NOTGUILTY WI - Selah Kaden, 13, Suspicious Death, Mineral Point, 31 May 2018 *arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Oh! I remember this case! Such a strange one with the sheriff withholding information. The house at 1049 Miller Rd. (per the Iowa County Sheriff's Office press release) is huge - over 8500 square feet plus a 2400 square foot guest house.

A little sleuthing revealed that a family was associated with the property but it's not clear if they have anything to do with this case. The estate was on the market then taken off and now appears to be back on for a listing price of 1.5 million.

More sleuthing says the owners invited relatives who had 5 kids to live there and help operate their business. Again, I don't know if any of these people are part of the case so I will let y'all sleuth for yourselves. I haven't seen anything about foster kids so far.

I'm surprised no reporter has dug into this case. Small town privacy issues or something more?

Iowa County Sheriff's Office

Oh! I remember this case! Such a strange one with the sheriff withholding information. The house at 1049 Miller Rd. (per the Iowa County Sheriff's Office press release) is huge - over 8500 square feet plus a 2400 square foot guest house.

A little sleuthing revealed that a family was associated with the property but it's not clear if they have anything to do with this case. The estate was on the market then taken off and now appears to be back on for a listing price of 1.5 million.

More sleuthing says the owners invited relatives who had 5 kids to live there and help operate their business. Again, I don't know if any of these people are part of the case so I will let y'all sleuth for yourselves. I haven't seen anything about foster kids so far.

I'm surprised no reporter has dug into this case. Small town privacy issues or something more?

Iowa County Sheriff's Office

I had forgotten about this girl. That home is amazing and huge. I see a sale is now pending, I wonder if her death had to be disclosed to the buyer? I feel like this may have been a money talks situation since it's so quiet.

I had forgotten about this girl. That home is amazing and huge. I see a sale is now pending, I wonder if her death had to be disclosed to the buyer? I feel like this may have been a money talks situation since it's so quiet.

Money talks, or, hopefully, this is the result of LE being thorough. I have been following this, obviously off and on, and somehow missed that October update. IMO, there doesn't appear to be any investigative reporting being performed in that neck of the woods.

ETA: Was there ever a funeral for this child? And how would anyone know, if so?

Well, finally some answers. RIP Selah. I look forward to getting more information and justice wherever this story goes.

From Charges filed in death of 13-year-old girl in Iowa County:
SK is the daughter of D and L K who live in North Carolina, according to the release. She was staying with the Barrys by mutual agreement of the families involved, according to a release from Iowa County. No governmental or third-parties were involved in this temporary caregiving agreement, according to the release.

From 2 charged with homicide for teen's death in Mineral Point: The release said Kaden was living in Mineral Point with the Barrys by mutual agreement of Kaden's parents, David and Lisa Kaden, of North Carolina, while they "addressed the medical needs of another of their children." No governmental agencies or third-party entities were involved in that custody arrangement.

They're charged with reckless homicide:
Criminal complaints have been filed in Iowa County Circuit Court charging Laurie D. Barry, 50, and Alexis E. Barry, 27, of Mineral Point, with first-degree reckless homicide in the May 31, 2018, death of Selah Kaden, who was 13 at the time.
An initial court appearance is scheduled for 4 p.m. on Tuesday, July 9, 2019, in the Iowa County Circuit Court located in Dodgeville, before Judge Margaret M. Koehler.
Two charged in 2018 death of Iowa County 13-year-old

Update on this story - finally some justice for this little girl.

Charges filed in death of 13-year-old girl in Iowa County
"MINERAL POINT, Wis. - Charges have been filed in Iowa County more than a year after a teen was found dead.

Laurie D. Barry, 50, of Mineral Point, and Alexis E. Barry, 27, of Mineral Point, face first-degree reckless homicide charges in the death of 13-year-old Selah Kaden, according to a release by Iowa County."

[...]

From an article (that I somehow missed) in May:

Posted:
May 23, 2019 06:47 PM CDT

Updated: May 23, 2019 07:58 PM CDT

Many questions, few answers nearly one year after teen death in Iowa County

"On May 31, 2018 a 13-year-old girl died on a property off of Miller Road in the Town of Mineral Point. Authorities called the death suspicious. At the time, they said the investigation would take a considerable amount of time and that has turned out to be true.

News 3 Now revisited the scene of the death Thursday. No one at the home answered."

[...]

More information on Selah

From Two charged in death of 13-year-old girl:

The victim was a child adopted from China by a North Carolina couple. She was staying with the Barry family in Mineral Point because of a medical problem involving one of the family's other children. The arrangement wasn't approved by social workers or any government entity.

BBM

Questions of guardianship, legal status of death and next of kin loom ominously here.
You were (IMO) spot on with your assessment.

From today's breaking news:

Charges filed in death of 13-year-old girl in Iowa County

"Kaden is the daughter of David and Lisa Kaden who live in North Carolina, according to the release. She was staying with the Barrys by mutual agreement of the families involved, according to a release from Iowa County."

More information on Selah

From Two charged in death of 13-year-old girl:

The victim was a child adopted from China by a North Carolina couple. She was staying with the Barry family in Mineral Point because of a medical problem involving one of the family's other children. The arrangement wasn't approved by social workers or any government entity.
The suspects will make an initial court appearance on July 9.
(Note for @Niner if this case was anywhere near your calendar)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro
Back