Wrongful Death Suit filed Nov. 13, 2013 in California, #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I agree completely with this, Imp. Playing up "sympathy" is a double edged sword for Dina, IMO. The more she accentuates her grief, and compulsion to blame Rebecca and her sister, with her idea that they are responsible for Max's accident, the more she appears to be a hateful, vindictive ex-wife bent on obsessive revenge. And the easier it becomes to understand the motive for murder that the Zahau lawsuit has alleged. I think the defendants will spend the next year or so trying to figure out how to settle this thing to avoid testifying in open court. It will be a heavily publicized trial, IMO.

BBM. Does anyone besides me feel the Zahaus have no interest in settling for a $ amount and going away quietly? Seems to me Rebecca's family's hope is to disprove the notion that she committed suicide, while simultaneously receiving an admission of guilt from the perpetrator(s).

I've never thought they were in this for money, or a quiet off-the-record financial settlement. They want the suicide ruling reversed (at least in the court of public opinion, if not the official record), and they want the person or persons who murdered her brought to justice, hopefully right alongside Gore and all the other LE agencies who "investigated" Rebecca's death.

Dina has actually spoken and given interviews about her whereabouts during the time of Rebecca's death. Most recently, one year ago:

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...hau-Coronado-Spreckels-Mansion-291021201.html
"Frankly it's in my interest to find out what happened to her as well because I know for a fact who was not there. I was not there and neither was my sister," she told NBC 7
Well, she has got herself into a bit of a pickle with that public statement, as Nina herself admitted to being at the Mansion around 10:30, and Dina has been identified at the mansion by an impartial eyewitness with no "skin in the game" (the bicycle family). All that has been included in recent court filings by the plaintiffs.

Dina also put out this statement a few months ago:

“Nina and I have recently started to receive the documents related to Rebecca's death from the COPD and SDSD. However, although there were at least seven DOJ agents involved at the scene, we still have no files from the Department of Justice, nor the Border Patrol agents (under the auspice of the Federal Department of Homeland Security), so we have yet to review the complete file. However, regardless of our lack of complete information thus far, I could not comment on Mr. Greer's statement as I was with my son Maxie at Rady’s Hospital in Pediatric Intensive Care, praying for his recovery, and watching him fight for his life, trying to breathe on his own while on a ventilator.”

“It would be impossible for me to hear any disturbances at Jonah's home as I was with our son alone at a hospital miles away. As well, my sister, Nina was with her son, and our close friend, none of whom heard a disturbance as they were five blocks from Jonah's house on Ocean Blvd. My sister and I would again publicly like to extend, for the fourth time since 2012, our offer to share all of the information we have with the Zahau’s and ask that they reciprocate. Perhaps an exchange of accurate data could help both families find answers, healing, and resolution.”

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...u-Spreckels-Mansion-2011-Death-303178091.html

BBM. So, Dina has made lots of claims about where she was, but the best official statements and EVIDENCE for her whereabouts, to this point in time, are from the LE press conference that they did NOT have DS on any surveillance video from Rady's during the relevant time period, and that because of that, they had to resort to cell phone triangulation. That put her cell phone "in the vicinity" of Rady's. Obviously, there will have to be much more exploration of that as evidence that will be accepted by a jury. A cell phone is not a person, and there are a lot of towers in that area. They have much more about the location of the phone, and activity on the phone, that has not been released to the public, IMO.

To date, no witnesses have come forward publicly to substantiate Dina's statements that she was at Max's bedside, nor has Dina produced any real evidence that she was there, beyond her own statements.

I hope these statements by Dina will be put up on a video screen, or on large placards, in the courtroom during the trial.

The statement above is particularly ridiculous in it's "too much" detail, IMO. It's common for someone lying to add in all sorts of justifications and extraneous details to bolster the lie.

BBM. Does anyone besides me feel the Zahaus have no interest in settling for a $ amount and going away quietly? Seems to me Rebecca's family's hope is to disprove the notion that she committed suicide, while simultaneously receiving an admission of guilt from the perpetrator(s).

I've never thought they were in this for money, or a quiet off-the-record financial settlement. They want the suicide ruling reversed (at least in the court of public opinion, if not the official record), and they want the person or persons who murdered her brought to justice, hopefully right alongside Gore and all the other LE agencies who "investigated" Rebecca's death.

I've never thought the Z's were in it for the $$ only.

I think they want the *glaring* hot southern California sunshine (that Rebecca laid in for 13+ hours nude and dead, while news helicopters and neighborhood people gawked and took pictures of her) shone on all of the ineptness of the investigation, confirmation bias, and circumstances of her murder. I think they want the guilty to have that California sunshine *glaring* down on them, permanently. And publicly. JMO.

I think the Z's want to know, as much as possible, what exactly happened to Rebecca. Isn't that what any loving and heartsick and angry family would want? I would certainly fight for that for my sister, in similar circumstances.

I don't think the defendants will ever escape the controversy over their involvement in Rebecca's death/ murder, no matter what happens with the WDS. I do hope the case is re-opened at some point, and murder charges are filed. But I'm also a realist, and know that it's likely that will never happen. So, this WDS is the family's best shot at some kind of justice for Rebecca. IMO.

Personally, I don't feel the Zahau's are interested in a settlement. I think the statement from their attorney Greer says a lot about their intentions. They want to know what happened to their sister, facts, etc...A settlement isn't likely to bring them the closure they seek, imo.

They want closure. They really want closure. They want all the facts...they really want to know what happened to their sister," Keith Greer, the Zahau family attorney told NBC 7.

Source: http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...ill-Go-to-Trial--371756572.html#ixzz42iLjpvUg

Yes, and even if the Zahau's "win" a $10 million settlement, I doubt they'd ever see a penny of it. Two of the defendants have very little means, and Dina's wealth from the divorce settlements, for the most part, is tied up in things like a trust and property, and not liquid. Her umbrella policy is paying her attorney bills, IMO. Her policy may, or may not cover any settlement costs, depending on what she negotiated when the policy was purchased.

And the defendants would appeal the ruling for years and years if/ when found guilty, IMO.

So no, I doubt the Z's are in it for the money.

Dina and Adam Shacknai and Nino Romano will never settle a case for a murder they did not commit.

I hope it goes to court at this point, too. Just so everyone can see how ludicris the Zahaus' claims are, and to see how much the Judge fines them for bringing such a false case to the court.

I have to comment what a pleasure it is to have an ongoing discussion on here without the argumentative disruptive few who were sure this case would be thrown out in February:happydance:.

ETA: OOPS, a post too late!

BBM

So I've read a lot of forums and threads on this case. Let me get this straight.

People think she was murdered because of her possible role in Max's accident.

People think she killed herself because of her possible role in Max's accident.

So either way she died as a result of Max's accident that she may or may not have had a role in.

But they are suing the family for wrongful death because they think the family killed her?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to clarify, People think she was murdered because of her possible role in Max's accident. , is not the case. Most well-read people know Rebecca did not even see how Max was injured, hence having no role in his accident.

Most people believe Rebecca was murdered because of Dina's rage (directed at Rebecca). JMO.

BBM

Just to clarify, People think she was murdered because of her possible role in Max's accident. , is not the case. Most well-read people know Rebecca did not even see how Max was injured, hence having no role in his accident.

Most people believe Rebecca was murdered because of Dina's rage (directed at Rebecca). JMO.

Why do you only want to believe one story and not the other..Max's death was an accident. we are supposed to believe that but not that Rebecca killed herself, that is kind of selective reasoning. And if Dina had Rage at Rebecca I'm thinking it most certainly had to do with Max. Which if it were my son I would too.
Why would all the LE officers all come to the conclusion that Rebecca killed herself? Just asking. They had no skin in the game right? They were just doing their jobs. It would take a collaborative effort for all of them to agree on this. Just wondering why they would do that if in fact she was murdered?

