Would the Govt response be different in NO.......

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
T'sNana said:
The President working, handing out water, helping evacuate people...JMO. I know...I know...Secret Service would have a coronary! Those poor guys!

I see the President walking around and talking to these people that are needing water, food, etc. Why isn't someone handing them what they need to survive WHILE they're awaiting evacuation? Is that too much to ask?!!! I heard all the cameras in the background shooting pics of this moment but I would be more impressed with him helping them instead of lip service! JMO...don't hurt me!

How much fuel was wasted to get him there for this photo opportunity?

Mabel said:
I'd be the first president of the US who used coupons to buy groceries.
Well someone needs to! I think a woman president who has raised children as a single parent or with little or no money or BOTH (usually the case as a single parent) and who has not come from money should be in charge. Get these people who they have in shelters to work (those able to). Give them back their pride! Make them feel useful!

T'sNana said:
You're right!! IMO, it's discrimination against POOR people....and that is a shame in America! We are trying fix everyone else's problems and can't even take care of our own!

IMO, this is closer to the truth, rather than true race, per se. My take is it's an insensitivity (whether it's in a selfish way or accidental) towards their plight, and not understanding they often don't have the basics. It's the part of NO you don't really think about under normal circumstances. NO is known for being a party city, tourist attraction, etc. Maybe once a year it makes national news that they're #1 in the murder rate, or similar crime stats. Every large urban area has it's projects and poverty-stricken citizens. It's glossed over everywhere, not just NO.

I, too, wonder when we'll quit spending so much $ on foreign aid and take care of so many needs here in the US. But remember how we were condemned after the Tsunami, we didn't give "enough," and "quick enough?" Damned if we do, damned if we don't.

Mabel said:
How much fuel was wasted to get him there for this photo opportunity?
Well, THEY don't pay for it...WE DO! I just bought a big truck 5 months ago too for our boat (fishing boat, nothing fancy) because hubby and I are getting older and would like to enjoy life, but NOOOOO!!! We have to decide on food, gas for work, doctor, etc. or a few hours on a Saturday or Sunday fishing!

Mabel said:
I don't believe anyone is in charge right now, which is what the mayor said 3 days ago.
Exactly.

And what we've seen bears that out. Remember thousands of people were told to go to the Convention Center (I have to find who told them). They got there. No food. No water. Most importantly, no one in charge. One man interviewed yesterday said, "We need someone in here with a bullhorn. Just tell us what to do." Now, I know things got bad but at no point was there anyone official taking charge.

Police went in and had to be pulled out for their own safety. That happened yesterday or Wednesday. And that was, as far as I can tell, that.

T'sNana said:
I can't understand, if there was a mandatory evacuation, WHY there are PEOPLE still there as well.
Although it's called a "mandatory evacuation," law enforcement and emergency personnel can't legally force anyone to leave against their will. It happens here in Florida all the time. Mandatory simply means that they strongly recommend you leave for your own safety; but, if you choose to stay, they want to know how to contact your next of kin.

Okay, now you've made my list of people for public office. I hope you have time! GREAT POINTS!! We need people in there who have SEEN the bad and let us know (America) how we can get a handle on it (crime before, during and after the hurricane). So, get some rest... you've got lots of handshaking to do!!! :laugh:
DEPUTYDAWG said:
IMO, this is closer to the truth, rather than true race, per se. My take is it's an insensitivity (whether it's in a selfish way or accidental) towards their plight, and not understanding they often don't have the basics. It's the part of NO you don't really think about under normal circumstances. NO is known for being a party city, tourist attraction, etc. Maybe once a year it makes national news that they're #1 in the murder rate, or similar crime stats. Every large urban area has it's projects and poverty-stricken citizens. It's glossed over everywhere, not just NO.

I, too, wonder when we'll quit spending so much $ on foreign aid and take care of so many needs here in the US. But remember how we were condemned after the Tsunami, we didn't give "enough," and "quick enough?" Damned if we do, damned if we don't.

Ntegrity said:
Although it's called a "mandatory evacuation," law enforcement and emergency personnel can't legally force anyone to leave against their will. It happens here in Florida all the time. Mandatory simply means that they strongly recommend you leave for your own safety; but, if you choose to stay, they want to know how to contact your next of kin.
What about the nursing home patients and hospital patients? That's the real issue I can't understand. Of course, I have never lived in an area with hurricanes. I am learning more than I ever wanted to know and I appreciate your input.

The Army convoys are rolling now to the Convention Center. Tons of supplies! Evidently they're saying to the looters, "This is not Iraq - Put down your guns".

Quite a sight to see them all rolling in (CNN), the ocean of water comes maybe 1/3 to 1/2 way up their wheels, and it makes waves as they roll through.

Marthatex said:
The Army convoys are rolling now to the Convention Center. Tons of supplies! Evidently they're saying to the looters, "This is not Iraq - Put down your guns".

Quite a sight to see them all rolling in (CNN), the ocean of water comes maybe 1/3 to 1/2 way up their wheels, and it makes waves as they roll through.
Thanks for the info!!! I'm so glad!!! These people have got to be encouraged about that!

