WI WI - Vernon Co, WhtFem 50-65,261UFWI, severed hands, dentures, May'84

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Long shot, but could this Vernon doe be Edrel Mae Pierce?

Edrel disappeared from California a few years before this doe was murdered, but she had psychiatric problems and who knows where she might have gone and what she may have been up to. (She also had a 1 carat diamond ring and a watch with diamonds on it.)

She's the right age, height, weight. Has the right hair and eye color. One problem, is she has two abdominal scars (appendix and hysterectomy), as opposed to just one mentioned for the doe.

news1-12-a14635a9fb9843cd.jpg

CA - Erdel Mae Pierce, 57, Humboldt County, 17 May 1981

Missing Person Case
She looks similar!

Long shot, but could this Vernon doe be Edrel Mae Pierce?

Edrel disappeared from California a few years before this doe was murdered, but she had psychiatric problems and who knows where she might have gone and what she may have been up to. (She also had a 1 carat diamond ring and a watch with diamonds on it.)

She's the right age, height, weight. Has the right hair and eye color. One problem, is she has two abdominal scars (appendix and hysterectomy), as opposed to just one mentioned for the doe.

news1-12-a14635a9fb9843cd.jpg

CA - Erdel Mae Pierce, 57, Humboldt County, 17 May 1981

Missing Person Case

Sorry to quote myself, but ooooops! I just looked back through the whole thread and saw that I mentioned Edrel, along with others, much earliers. Sorry...poor memory!

I submitted her to the DNA Doe Project and I'm so overjoyed that she's pending. I am really hopeful that this woman can at least get her name back.

On another note, the case of Marianne Bowers stood out to me. There are tons of similarities: height, her age is just above the estimated age, she had a full set of dentures, and honestly, the VCJD morgue photos and the photo of Marianne look similar. Very curious, although the dates don't line up: however, if it is a family member, like her son, maybe he didn't report her missing until after she had passed?

The Doe Network: Case File 941DFAZ

Fingers crossed that Vernon County Jane Doe is identified... I'll be checking the DNA Doe Project daily until then!

I wonder if this case has moved along lately? Does anyone know if Cora Andersen - of Alaska -has been submitted? The height is off, but the nose is so similar!

I submitted her to the DNA Doe Project and I'm so overjoyed that she's pending. I am really hopeful that this woman can at least get her name back.

On another note, the case of Marianne Bowers stood out to me. There are tons of similarities: height, her age is just above the estimated age, she had a full set of dentures, and honestly, the VCJD morgue photos and the photo of Marianne look similar. Very curious, although the dates don't line up: however, if it is a family member, like her son, maybe he didn't report her missing until after she had passed?

The Doe Network: Case File 941DFAZ

Fingers crossed that Vernon County Jane Doe is identified... I'll be checking the DNA Doe Project daily until then!
I like this comparison - if the son was involved in her death, he wouldn't report it until someone else was catching on.

UPDATE for Vernon County Jane Doe!

Her DNA has passed sequencing and is now listed as an active case via the DNA Doe Project. Research is in PROGRESS! I am hopeful now more than ever that this woman will get her name back. Until then, we wait.

@stephgphillips I am very curious about the Marianne Bowers case, whether she is connected to VCJD or not. The whole story does not make any sense. I would not be surprised in the least if VCJD was identified as Marianne Bowers.

UPDATE for Vernon County Jane Doe!

Her DNA has passed sequencing and is now listed as an active case via the DNA Doe Project. Research is in PROGRESS! I am hopeful now more than ever that this woman will get her name back. Until then, we wait.

@stephgphillips I am very curious about the Marianne Bowers case, whether she is connected to VCJD or not. The whole story does not make any sense. I would not be surprised in the least if VCJD was identified as Marianne Bowers.
If VCJD is indeed Marianne then it’s possible that she could have done something that perhaps, got her fingerprints, hence the hands being cut at the wrists.

Dna Doe Project is doing genealogical research, by this month we might know who she was !

Dna Doe Project is doing genealogical research, by this month we might know who she was !
From DDP's Facebook page:

"DNA Doe Project Case Announcement: Vernon County Jane Doe – Westby, Wisconsin (1984)

Genealogical research is in progress.

Who was Vernon County Jane Doe?
On May 4, 1984 three teenagers found the body of an unidentified white female on a gravel road in rural Vernon County near Westby, Wisconsin. Investigators believe the woman was killed somewhere along the same road and moved to the spot where she was found. Her face had been rendered unrecognizable from the extensive damage that had been done through blunt force trauma. Her hands had been removed, presumably in an effort to prevent identification by fingerprints.
After the case was featured on the local news, a couple came forward and stated they saw a suspicious man in the area driving a yellow 1982 Datsun, but investigators were unable to locate the man, or to identify the deceased.

NamUs: UP4786
Date found: May 4, 1984
Race: White/Caucasian
Sex: Female
PMI: 24 to 48 hours

Anyone who believes they have relevant information on this case should contact authorities directly:

Wisconsin Department of Justice
Joe Welsch, Special Agent
715-839-3830

Links to More Information:

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Vernon County Jane Doe - DNA Doe Project Cases
Vernon County Jane Doe - Wikipedia
261UFWI
http://ktar.com/story/863751/arizon...rks-to-identify-victim-in-30-year-old-murder/

Facial approximation image provided by Catyana Falsetti.

Many thanks to our thoughtful supporters for their continued support and interest in the DNA Doe Project. As always, we ask that commenters remain respectful to our Does and their families.

Please continue to educate and advocate for transfers to Family Tree DNA and gedmatch.com opt-IN.

#DNADoeProject
#VernonCountyJaneDoe
#WestbyWisconsin
#GEDmatchOptIn #OptIn "

I wonder if this case has moved along lately? Does anyone know if Cora Andersen - of Alaska -has been submitted? The height is off, but the nose is so similar!

She resembles the UID, however, Cora has hazel eyes while the VCJD has blue eyes, great finding though!

Just posting for people who have not viewed the Google Sheet:

Vernon County Jane Doe does not have any high-level matches from GedMatch. Her highest is 29.9 cm. She may have higher ones coming from FTDNA, but we cannot see those. It's just a waiting game for her.

Exclusions:
MP9699 Audrey Backeberg 07/01/1962 Marion IN
MP9699 Audrey Backeberg 07/01/1962 Marion IN
MP18226 Marie Jost 03/01/1988 Portage WI
MP11786 Edna Reynolds 04/07/1982 Bernalillo NM
MP31687 Joan Risch 10/24/1961 Middlesex MA
MP28597 Joan Scaggs 11/12/1983 Santa Cruz CA
MP52034 Mary Vangilder 02/14/1945 Richland OH

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online