Women in Crime Terry and Diane

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I believe that some of your facts are subjective.

Just curious, what about them makes you see them as subjective? It seems to me they were pretty objective (e.g. Diane didn't go to college but Terri had her Master's, etc.).

Thanks,
Charli-Ann

Here are some factual errors:

Diane Downs' children had the same father.
Terri has had two children, two fathers.

Diane never completed the first year of college.
Terri has a Master's degree.

Diane claims someone else did it.
Terri has never said anything other than she did not.

Diane had no one who could verify her story.
Terri's alibi has so far checked out, having been to stores and a gym and someone seeing her.

These are just a few factual errors. There are no doubt more. Wanting Terri to fit into the mold of Diane Downs, using gossip and speculation is easy. When you add facts, it falls apart. Or it should. Perhaps it won't.

Carry on.

I respectfully disagree with your recitation of factual errors on the article:

1. Diane Downs' youngest child, the boy she crippled, was not from the same father as her girls. He was the product of an affair.

2. There is no mention of the two women's educational backgrounds in the article.

3. There is no mention in the article of both women wither saying they did not do it or saying nothing.

4. I have yet to hear anyone but TH say that her "alibis" check out. Instead, it appears, based on her own comments, that there is an hour or more during which she was "wandering" around on back roads, supposedly to soothe her child, coincidentally on the very day her kid went missing.

But regardless of whether there actually exist factual error or not, (actually, I think the article states as fact things that have yet to be substantiated, like the cell phone pings, but that are not necessarily incorrect), I don't see much of a resemblance between the two women. Diane Downs was a wild and strange woman and always was considered such. She couldn't stop talking about the day her kids were shot. TH does not seem to have that reputation. Her own husband says he was shocked by what he now believes and that this is out of character. And TH has remained very quiet.
I respectfully think it's an unfair comparison. The only similarity is they are both women from Oregon and both have been suspected (Diane later convicted), of harming their child (or children).
I like Ms. Fanning's books but I think journalists should be careful about stating as fact things that have not been proven yet. It's very easy to add caveats to such statements, such as, (if reports are true, her cell phone pings show...). Not qualifying such statements may act to undermine the point they are trying to make. IMHO.

I agree with debs post. I don't agree with the bold because I never heard Terri comes out and say anything, (is there a link she said that or just hearsay)

I not sure that we really know if her alibi check out:waitasec:

I follow Diane Down from 1984 I follow and read and watch everything on this monster.

If you want compare Diane to Susan Smith I say okay...but not Terri horman. Terri is lot more complicate.
:banghead:

I've always felt that Diane was very complicated. She may not have had a college degree like Terri does, but I have a feeling she would have excelled in college. (that's just moo after studying this person for many years)

Some things I've learned about Susan Smith recently have brought some more "complication" into what I thought I knew about her as well. I still can't think about what she did and what happened to those children without feeling chills, but I do feel that perhaps she was damaged before she hit maturity. (Something I've also contemplated regarding Diane as well.)

Not excuses whatsoever, but something at least to bring *some* measure of understanding to what is after all, an un-understandable crime.

(but oh, how I feel for the children...)

Danny is Diane's son from her marriage.

Diane's daughter, born to her in jail 10 days after her conviction, I believe is the child you state was the result of an affair.

Diane's educational background is available online; referenced in several articles. Terri's educational background is available on this site.

Diane's claim of a bushy haired man attacking her on a lonely road is her primary defense, and therefore the lack of its attention paid in this particular article is rather disturbing, but does not detract from the fact that it is, in fact, her alibi.

Terri writes in her email (again, referenced here) that she was being blamed (the inference, and I imagine the only subjective point) is that she means she did not do it)

I respectfully disagree that it is misleading... IMO it is simply showing some of the very real similarities in these two women..

However, if some believe that Terri is completely an innocent victim in this tragedy of a precious child that is gone- FOREVER, IMO, then I can understand how those would NOT see the correlation between the two...

I believe that there are many, such as myself, that find this in no way misleading, none whatsoever...

And that is what I love about a place such as WS we all can express what we agree with and what we do not.

I wasn't talking about the comparisons drawn.

T
he similarities between Diane Downs and Terri Horman are striking indeed. Both women have children from numerous relationships, and both women appear to use sex as a tool to manipulate. In Terri's case, it appears that she attempted to seduce a gardener in her employ in the hopes he would agree to murder her husband, Kaine.

http://womenincrimeink.blogspot.com/2010_09_01_archive.html

Fanning needs some serious help with her thesis. The paragraph above is the only place in the article where she attempts to point out correlations between the two women, and she misses the mark by a mile.

