GUILTY WI - Six deer hunters killed, 2 injured in Sawyer County shooting, 21 Nov 2004

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
golfmom said:
Apparently Vang initially told the LE that the first hunter (the one with the gun) took Vang's gun and shot his friends and then forced him to walk up to the bodies.
Was there any indication before the murders that the friends weren't really "friends" or that they had some trouble amongst themselves before?

tennessee said:
Was there any indication before the murders that the friends weren't really "friends" or that they had some trouble amongst themselves before?

No, none. There are still two survivors who are telling the story. They are saying Vang shot them.

Well, that is what I thought. That one of them would shoot the rest and then frame Vang doesn't make sense.

tennessee said:
Well, that is what I thought. That one of them would shoot the rest and then frame Vang doesn't make sense.

Vang has changed his story several times..

http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/5398426.html

State says Vang can get fair trial in Sawyer County

Associated Press

HAYWARD, Wis. - A man accused of fatally shooting six deer hunters and wounding two others in northwestern Wisconsin can receive a fair trial in Sawyer County, prosecutors argued Wednesday.

Vang's attorneys filed motions in March seeking to move the September trial, contending racial prejudice and overwhelming media publicity would prevent the Hmong man from getting a fair trial.

Lautenschlager also asked a judge to limit the number of cameras in the courtroom during Vang's September trial and to ban people from taking pictures or videotaping witnesses who do not want to be photographed.

In a 28-page response to the defense motion, Lautenschlager argued Vang submitted few examples of prejudicial publicity and he made only general allegations of community prejudice against him.

The media coverage of the killings was mostly informational and not inflammatory, although it obviously aroused strong emotions, prosecutors wrote.

Vang failed to show the extensive media coverage has "utterly corrupted the trial atmosphere such as to constitute a constitutional violation," prosecutors said. "While Vang may seek an uninformed jury, he is not entitled to one. The Constitution only guarantees him an unbiased one."

Circuit Court Judge Norman Yackel scheduled a hearing on the motions for June 8.

Vang, of St. Paul, Minn., has pleaded not guilty to murdering six hunters and wounding two others after a confrontation over trespassing Nov. 21. Vang told investigators one of the white hunters fired the first shot after taunting Vang with racial slurs, a claim two of the survivors denied, according to court records.

In other documents filed Wednesday, prosecutors also opposed Vang's attempt to ban them from using an alleged confession Vang gave to investigators the day after his arrest.

None of Vang's constitutional rights were violated in obtaining the statements, prosecutors said.

"Vang wrote that he wished to speak to investigators and he did not want a lawyer," according to the documents filed Wednesday.

Vang, who speaks fluent English, was read his Miranda rights twice, and he voluntarily made incriminating comments, including that he ran after some of the victims and shot them in the back, prosecutors said.

In other documents filed Wednesday, prosecutors:

-Opposed a defense motion seeking to seal a separate motion of unknown content. Prosecutors asked the judge to order that the document be unsealed. Attorneys for Vang submitted a sealed envelope in March, saying that keeping the content secret was "necessary to ensure the integrity of the defense pretrial investigation."

-Opposed a defense motion to throw out one of two counts of attempted murder of Lauren Hesebeck. Prosecutors said Vang tried to kill Hesebeck in two separate incidents.

A man accused of fatally shooting six deer hunters and wounding two others in northwestern Wisconsin is scheduled to return to court Wednesday for a judge to hear arguments on whether the trial should be moved and whether prosecutors can use admissions he made to police.

The motions hearing is scheduled for three days in Hayward before Sawyer County Circuit Judge Norman Yackel, a step in the process leading to Chai Soua Vang's Sept. 12 trial.

Vang's admissions to police include that he ran after some of the victims and shot them in the back, the complaint said.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/5440613.html

Chai Soua Vang's jailhouse admission that he shot and killed six deer hunters after a nasty verbal exchange in the woods will be presented to the jury at his upcoming murder trial, a Sawyer County judge ruled Wednesday.

Still to be determined, however, is whether that jury will be from Sawyer County. Vang's attorneys have asked that the jurors come from elsewhere, based on the saturation of news about the shootings and the potential difficulty in finding residents unswayed by the publicity or emotional outfall from the slayings.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/state/jun05/332307.asp

Chai Vang told a reporter in a phone call from jail that he felt sorry about shooting some of the hunters he is accused of killing but that others deserved to be shot, because they called him racist names and threatened him, according to a transcript of the conversation.

