Woman accused of poisoning friend with eyedrops

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This was one strange case but a great example of how greed overtakes the heart of some and leads them astray. I think a sentence enhancer should be imposed for Jessy trying to spend the last funds of the sweet victim as she lay dying on the very day of her death. That shows total disregard for human life. I rue the day when Jessy took over as a caregiver because she was the enemy of the victim who committed fraud and stole this sweet lady's wealth and her life.

I trust JD to pronounce a sentence of the highest penalty allowed by law on DEC 7.

MOO

I still can't get over that Visine could kill if ingested...
I did see some articles about some types of eyedrops causing serious problems.

Yes, indeed, guilty.
Pretty sure it was used in at least one episode of very early CSI, maybe even first season. So the information has been out there for over twenty years for people who watch that kind of show.

MOO

Kurczewski remains in custody at a Waukesha County detention facility ahead of her December 7 sentencing, according to online jail records. She faces a mandatory life prison sentence on the first-degree murder charge and a maximum 10-year sentence on the pair of theft charges.

Nov 16, 2023

I still can't get over that Visine could kill if ingested...
I did see some articles about some types of eyedrops causing serious problems.

Yes, indeed, guilty.
It's not the sort of thing where if a drop falls into your mouth you're doomed. It takes a lot of Visine to kill a person. I think that the victim ingested something like 6+ bottles in this case.

Wow! From the article:

The woman convicted of killing her friend with eye drops tried to create a new alibi....Prosecutors say Kurczewski wrote a 37-page letter to a friend. The woman turned the documents over to the Waukesha County Sheriff’s Department last week....Kurczewski asked the friend to forge documents and even pretend to be Hernan in a voice recording to back up a story that Hernan was sick and died by suicide.

Wow! From the article:

The woman convicted of killing her friend with eye drops tried to create a new alibi....Prosecutors say Kurczewski wrote a 37-page letter to a friend. The woman turned the documents over to the Waukesha County Sheriff’s Department last week....Kurczewski asked the friend to forge documents and even pretend to be Hernan in a voice recording to back up a story that Hernan was sick and died by suicide.
"Desperate people do desperate things." moo

Here's why her attorney is worried about losing her law license - she delivered the letter to Jessy's friend. Also Jessy told the friend her attorney came up with the scheme. I believe the first part, but highly doubt her attorney came up with the scheme.

Waukesha County Case Number 2021CF000885 State of Wisconsin vs. Jessy R Kurczewski​

Court activities​

DateTimeLocationDescriptionTypeCourt official
12-07-202301:30 pmCourtroom SC-G013Motion hearingCourtDorow, Jennifer R
12-07-202301:30 pmCourtroom SC-G013Sentencing hearingCourtDorow, Jennifer R

Court record​

DateEventCourt officialCourt reporterAmount
12-05-2023Response/replyDorow, Jennifer R
Additional text:State's Objection to the Attorneys' Motions to Withdraw
12-04-2023Letters/correspondenceDorow, Jennifer R
Additional text:Letter to Judge filed by Atty Kuchler

From the news report, here's a screenshot of a letter that the defense counsel sent to the judge.

1.jpg

I'm curious about what's at issue here. Why does JK's lawyer think she's duty-bound to withdraw and that her license is at stake?

Isn't the opposite true? That she's duty-bound to represent her client no matter how stupidly that client behaves? And I can't imagine that anyone would seriously believe that the attorney played any part in this hare-brained scheme, so I don't see why she feels she's in any way at risk? And on top of it, she claims that she will remain silent at the sentencing? Wouldn't that be a violation of her duty to provide adequate representation to her client?

I see from the WI court access site that the state has, not surprisingly, filed a motion opposing the withdrawal.

On Tuesday, prosecutors filed an objection to the defense attorneys’ motions to withdraw.

“In evaluating both motions to withdraw the State feels it necessary to focus on the apparent driving force behind the motions to withdraw is a comment that states, ‘this was one of my attorney’s idea’ referenced in the letter,” the motion reads. “However, though the State will argue that those materials were authored by Ms. Kurczewski, for purposes of Attorneys Kuchler and Galaviz being able to continue representing her, it is important to note that Ms. Kurczewski, in numerous recorded phone calls, has continually denied writing those materials and denied having any idea what they were or who authored them.”

The state also argues that taking both attorneys off the case would deprive Kurczewski of legal representation at a key point in the case that would result in a sentencing delay of several months and leave her “to languish in the Waukesha County Jail.”

@CourtTV

Days before she is scheduled to be sentenced for killing her friend, both of Jessy Kurczewski's attorneys have asked to withdraw.
https://t.co/8tl47FUSLo

10:00 AM · Dec 6, 2023

Sentencing was scheduled for Thurs., Dec. 7, but the hearing is unlikely to continue as planned. On Nov. 30, Donna Kuchler, one of Kurczewski’s filed a motion to withdraw from the case. On Monday, Kurczewski’s other attorney, Pablo Galaviz, also filed a motion to withdraw.

In a phone call with a Court TV producer from jail, Kurczewski said that the attorneys withdrew because of an alleged letter that prosecutors have accused her of sending from jail.

The 37-page letter was written to a friend identified only as “Jessica” and reportedly contains instructions from Kurczewski for creating a tape recording that would pretend to be from Hernan and claim that she died by suicide. The letter, obtained by WISN, allegedly details the characteristics of Hernan’s voice and suggests, “You could even have a movie or music on in the background to help distract…”

“To be clear: I did not write, send or have any involvement in these new developments that prosecutors put out yesterday,” Kurczewski said in a phone call from jail. “I did not send anything, I did not ask anyone to do anything nor did any attorneys say or do anything or were involved in anything either. … As far as somebody being Lynn on a tape, that is absurd as many of us know her voice and would still recognize it. You cannot disguise or try to be someone else. “

I'm curious about what's at issue here. Why does JK's lawyer think she's duty-bound to withdraw and that her license is at stake?

Isn't the opposite true? That she's duty-bound to represent her client no matter how stupidly that client behaves? And I can't imagine that anyone would seriously believe that the attorney played any part in this hare-brained scheme, so I don't see why she feels she's in any way at risk? And on top of it, she claims that she will remain silent at the sentencing? Wouldn't that be a violation of her duty to provide adequate representation to her client?
SBBM
I would think so, especially given how Skye Lazaro is sticking fast and firm with Kouri Richins in the face of the latter's Walk The Dog letter.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CourtKnee
Back