Woman lives on Pizza

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yeah, I too heard in the news and it was just the other day about a young woman who only ate fries her entire life and one day she finally got really sick. It might have been chicken nuggets.

Sounds crazy, doesn't it? Unfortunately, that is the life my 11 year old lives. My son is oral defensive. For him it started as a sensory issue. As time went on it seems he became very afraid to try new things. We have finally managed to add a food small things to his diet. He eats cheese quesadillas, French fries, peanut butter sandwiches, spinach, carrot sticks, cereal(dry), toast, and grilled cheese occasionally. Recently he discovered whipped cream. That may not sound like to something to celebrate but for a child who only eats dry, salty foods it really is. He has even begun to lick the spoon when I make buttercream icing!
It really affects more aspects of life then come to mind right away. We really can't even enjoy eating out. There are only a few places we can go that have food to fit the bill. Usually it is just fries so we feed him something better about an hour before we go out.
The worst part is people just don't understand. It's hard. Imagine, while you are cooking your child comes to you asking what it is, saying it smells so good. Now imagine when your child tries to taste it they vomit :( picky isn't just always picky, it isn't always a choice. Hopefully, little by little he will continue to add small, new things. Maybe one day he will actually be able to eat a meal I make, or at least his own birthday cake!

My parents would never have allowed it to start . . . I remember hating certain foods & refusing to eat them. Didn't matter to them. What ever they provided to us, we ate or went hungry.

OCD to the extreme, sure, but I think it's a farce.

I, too, am a selective eater & do not eat certain foods (chicken, pork, french fries, fried food in general, never fast food, soda, etc) because I choose to be responsible for my health & maintain a healthy diet.

My parents would never have allowed it to start . . . I remember hating certain foods & refusing to eat them. Didn't matter to them. What ever they provided to us, we ate or went hungry.

I, too, am a selective eater & do not eat certain foods (chicken, pork, french fries, fried food in general, never fast food, soda, etc) because I choose to be responsible for my health & maintain a healthy diet.

Please don't take this as an attack, it isn't but..... Your post is what we deal with every day. In my son's case it isn't a matter of not letting it start. Food literally makes him vomit ! It isn't something based on being picky. It isnt to get attention. It isnt because he is spoiled. With my son it is a sensory processing issue.

Please understand .... My son WILL NOT eat whatever if he gets hungry enough, he just CAN'T.

It's really, really hard.

I just can't understand why this woman hasn't had a heart attack yet, notice there was no picture of her accompanying the article. Now don't get me wrong, I love pizza, when it is good pizza- like Chicago style Deep Dish, but I try not to eat it all the time, and I do have high cholesterol. If I were her, I would also be sick of it, eating it all the time.

No shock to me at all. This is my OH's diet:

Beef, but only in the form of burgers or Chilli.
Chicken, plain grilled or with teriaki mariade.
Bread.
Sausage rolls.

He will not eat any vegetables or fruit, with the exception of cress (no...seriously). His explanation is that as a child, he either ate what his mother gave him (even if it made him throw up e.g baked beans) or he went without food. As an adult, he refuses to eat anything he dislikes. The whole 'eating thing' runs through his entire family - I could bore you senseless with what his brother and sisters won't eat.

It makes family gatherings a blast, let me tell you. There is nothing I can cook that won't result in at least a few facial expressions that suggest there's a really nasty smell in the room.

Most of the people in the world eat only rice on a daily basis, with beans now and then.

I have to think this woman who eats cheese and tomato sauce pizza every day is WAY ahead of the group.

No shock to me at all. This is my OH's diet:

Beef, but only in the form of burgers or Chilli.
Chicken, plain grilled or with teriaki mariade.
Bread.
Sausage rolls.

He will not eat any vegetables or fruit, with the exception of cress (no...seriously). His explanation is that as a child, he either ate what his mother gave him (even if it made him throw up e.g baked beans) or he went without food. As an adult, he refuses to eat anything he dislikes. The whole 'eating thing' runs through his entire family - I could bore you senseless with what his brother and sisters won't eat.

It makes family gatherings a blast, let me tell you. There is nothing I can cook that won't result in at least a few facial expressions that suggest there's a really nasty smell in the room.

Um Hmm. My husband's brother, his wife, and kids don't eat normal food. They only eat unhealthy fast food. They're not like kids with sensory issues who only eat noodles and granola, these people only eat fast food, and they are picky about where it comes from. Makes family holidays miserable. On the other hand, no one but the wife is overweight. ??

My Mother in Law is an EXCELLENT cook, and her Christmas and Thanksgiving dinners are truly DELICIOUS, but this branch of the family can't (they use the word "can't") eat it. If it's from Sonic, or Jack in the Box, or Dunkin Donuts (not krispy kreme, by the way) they wolf it down.

