Would you breastfeed a puppy to save its life?

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Would you breastfeed a puppy to save it's life?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes I most certainly would. I'd give my breast milk to anyone if it would save their life. I may not let them suckle, but I'd happily express milk for them and be proud I could help.

My cat wasn't even a week old abandoned kitten when I got him.
I've bottle fed two week old motherless kittens previously. But this one ...didn't want the bottle at all! I ran from store to store & I bought every bottle made.
Thankfully he took to one or he would have died.
It's hard to watch something so tiny & helpless refuse nourishment.
I don't blame her one bit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would that be the same loudest cat in the world?

Yes I most certainly would. I'd give my breast milk to anyone if it would save their life. I may not let them suckle, but I'd happily express milk for them and be proud I could help.

I had a nightmare the other night. I dreamt that I was Scarlett Johansson's baby. That wasn't the bad part. The nightmare part was that I was bottlefed. :facepalm: :baby:

yup. I just saw the question - would I do it to save a puppy's life - and I answered yes. I amswered prior to reading the story and all of your replies and now I feel like a freak. lol...

But yeah, to save a puppy's life, I'd do it. Still. (notwithstanding the specific details of this case - access to a vet, etc.)

EVERYTHING, would include seeking help from a vet. In fact, the rest of the population would have done that first. In fact, any time a puppy is take in that SHOULD be the first thing that is done. Not to mention, a 5 second google search would have shown her how to feed the puppy easily.

That's why I said "I don't see it occurring to me or being absolutely necessary, but maybe it was reasonable under the circumstances."

I read the article, but didn't notice whether it said the time of day. Could it have been at night? Sometimes urgent vets are hard to find if you don't use one regularly.

Truthfully, I am not trying to be argumentative. But, LOL...that's so so so not have it's believed dogs became to be companions. At all.

Orphaned wolf-cubs
Studies have shown that some wolf pups taken at an early age and reared by humans are easily tamed and socialized.[15] At least one study has demonstrated that adult wolves can be successfully socialized.[16] However, according to other researchers attempts to socialize wolves after the pups reach 21 days of age are very time-consuming and seldom practical or reliable in achieving success.[17]

Many scientists believe that humans adopted orphaned wolf cubs and nursed them alongside human babies.[18][19] Once these early adoptees started breeding among themselves, a new generation of tame "wolf-like" domestic animals would result which would, over generations of time, become more dog-like.[20]

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_the_domestic_dog

Breast feeding wild dingos

There are mixed accounts on how captive dingoes are treated by native Aboriginal tribes. In 1828, Edmund Lockyer noted that the aboriginals he encountered treated dingo pups with greater affection than their own children, with some women even breastfeeding them. The dogs were allowed to have the best meat and fruit, and could sleep in their master's huts. When misbehaving, the dingoes were merely chastised rather than beaten. This treatment, however, seems to be an exception rather than a general rule. In his observations of Aboriginals living in the Gibson Desert, Richard Gould wrote that although dingoes were treated with great fondness, they were nonetheless kept in poor health, were rarely fed, and were left to fend for themselves. Gould wrote that tame dingoes could be distinguished from free ranging specimens by their more emaciated appearance. He concluded that the main function of dingoes in Aboriginal culture, rather than hunting, was to provide warmth as sleeping companions during the cold nights (Lindsay 2000).
Some Australian Aborigines will routinely capture dingo pups from their dens in the winter months and keep them. Physically handicapped puppies are usually killed and eaten, while healthy ones are raised as hunting companions, assuming they do not run away at the onset of puberty (Lindsay 2000). However, Aboriginal women will prevent a dingo they have become attached to as a companion from escaping by breaking its front legs (Coppinger and Coppinger 2001). A dingo selected for hunting that misbehaves is either driven off or killed (Lindsay 2000). Dingoes may be used for hunting purposes by Aboriginals inhabiting heavily forested regions. Tribes living in Northern Australia track free ranging dingoes in order to find prey. Once the dingoes immobilize an animal, the tribesmen appropriate the carcass and leave the scraps to the dingoes. In desert environments, however, camp dingoes are treated as competitors, and are driven off before the start of a hunting expedition. As Aboriginal hunters rely on stealth and concealment, dingoes are detrimental to hunting success in desert terrains (Lindsay 2000).

https://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Dingo

I have a relative who breast fed an orphan puppy when her baby was old enough to wean and she still had milk. It was no big deal. Nipples are washable and you can't catch anything from the puppy nursing. The puppy is soon old enough to lap from a dish. I don't know if human breast milk would have the right content though for puppy nutrition but its better than the puppy starving to death. I believe the article said the puppy wouldn't drink formula from a bottle. Using an eye dropper would take a long time to feed the puppy and could result in the puppy choking if a person wasn't very careful.

