Will Smith slaps Chris Rock on stage live at the OSCARS

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
He must have been out of his mind if he thought he could he could 'make it right' by issuing an apology that EXCLUDED apologizing to Chris Rock. That brought him more negativity.

That slap & prancing off was bad enough but then WS yelling the profanities…whilst JPS perched there like a first lady laughing about the assault.
Got news for ‘ em… they are merely riding a meat covered skeleton, perched on a rock that is hurling through space.

Always loved that quote,lol.
MOO

And ugh. Instead of being at her husband's side to support him at his mental health "retreat" while he processes the shattering of his career, his image, his reputation she attended at gala last night instead.

Jada Pinkett Smith Makes First Public Appearance Since Will Smith Slap
4ff6fa10baab483a9d4818622402d0c3_md.jpg

Poor guy. I hope he at least has someone there with him. jmo

Uh oh....

Chris Rock jokes about Will Smith slap after actor’s banned from Oscars

California-based paper Desert Sun quotes the comedian as saying at the show in Fantasy Springs: “I’m OK, I have a whole show and I’m not talking about [the Will Smith incident] until I get paid.

“Life is good. I got my hearing back,” he then joked.
Yeah never did buy that he'd be traumatised and suffer PTSD from the incident.

His career, I imagine, is on the up and up after this.

Yeah never did buy that he'd be traumatised and suffer PTSD from the incident.

His career, I imagine, is on the up and up after this.

What about trust? Do you honestly think he will ever trust someone to walk up to him again thinking they are going to ad lib and make some kind of joke? At a fancy awards show of all places?
The unfiltered "slap" video on Youtube has had over 94 million views .. the pure humiliation, embarrassment and shock of being $ucker punched like that is enough to traumatize even the strongest of people. I'm betting he would gladly give up his "up and up career" to not have to be made an *** out of on national tv.
IMO Jim Carey was not too far off when he said he would sue for 200 Million .. that breaks down to about $2 per view

What about trust? Do you honestly think he will ever trust someone to walk up to him again thinking they are going to ad lib and make some kind of joke? At a fancy awards show of all places?
IMO Jim Carey was not too far off when he said he would sue for 200 Million .. that breaks down to about $2 per view
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, thank you! And nobody mentions that the show's producer, Will Packer, told Chris to say something to Jada; that the show's writers said they wrote other Jada jokes into the script; and that Packer then went on national TV and blamed CR for the whole incident. Until he was outed for lying about that. Unsurprisingly, Packer is a close buddy of Will Smith.

Watching the media spin on the Slap has been pretty telling the past few days. Just IMO, Will Smith is getting his money's worth from his PR machine:
-- He has big names (e.g. Shaquille O'Neal) publicly supporting him, and Whoopi went ballistic when WS was referred to as 'one of Hollywood's elites'.
--Many stories that he's getting therapy in rehab: though in fact it's a super-exclusive retreat and there's no confirmation he's actually there.
--Stories that his wife is out on the town partying without him--more sympathy for poor Will.
--Stories that comedians go too far with their jokes, that comedians should be controlled. That CR is to blame for what happened. !!!

But we know from studying criminals, actions speak louder than PR words. And what did WS actually DO after the Slap? He smirked on his way off the stage; he and Jada laughed about it right afterward; his son texted 'And that's how we do it!'; WS did NOT apologize to CR until he was forced to do so the next day; instead, WS partied and danced all night with his family at post-Oscar parties.

I submit that is not the behavior of a guy that's remorseful. That's the behavior of one of Hollywood's super-rich elites. Will Smith thinks he can get away with anything.

The unfiltered "slap" video on Youtube has had over 94 million views .. the pure humiliation, embarrassment and shock of being $ucker punched like that is enough to traumatize even the strongest of people. I'm betting he would gladly give up his "up and up career" to not have to be made an *** out of on national tv.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, thank you! And nobody mentions that the show's producer, Will Packer, told Chris to say something to Jada; that the show's writers said they wrote other Jada jokes into the script; and that Packer then went on national TV and blamed CR for the whole incident. Until he was outed for lying about that. Unsurprisingly, Packer is a close buddy of Will Smith.

Watching the media spin on the Slap has been pretty telling the past few days. Just IMO, Will Smith is getting his money's worth from his PR machine:
-- He has big names (e.g. Shaquille O'Neal) publicly supporting him, and Whoopi went ballistic when WS was referred to as 'one of Hollywood's elites'.
--Many stories that he's getting therapy in rehab: though in fact it's a super-exclusive retreat and there's no confirmation he's actually there.
--Stories that his wife is out on the town partying without him--more sympathy for poor Will.
--Stories that comedians go too far with their jokes, that comedians should be controlled. That CR is to blame for what happened. !!!

