WKMG - Homicide Charges Shortly, Grand Jury next week **MERGED THREADS**

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If we're lucky, that's what will happen. I'm not a FL attorney, nor have I had time to research whether or not FL allows bail for a capital offense, but it's certainly on top of my wish list! :D

A judge can grant bail, (no judge would risk it with her)........but they don't have to on murder, drug dealing, and a few other felonies.

Depending on how many witnesses they call, it can be lengthy. Can you imagine sitting "waiting" to see what the charges are? The Anthony's were explosive before...........this is going to be bad.

I believe they will put her back in jail tomorrow because of those threats. I believe that is why LP is going to Orlando tonight. If it were just for the GJ hearing, he would not come in to Orlando until the first of the week.
That would warm my heart to no end! I believe, I believe...I believe...

Yes, esp if Baez gets her off confinement, this weekend would be a good time for her to boogie out of town. Hope she's watched carefully if she gets off confinement so she can, ummmm, "search for her daughter".

pardon my expression, but there's no way in #$!! that she's going to be allowed to go anywhere with this in the pipeline, IMHO.

I have a really stupid newbie question:o

Will the GJ know this is the KC case or do they just get the evidence without a person attached to it?
Hope I asked that right..

It's been mentioned on these threads a number of times that murder, in Florida, is a non-bondable offense. I can't find the Florida statute to verify that, however in searching Google I can't find a single case of someone who has been bonded out while awaiting trial for murder.

Question for those with GJ experience or knowledge:

1) How long do you estimate it will take to present the evidence to the GJ?

2) Will the GJ come back with an indictment right away? I've read that sometimes they can take 30-60 days.

1. About 2 weeks, give or take a few days.
2. In a few (3 - 5) days after the evidence is presented.

It's going to take at least a day or so to type it up considering all the economic charges.

He's only in the dark if he doesn't follow websleuths and view the evidence released to the public on the web! I think the Judge will grant the request to disclose exculpatory evidence. However, there doesn't appear to be any exculpatory evidence. :doh:
Hey now, there is always the picture! Oh, and Casey's good word!!

I have a really stupid newbie question:o

Will the GJ know this is the KC case or do they just get the evidence without a person attached to it?
Hope I asked that right..
They will know it is the KC case.

Some GJ have been out for a year, don't ask me which I just know I've heard. Too much news in my head.

This is great news. I do remember that if "new" charges were brought up against her while she was out on bond, the bond would be revoked. Correct? Also, a murder charge would land her back in jail too.

Some GJ have been out for a year, don't ask me which I just know I've heard. Too much news in my head.

Grand Jurors are on the panel up to 18 months - they can hear 1 to 5 maybe 10 cases in that time

IF the subject, in this Casey, has been charged already, in which she has on neglect in which the state was to up the ante on the charges, the Grand Jury can take a few days - It only takes a year if it's just an investigation - such as political cases

Hey now, there is always the picture! Oh, and Casey's good word!!
That's about it isn't it. All he's got is a probably photo-shopped picture and a witness he can't ethically put on the stand because she's an habitual liar! He's going to have to defend by attacking the prosecution's witnesses and case.

And another thing to remember is that in Florida ... "state constitution provides that no person may be tried for a capital crime except on presentment and indictment by a grand jury." Someone mentioned the JBR case in comparison ... in that instance the State of Colorado took the case to the GJ primarily to see if they could get any indictment based on the evidence and many think to placate the media and the public ... to be able to say ... "look we just don't have enough, yet" ... while in this instance, I see it as a strong possibility that the GJ indictment is necessary so that the State can proceed with a Capital murder trial.

I hope that made sense ... I really tried!

Yeah, fantastic news! :woohoo:

Had a feeling something was in the works with all the defense buzz and sudden urge to, ah..."help." :rolleyes:

Drew Peterson GJ proceedings have been going on forever, I'm not even sure they are finished.

FRom the Florida Bar Association:

In practice, the prosecuting attorney selects those cases he believes warrant prosecution. The prosecutor then determines whether to proceed by indictment or information. If the prosecutor is required to or chooses to seek an indictment, he then presents his case to a grand jury by interrogating the witnesses he has subpoenaed and presenting other evidence relevant to the alleged offense. The grand jurors themselves also may question witnesses and request additional witnesses or evidence. After that evidence is presented to the grand jury, it decides whether there is probable cause to indict the accused. The accused is not given the opportunity to present evidence in his defense or cross-examine witnesses at the grand jury phase. If the accused is subpoenaed to testify before a state grand jury, that testimony cannot be used against him at trial.

Persons appearing under subpoena before a grand jury are absolutely privileged from liability for libel and slander in conjunction with testimony given before the grand jury. Grand jury witnesses, however, are subject to conviction for the crime of perjury

Florida Statutes Section 905.27(2007) prohibits grand jurors, state attorneys and all other court personnel from disclosing to anyone, except under certain narrowly-specified circumstances, the testimony of a witness examined before the grand jury or other evidence received by it. The statute declares it unlawful:

for any person knowingly to publish, broadcast, disclose, divulge, or communicate to any other person, . . . in any manner whatsoever, any testimony of a witness examined before the grand jury, or the content, gist, or import thereof, except when such testimony is or has been disclosed in a court proceeding.

Reporters also are free to observe the coming and going of witnesses into the grand jury room. Normally, the state attorney, who guides, counsels and strongly influences the conduct of the grand jury, announces, in general terms, the subject of the grand jury inquiry. Often leaks occur and the diligent reporter may gather information from sources close to the grand jury, the grand jury's target and the court's files themselves

CNN is now reporting on the breaking story and Mike Brooks gave his opinions. FYI, Mike is the former detective who is often NG. Love this guy.

Anyway, he says that he believes LE has additional evidence which has not been presented to the public. He also says that the GJ would indict her on homicide or manslaughter and that she would not likely be allowed out on bond after her arrest. He also believes there is enough evidence to indict her. Good news.

Drew Peterson GJ proceedings have been going on forever, I'm not even sure they are finished.

He has no charges against him now pertaining to the disappearence of his fourth wife nor the murder of his third wife - the Grand Jury can take as long as they want

Grand Jurors are on the panel up to 18 months - they can hear 1 to 5 maybe 10 cases in that time

IF the subject, in this Casey, has been charged already, in which she has on neglect in which the state was to up the ante on the charges, the Grand Jury can take a few days - It only takes a year if it's just an investigation - such as political cases

That's good news, because this case is wearing me out. I think about Caylee more then Casey. I just want justice for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState