Would you lie in court to save your child? CLOSED FOR REVIEW

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Would you lie to save your child's life?

• Yes

Votes: 100 18.1%
  • No

Votes: 261 47.3%
  • I don't know

Votes: 191 34.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that Casey could have gotten the idea from Cindy's searches. I do hope they can get Cindy's work computer, but if they swap out computers like we do at the hospital I work with, that computer is long gone.

They don't have to get her computer the emails would be on the email server rather than on a desk PC. But it's very questionable that if they do get new evidence that it would be allowed in because of discovery.

First, I have to say, I don't think ANYONE can know FOR POSITIVE what one would do in a real life circumstance with one's own child and the facts being specific to ones family.

This exactly. That's an awful long mile to walk and big shoes to fill to walk it in. My mind can't even begin to go there and experience the pure horror of being in this situation much less how I would actually deal with it even though I do know what I would like to say.

BBM exactly how I feel. If you must lie then you are as good as admitting the truth needs to be hidden. Never a good position to take IMO. Getting caught in the lie would just make the situation worse for everyone.

BBM - how often do accidents get charged as murder, with DP as a possible sentence? Isn't that the main difference between murder and manslaughter? If you believed your child was involved in a horrible accident, why not tell the God's honest truth and believe in our legal system?

IMO when someone lies it is to hide the truth, they lie to spare themselves the embarrassment of their acts or to shrug off responsibility. Not to cover up an accident. Just like they don't sit in jail for three years when a child accidentally drowns. Cindy taking the stand for ICA today hurt my heart, she should take off that picture she was wearing and give it to Jeff.

BTW I voted "No." I could not lie for any of my children. No matter what the consequences. I don't believe a parent testifying honestly will put a needle in their child's arm - the penalty is a direct cause and effect of the purp brutally murdering their grandchild. No matter happens, CA and GA are not responsible for where or how ICA ends up.

WOW, how eloquently put. I teared up as I read this. I say this because I had answered yes, I would lie for my child. I know I would because I would blame myself for how my child turned out. I would be running over and over in my mind, every mistake I had ever made, every sign I had missed and everything I could've and should've done. I can only hope and pray, I am never faced with ANY situation where my child is in trouble and I would have to find out exactly what I would do. Thanks for your words.

no way and my older kids know that if they commit a crime they will have to face up to it, I will still love no matter what ICA should have took a plea and there would be no dp to save her from

ETA I still believe there was a blow up and the fight wasn't over theft Caylee told Cindy something about ICA and that is why Cindy does what she does IMO

Are you implying that those of us who refuse to lie for our children are NOT "real" parents??? Because I certainly am a real parent, and I would not protect my child at any cost!!!

No, I am not implying that at all and I 'm sorry it came across that way. What I was implying there was CINDY unlike CASEY is a real parent, wanting to protect her, regardless of the fact that she just murdered her only grandchild.

I DO stand behind my statement,however, that I don't know 100% what I would do until put in that position and I highly doubt that ANYONE can say with absolute certainty that they know until that time comes. It is easy to sit back and say what you would or wouldn't until put in that position...which I seriously hope never happens to anyone here.

This is such a foreign topic to most people... as the crime, behavior, etc. is foreign to most of us. I honestly want to say no, I wouldn't lie. But it's my child, my flesh and blood, who would be facing the death penalty. So I would probably lie, cheat, steal to protect my child, regardless of what she/he had done... it's a natural maternal instinct to protect and shield our children from pain and harm.

As I always say to my children, "I'll always love you, no matter what you do. I won't love your actions or decisions... but you, I'll always love."

Strange... Cindy will stop at nothing to deflect the DP away from Casey, yet Casey, IMHO, couldn't wait to shred the responsibilities of motherhood.

I'm thankful that I am not in Cindy's shoes... and I will never judge her for her choices.

I love my children... I would lay down and die for them, but I hope that I'm using these years as thy grow to TEACH them the difference between right and wrong. Even though they are 13, 9, and 6 I am teaching them that actions have consequences.

That being said.. When my oldest was little and it was still CourtTv I remember the case where the little girl went missing and the neighborhood began searching for her. A boy in the neighborhood had killed her and stuffed her body under his waterbed. His parents smelled something and alerted LE. I remember thinking how HARD that must have been for those parents to turn their child in... they could have tried to cover it up, but they did the right thing, the HONEST thing, and I HOPE that I'd have enough courage to do that if it ever came to my kids

I know I wouldnt. Let me tell you a story.

My ex was born into a very well to do family. All his life his parents covered for him. He started stealing for fun at age 10. By the time he was 12 he was in a boys home cause he was skipping school and God only knows what else. he was released 8 months later and still acted bad. By the time he was 18 he went to prison for the first time for selling drugs. He didnt have to sell drugs!!! He did it cause thats the friends he hung out with and he loved that lifestyle. His parents paid for lawyers and he was out in about 18 months. All his life his parents were setting him up to fail. He meets me when he is 20. We fall in love. My ex was a drug dealer, home invasion robber and stick up man. He gets caught and off to prison for 16 years. He was 22 at the time. Its been 8 years. No one, not even me, put their foot down with him. He was charming and the sweetest guy, just had a wild streak. His parents STILL send him money in jail and support him.

