WI WI - Victoria Prokopovitz, 59, Pittsfield, 25 April 2013 *Guilty*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
What? I shouldn't laugh but I did. I've heard the saying "break a leg" but not an ankle. Plus there will be 70 witnesses. WHere on earth are they coming from?
Moo

New judge assigned to missing-woman murder trial

A new judge will hear the remainder of James Prokopovitz’s murder trial in Brown County.

Testimony is scheduled to resume Monday. Judge Atkinson said he received a rough draft of the testimony so far and will work through the weekend to get up to speed before 8:30 Monday morning.

What? I shouldn't laugh but I did. I've heard the saying "break a leg" but not an ankle. Plus there will be 70 witnesses. WHere on earth are they coming from?
Moo

Many of the witnesses who have taken the stand are still living in Wisconsin. But there has been at least 1 called to testify who has traveled over 1400 miles.

Victoria's case was truly an all hands on deck case. Every possible thing that could be done to locate her has been done. There wouldn't be enough time to cover it all in one trial.

Day five of testimony in the Brown County missing woman murder trial is focusing on inconsistencies in the stories James Prokopovitz told to police and a private investigator.

Prokopovitz, 75, is standing trial on charges of 1st Degree Intentional Homicide, Resisting or Obstructing and Perjury.

The perjury charge alleges James Prokopovitz lied to officials during a John Doe hearing.

Action 2 News is livestreaming the trial. You can watch here: Watch Live (NOTE: We may break away for other news coverage.) Follow Sarah Thomsen on Twitter for live updates. Court begins at 8:30 a.m.

Prosecutors say Prokopovitz killed his wife, Victoria. Her body has never been located. On April 25, 2013, Victoria disappeared from the Prokopovitz home in a rural area of Kunesh Road in the Town of Pittsfield. The defense says Victoria had a history of mental illness and suicide attempts and argues she may have taken her own life.

On Monday, Victoria’s psychiatrist testified that he did not consider her to be suicidal. He treated her for five years, but had not seen her in the months leading up to her disappearance.

Testimony has covered several topics, from searches to sludge ponds, James’s demeanor and work history, and emotional testimony from Victoria’s children.

DAY 4 TESTIMONY: Jury sees 2018 interviews with James Prokopovitz as second week of murder trial begins

DAY 3 TESTIMONY: More witnesses testify on Day 3 of missing woman murder trial

DAY 2 TESTIMONY: Missing woman’s son, daughter testify during Day 2 of murder trial

DAY 1 TESTIMONY AND OPENING STATEMENTS: Witnesses take the stand in Brown County missing woman murder trial

Testimony continues Tuesday in missing woman murder trial

I've been watching some of this trial on CourtTV. I sure hope that this jury has common sense. There is no way a virtually immobile Victoria is going to leave her home in the middle of the night to take a walk or kill herself. It defies logic...

I've been watching on Court TV too. Their coverage is live-streaming on:

Court TV - Live Stream - Web - Court TV

Every talking head on CTV says that there isn't enough proof to convict him of murder. I sure hope that the jury doesn't see it that way.

and the jury saw him as GUILTY on the four counts tonight
-/
GUILTY OF ALL CHARGES Count 1: 1st-Degree Intentional Homicide w/ domestic abuse modifier GUILTY
Count 2: Resisting or Obstructing an Officer GUILTY
Count 3: Perjury-Before Court w/ conspiracy to commit modifier GUILTY
Count 4: Perjury-Before Court GUILTY
Via the great https://twitter.com/chanleycourttv/status/1365850033220968449?s=21

and the jury saw him as GUILTY on the four counts tonight
-/
GUILTY OF ALL CHARGES Count 1: 1st-Degree Intentional Homicide w/ domestic abuse modifier GUILTY
Count 2: Resisting or Obstructing an Officer GUILTY
Count 3: Perjury-Before Court w/ conspiracy to commit modifier GUILTY
Count 4: Perjury-Before Court GUILTY
Via the great https://twitter.com/chanleycourttv/status/1365850033220968449?s=21
I was hoping that the jury would have common sense!! Justice for Victoria. I heard Vinnie (of CTV) mention that JK's girlfriend, Kathy, committed suicide. Is that correct? If so, did the jury know this?

I was hoping that the jury would have common sense!! Justice for Victoria. I heard Vinnie (of CTV) mention that JK's girlfriend, Kathy, committed suicide. Is that correct? If so, did the jury know this?
Woman charged in disappearance of Victoria Prokopovitz dies
11/3/2020
Snipped
Kathryn M. Friday, 68, was due in court Monday to be sentenced after she was found guilty on counts of obstructing police, perjury and conspiring to commit perjury.

However, Deputy District Attorney Wendy Lemkuil told Brown County Judge Tammy Jo Hock that she had died, according to court records. She did not specify how Friday died.

ETA -
James Prokopovitz Found Guilty of Murdering Wife Victoria Prokopovitz

Snipped
Friday died by suicide last year after she and James Prokopovitz were charged in a perjury case over their statements at a John Doe hearing, which was held as part of the investigation into the disappearance of Victoria Prokopovitz.

Daughters Beg For Answers As James Prokopovitz Gets Life In Prison Without Parole For Killing Wife, Who's Still Missing

"James Prokopovitz was sentenced to life in prison Wednesday for killing his wife, Victoria, but her daughters say the family will never have closure until they learn the truth about what happened to her.