Looks like wet nursing is making a comeback too!

et nursing is a growing industry too, but a mostly invisible one. Emily, like most of the other women interviewed for this article, requested that we leave out her last name. After all, the idea of breastfeeding another woman's child for money makes many uncomfortable. But not Emily, who within a few hours applied and joined the over 1,000 women on Certified Household Staffing's fast-expanding wet nurse registry. Certified Household Staffing is an Los Angeles-based agency that provides for almost every imaginable domestic need. Just over 10 years ago, wet nursing was added to the roster.

http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2012/01/20/the-return-of-wet-nursing/

I am astounded at the number of people who would breast feed a puppy. lol
When we adopted our puppy he was removed from his momma too early. We used droppers and baby bottles. Nursing an animal is to bizarre imo.

I say pfffttt. Going back to my kitty story - her mama was killed by a coyote and was left in a box in front of a market. Animals at that age don't drink from bottles - the nipples are too big. That pup was a lot bigger than my kitten. I called my vet because I couldn't figure out how to feed her. She said you will probably have to force feed her liquids. I know that sounds horrible. But I did take a dropper and slowly dropped water in her mouth, hour after hour (I wasn't in an area that had kitty formula). I did get her to the vet after that.

As long as the puppy isn't dehydrated he can live until you can get him to the vet or even Petco - they have all kinds of supplies for issues like this. A human booby shouldn't be an option (it just gives me the creeps).

She can say she saved his life until all the little puppies come home. If that's what she believes (to justify her decision and subsequent posting her glory on FB) all the power to her.

On her Facebook page, the woman from Colorado, posted a photo of her breastfeeding an orphaned four-day-old puppy and explaining her decision to do so.

MOO

Mel :loveyou:

I am astounded at the number of people who would breast feed a puppy. lol
When we adopted our puppy he was removed from his momma too early. We used droppers and baby bottles.
Nursing an animal is to bizarre iMYoo. But to each his own. ;)

I agree :)

And don't forget when our babies get sick, they sometimes don't want water or food. I've been through that too. It never crossed my mind to put my kitty to my boob to suckle. LOL

MOO

Mel

My son was adopted so I wasn't able to breast feed.

I don't understand the "gross" factor.

If you gave birth on an desert island and was unable to breast feed, but there was a nanny goat...are ya all telling me that you wouldn't allow your infant to suckle?
Same island...if the nanny goat died right after giving birth...you'd watch it's kid starve to death?
Geeesh... Tough crowd.

It sounds like this woman breast fed the pup very short term and it survived. What's all the fuss?

No, I personally would not. But I wouldn't down anyone that did (or has). How often has this happened?

Some people can't afford a $200 vet bill.

I couldn't afford it -- came out of my slush fund. But if I can't afford my 2 fur babies, I shouldn't have them. Nor should anyone else who can't afford a vet bill.

I also went to a low cost clinic who gave me a huge discount for an x-ray and several hours of hydrating/feeding. They wanted to keep her overnight, but I didn't have the money (that was 700.00). I took her home and followed the instructions, and am blessed it worked.

MOO

Mel

Looks like wet nursing is making a comeback too!

et nursing is a growing industry too, but a mostly invisible one. Emily, like most of the other women interviewed for this article, requested that we leave out her last name. After all, the idea of breastfeeding another woman's child for money makes many uncomfortable. But not Emily, who within a few hours applied and joined the over 1,000 women on Certified Household Staffing's fast-expanding wet nurse registry. Certified Household Staffing is an Los Angeles-based agency that provides for almost every imaginable domestic need. Just over 10 years ago, wet nursing was added to the roster.

http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2012/01/20/the-return-of-wet-nursing/

BBM

Is that available to 50 year old men too? :blushing:

I looked at the photos in the original post and it looks like a black dog. Was this a special type of dog from purebred parents that would fetch a lot of money? Why would anyone pick up a dying runt from a litter and make a feeding bond between a human and a dog?

That is wrong on so many levels that it defies common sense.

BBM

Is that available to 50 year old men too? :blushing:

Unfortunately no. It's a practice from Royal Families in the olden day. Perhaps there are alternatives for 50 year old men?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fil
Back