In a letter sent from the Sawyer County jail to the same Chicago Tribune reporter, Vang sought to justify the six killings on Nov. 21, 2004, in the northern Wisconsin woods, saying he was trying to "defend myself and my race" after the hunters confronted him for trespassing.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/5448731.html

This is the trial of the man who is accused of killing 6 hunters in Wisconsin. I intend on following this trial. I'd love some company.

http://wcco.com/seenon/local_story_252093701.html

(WCCO) Jurors have been selected for the trial of Chai Soua Vang, the man accused of killing six deer hunters in Wisconsin last year.

His trial will be watched across the country and some are offering their insights on what can be expected during the trial.

Vang, 36, faces six counts of first-degree intentional homicide and three counts of attempted homicide.

Prosecutors said he opened fire on a hunting party in the woods of Northern Wisconsin last November after the hunters confronted him for trespassing.

Vang said he acted in self-defense.
As for the jury, because of the publicity and possible anti-Hmong sentiment in the area, the jurors are being selected from 300 miles away. They will be sequestered in a hotel with no television, phones or computers.

The trial is scheduled to begin Saturday and will likely go on for two weeks. The entire trial will be broadcast live by Court TV.

golfmom said:
As for the jury, because of the publicity and possible anti-Hmong sentiment in the area, the jurors are being selected from 300 miles away. They will be sequestered in a hotel with no television, phones or computers.

I am glad I am not on that jury. Can you imagine- no computer?

I think this one is interesting, too.

My Dad is an avid hunter from as far back as I can remember. Not sure why I mention that. Maybe because he was shot in a hunting accident about 20 years ago. The beginning of his story is...he didn't know where the shot came from and his worst fear is he would be shot again.

I'll join you. Glad to see someone else is interested as well. Have you formed an opinion about the case yet? It has been in the news a lot here, especially this week. It seems like they chose a jury entirely too fast.

I sincerely feel that he acted in self defense.

golfmom said:
Well, I'm going to try and stick this one out and I'd enjoy the company.

SimonSays said:
I'll join you. Glad to see someone else is interested as well. Have you formed an opinion about the case yet? It has been in the news a lot here, especially this week. It seems like they chose a jury entirely too fast.

I sincerely feel that he acted in self defense.

Well, we should have a lot of fun together! Let's agree to disagree and debate with vigor and enthusiasm! I have followed closely since the beginning and I believe he's guilty.

1. He changed his story numerous times.

2. The majority of the dead were either fleeing (shot in the back) or coming to the assistance of the injured and many of the victims didn't even have a weapon on them.

3. I believe that there was racial taunting and although I don't condone that on any level and for many reasons, it doesn't excuse murder! (sticks & stones, baby, sticks & stones.)

4. I read the confession and he admitted to shooting an unarmed 20 yo fleeing in the back. That's not self defense

5. I read the correspondence with the Chicago Tribune Reporter ... Ouch! I bet the defense attorneys are a little upset with the bad case of verbal diarrhea that Vang suffered from. He really is, his own worst enemy.

My personal opinion is that this wasn't a premeditated crime, he snapped out there ... and he's guilty of murdering those people.

:D

Once I see more coming out in trial, I'm not against changing my view. However, from what I've read and heard so far, that's what I believe.

Here's an article just posted on Star Tribune about 20 minutes ago...

Read the full story here: http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/5607376.html

Use http://www.bugmenot.com if you don't have a free account for Star Tribune

Excerpt from the article:
HAYWARD, Wis. -- Was St. Paul truck driver Chai Soua Vang just plain angry when he killed six fellow deer hunters or was he terrified into believing he must kill or die?

The answer to that question, jurors learned this morning as Vang’s trial began, will determine whether he’s guilty of murder or the victim of racist bullying.

In an opening statement in a packed Hayward courtroom, the prosecutor and defense attorney depicted the killings last November in vastly different lights and disclosed some new details.

“In the end it was nothing more than anger,” said Roy Korte, an assistant Wisconsin attorney general, in his opening statement to the jury in a packed courtroom. “Because he felt the victims -- or some of them -- disrespected him and because he knew the victims -- or some of them -- intended to report him to law enforcement for trespassing.”

But defense attorney Steven Kohn told jurors that the facts, even as depicted by survivors of the shooting, show Vang was justified in feeling besieged, threatened and afraid for his life after the other hunters surrounded him.

Kohn said that the prosecution’s own witnesses will say Vang, a Hmong-American, was called a “tree-rat” “mud duck” and “Hmong @$$hole.”

Kohn said evidence will show that after initially being told to leave by one hunter, Vang was walking away when a group of them rode up on ATVs and surrounded him while landowner Robert Crotteau swore at Vang and told him he was going to beat him up. “Every other word had an ‘F’ in front of it,” Kohn said.

