GUILTY WI - Samuel Aegerter, 30, killed in road rage incident, Janesville, 4 June 2010

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Believe, just to clarify. I never thought Mr. Humphrey should not be held accountable for the crime he has admitted to. From the beginning I was satisfied that he was in jail and would be held accountable for his crime, if he had committed one. My only problem with Mr. Hall is that he will not be held accountable for his part in this – at any time. If he had been given consequences to pay for this, because of the circumstances, I would have wanted leniency for him as well. After I did a little Google research on Mr. Hall and found that he had, IMO, an extensive record, that’s what, IMO, made him a menace. I didn’t go as far as to say a threat. I didn’t see any links on here showing a past criminal record for Mr. Humphrey. I did the same Google search on Mr. Humphrey as I did on Mr. Hall and found nothing. Yes, I agree, this situation is truly awful for everyone involved.

Thank you WTF090459-Given Mr. Hall's background then, there must have been an even more compelling reason to give him use immunity. If Mr. Humphrey's did indeed confess to the crime, what was the benefit to the state of Mr. Hall's testimony I wonder?

From my understanding, Mr. Humphrey did not confess to this until after Hall had been given use immunity.

That would certainly be motivation to give him use immunity.

But, I thought when he (Mr. Humphreys) was picked up he confided in his detective friend and this was the basis of one of the hearings...was his statement spontaneous, was it covered by Miranda etc???

Mr. Humphrey was picked up after Mr. Hall had gone to the police. I was under the impression, but I'm not sure, that Mr. Hall made his deal before they arrested Mr. Humphrey. Maybe someone else has more information on that.

Mr. Humphrey was picked up after Mr. Hall had gone to the police. I was under the impression, but I'm not sure, that Mr. Hall made his deal before they arrested Mr. Humphrey. Maybe someone else has more information on that.

That would be a key piece to know, I think. Did Mr. Hall flip first or ask for a deal first? I dont know that it casts him in a different light-I still believe that part of the frustration with him and his role is because he turned in his friend...in light of his prior experience with LE he may have felt he had the most to lose if Mr. Humphrey had previously had no dealings with law enforcement.

Rich Hall was given immunity about 3 hours or so before Jim was arrested at work. Rich went to his lawyer in Madison, told him everything, and got advice what to do. His lawyer contacted LE and a detective went up to Madison to meet with Rich and his lawyer under the condition that Rich was granted immunity before he spoke. The DA granted him immunity in exchange for the information. He does have use immunity and if is found lying, then can be charged. Rich had also conversed via telephone with a police officer that was a personal friend of his, but didn't reveal much to him. This phone call was made before he was granted immunity. Rich thought his conversation with the "friend" police officer was just a "casual conversation", when in fact it was made from a detectives office and recorded. However, Rich wouldn't say much before he talked to his lawyer first.

Thanks for the update. Since Hall has extensive experience with LE, I assumed that would have been the case, but I'm glad you could confirm that. Thank you!

Rich Hall was given immunity about 3 hours or so before Jim was arrested at work. Rich went to his lawyer in Madison, told him everything, and got advice what to do. His lawyer contacted LE and a detective went up to Madison to meet with Rich and his lawyer under the condition that Rich was granted immunity before he spoke. The DA granted him immunity in exchange for the information. He does have use immunity and if is found lying, then can be charged. Rich had also conversed via telephone with a police officer that was a personal friend of his, but didn't reveal much to him. This phone call was made before he was granted immunity. Rich thought his conversation with the "friend" police officer was just a "casual conversation", when in fact it was made from a detectives office and recorded. However, Rich wouldn't say much before he talked to his lawyer first.

Welcome to WS Iknow!~!
:Welcome1:

what is the source of your information?

Thanks for welcoming me. I have been quietly watching this post since about August 2010. I did not, and do not want to get involved, but felt it necessary to clarify this piece of information in my last post.

I will be frank here. I am not embarrassed nor ashamed. I appreciate the professionalism and respect most have shown on this post to all sides involved. There are alot of victims on all sides. There have been a few posts that I strongly disagree with, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I am also happy to see that when people get out of hand they are removed from the discussion.

