Woman Booted off Plane because of T-Shirt

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
i agree, that people have taken vulgarity in the name of "free speech" too far (although of course what is & isn't "vulgar" could be debated til the end of time)...... HOWEVER...... personally, i can't think of much that is more vulgar than the bush administration, & what it's done to this country.....

Jeana (DP) said:
The woman is a selfish jerk.

Yup, she sure is. But if stupid jerks don't have freedom of speech, none of us do. The Supreme Court has ruled that satire is protected speech, even if - as in this case - the satire isn't particularly clever.

the article says they let her board and fly half way. only when some passengers boarding at a stopover complained did they decide something was wrong. I think at that point I think it was a little late to complain.

While I think there is silliness on all sides, I really think people are being petty to complain about this. The most people are "involuntarily" exposed to this is like a second. I really think people should save their energy on all sides for something more important

Nova said:
Yup, she sure is. But if stupid jerks don't have freedom of speech, none of us do. The Supreme Court has ruled that satire is protected speech, even if - as in this case - the satire isn't particularly clever.
thank you Nova..I hate tee-shirts and bumper stickers and try not to read them. Should they be against the law? come on... as far as good taste, bad taste...Jessie ain't here no more to tell us what's right and wrong, so it's up to us now, the great unwashed stupid public to decide for ourselves...right?...mpi

tuppence said:
the article says they let her board and fly half way. only when some passengers boarding at a stopover complained did they decide something was wrong. I think at that point I think it was a little late to complain.

While I think there is silliness on all sides, I really think people are being petty to complain about this. The most people are "involuntarily" exposed to this is like a second. I really think people should save their energy on all sides for something more important
completely agree with you Tuppence!:clap:

If they can throw someone off of the plane because their shirt is just plain ugly, can we throw them off if their face, attitude, or hair is ugly as well? Just don't look at it, or whatever. There are folks running around in abbreviated shirts with rolls of midriff hanging over their hip huggers in the bigpeople sizes, all over the public domain. Where are the Fashion Police when we need them?

If they were worried about her shirt offending kids and people they could have had her place duct tape over the offensive words.

If she would not do that than kick her off. IMO from what I have read it is more like she had a bash Bush shirt on and they did not give her an option.
She likely had carry on luggage with another shirt. She had to go thru the line and they could have asked her to get a shirt from her luggage.
I think this is more political than offensive.

Becba said:
If they were worried about her shirt offending kids and people they could have had her place duct tape over the offensive words.

If she would not do that than kick her off. IMO from what I have read it is more like she had a bash Bush shirt on and they did not give her an option.
She likely had carry on luggage with another shirt. She had to go thru the line and they could have asked her to get a shirt from her luggage.
I think this is more political than offensive.
I think you're right!

LinasK said:
I think you're right!
I think it is both political and offensive, not that either matters. It is what it is. One day our concerns will be so far from t-shirt ads and grafitti ect that we will pine for the good 'ol days when we bitched over the t-shirts...mpi

Magnum PI said:
I think it is both political and offensive, not that either matters. It is what it is. One day our concerns will be so far from t-shirt ads and grafitti ect that we will pine for the good 'ol days when we bitched over the t-shirts...mpi
;) Yup!

Magnum PI said:

Maybe if we about the T-shirts now, things won't progress to a point that these become the good 'ol days.

Mabel said:
Maybe if we about the T-shirts now, things won't progress to a point that these become the good 'ol days.

Yeah I doubt that, we will just have our freedom taken.

regardless of anybody's political views, if my child can't wear a "religious" tshirt to a Public School function , then this lady shouldn't be wearing a shirt featuring the F word in a public place, around children ect.
she just showed her lack of respect for other people, and no she shouldn't be allowed to get rich over it.
jmo

rachrach99 said:
regardless of anybody's political views, if my child can't wear a "religious" tshirt to a Public School function , then this lady shouldn't be wearing a shirt featuring the F word in a public place, around children ect.
she just showed her lack of respect for other people, and no she shouldn't be allowed to get rich over it.
jmo
"lack of respect" being allowed to "get rich over it" hasn't a thing to do with it. All of us need to think about what freedom of speech really means. All of us would like to dictate what others may wear or think, but thats not the deal here in the USA....so far...mpi

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mt.Grannie
Back