I don't get it. I DO get sensory eating issues, I don't get insisting it's from a fast food outlet.

Sounds crazy, doesn't it? Unfortunately, that is the life my 11 year old lives. My son is oral defensive. For him it started as a sensory issue. As time went on it seems he became very afraid to try new things. We have finally managed to add a food small things to his diet. He eats cheese quesadillas, French fries, peanut butter sandwiches, spinach, carrot sticks, cereal(dry), toast, and grilled cheese occasionally. Recently he discovered whipped cream. That may not sound like to something to celebrate but for a child who only eats dry, salty foods it really is. He has even begun to lick the spoon when I make buttercream icing!
It really affects more aspects of life then come to mind right away. We really can't even enjoy eating out. There are only a few places we can go that have food to fit the bill. Usually it is just fries so we feed him something better about an hour before we go out.
The worst part is people just don't understand. It's hard. Imagine, while you are cooking your child comes to you asking what it is, saying it smells so good. Now imagine when your child tries to taste it they vomit :( picky isn't just always picky, it isn't always a choice. Hopefully, little by little he will continue to add small, new things. Maybe one day he will actually be able to eat a meal I make, or at least his own birthday cake!
Poor guy. I feel so bad for him. My friend's son has sensory issues and it is quite a challenge. Hopefully, it will improve as he gets older.

I don't believe the medical disorder is a choice on the child's part. (that is just my opinion as you stated yours.)
I do not believe it is a farce.

Goz

BTW, I was the mom that stood in the supermarket deli and cried the day my son took the (cold) slice of cheese they offered and ate it ! He said it was really good. He was 9 years old ! Now when nachos are on the school lunch menu he brings cheese slices, tortilla chips, spinach, carrots, and a low fat chocolate milk. He can't eat hot nachos but he can eat the parts. Most days are all about being creative!

BTW, I was the mom that stood in the supermarket deli and cried the day my son took the (cold) slice of cheese they offered and ate it ! He said it was really good. He was 9 years old ! Now when nachos are on the school lunch menu he brings cheese slices, tortilla chips, spinach, carrots, and a low fat chocolate milk. He can't eat hot nachos but he can eat the parts. Most days are all about being creative!

BBM

LOL-- this made me laugh, that's cute!!

What does your child's doctor say about this? Does his condition (I'm not exactly sure what to call it) have a name? Do you think that the reason he throws up when he eats new food is because it's a shock to his system? I am genuinely curious, I hope I don't come off as nosy.

Hi Davehead, my sons DR says to wait it out, keep him eating cheese for protein, keep offering and trying to add new things. Each Dr he has seen in the practice has said not to make food a battle, which I never have. Hubby has had a bigger problem understanding it all. He comes from a large Italian family where life centers around food. Bit by bit he has come to understand it more. One day I came home to a very upset son and aggravated, confused hubby. While I was out hubby decided to try and force feed my son (J) ! J completely freaked out, lots of tears, vomiting, anger at dad for doing it. It took days for J to go back to eating without gagging/ vomiting. We won't talk about the things I said to dad ! Let's just say we had a long talk. This all happened several years ago, dad is more understanding now.
My son is listed in his medical records as being " oral defensive", while his other sensory issues are basically gone this one is sticking around. The Drs do believe he will out grow most of it, although a small number of people don't.
Just to be clear.... J is also a highly intelligent child. He is on the high honor roll and scored in the top 5 percent in the state on the state math tests. That math score is allowing him to take the SCAT test ( for grades 9-12) in 6th grade. He will take the taste thru John Hopkins University. If he scores well he will be able to take a wide variety of online courses thru Hopkins.
Sorry for writing a book! LOL. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

I have four children. I fed each one as an infant/toddler the same. Three of them eat pretty much normally. (Of course, they prefer junk to vegetables, but they still eat veggies.) My 10 year old was different right from the baby food days. He didn't like any baby food with "chunks" and would spit it out. We just fed him food without chunks, and he started eating table food well. Normally, kids add more and more foods they like to their diet, but he started making his list smaller. I do not make him special meals. I have always put on his plate exactly what goes on the other. However, I do try to make at least one of the items something I know he likes. I usually ask him to eat at least one bite of something. Around ages 7-8, this was really difficult. He gagged, and I hated making mealtime feel like it was torture, especially for just one kid and not the other three. Now, he has started trying a few more things. He will eat almost anything salty/crunchy.... fries, popcorn, crackers, chips, etc. He will eat most breads/cereals/pastas. He is doing much better with different meats. He used to only eat chicken and hamburger, but has now decided he likes roast, steak, stew meat. No fish at all. He also eats no veggies or fruits. (I hide veggies in whatever I can... like pureed carrots in pizza sauce, etc.)