A St. Paul-based Hmong civil group that formed after a deadly shooting in the Sawyer County woods 10 months ago will be in a Haywood courtroom today, watching as the trial of Chai Soua Vang begins.

"It's a complex case. We are not taking any sides," said Pakou Hang, a University of Minnesota political science Ph.D. candidate and a founder of the group. "It's not Hmong v. Hayward communities. We want to make sure the judicial process is fairly administered."

In the tense days after the shootings, what became the Coalition for Community Relations took root in St. Paul out of meetings attended by about 150 people, and led by a core of about 20, to discuss issues of race, tolerance and improved communications.

"It was obvious the Hmong community needed to be proactive, but lacked an institution to do so," said Hang. "We didn't have an NAACP." When a member of a minority community is accused of a crime, some people use it to form stereotypes and become angry at an entire community, Hang said.

Reaction included several Hmong homes being vandalized, anti-Hmong literature being distributed by a Twin Cities Nazi group and sales of a bumper sticker, "Save a Deer, Kill a Mung." While opening arguments are made today, the group will meet at the Center for Hmong Studies at Concordia University to train volunteer trial monitors.

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/news/local/12610030.htm

golfmom said:
Well, we should have a lot of fun together! Let's agree to disagree and debate with vigor and enthusiasm! I have followed closely since the beginning and I believe he's guilty.

1. He changed his story numerous times.

2. The majority of the dead were either fleeing (shot in the back) or coming to the assistance of the injured and many of the victims didn't even have a weapon on them.

3. I believe that there was racial taunting and although I don't condone that on any level and for many reasons, it doesn't excuse murder! (sticks & stones, baby, sticks & stones.)

4. I read the confession and he admitted to shooting an unarmed 20 yo fleeing in the back. That's not self defense

5. I read the correspondence with the Chicago Tribune Reporter ... Ouch! I bet the defense attorneys are a little upset with the bad case of verbal diarrhea that Vang suffered from. He really is, his own worst enemy.

My personal opinion is that this wasn't a premeditated crime, he snapped out there ... and he's guilty of murdering those people.
I too shall keep an openmind- Yet, I do add, a large portion of the Wisconsin area, Chicago and St. Paul area are prejudice toward the Hmong culture. This would be not be a reason to Justify murder. I, as those above do not approve of racial taunts, disrespect or jokes toward any population. With this said, the murder of hunters would not be the proper way to deal with this situation.
The gentleman on trial, may have been lost and lacked direction-BUT-he was on private property during hunting season in WI which is a big event. IF, asked to leave, and he felt threatened, another means should have been resorted to. It is still unsure what really transpired that day out in the mountains. What we do know is that he changed his version of the story at least a couple of times. This does not lead people to believe he is being honest with the facts/or forthcoming.

Here are some other links, (not as dated as newer ones that are posted above for references). But I will state again: Racial slurs, and dislike for the Hmong community is a well known fact in various midwest communities. (as is distaste/and dislike for many groups in areas in our country and world. Yes, this is a sad fact- but does not justify murdering innocent people.

A reference quote from the Star tribute posted by Simon---
“In the end it was nothing more than anger,” said Roy Korte, an assistant Wisconsin attorney general, in his opening statement to the jury in a packed courtroom. “Because he felt the victims -- or some of them -- disrespected him and because he knew the victims -- or some of them -- intended to report him to law enforcement for trespassing.”
http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/5607376.html

Links:
http://www.madison.com/tct/opinion/index.php?ntid=53328

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/09/08/wi.huntersshot.ap/

Org. Story: Chai Vang Arrested in Shooting
http://crime.about.com/od/news/a/vang041122.htm

Gozgals

Chai Vang woke before sunrise.

About 5 a.m., he tapped on the window of the SUV where his 16-year-old son, Lee, was sleeping.

"Get ready," he said. "The sun is going to rise in an hour or two. Tell everyone to wake up."

Lee moved from truck to truck, knocking on the frost-covered windows to rouse the Hmong hunters who had slept along a dirt road in the northern Wisconsin woods.

The men turned on the trucks' engines and ran the heaters to get warm.

After a week of light rain, Sunday, Nov. 21, dawned clear and cold. A light breeze blew.

Lee Vang packed himself a few Snickers bars, some bullets and his uncle's gun. He said goodbye to his father as other hunters milled about, getting dressed.

"Good luck," Chai Vang told his son. "Don't go too far. Don't get lost."
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/nation/12600418.htm

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roxie1892