• Both women have children from numerous relationships; and
  • Both women appear to use sex as a tool to manipulate
That's it. Based on the first fact(?), Terri and Diane share "striking similarities" with a great number of women. Big deal. Obviously, the second correlation is the one Fanning hoped would pack a wallop, but it fizzles. It's pure conjecture. Nevertheless, Fanning makes this feeble attempt to bolster her argument.

"In Terri's case it appears that she attempted to seduce a gardener..."

(Ugh...that word again!) Who said that Terri seduced the landscaper? That's news to me. We can speculate that might be the case, but it doesn't make it true. Further, we've learned quite a bit about Diane Downs over the years. Terri, on the other hand, is still quite the mystery.

I don't want to offend anyone, but in my honest and humble opinion, Fanning's blog post is entirely void of merit.

T
he similarities between Diane Downs and Terri Horman are striking indeed. Both women have children from numerous relationships, and both women appear to use sex as a tool to manipulate. In Terri's case, it appears that she attempted to seduce a gardener in her employ in the hopes he would agree to murder her husband, Kaine.

http://womenincrimeink.blogspot.com/2010_09_01_archive.html

BBM. Doesn't Terri have two children? Two children = two relationships, no?

Anything more than one relationship = numerous?

Desiree has two children from two relationships, no?

I don't get this.

FWIW Diane Downs' fourth child (Amy Elizabeth now known as Rebecca Babcock, born after Downs' arrest) was fathered by a different man than her first three children.

I agree, thisarticle is weak ... better if it would have been set aside until more information came forward to prove the author's thesis.

I think the timing of this article is very premature...
Agreed, particularly from a writer's standpoint. When all is said and done, Terri might turn out to be very much like Diane. But if not, Fanning's cred as a crimewriter goes out the window.

The article would've been provocative if she'd posed her idea as a question. Do Terri and Diane share similar traits? Then she could've speculated about the possibilites, throwing out some examples that fit, and left it open ended for the reader to ponder.

I also found the article premature.
TH has only been charged with a DUI and traffic violations to my knowledge.
And I will also add that manipulating men for sex has been going on since the beginning of time, and it has not always been related to a crime.

I don't think it's fair to compare Terri and Downs just yet. Kyron hasn't been determined to be deceased and hasn't even been found. Diane tried to murder her children and told a wild tale about an attacker. Diane was said to have been neglectful and Terri almost seemed as if she was too concerned about health and school behavior. The sexual manipulations of Diane didn't work too well since she couldn't keep a man yet Terri was with Kaine for a long time and had a good husband before him. No comparison IMO. Lots of women use their sexuality and don't murder children, and we don't know that Terri was manipulating with sexting. Usually it's the men on the other end doing the manipulating as women who've ever chatted online with men find out pretty quick.

BBM. Doesn't Terri have two children? Two children = two relationships, no?

Anything more than one relationship = numerous?

Desiree has two children from two relationships, no?

I don't get this.

Using the author's line of reasoning, TH and Mary Bell have a lot in common also - at one time they were both ten-year-old girls and both cases involved little boys.

Agreed, particularly from a writer's standpoint. When all is said and done, Terri might turn out to be very much like Diane. But if not, Fanning's cred as a crimewriter goes out the window.

The article would've been provocative if she'd posed her idea as a question. Do Terri and Diane share similar traits? Then she could've speculated about the possibilites, throwing out some examples that fit, and left it open ended for the reader to ponder.

I agree, Bessie.

I'm a fan of accurate information - information I can then use to make up my own mind & form my own hypotheses.

I'm not a fan of being told what to think, which is what I personally feel this particular *editorial* disguised as an article was attempting to do.

MOO

Using the author's line of reasoning, TH and Mary Bell have a lot in common also - at one time they were both ten-year-old girls and both cases involved little boys.

Only if you were going to use the criteria of leaving out pertinent information, like say, Mary Bell killed 2 people before she was 11, and Terri has yet to answer to more than a DUI at the age of 35.

I'm much more open-minded when I'm asked questions, than when I'm instructed to believe what someone else insists are the *answers* (as I feel this article attempted to do).

MOO

Only if you were going to use the criteria of leaving out pertinent information, like say, Mary Bell killed 2 people before she was 11, and Terri has yet to answer to more than a DUI at the age of 35.

BBM. Yeah, THAT too.

The article is written by Anne Bremner, not Diane Fanning.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichelleleighD70
Back