Then today..... without me saying a word, he put a spoonful of speckled butter beans on his dinner plate and ate about 9 of them! I could have passed out!!!!!! I praised him and he was so proud of himself.

I am dealing with it day by day. My goal is to not create some kind of eating disorder on top of whatever this is that he has. I don't want to single him out and make mealtime painful for him. I encourage him, and he has gotten so much better at trying different foods, and I let him spit it out if he doesn't like it. One day he told me, "Mama, I really wish I liked grapes. They look so good and I want to eat them, but when I do, I want to throw up." :(

The thing is... all my other kids are really good eaters, and I haven't done anything different with him. He's a loving, gentle, and kind child, who is smart, funny, and strikingly adorable. He's also very healthy and of normal size, with to die for skin and no cavities. He got the flu two years ago, but other than that, I don't think I've even had to carry him to the doctor for anything other than well child checkups!

Hi Tide

All the best to you. How exciting about the beans.

Blessings

Goz

A counselor made a great suggestion to me for a breakfast food. My child loves milk, for example. She suggested the Carnation Breakfast Essentials packets. Works great for me!

I have four children. I fed each one as an infant/toddler the same. Three of them eat pretty much normally. (Of course, they prefer junk to vegetables, but they still eat veggies.) My 10 year old was different right from the baby food days. He didn't like any baby food with "chunks" and would spit it out. We just fed him food without chunks, and he started eating table food well. Normally, kids add more and more foods they like to their diet, but he started making his list smaller. I do not make him special meals. I have always put on his plate exactly what goes on the other. However, I do try to make at least one of the items something I know he likes. I usually ask him to eat at least one bite of something. Around ages 7-8, this was really difficult. He gagged, and I hated making mealtime feel like it was torture, especially for just one kid and not the other three. Now, he has started trying a few more things. He will eat almost anything salty/crunchy.... fries, popcorn, crackers, chips, etc. He will eat most breads/cereals/pastas. He is doing much better with different meats. He used to only eat chicken and hamburger, but has now decided he likes roast, steak, stew meat. No fish at all. He also eats no veggies or fruits. (I hide veggies in whatever I can... like pureed carrots in pizza sauce, etc.)

Then today..... without me saying a word, he put a spoonful of speckled butter beans on his dinner plate and ate about 9 of them! I could have passed out!!!!!! I praised him and he was so proud of himself.

I am dealing with it day by day. My goal is to not create some kind of eating disorder on top of whatever this is that he has. I don't want to single him out and make mealtime painful for him. I encourage him, and he has gotten so much better at trying different foods, and I let him spit it out if he doesn't like it. One day he told me, "Mama, I really wish I liked grapes. They look so good and I want to eat them, but when I do, I want to throw up." :(

The thing is... all my other kids are really good eaters, and I haven't done anything different with him. He's a loving, gentle, and kind child, who is smart, funny, and strikingly adorable. He's also very healthy and of normal size, with to die for skin and no cavities. He got the flu two years ago, but other than that, I don't think I've even had to carry him to the doctor for anything other than well child checkups!

You have my sympathies. I am the old, grown-up version of your child. Even the grapes, I like how they look, I think they smell good, but when I try to eat them I gag.

When I was about 10, my best friend had a birthday pizza party. Her mother ordered me a hot dog, which I know was her being nice, but it made my problem more conspicuous, and I wanted to crawl in a hole and die. This is not fun.

My menu has expanded a little over the years (I do eat pizza now) but I can still dry heave just hearing people talk about food sometimes. I don't know what it is, but I am sure after all these years it's not in my head. About the only differences I see between what you relate and my experience is I could only eat pasta plain or with butter (I can eat sauce now, but still can't handle mac and cheese) and I can't eat beans.

This is a very interesting thread. I have a mouth sensory problem with a few foods. It isn't the taste, it's the *feel* of them in my mouth. . .you could take me out for the most expensive lobster possible and I'd rather have a steak. I like mushroom soup in casseroles, I can't eat mushrooms. My ex made so much fun of me not eating mushrooms in pizza that I try to ignore them IF they are small and 'hidden', if I can SEE them I still pick them out. I think my aversion to sea food of all kinds is mostly sensory, though smell might be part of it. My middle son won't eat tomato chunks nor fresh tomatoes, catsup and spaghetti sauce are fine. Of course, none of the 3 ate anything with tomatoes, except catsup, spaghetti was with butter, when they were growing up, 2 have gotten over it. This is mild compared you mamma's with children who can't eat certain foods. I can imagine how hard that is but I understand their problem.

The grapes. . . could you eat them if they were cut in half or into quarters? Just curious and wondering if it's the feel of that 'big marble' in your mouth.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste
Back