Yes, and even if the Zahau's "win" a $10 million settlement, I doubt they'd ever see a penny of it. Two of the defendants have very little means, and Dina's wealth from the divorce settlements, for the most part, is tied up in things like a trust and property, and not liquid. Her umbrella policy is paying her attorney bills, IMO. Her policy may, or may not cover any settlement costs, depending on what she negotiated when the policy was purchased.

And the defendants would appeal the ruling for years and years if/ when found guilty, IMO.

So no, I doubt the Z's are in it for the money.

BBM - Agreed...We already have an example, Dina Shacknai is appealing the Zahau Federal Suit that was dismissed. Dina has until the 30th of this month to submit her opening brief.

Streamlined request [7] by Appellant Dina Shacknai to extend time to file the brief is approved. Amended briefing schedule: Appellant Dina Shacknai opening brief due 03/30/2016. Appellees Estate of Rebecca Zahau, Estate of Robert Zahau, Pari Z. Zahau and Mary Zahau-Leohner answering brief due 04/29/2016. The optional reply brief is due 14 days from the date of service of the answering brief. [9859969] (JN) [Entered: 02/09/2016 02:51 PM]

3:13-cv-01624-W-NLS

https://www.pacer.gov

Why do you only want to believe one story and not the other..Max's death was an accident. we are supposed to believe that but not that Rebecca killed herself, that is kind of selective reasoning. And if Dina had Rage at Rebecca I'm thinking it most certainly had to do with Max. Which if it were my son I would too.
Why would all the LE officers all come to the conclusion that Rebecca killed herself? Just asking. They had no skin in the game right? They were just doing their jobs. It would take a collaborative effort for all of them to agree on this. Just wondering why they would do that if in fact she was murdered?

Exactly, SweetT. It is ludicris to believe four agencies, 15 detectives, and dozens of crime lab personnel covered up a murder or were all paid off.

Even is Max's accident did not involve Rebecca or her sister, she still made herself look guilty by changing her story numerous times, boarding her dog, sending XZ home the very next day without notifying the detectives working Max's case, not answering the questions Jonah, Dina, and Nina had, and then committing suicide just 40 hours after his fatal injuries.

And whether or not Rebecca or her sister were responsible, she was the adult that was in charge at the time.

I've been saying the same thing for years...why can't each side see the other side?

In my opinion, there may have been some coverup that started with Maxie's death. I'm not certain anything nefarious happened with Max, but I do question if maybe Jonah fearing a liability lawsuit from Dina, called in a favor to his buddy's Gore and Pfinghst? Just speculation, but so much has been brought up about inconsistencies in that morning timeline. Imo, if there was a coverup, it was all on Jonah and not RZ. Is it not possible the coverup started with Max, not expecting RZ to be murdered and the coverup rolled over into RZ's investigation? Is that not feasible?

Exactly, SweetT. It is ludicris to believe four agencies, 15 detectives, and dozens of crime lab personnel covered up a murder or were all paid off.

Even is Max's accident did not involve Rebecca or her sister, she still made herself look guilty by changing her story numerous times, boarding her dog, sending XZ home the very next day without notifying the detectives working Max's case, not answering the questions Jonah, Dina, and Nina had, and then committing suicide just 40 hours after his fatal injuries.

And whether or not Rebecca or her sister were responsible, she was the adult that was in charge at the time.

Rebecca ' s story didn't change. There's nothing suspicious about boarding her dog and sending her sister home after the accident was a normal decision most people would have made during a serious medical crisis. It's also possible RZ was thinking of her own sister's safety.

This is interesting. The page view stats of Rebecca's wikipedia page-- the same page that editors will not permit any documentation of the ongoing WDS. Note the huge spike in page views yesterday. Nearly a 5-fold increase in page views!

https://tools.wmflabs.org/pageviews...ccess&agent=user&pages=Death_of_Rebecca_Zahau

This is the last 90 days. Note the other recent spike in views on 2/19/16-- the day of Greer's news interview.

https://tools.wmflabs.org/pageviews...ccess&agent=user&pages=Death_of_Rebecca_Zahau

I've been saying the same thing for years...why can't each side see the other side?

