to pull out a gun and shoot a man over ego road
rage. Neither party knows man was actually killed til next day. Guy number 2
asks number one to turn himself in. When he refuses, guy 2 does it for him. Then
guy number 1 is picked up with a passport and a borrowed cell phone. Guy 1 also
confesses to stepfather of his son who is a detective almost immediately in this
investigation, yet thinks its off the record. <mod snip> Guy 1 then tries to have his off the record
confession thrown out.

So tell me where this Humphrey fellow is such a great guy? Where? He had no
intention of turning himself in at all. That is pretty darn clear. He was
willing to put the family of the man he murdered through more hell, his buddy,
and his own family and friends. Also the tax payers of this city such as myself,
because had the confession been thrown out there would have been a trial. <modsnip>
If my wife or husband shot and killed someone for
any reason other then self defense I would be mortified. You would think this
sorta thing would humble someone,<modsnip>. Guy 1 shot 2 times and hit the target he
was yelling with! Then there <modsnip> claiming guy 2 should
suffer the same consequences, or that there is an imbalance? How so? People
claim it shouldnt matter when guy 1
FINALLY confessed and owned up, BS.. Because he never would have, but he ran
out of options! Now had these 2 men gone out to rob someone, or mug someone then
I would agree that guy 2 should suffer as well. Yet by all accounts that aint
what happened. Guy 2 should be given a medal for having the balls to actually do
something about this, not chastised for it. The facts are clear on Humphrey. <modsnip> <modsnip>

:banghead:

IMO, I think everyone that has posted about “guy 2” have made their positions very clear. Don’t think you’ll change anyone’s opinion. Asked and answered.:banghead::banghead:

I dont know that there has been any independent corroberation of the statement that Mr. Humphreys was picked up with a passport and a disposable cell phone, if that is what you meant.

And what is the problem if he did have his passport? I carried my for a long time after I lost my DL. I wasnt planning on skipping the country.

I love when locals join in on a thread here. But I'm so lost by all the versions of what happened on this one. :crazy:

I just hope the victim's family finds peace, the shooter pays dearly for what he did, and the other guy (who helped cover it up) pays in some form.

Who is trying to talk someone here into anything? Not me. I know neither party
but have my opinion. I guess if a person wants to carry around a passport thats
great. But if you have a passport on ya after killing someone and not turning
yourself in, then I think that looks pretty bad. It is on court record that
Humphrey had borrowed a cell phone after the shooting from a friend. Claiming he
didnt want to be bothered by police, or recorded because he was already a
suspect. I agree with a couple other posters here that Humphrey is guilty and
has done many wrong in the mean time by trying to dance around it. <modsnip> Just my opinion.

:newhere:

But he was there and knew what happened. Then lied to LE and helped hide the gun.
Those are crimes.

I agree Kimberly, and obviously "guy 2" didn't just sit there expressionless when the Jeep almost hit their motorcycles. I think I may have even read somewhere that he started the pursuit of the Jeep, etc. Mytown- I can't imagine how anyone could think "guy 2" "should get a medal", but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. My guess is you're a friend or relative to be able to say something like that.

WTF090459- again I dont know either party. It seems you and the other 3 or so
posters here know him or his family. I dont care either way, these are not
emotional posts for me as I dont have any ties. So I really dont have much more
to say on the subject other then thanks to the Janesville P.D. for their
diligence and Guy 2 for having the courage to help remove a murderer off our
streets. Most in this community feel the same way. Thank you!

Well, websleuths is a true crime forum. We discuss cases in detail.

If guy #2 hadn't committed a crime, he would not need immunity.
Criminals are not heroes IMO and do not deserve medals. They deserve gray bars.

JMO

So you ARE a local? WS has a process of verifying either case players or those who claim to be locals-it is a simple process to protect those who post here from misrepresentation. All you need to do is email wsverify@xmission.com, include the name of the thread, your WS hat and a means of contacting you.

Good to know we will have another perspective from someone who is there within the town!

