Woman Dies After Nurse Refuses to do CPR

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If my realtive was to enter a nursing home or assisted living facility, I would definitely make sure what they would and wouldn't do. The family is not disputing their relative's care. The only ones disputing it are those of us who read the media articles. Do we know more than the family? I highly doubt it. If not for the 911 recording that was released, no one would be questioning this.
It is good that this has created discussions regarding end of life care. Hopefully, all who are commenting are thinking long and hard about what they would want in this situation. It seems that the family is ok with what happened. We should honor that.
If it causes discussion in your own family regarding thsi issue, all the better, imo.

I don't really have a problem that they didn't do CPR on this woman if she had a DNR. That's a decision that involves her, her family and her doctor not me.

What I have a problem with is that it is an open policy not to do CPR. They advertise they have medical care available, yet they don't do CPR. And they care for a high risk population. That is what I have a problem with.

I don't really have a problem that they didn't do CPR on this woman if she had a DNR. That's a decision that involves her, her family and her doctor not me.

What I have a problem with is that it is an open policy not to do CPR. They advertise they have medical care available, yet they don't do CPR. And they care for a high risk population. That is what I have a problem with.
I totally agree, especially with the bolded part!!!

The bottom line is that no matter what the patient's chances, nor what the family stated they think she wanted (they may have motive to off her), unless a patient has a DNR (No Code) on file, the default for the facility should have been to attempt CPR and save a life!!!!!:furious:

Did this woman have an estate for heirs to inherit?

She died from a stroke and her family was not there. So I fail to see a reason to throw these absurd ideas around.

My dad had a DNR, he always openly discussed his desire. Long before he was old or sick. I'm thankful for that because the hospital still ASKED me! They also asked my mother. There was no agonizing for us, we knew that it was exactly what he wanted and we respected that.

California has a lot of laws that other states do not have. Perhaps facilities there can opt for the no CPR policy. But if the patient/family wants everything done, no matter what, why would they choose a place like that? I would personally prefer to have a social worker who specializes in end of life care, get some legal documents signed yes or no on all these things. Then the family and the facility both know exactly what is expected of both parties. But calling 911 to basically perform a code 5-10 minutes after the patient stops breathing and/or has no heartbeat is a useless waste of resources and cruel to the patient.

Not doing CPR does not equal euthanasia.
And if an elderly person does not want CPR, they shouldn't be subjected to it.

There was nothing in writing stating that she had a DNR. You can't go by oral orders from the family. CPR must be the default if there is no DNR.

I remember when I got my job at the library. I was already a certified fist responder with our fire dept, running calls in our small town. I was familiar with how it was done, knew all of the paramedics and ambulance crew, etc.

My new librarian boss told me on the day i was hired that I better never put my hands on anyone in the library in a life saving measure, that I would be fired and it was not my job. She was concerned about the librairy's liability, blah, blah, blah. I was very shocked but smiled and said "Ok",knowing that in a real situation I would react and not have a single regret about being fired compared to a human's life. Heck, I could declare that i quit and then quickly begin CPR. Luckily that time never came.

But it shocked me for a library to behave this way. But i can completely understand an assisted living facility not wanting to risk lawsuits over stuff so they simply don't offer medical care as part of the deal. They call 911, stay with the patient and that is that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SapphireGem
Back