In my opinion, there may have been some coverup that started with Maxie's death. I'm not certain anything nefarious happened with Max, but I do question if maybe Jonah fearing a liability lawsuit from Dina, called in a favor to his buddy's Gore and Pfinghst? Just speculation, but so much has been brought up about inconsistencies in that morning timeline. Imo, if there was a coverup, it was all on Jonah and not RZ. Is it not possible the coverup started with Max, not expecting RZ to be murdered and the coverup rolled over into RZ's investigation? Is that not feasible?

I do suppose that is possible. I have always thought that IF Rebecca were murdered and IF there was some cover up..It had to be with Jonah. Honestly Dina does not have the money or the ways and means to make something like that happen. Wasn't there an attorney at Jonah's house pretty early on the morning Rebecca was found? I don't think Dina would have such a friendly relationship with her ex husbands brother that they all would/could conspire to kill Rebecca. Honestly I don't know what happened to Max either but that is definitely where this all starts IMO

Yes, Justice be served-- Sheriff Gore deserves the lion's share of criticism on Rebecca's case, IMO.

Here's a good CNN ireport commentary about Gore's ineptness over decades of prominent cases:

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1029511

Thanks for the link, K_Z. Doesn't surprise me at all. Gore is a tool. Sadly, no one else investigating RZ's death was willing to stick their neck out.

This is interesting. The page view stats of Rebecca's wikipedia page-- the same page that editors will not permit any documentation of the ongoing WDS. Note the huge spike in page views yesterday. Nearly a 5-fold increase in page views!

This is the last 90 days. Note the other recent spike in views on 2/19/16-- the day of Greer's news interview.

Hmm I never even knew there was a wikpedia page for this. Interesting.

BBM - Agreed...We already have an example, Dina Shacknai is appealing the Zahau Federal Suit that was dismissed. Dina has until the 30th of this month to submit her opening brief.

Lash, hi:) What is the point of appealing the dismissed federal lawsuit that was against her? I'm not understanding what she has to gain by doing so.
In my opinion, you make a really good point and I agree that it is possible that there was a cover up that began with Maxie's accident.

Is it a common practice for Wiki to not allow information be posted on an ongoing lawsuit? Anyone know?

There's almost no doubt in my mind Jonah was instrumental in securing the too-quick suicide ruling and arranging for the general lack of interest on the part of all the many "investigators" to collect and test evidence at the scene, or to pursue evidence against a person or persons of interest.

I have no idea how he managed it, but money and influence talks. In any event, it was clear then and now that Jonah's primary motivation was to make the whole thing go away, and fast.

However, I don't believe he was involved in her murder. I do think he found out hours before the exceptionally odd text message sent to him by Adam. I've always thought the fact that he stayed away from the mansion that morning is meaningful. There's also some meaning behind the fact that RZ's body was allowed to lay exposed to the elements for 13 hours. Perhaps they were hoping for degradation of evidence (before deciding to simply ignore the condition of her body altogether except as it might bolster their suicide ruling).

The entire scenario of RZ's "suicide" ... from the improbability of anyone being able to kill themselves in such a fashion, to the odd behavior of Nina the day/evening before in attempting to confront Rebecca about Max's accident, to the bizarre message on the door and the scene in the bedroom leading out to the balcony, to Adam's odd behavior upon finding Rebecca's body, to the text message to Jonah announcing her death, to Jonah's no-show at the mansion after her body was found, to the wildly incompetent investigation into a possible murder, to the quickie renovation and faux sale of the mansion ... defies explanation.

I can't imagine any family of someone who died under such circumstances not trying to move heaven and earth to get to the truth. The Zahaus are doing what any (or at least most) of us would do if, God forbid, we found ourselves in a similar situation.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayneDrop
Back