Mytown - I only know of one person on here that said they knew Mr. Humphrey or his family, other than Mrs. Humphrey. There are 17 people in our little webslueth group and every single one agrees that guy 2 should have consequences to pay and none of us are personally involved nor live in your city. I find it difficult to believe most people in your city view him as a hero. I agree with Kimberly, criminals are not heroes, especially guy 2. Have you looked at his background? She's also right, people who haven't done anything wrong don't need ANY kind of immunity.

I have not seen anything yet that addresses this imbalance WTF, and I am still curious as to how the use immunity did anything for the DA's office. I would think that they must have offered this to him pretty quickly-and I guess once that was done they couldnt unring the bell. So ultimately, if I am understanding the thread correctly, Mr. Humphrey made the decision to let the judge decide what kind of sentence should be imposed.

I dont understand how anyone could object to the legal manoevers regarding the confession-I would think that is found under defense attorney 101. Request the confession be thrown out, force PD to prove suspect was Mirandized...I mean can anyone think of a case where this was not done???

I think that Hall had a hell of an attorney that he could convince the DA to give him use immunity. And while I am not casting aspersions on anyone, it is hard to believe that this would not be incentive to make sure that any part of the crime could not be associated with him...like the weapon. These are just my thoughts regarding this. Again, it is the three families that are paying so heavily for this now.

Mshelia &#8211; <mod snip> I thought I read on a post here that Hall has a <modsnip> wife that didn&#8217;t come into the picture until after all of this happened, but I could have confused it with other cases we&#8217;re watching, or the post could have been bumped. Also, we&#8217;ve read every record we could find about this case, and never heard anything about a borrowed cell phone, so where would that information have come from? You can take comfort in knowing that your friend is a good person who made a really, really bad mistake while impaired. Even though that&#8217;s not an excuse, it is an explanation of sorts. He doesn&#8217;t have an extensive criminal record and he and his family are paying dearly for what he did. It&#8217;s too bad that it&#8217;s not looking like Hall will be paying for his part in all of it.

1. Today is a sad day for my family and for Jim's family. His non-supporters should be extremely happy, because "their devil incarnate" is going to be sentenced. I'm going to the sentencing at 9 CST AM. I will come back and report if I'm not too much of a mess. He's a good friend to my family. We will miss the happy-go-lucky Jim. I'm very sad and I hope I can help Val just get through this part. She's a strong woman and I believe she will be okay.
I will let everyone know how it goes asap after the hearing. This is a tragic day for the many families who support our friend, Jim. Sad day.

Hugs mssheila. My prayers to all of the families who have been leveled in this case.

His plea bargain was 20 years and 20 years parole. The judge declined the deal. He got 45 years, hard time and 10 years parole. He will probably not get out of prison in his lifetime. I'm so sad.... crushed. For both sides. The victims family was CRUSHED, and Jim's family (kids, mostly) ran out of the courtroom in tears. My ex ran out of the courtroom... chasing after Jim's son. He was worried he'd throw himself in front of a car or jump in the river.... It was the worst thing I've ever seen. I've never seen a murder trial sentencing and it's traumatic!

If you have it in you, please pray for Jim's family, and the victim's family. It was awful. There arent words for the despair in that room. No words.:sick:

When Jim addressed the court, it was a heartfelt sorry (but he said there were no words for the "sorry" he had in his heart for the victim and his family)... It was touching, but the judge wasn't having any of it.

ETA: I am not 100% sure, but I didn't see Hall or his <modsnip> wife there at all. <modsnip> Ugh.

http://gazettextra.com/weblogs/late...ille-man-sentenced-45-years-prison-homicide-/

<SNIP>

JANESVILLE -- A Janesville man was sentenced to 45 years in prison Friday for fatally shooting another man after a dispute at Five Points intersection.
James Humphrey, 45, was sentenced in Rock County Court on the charge of first-degree reckless homicide.
Judge Kenneth Forbeck's sentence was 25 years in prison more than the 20-year plea agreement, drawing cheers and claps from the crowd. Forbeck had to ask the crowd to quiet down.
Meanwhile, Humphrey's family quickly left the courtroom when the sentence was announced.

<SNIP>

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back