Wrongful Death Suit filed Nov. 13, 2013 in California, #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This thread is titled Wrongful Death Suit filed November 13. Rebecca and her family are the victims outlined in this suit. Dina, Nina and Adam are defendants accused of conspiring and murdering Rebecca. Regardless of any one persons particular beliefs, the suit is what the thread is about, and Rebecca and her family are the alleged victims in this suit.

And the Shacknais and Romanos were cleared of any involvement by Law Enforcement. And they are INNOCENT until PROVEN GUILTY in this Civil trial. They will not be PROVEN GUILTY for something they did not do.

I think there's a saying about this:

"who are you gonna believe??? Me, or your lying eyes???"

:thinking:

IMO, I never did believe that Rebecca hung herself. Just can't wrap my brain around how she could possibly do it. It wouldn't be the first time that LE got it wrong. I can fully understand why her family is pursuing her death in civil court. I hope they receive some amount of comfort in a guilty verdict.

I make a little circle and line map to figure out what is at the root ...

each person a circle and each line a link.

*Lawyerly Saying: Lie, deny & obfuscate. Lawyerly Saying: Nobody talks, everybody walks. Criminal Saying: If there are two witnesses, one has to die.

Anyway, Merry Christmas, all. I'm done posting :)

I think there's a saying about this:

"who are you gonna believe??? Me, or your lying eyes???"

:thinking:

If you want to believe in something when there is ABSOLUTELY NO EVIDENCE that it happened, but there is OVERWHELMING PHYSICAL EVIDENCE to prove the OPPOSITE happened, that is your prerogative.

If you want to believe in something when there is ABSOLUTELY NO EVIDENCE that it happened, but there is OVERWHELMING PHYSICAL EVIDENCE to prove the OPPOSITE happened, that is your prerogative.
Well, thank you for pointing that out. And here I was feeling all guilty for believing what I do.

:newyear:

Happy New Year!

So glad that we are now in 2016, and soon the Shacknais and Romanos can no longer be tormented and lied about by the Zahau family.

The case will be thrown out for lack of evidence (make that NO evidence) next month. Then JUSTICE will finally be here!

:fireworks:

So Dina accusing Rebecca and/or XZ of harming Max, isn't that disagreeing with LE's theory? It is also the same, accusing innocent people with no proof. GMAB!

So Dina accusing Rebecca and/or XZ of harming Max, isn't that disagreeing with LE's theory? It is also the same, accusing innocent people with no proof. GMAB!

One BIG difference - Max's death was never investigated as a murder and the key player, Rebecca Zahau, committed suicide less than 40 hours after his injuries, rather than face more questions by Detectives and Child Protective Services.

^ Rebecca Zahau is not a murder victim (her death was a suicide), and there is not going to be a trial.

It is not Dina asking the questions, it is Dina's very asute lawyer. So you are mistaken about who is responsible for the questions - all of which are relevant to the case, IMO.

OJ lost the civil trial because the physical evidence against him was overwhelming. It had nothing to do with his behavior. There is no physical evidence that places Dina, Nina, or Adam in the courtyard or balcony room becuase they were not there. Only Rebecca was there. She committed suicide, as proved by LE.

The Zahaus have no evidence because their allegations are made up and concocted to try to bilk $10 million dollars out of innocent people.

Is that why everyone is so upset that Dina's lawyer is asking about the evidence?

Exactly, LuckyLucy2.

The Goldman/Browns were successful against Simpson in civil court b/c he was indicted and tried in criminal court first, providing them with tangible facts and evidence to prove Wrongful Death.

The Zahaus don't have anything to support their claims.

How can the Zahaus afford such weighty billings when they only raised a little over $5000 in their very unpopular and unsupported effort to raise funds for the Civil case of on Indigogo? That did not even pay for their slickly produced soft-focus film made to elicit sympathy for their cause of taking innocent people to court in a case that is ruled a suicide..

That was quite the flop. Mary wanted to raise $1,000,000 to hire more Cyril Wecht types to cast doubt on the manner and circumstances of RZ's death even though SDCSO, CPD, FBI, CA AG Office and JS's PI looked at the evidence and determined RZ alone hanged herself. The official COD remains the same in spite of the exhumation, and the case was has been officially closed for years.

Happy New Year!

So glad that we are now in 2016, and soon the Shacknais and Romanos can no longer be tormented and lied about by the Zahau family.