Family members, a jury and now a county judge believe the Pittsfield man killed his wife and disposed of her body. But he has never admitted to those crimes or provided information about how to find her remains.

Prokopovitz, 75, didn't show much emotion when Judge William Atkinson issued the sentencing Wednesday in Brown County Circuit Court."

I know this is weird because no one here is defending James, but some people on Youtube are defending him, and even though it's been a while, I still want to list my own reasoning as to why he's guilty beyond reasonable doubt.

I divide this roughly into two piles: "push" factors (reasons that there is no other explanation for her disappearance) and "pull" factors (reasons that it is believable that he himself did it).

"Push" factors: Why no other explanation makes sense

Vicky is gone. Where could she have gone? How could she have gotten there?
She left the house either:
1. On foot either (a) to kill herself or (b) to start a new life.
2. In a vehicle, again either (a) to kill herself or (b) to start a new life.
The vehicle could have been (a) her own (b) a taxi of some kind (c) a friend.
3. Against her will, with someone other than James.
4. Against her will, with James.

That's it. Those are the possibilities. I mean, if there's another possibility tell me but that's it, right? So.

On foot to commit suicide doesn't make sense. Why? She was apparently in stacked heels and it was muddy and cold out. No footprints were found. A reasonable search radius was searched thoroughly and she wasn't found. If she'd left on foot, there would have been some trace of her, plus, it defies belief that she'd leave in high heels. Further, if she was planning to kill herself, why die in the cold mud? Why do that just a week after her colostomy bag was removed and it was going to be smooth sailing from here? Her previous suicide attempt was clearly a cry for help/attention -- I don't see her lying down in the cold mud to die. And also, they never found her. So leaving on foot to commit suicide doesn't make sense in any way, either from a psychological perspective or an evidentiary one.

In terms of starting a new life, it's hard to believe she'd do that on foot -- in high heels, on a cold muddy night -- but it's equally hard to believe she'd do that in a vehicle. She didn't have one of her own. There wasn't Uber back then and anyway she didn't use apps. She had like 60 names in her phone and few friends. Also, LE checked with every single taxi company and none of them picked her up that night. It also defies belief that she'd leave her children and never contact them again -- she LOVED her kids. Also, she was from all accounts a woman who prided herself on her appearance. She would never have voluntarily left the house without her dentures, which were left behind. I can't imagine her even doing that to commit suicide. She wouldn't want to be found like that. And what about how she was still under medical supervision? If she'd left to start a new life in any way, she'd still need to see a doctor to tend to her sutures. She left her medication and ID behind. She didn't pack a bag with a toothbrush, pack of smokes, and a pair of underwear. The whole "new life" theory is basically impossible, again from a psychological perspective and an evidentiary one. Leaving voluntarily for any reason or in any way defies belief.

So that leaves options 3 and 4 -- leaving involuntarily.

It was James' statement that he was asleep in the downstairs lounge chair when Victoria disappeared. So if we are to suppose that someone abducted Victoria, they would have had to 1. enter the house without waking James 2. find Victoria, an elderly woman, asleep in her bed 3. abduct her for no real reason, but leave behind James (still sleeping!!) and not steal anything 4. find a way to make Victoria disappear forever. I mean. Even the defense didn't try to push this angle because it's bizarre. No one would do that, and again, if they did they would have woken James. So that's not an option.

That just leaves -- James.

Ok, on to "pull" factors -- reasons to believe it could have been James. None of these is individually damning, but together they tell a story. The daughter talks about her concerns that James may have tried to over-medicate Victoria in the weeks before the disappearance. He was away from his house mysteriously for some period of time in the late night/early morning hours the night Victoria disappeared. Then he tells his son "your mom's gone" with no apparent emotion, and goes to work as normal. He was physically strong and was alone with Victoria when she disappeared, and she was a small lightweight woman. In other words, he would have been physically able to do it. Right after she's gone, he immediately begins acting as though Victoria is gone and will never come back. He makes no pretense of grief or concern. He wants to give away her stuff -- clothes, etc. - immediately. Then of course, there's the whole thing about him having a girlfriend, a girlfriend who later kills herself! Not saying she killed herself because of this, but it sure adds weight to the argument. And then of course there's him confessing and later recanting it. So he had the means, motive, and opportunity to kill her, and his behavior both before and after her disappearance was suspicious. Finally, there's his access to one of the few places in the vicinity of his house where someone can dump a body and expect for it to never be found. So he also had means and opportunity to dispose of her body.

Between the push and pull factors, he was gui-ui-ui-lty. I'm so glad the jury voted that way.

APR 29, 2023
“There is families here who span from 1971 to 2022 with missing loved ones,” Founder of Wisconsin Missing Persons Advocacy, Inc. Marsha Loritz said.

Ten years after the disappearance of her mother Victoria Prokopovitz, she continues to advocate for the missing and their families.

“Our stories are different yet the same and the fact that I understand what they’re going through and they understand what I’m going through... we have a bond that is kind of unique,” Lortiz explained. “It’s important to be here to support them and to be a community for them, letting them know that their loved one has not been forgotten.”

Her non-profit hosted its annual missing persons event at the Brown County Sheriff’s Office Saturday. The event featured speakers like Attorney General Josh Kaul and Special Agent Jay Yerges, tables of resources and search and rescue demonstrations.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!
Back