But we know from studying criminals, actions speak louder than PR words. And what did WS actually DO after the Slap? He smirked on his way off the stage; he and Jada laughed about it right afterward; his son texted 'And that's how we do it!'; WS did NOT apologize to CR until he was forced to do so the next day; instead, WS partied and danced all night with his family at post-Oscar parties.

I submit that is not the behavior of a guy that's remorseful. That's the behavior of one of Hollywood's super-rich elites. Will Smith thinks he can get away with anything.

IMO here are two men who rose to the very top of their respective fields. From this point forth, they will both always be remembered for this moment. Tied together.

What I see when I see Chris' reaction is a humiliated man, bewildered, stunned. A comedian who is well-adjusted to hecklers in an audience, but completely unprepared to deal with a superstar at a prestigious event slapping him with all his might in front of all his peers and a worldwide audience.

The moment I felt Chris' mask had really slipped was after Will twice commanded him to keep his wife's name out of his ******** mouth, and Chris meekly said, "okay, I will." Post-slap and he seemed to me to be really and truly humiliated.

This moment of infamy is going to live forever. I personally hope Chris does in fact make a fortune on it. He deserves it.

<modsnip>

Jmo

Last edited by a moderator:
Of the many unsettling things said in the aftermath of the slap, the most galling to me was his reference to the influence of a higher power during his surreal acceptance speech after he won for his work in “King Richard” less than an hour after his act of violence — and the Academy’s equally shocking decision not to eject Smith from the ceremony.

In his rambling remarks, Smith said, “In this time in my life, in this moment, I am overwhelmed by what God is calling on me to do and be in this world,” he said.

This attempt to explain his actions added to the travesty of this ethical catastrophe. In couching his acceptance speech as somehow submitting to the will of God, Smith abdicated personal accountability.

Will Smith Must Return His Oscar: Guest Column - Variety

Smith’s brutality stripped the entire evening of its prestige. That was proven when stunned Oscar attendees gave a standing ovation to someone who’d just committed an assault in front of their eyes.

With one deft blow, Will Smith created an existential crisis for the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences. The incident was such a jolt to societal norms that it will gnaw away at our national conscience until somehow properly atoned for. Smith, who resigned his AMPAS membership on April 1, was quick to accept his punishment when the 10-year ban was announced April 8. But there is more he should do.

Given the coarseness of pop culture in the age of social media, it was no surprise that much of this year’s Oscar proceedings were frequently profane. But it is an insult to the honor of God to assign him any part of the tawdry episode. To argue that some deterministic force was at play is to deny the sad fact that the affair was purely human. To be sure, a grave moral failure occurred, but the psychology and philosophy that underpins this ongoing spectacle can very ably be explained as an act of free will.

Hit the Nail on the Head.

Jmo

Of the many unsettling things said in the aftermath of the slap, the most galling to me was his reference to the influence of a higher power during his surreal acceptance speech after he won for his work in “King Richard” less than an hour after his act of violence — and the Academy’s equally shocking decision not to eject Smith from the ceremony.

In his rambling remarks, Smith said, “In this time in my life, in this moment, I am overwhelmed by what God is calling on me to do and be in this world,” he said.

This attempt to explain his actions added to the travesty of this ethical catastrophe. In couching his acceptance speech as somehow submitting to the will of God, Smith abdicated personal accountability.

Will Smith Must Return His Oscar: Guest Column - Variety

Smith’s brutality stripped the entire evening of its prestige. That was proven when stunned Oscar attendees gave a standing ovation to someone who’d just committed an assault in front of their eyes.

With one deft blow, Will Smith created an existential crisis for the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences. The incident was such a jolt to societal norms that it will gnaw away at our national conscience until somehow properly atoned for. Smith, who resigned his AMPAS membership on April 1, was quick to accept his punishment when the 10-year ban was announced April 8. But there is more he should do.

Given the coarseness of pop culture in the age of social media, it was no surprise that much of this year’s Oscar proceedings were frequently profane. But it is an insult to the honor of God to assign him any part of the tawdry episode. To argue that some deterministic force was at play is to deny the sad fact that the affair was purely human. To be sure, a grave moral failure occurred, but the psychology and philosophy that underpins this ongoing spectacle can very ably be explained as an act of free will.