Ntegrity said:

OK, I didn't know that, Ntegrity. I was wondering if they could make them leave. But maybe they should change that policy if it's about guaruanteed you're going to die. (Lake Ponchertrain)

But surely they weren't able to talk to all the people who stayed back and get numbers of their next of kin.?

Marthatex said:

It's a wonderful sight.

jannuncutt said:
...........what N word was replaced by black?
Well, Jann, I'll tell you. Many, many years ago it was acceptable to say Negro. It was polite and back then, it showed respect. Some prejudiced ingnoramuses used a bastardation of the word and said "". It was demeaning and I believe those who used it were what we could call "poor white trash" in order to make themselves feel and look better than their fellow man. However, many Afro-Americans used that same "N" word themselves, among themselves. Was that ok? I don't know, but they did and it was acceptable as long as it was used between themselves. In the sixties, the younger generation started using other terms, "blacks", as I remember. Even then the older generations of "blacks" did not wish to associate with radicals and Negro was still acceptable to them. Now times have changed.

That's the best and most polite way I can answer you.

ETA: Now let me tell you, there is definitely a "pecking order" among people of color in Miami, for example. It depends on your heritage. Bahamian, Jamacian, Hatian and American. I know this for a fact. Told by themselves to me.

T'sNana said:
What about the nursing home patients and hospital patients? That's the real issue I can't understand. Of course, I have never lived in an area with hurricanes. I am learning more than I ever wanted to know and I appreciate your input.
I can't answer that honestly since I've had no experience with it. I know that a friend's mom was taken by ambulance from a nursing home in Destin to Panama City before we were hit by Ivan (she died en route, BTW, so moving them isn't always the best idea). I'm not sure whether this was decided by the family or the nursing home. I've never heard of our hospitals being evacuated, but then none of them are near the gulf and wouldn't be affected by storm surge.

True...the transporting (even under usual circumstances) can be more dangerous. Thanks!
Ntegrity said:
I can't answer that honestly since I've had no experience with it. I know that a friend's mom was taken by ambulance from a nursing home in Destin to Panama City before we were hit by Ivan (she died en route, BTW, so moving them isn't always the best idea). I'm not sure whether this was decided by the family or the nursing home. I've never heard of our hospitals being evacuated, but then none of them are near the gulf and wouldn't be affected by storm surge.

It's kind of like when I was a girl growing up, there were "Mexicans", but now it is better to say Hispanics or Latino or Latina (female) When writing, some prefer Hispanic, others prefer Latino; sometimes you don't know what the heck to write.

Also, Indians that I knew as a girl are now Native Americans. As a teacher, I'm so used to saying Indians that I always forget. But then if you forget, some parent or administrator is going to "call you on it", when of course you meant no offense to anyone.

My husband is supposed to refer to someone as a woman, or female not a "lady", in his medical records. He can get in trouble for calling someone a lady. (of course he always forgets and usually says "very nice lady" or somesuch)

Isn't that ripe?

Marthatex said:
OK, I didn't know that, Ntegrity. I was wondering if they could make them leave. But maybe they should change that policy if it's about guaruanteed you're going to die. (Lake Ponchertrain)

But surely they weren't able to talk to all the people who stayed back and get numbers of their next of kin.?
I know that in NW Florida, police go door-to-door in evacuation areas trying to encourage people to leave. Some stay and some of those die. The cops don't physically drag them out of their homes kicking and screaming, but they always ask for next of kin information for the ones who refuse to leave. Sometimes that shocks people into the realization this is deadly serious. Since I live in a different (more affluent) "culture" (there's that word again LOL), people are more prone to leave their "stuff" behind (heck, it's insured anyhow) and worry about saving their lives. I suspect many of the Project residents in NO didn't have insurance and thought they could stay and protect their property. I understand that thinking but it wasn't a wise choice. We'll never win a fight with Mother Nature.

So true!! :clap: We're PEOPLE! Also, I remember when being a "lady" was a good thing!
Marthatex said:
It's kind of like when I was a girl growing up, there were "Mexicans", but now it is better to say Hispanics or Latino or Latina (female) When writing, some prefer Hispanic, others prefer Latino; sometimes you don't know what the heck to write.

Also, Indians that I knew as a girl are now Native Americans. As a teacher, I'm so used to saying Indians that I always forget. But then if you forget, some parent or administrator is going to "call you on it", when of course you meant no offense to anyone.

My husband is supposed to refer to someone as a woman, or female not a "lady", in his medical records. He can get in trouble for calling someone a lady. (of course he always forgets and usually says "very nice lady" or somesuch)

Isn't that ripe?

Ntegrity said:

I believe the hospitals weren't evacuated was because most of them have large generators and are built stronger than the average home and in a lot of cases moving the patient would risk their lives. What happened was the levee breaches that caused the huge flooding, disabling the generators.

In addition, had they tried to evacuate the hospitals early on where would all these patients go? New Orleans is where most people go for serious medical needs. Charity Hospital is a state run facility for the poor. University Medical in Lafayette is another charity hospital but its capabilities are limited. Many sick people with no place to send them. That is why we were seeing Birmingham sending in nurses and doctors being flown in to pick up the NICO babies......specialized care. Just a terrible situation all the way around.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PandorasBox83
Back