I agree that most people havent been in this position and I have. I also have many criminals in my family and all of them know if you commit a crime that hurts others I'm snitching. Selling some weed, o.k. no biggie. beating, robbing and/or killing. Thats it, nope. Dont tell me about it.

How many times have we seen cases where people know their child is unstable, criminal, dangerous etc and they stand by and do nothing? How many times do kids get murdered, raped, beaten etc by some psycho and the parents lie and deny? How could anyone lie for their child is beyond me. Its hypocritical to be a victims advocate when your own child is victimizing others. How can anyone ask for justice when they won't seek it within their own family??? So if some stranger kidnaps and murders your child you want them in jail or the death penalty right? But if its your kid doing the murdering and kidnapping you will lie so they can go free cause you love him?? I cannot even fathom that!!! Thats insane. IMO it has nothing to do with maternal instinct. Fathers do it too. I think some people deep inside feel guilty or that they have failed their child if they commit a terrible crime. Which is not true at all. Some parents also fail to see their grown up children as real adults instead of little children. Or if they dont defend their kid then they dont love him/her. Not true either. I love my son. Just as God loves all of humanity he still doesnt reward the ones doing evil.

I will not lie for my child. He should face whatever punishment he deserves. thats what's wrong with America these days. No one wants to take responsibility for their actions. I would never get up on the stand and lie for my son. That would betray everything about me and everything I will teach him about life. Especially murdering my grandchild!! He'd better run and hope he is locked up.

I love my children... I would lay down and die for them, but I hope that I'm using these years as thy grow to TEACH them the difference between right and wrong. Even though they are 13, 9, and 6 I am teaching them that actions have consequences.

That being said.. When my oldest was little and it was still CourtTv I remember the case where the little girl went missing and the neighborhood began searching for her. A boy in the neighborhood had killed her and stuffed her body under his waterbed. His parents smelled something and alerted LE. I remember thinking how HARD that must have been for those parents to turn their child in... they could have tried to cover it up, but they did the right thing, the HONEST thing, and I HOPE that I'd have enough courage to do that if it ever came to my kids

I remember that case and I agree with you, it would be so hard but you have to do it. If your child is a continual threat to others, you have no choice. Part of your job as a parent is to protect society from your child if your child is a continuing threat of severe crimes reoccurring. What the Anthony's are dealing with is such a gray, gray area, there is no black and white.

MOO

I think it's a matter of character, and I also think people with character are a dying breed.

If a person practices as much as they preach, then I believe that person can say and know what they would do if put into a situation like this.

If my daughter killed her 2 year old daughter, I would not lie for her. I would have been begging and pleading with her to turn herself in, to tell the truth, etc., but if it came to the point this case has come to, I would not get on the stand and lie to help my daughter avoid the death penalty.

As a side note, I notice Cindy is willing to lie about certain things, but not others. IMO, it would be much more helpful to ICA's case for Cindy to say she might have forgotten to take the ladder down on the pool on June 15th, but she's not going there. IMO, to Cindy, this is WAY more about Cindy than about getting ICA off or avoiding the DP.

I agree sarah except I dont think the Anthony's are in a gray area. Their daughter not only is accused of murdering their granddaughter but she is also accusing her dad and brother of molesting her.

Now as a parent there are 2 directions:

1. The molestation is true and the parents are suffering guilt.

2. Casey is lying. So if the parents know she is lying then its even more curious as to why they would try to save her from the death penalty. I figure if my child could accuse me or a sibling of molestation and its a lie then they are pretty much suspect in my eyes. Once you cross that line of sexual abuse you can effect someones life for many years to come. This is a high profile case. What loving child does that? And what parent couldnt help but feel that your child is a cold blooded, pathological liar who is capable of anything. You have to ask yourself: Do you love your child more than he/she loves you? If so, thats a bad place to be.

Amen Lanie! Amen. It's a matter of character. You cannot preach justice, but waiver or refuse to swallow the bitter pill yourself. Sometimes life smacks you in the head.

I know one thing I wouldn't do. I would not lie to protect my child, knowing that it was going to result in the ruination of an innocent person's reputation and/or result in an innocent person taking the blame and going to prison.

Period.

No matter how many ways I try and spell chlorophyll google never comes up with the suggestion of chloroform. And who in the world remembers what they searched for and wehn from 3 years ago? I can't remember half the time when I change windows.

Well, I have 10 year old daughter, but she lives with her aunt & uncle and I have her two days a week.. so that may colour my perspective. I would say that NO, I would not lie in a court of law. I'd tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Another thing that may make me biased, however, is that my daughter is already showing signs of psychopathy (IMO & according to her psychiatrist) and I don't know what the future may hold for her and I.