I am probably the most knowledgeable source on here. "I am Jim Humphrey's wife." I plan to continue to quietly sit back and watch this post. However, when I feel it is very necessary to clarify something I will. I don't want to get into any arguments or deep discussions regarding this situation. It is not over yet. Please respect the fact that my family and I have gone through hell and just want to get through this. There are alot of others hurting too. On Rich's side, and the Aegerter side. If anyone tries to argue with me, humiliate me, or slander me in any way, I will ask that you be removed from this post. I am not on here to hurt or bash anyone. This needs to remain an intelligent, civil discussion board.

Thank you for your understanding with this.

Mrs. Humphrey

I too hope that I will be welcomed in this discussion and treated respectfully. I am a family member of Rich Hall, I also know Jimmy as well. There are a few things I would like to clarify myself on some facts.

Rich did not seek out an attorney Monday morning. He contacted one on Sunday after asking Jimmy a couple times to turn himself in once learning that someone had been shot and killed. Rich did not seek out an attorney to make a "deal", he sought out an attorney to turn himself in for his involvement. He did not refuse to speak until a "deal" was made. He was offered Use Immunity only in the event that what he stated was found to be true. Which obviously it was. Let it also be noted that Rich did stop by and ask Jimmy to turn himself in again on Sunday afternoon- Jimmy declined. So now I hope the facts are crystal clear to all. This was certainly not "a save yourself" situation. Would Jimmy eventually have turned himself in? Possibly, yet given the fact that he had a passport on him and a borrowed cell phone (so his calls could not be traced), I guess we will never know.

So if people find Rich to be at such a fault here for initially lying to police to protect his friend (for what was thought and hoped to be shooting a gun off in public), then what should that punishment be? If leniency is so wanted for Jimmy for taking a life, would 20 minutes in jail be sufficient for Rich. Maybe 20 days? Maybe 20 days on probation? Given this way of thinking should Jimmy have more time added to his sentence for lying and not having any intentions of turning himself in? Or time for just shooting and killing a man? Let`s try and remember, Rich was initially lying for his friend. Let`s also try and remember a man died.

I am not here to argue or bash anyone either. Yet when you come on to a discussion board, then you put yourself here. So I would like to ask for clarification on a few things:

1) Why when posters here were pointing a finger at Rich back in the beginning of this post, was it not made clear who the shooter really was when a confession had been made on June 7?

2) Why was there an email exchange that took place by one of the posters here written in August of 2010 that directly pointed at Rich when in fact the confession was made on June 7? (I have privy to this email exchange and can post if needed).

3) What clarification can be made about the letter typed on July 8, 2010 and sent to the D.A. stating that the night of the shooting that Rich purchased a gun from Jimmy. That the person who wrote this letter is not only a very close friend of Jimmy and his wife (and the second witness named in the letter that was never even in the vicinity), but it was such a botched attempt at framing Rich that they probably didnt realize that- A) Jimmy already confessed. And B) That the gun that supposedly was sold to Rich was one Jimmy had already claimed he didnt own. I believe these sort of actions for trying to frame Rich by others, and interfering with this investigation should hold consequences as well.

4) Lastly, where is the gun? Surely by now this could be clarified..? For people to even think that Rich would be concealing it somewhere is pretty ridiculous. What could he possibly gain? Nothing.

I am completely open to a civil discussion on these subjects. Yet from what I have read, it does appear to usually be one sided. Again this post is not meant to disrespect anyone, anger anyone etc.. I also hope this post clears up a few "Facts". Because "Facts" stated here earlier were maybe not that factual.I also look forward to any clarification that can be given in my post . Thank you, and Good Luck to all involved in this.

iknowthefacts and Janesvilleman-WELCOME to WS!!!

We have a simple verification process for insiders into a case like this one. Please send an email to the following address:
wsverify@xmission.com

Please include the case, your Websleuths name and your association with the case. All of the info is confidential, although you have both chosen to ID yourselves here.

Once we get that straightened out, the posters here will be able to follow along with your posts knowing that this isnt just anyone claiming to be either of you.

Thank you!! My heart goes out to you both.