The case will be thrown out for lack of evidence (make that NO evidence) next month. Then JUSTICE will finally be here!

LuckyLucy2, I wish I could share your optimism about the "thrown out next month" part.

However, the San Diego County Superior Court has thus far, indulged every whim of Mrs. Mary Suii Hoecker/Loehner.

They've given her every break possible and appear to be keen on having this play out to the end, a jury trial.

I agree that Judge Bacall has given MLZ more than a fair shake in this, however, before that Zahaus were given the opportunity to file an EIGHTH iteration of the WDS, she WARNED them that they would need to have EVIDENCE in order for the case to go further.

Of course, MZL did not HAVE any evidence since it is all made up from the imaginations of her and her followers, so only a few words were changed in the final version of the EIGHTH iteration submitted. NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER.

burke_dennings, read the incredible Demurrers and Motion to Dismiss submitted by Dina, Nina, and Adam's lawyers that will be heard by the Judge next month. This case will be dismissed. I just hope the Zahaus have to pay court costs for the defendants.

Yes, LuckyLucky2, Adam's Demurrer was especially brilliant, cutting to the chase:

ESSENTIAL ARGUMENTS OF ADAM'S DEMURRER HIGHLIGHTED BY YOURS TRULY, burke_dennings:

After two years, during which Plaintiffs’ counsel have filed eight separate iterations of their complaint in federal and state court, the allegations before this Court remain insufficient and, therefore, the demurrer should be sustained without leave to amend and the case should be dismissed with prejudice.

As explained in previous briefing, Rebecca Zahau’s tragic death was, after a thorough investigation by law enforcement, determined to be a suicide. Unable to accept this conclusion, Plaintiffs’ counsel filed parallel federal and state cases with nothing more than threadbare allegations that three individuals conspired to murder her. Yet after four years of investigation and four sets of counsel, the only allegation connecting Defendant Adam Shacknai to the purported conspiracy is based on a “belief” held by the Plaintiffs. Where an allegation is based on nothing more than a “belief,” it is black-letter law that the allegation must be accompanied by allegations setting forth facts upon which the belief is founded. Gomes v.Countrywide Home Loans, Inc. 192 Cal. App. 4th 1149, 1159 (2011). The Second Amended Complaint, however, fails to make any such allegations.

After eight attempts to state a claim against Mr. Shacknai, enough is enough. This demurrer should be sustained, and this time, sustained without leave to amend.

IV. ARGUMENT

A. No Factual Basis Is Set Forth for the Allegations Against Mr. Shacknai.

As the Court explained in its May 1 order: “Allegations based on information and belief must set forth facts upon which the belief is founded. Gomes v. Countrywide Home Loans, Inc. (2011) 192 Cal. App. 4th 1149, 1159; Dowling v. Spring Val. Water Co. (1917) 174 Cal. 218, 221.” Order at 4. Rader Decl. Ex. M at 4. Indeed, Gomes makes clear that “[a] pleading made on information and belief is insufficient if it merely asserts the facts so alleged without alleging such information that leads the plaintiff to believe that the allegations are true.” Id., 192 Cal. App. 4th at 1158.

Under this standard, the SAC is insufficient. Like the FAC, the allegations that connect Mr. Shacknai to the purported conspiracy remain unchanged—they are alleged only on information and belief. That is, the FAC alleges nothing more than: “Plaintiffs believe that at this time, ADAM, who . . . was sleeping in the guest house at the residence, was awakened by the commotion and came to the scene.” FAC ¶ 21 (emphasis added). Although the SAC has certain additional allegations as to the other defendants, there are none with respect to Mr. Shacknai. Rather, the SAC simply recycles the same sentence from the FAC, which this Court already has found insufficient: “Plaintiffs believe that at this time, ADAM, who . . . was sleeping in the guest house at the residence, was awakened by the commotion and came to the scene.” SAC ¶ 22 (emphasis added). Simply, the SAC utterly fails to allege any information that leads Plaintiffs (or their counsel) to believe this allegation is true. Therefore, Mr. Shacknai’s demurrer should be granted.[\B]

C. The Court Should Dismiss the Claims Against Mr. Shacknai With Prejudice.

The allegations of the SAC—which, between the various complaints submitted to this Court and in federal court, are in their eighth iteration—accuse Mr. Shacknai of a heinous crime. Yet after these myriad iterations, and after being directed by this Court to plead the facts that lead Plaintiffs and their counsel to include the allegations made on information and belief, the only allegation that supposedly connects Mr. Shacknai to the purported conspiracy has no factual basis.The SAC merely recites the same unsupported “belief” allegation from the defective prior complaint: “Plaintiffs believe that at this time, ADAM, who . . . was sleeping in the guest house at the, was awakened by the commotion and came to the scene.” SAC ¶ 22 (emphasis added).