Hit the Nail on the Head.

Jmo
I like this part from Will Smith's acceptance speech:

"I’m being called on in my life to love people and to protect people and to be a river to my people. I know to do what we do, you got to be able to take abuse. You got to be able have people talk crazy about you. In this business, you got to be able to have people disrespecting you and you got to smile and you got to pretend like that’s okay."

Alrighty then. But it's perfectly okay for you to abuse Chris Rock??? It's okay when it's you - Will Smith - dishing out the abuse but not okay when it's done to you? Chris Rock just needs to move along and smile and pretend that you assaulting him is okay?

And being called on to love and protect and be a river to "my people". What people are those exactly? Not Chris Rock, apparently. If people aren't your people they aren't entitled to that love and protection of which you speak? How do people apply to be in this inner circle of your people where they can be safe from physical attack by you?

This kind of convoluted outlook is going to take a therapist a long time to unpack.

imo

Jada Pinkett Smith doesn’t ‘deserve’ Will, Tupac wasn’t ‘gangsta’: Kodak Black

Kodak Black: Jada doesn't 'deserve' Will Smith, Tupac

As a tsunami wave of controversy continues to plague the “Girls Trip” star and husband Will Smith, 53, in the wake of the latter’s career-threatening Oscars 2022 slap, rapper Kodak Black, 24, is weighing in on their marital mayhem with both a reprimand and a proposal for Pinkett Smith, 50.

In doing so, the always controversial Kodak also managed to take a huge swipe at the street cred of late hip-hop legend Tupac Shakur, TMZ first reported.

“Jada Pinkett, baby you is out of pocket,” Kodak chastised Saturday during a foul-mouthed Instagram Live, which is going viral on Twitter.

“Come f–k with Kodak. That’s what you need to do, because you’re on some bulls–t,” he added. “You don’t deserve Will Smith. You deserve [Kodak], you deserve me.”

''As a public service for the humor-impaired, Bill breaks down the joke that led to Will Smith slapping Chris Rock at the Oscars.''
Explaining Jokes to Idiots: Oscars Edition | Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - YouTube
Bill outs it all into perspective doesn’t he. Definitely entertaining, and worth a watch.

“ I need to stick up for my tribe. This war on jokes must end.”

“You remind me of some other beautiful buzz cutted movie star.”
“It wasn’t an alopecia joke anymore than the chicken crossing the road was about bird flu.

“Let the common people take the piss out of you for one stinking minute”.

And then he brings in “cancel culture”. Will just found out his original reaction isn’t correct and he should conform to a different view.
He deserves an award just for that. IMO

I like this part from Will Smith's acceptance speech:

"I’m being called on in my life to love people and to protect people and to be a river to my people. I know to do what we do, you got to be able to take abuse. You got to be able have people talk crazy about you. In this business, you got to be able to have people disrespecting you and you got to smile and you got to pretend like that’s okay."

Alrighty then. But it's perfectly okay for you to abuse Chris Rock??? It's okay when it's you - Will Smith - dishing out the abuse but not okay when it's done to you? Chris Rock just needs to move along and smile and pretend that you assaulting him is okay?

And being called on to love and protect and be a river to "my people". What people are those exactly? Not Chris Rock, apparently. If people aren't your people they aren't entitled to that love and protection of which you speak? How do people apply to be in this inner circle of your people where they can be safe from physical attack by you?

This kind of convoluted outlook is going to take a therapist a long time to unpack.

imo
Exactly!
Abuse should never be associated with LOVE! I watched his movie. He did an okay job IMO. Of course I don’t care for the Svengali parent stories. I hated the Cinderella scene. The eggshells those girls walked on - only got sharper & sharper!
So that speech (post CR abuse )was insane.

MOO

Exactly!
Abuse should never be associated with LOVE! I watched his movie. He did an okay job IMO. Of course I don’t care for the Svengali parent stories. I hated the Cinderella scene. The eggshells those girls walked on - only got sharper & sharper!
So that speech (post CR abuse )was insane.

MOO
That whole episode was insane. And I hope he gets a real, licensed mental health professional. I did the deep dive on the one they have and she isn't an actual licensed, credentialed mental health professional. She is a "Life Coach" and "Consultant", whatever that means. A faculty member at some massage school in California. She can't actually practice mental health care in a medical sense. More of a guide or mentor type thing. Which is fine. I have nothing against life coaches. But I'm of the opinion he probably needs some kind of actual mental health treatment.

IMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!
Back