Janesvilleman: I appreciate your post. I can't answer most of the questions that you've asked, and again I can only speak for myself. You ask, what are the consequences Mr. Hall should pay for his crime? IMO it should be the exact same as any other person who had done the exact same things that Mr. Hall has done and admitted to. I don’t begin to know what that would be, but I’m certain it would be something. You asked if people want Mr. Hall to pay some type of consequences for his crimes, should that mean that Mr. Humphrey’s consequences should be greater than he's facing? I’m not sure why you’re making any kind of comparison. It’s a matter of public record that Mr. Humphrey has been in jail for months, has entered a guilty plea and will be sentenced. That’s not even a matter of opinion. You state that Mr. Hall didn’t go to the lawyer on Sunday to make a deal, but to turn himself in for his involvement. That doesn’t make sense to me. If all someone was doing was turning themselves in, wouldn’t you just go to the police? You’ve mentioned that you think this board is very one-sided. I don’t think anyone is on anyone’s side. I’m sure this is a nightmare for everyone, including your family. I don’t think anyone has even suggested that Mr. Humphrey should not be held accountable for what he has done, quite to the contrary. There was never any question that Mr. Humphrey would be paying a price for his actions and I haven’t heard anyone say they think he shouldn’t be. Mr. Hall is like, the rest of the story, so to speak.

WTF- I appreciate your post and the decency of it. My initial post was to only clarify the time frame surrounding the meeting Monday morning with Rich and his attorney. As it possibly could have been read that Rich all of a sudden decided to go to his attorney Monday am to "save himself". Of course he obtained an attorney, as he did not know if he would be placed into jail for initially lying to police for Jimmy. This was, and still is a hard situation for both men as they were the best of friends at the time.

Rich has gone through hell as well, especially with the attempts that had been made to try and frame him, or try and show that he may have lied about something. As another poster had stated "this isnt over yet". I had just been hoping since a post had been made to clarify some things that maybe other things possibly could as well, and also to shed light on some of what Rich has had to endure as well with some of the things have happened that the readers here may not be completely aware of.

I am sure that some of the points/questions I have brought up will be answered at the sentencing for Jimmy if they are not answered here.

We have seen how sensitive both sides in this case can be-please post respectfully to one another, alert posts that you feel are attacking and put a user on your ignore list if you absolutely cannot interact with them respectfully.

Bumping

Just an observation, if I may-

All over this board, we discuss crime and how we wish the perp would just take responsibility already rather than taking advantage of due process.

And here we have someone who did, regardless of when he chose to do it. Mr. Humphrey acknowleged his responsibilty and is asking the court to sentence him to what the judge thinks he deserves.

Clearly Mr. Aegarte's family lost the most here...their irreplaceable loved one. Mr. Humphrey has lost his freedom and his family is collateral damage. Mr. Hall has his freedom, regardless of how his reputation might be tainted.. So there is a big imbalance here, imo.

At the end of the day, Mr. Hall's family can reach out and touch him. Mr. Aegarte's family and Mr. Humphrey's family cannot.

Personally, I think it is fair to debate whether or not justice has been served-it is what we do. I look forward to more information being released when sentencing comes down.

Peace to all of the families involved.

I agree believe! IMO Mr. Hall should face charges for what he did.
He has admitted to being untruthful in the early days of the investigation to cover for a friend. That's a crime.

I'm so confused now with all the stories and versions of the events...
Did Mr. Hall help hide the gun?
If so, that's another crime.

The one who pulled the trigger is serving time. I firmly believe the one who helped him try to cover up/lie should also face time as an accessory.

JMO

Yup, that's for sure. Someone has to know where it is. Did I read on one of the threads on here, maybe somewhere else, that he has a relative who is on the police force there? Again, this is all just so very sad.

Jim has a 'sort of' relative on the police force. It's his son's stepfather. His ex-wife's husband. They get along very well.n He's who Jim confessed to.

Thank you WTF090459-Given Mr. Hall's background then, there must have been an even more compelling reason to give him use immunity. If Mr. Humphrey's did indeed confess to the crime, what was the benefit to the state of Mr. Hall's testimony I wonder?

There was none. There wasn't even a trial.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18
Back