It's good to see all the honesty in this thread. None of us really know how we would react in a given unfathomable situation.
People have scrubles, morals, convitions, inner guide posts & we all hope to do the correct thing in a crisis.
I've tried to put myself in these peoples position but simply can't conjure up the magnitude of their expierience.
Watching Cindy Anthony lie audaciously over & over yesterday gave me an overwhelming sensation of disgust. I still have it. I know that's because I try to be truthful myself in all things, big AND small. Sooooo ... I start thinking oh I could never do what she just did. Then I think about, God forbid, my son facing the DP & I'm think maybe I could lie. So even after sleeping on this question I still don't know.

I've been trying to dig deep to find reasons I COULD lie in this situation & I can only think of 2:
1) if I was truely in doubt of guilt of this henious deed
2) some circumstance that caused my child to become a monster & therefore I felt the need to protect him

Then I start thinking about #2 & it has me wondering if there could be some truth in the acusations Baez made & that's why CA has done this.

Then I think damn this case is crazy & this family is effed up & I don't care what happens to any of them as long as it's nothing good.

I've decided I'm thinking too much about all this & it's best to bring it back to square one; there's a dead child, obviously murdered, dumped like garbage & Casey Anthony needs to die. If people have perjured themselves in this case they need to be charged & punished to the full extent of the law.

I was so glad to see this thread because I have been thinking about it since the beginning and I have went both ways on this issue. First, I have to say, I don't think ANYONE can know FOR POSITIVE what one would do in a real life circumstance with one's own child and the facts being specific to ones family.

However, I truly put MY child in this case and tried to really feel what it would be like. And I can say with some confidence, as horrible as it is, I may lie to save my child and bring her/him home! (don't throw rocks at me) Just the thought of her rotting in prison would kill me.And being the type of person I am, I would believe oh, I can get her help. I could fix her, as unrealistic as that may be.

Also, I do allow for the fact, that I don't have a grandchild. So, I don't know how that feels to personally compare. I suspect if I had a grandchild who I loved just as dearly as my child and my child murdered her/him, I may feel completely different. I think that may make a huge difference.

I'm going to go back through the thread and read if anyone has a child and a grandchild to see what they feel.

But ya know, as far as ICA, she is the ONLY one who knows what happened. So, if she TRULY wants to save herself, SHE COULD! She wouldn't need anyone else to lie for her. She could simply tell the TRUTH and make a deal to NOT get the DP. So, IMO, she is doing this absolutely 100% HERSELF, if she does get the DP for not telling the whole truth and what happened.

No, I am not implying that at all and I 'm sorry it came across that way. What I was implying there was CINDY unlike CASEY is a real parent, wanting to protect her, regardless of the fact that she just murdered her only grandchild.

I DO stand behind my statement,however, that I don't know 100% what I would do until put in that position and I highly doubt that ANYONE can say with absolute certainty that they know until that time comes. It is easy to sit back and say what you would or wouldn't until put in that position...which I seriously hope never happens to anyone here.
BBM.:hand: Grandchild or not, I CAN say with 100% certainty that I will NEVER lie to save my child, even if it means the Death Penalty, if she does the crime, she will do the time.

Well, I have 10 year old daughter, but she lives with her aunt & uncle and I have her two days a week.. so that may colour my perspective. I would say that NO, I would not lie in a court of law. I'd tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Another thing that may make me biased, however, is that my daughter is already showing signs of psychopathy (IMO & according to her psychiatrist) and I don't know what the future may hold for her and I.

I am so sorry for you and your daughter. I don't know much about psychopathy, but I hope that recognizing it in a child so young and getting help will give her a better future.

I know I wouldnt. Let me tell you a story.

How many times have we seen cases where people know their child is unstable, criminal, dangerous etc and they stand by and do nothing? How many times do kids get murdered, raped, beaten etc by some psycho and the parents lie and deny? How could anyone lie for their child is beyond me. Its hypocritical to be a victims advocate when your own child is victimizing others. How can anyone ask for justice when they won't seek it within their own family??? So if some stranger kidnaps and murders your child you want them in jail or the death penalty right? But if its your kid doing the murdering and kidnapping you will lie so they can go free cause you love him?? I cannot even fathom that!!! Thats insane. IMO it has nothing to do with maternal instinct. Fathers do it too. I think some people deep inside feel guilty or that they have failed their child if they commit a terrible crime. Which is not true at all. Some parents also fail to see their grown up children as real adults instead of little children. Or if they dont defend their kid then they dont love him/her. Not true either. I love my son. Just as God loves all of humanity he still doesnt reward the ones doing evil.

I will not lie for my child. He should face whatever punishment he deserves. thats what's wrong with America these days. No one wants to take responsibility for their actions. I would never get up on the stand and lie for my son. That would betray everything about me and everything I will teach him about life. Especially murdering my grandchild!! He'd better run and hope he is locked up.
:clap::clap::clap: Well-said! I so agree with you!

Just to CLARIFY. I would not lie to get my child ACQUITTED. I would only lie to save their life. If they did something as horrible as this, they would need to spend the rest o their life in prison.

No, I wouldn't. No one person is worth more than any other. If I lied for my child to cover up the fact that he or she had trampled on another person's rights, that would go against my core values. To me it shows incredible arrogance and egocentricity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FormerSoldier