Not only is responding to the various iterations of the complaint taking their toll on the defendants, so are the media reports. For example, on the same day as the August 1, 2014 CMC—at which the parties agreed the Plaintiffs would file an amended complaint before this Court—an article dappeared stating: “Attorneys for both sides will be back in court next January [i.e., January 2015] to set a trial date.” Rader Decl. Ex. O. The article quoted Plaintiffs’ counsel extensively, including with respect to the allegations as to Mr. Shacknai. Id. Most recently, approximately a week after the Court ordered Plaintiffs’ counsel to re-plead the complaint, yet another article appeared about this case. Plaintiffs’ counsel “told NBC7 there is now a piece of evidence he thinks could be the key to this mysterious case: an audio recording of investigators interviewing a woman who was near the Spreckels Mansion before Zahau's body was discovered.” Id. Ex. P. It is unclear why this merited the coverage it received. Four years ago, Plaintiffs’ then-counsel was brandishing this exact information as “new compelling evidence” in support of her contention that the Decedent was murdered. Id. Ex. Q.

After eight iterations of the complaint spanning nearly two years in both federal and state court, Plaintiffs’ counsel have alleged nothing more than they “believe” Mr. Shacknai joined the purported conspiracy. At this point, the only conclusion to be drawn is that they have alleged nothing more because they cannot. As a matter of law, that a plaintiff “believes” someone committed a wrong is not enough to require someone to stand trial. Therefore, the SAC should be dismissed with prejudice.

V. CONCLUSION

After four years of investigation, four sets of counsel, and eight iterations of the complaint, Plaintiffs’ counsel have been unable to come forward with any allegation for including Mr. Shacknai as a defendant in this case other than a belief for which they have no factual basis. Therefore, the Complaint and each of its causes of action should be dismissed as to Mr. Shacknai, and dismissed with prejudice.

Dated: June 1, 2015 WINSTON & STRAWN LLP

I agree that Judge Bacall has given MLZ more than a fair shake in this, however, before that Zahaus were given the opportunity to file an EIGHTH iteration of the WDS, she WARNED them that they would need to have EVIDENCE in order for the case to go further.

Of course, MZL did not HAVE any evidence since it is all made up from the imaginations of her and her followers, so only a few words were changed in the final version of the EIGHTH iteration submitted. NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER.

burke_dennings, read the incredible Demurrers and Motion to Dismiss submitted by Dina, Nina, and Adam's lawyers that will be heard by the Judge next month. This case will be dismissed. I just hope the Zahaus have to pay court costs for the defendants.

It's the BBM part that sticks in my craw.

Enough is enough.

The TELL of all this is the fact that their case against the County of San Diego, the entity responsible for investigating Becky's death and ruling it suicide, was dismissed with prejudice.

MZHL and her team know they have nothing, they're just hoping against hope to get the WDS in front of an impressionable jury that will buy their story that Becky was murdered by her millionaire boyfriend's ex-wife in an act of vengeance, as Greer puts it:

Greer said Zahau's death boils down to one word -- vengeance.

"That anger and need for vengeance, we think, fueled this whole thing into a confrontation that eventually escalated into murder," Greer said.

"And the way it was done was some way that I don't think any jury looking at this will say that it was a suicide."

http://www.10news.com/news/hearing-friday-in-zahau-10m-wrongful-death-suit

You know, in an odd way Greer is right about that. Rebecca's death WAS all about VENGENCE - HER vengeance against Jonah.

And Mary Suii Zahau Hoecker Loehner rests her laurels on the mantra........

"My sister would still be alive if Max wasn't injured"

Exactly, Mary.

Becky wouldn't have cowardly committed suicide to evade interrogation about those fatal injuries.

Exactly. And little Maxie would still be alive if Jonah never laid eyes on Rebecca. That's my opinion.
Nothing but sadness for everyone involved.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmccastor
Back