WS Members/loved ones who have Coronavirus or testing for Coronavirus (Group Hug)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My wife just went to the doctor for an unrelated issue, and was recounting her strange illness from the Summer. Since they were doing other labs, they added a Covid antibody test. Sure enough, it came back positive. Early last Summer she was bed-ridden for two and a half weeks. Headache, backache, nausea, exhaustion, but no respiratory symptoms. Her doctor said that was a very common set of Covid symptoms. She went to one of those emergency aid places and they though it was a UTI and put her on antibiotics, which could have caused some of the symptoms. This was during the Summer surge, so she couldn't get a test, or get in to see her doctor. One day she just got out of bed, took a shower, got dressed and said "I feel better." I started feeling very strange about a week after she fell ill - an indescribable malaise with a dry cough (which I still have). My wife checks every box for high risk, including diabetes and smoking. She has been very diligent with her endocrinologist, so maybe her body was in a better state that most in her demographic. Anyway, we've been living with the assumption that we had it, but it's nice to have it confirmed.

While it is unfortunate that you both had it, it is good that you did not have a life-threatening version of it. I imagine there are lots of people who did have it, were not diagnosed with it.

My wife just went to the doctor for an unrelated issue, and was recounting her strange illness from the Summer. Since they were doing other labs, they added a Covid antibody test. Sure enough, it came back positive. Early last Summer she was bed-ridden for two and a half weeks. Headache, backache, nausea, exhaustion, but no respiratory symptoms. Her doctor said that was a very common set of Covid symptoms. She went to one of those emergency aid places and they though it was a UTI and put her on antibiotics, which could have caused some of the symptoms. This was during the Summer surge, so she couldn't get a test, or get in to see her doctor. One day she just got out of bed, took a shower, got dressed and said "I feel better." I started feeling very strange about a week after she fell ill - an indescribable malaise with a dry cough (which I still have). My wife checks every box for high risk, including diabetes and smoking. She has been very diligent with her endocrinologist, so maybe her body was in a better state that most in her demographic. Anyway, we've been living with the assumption that we had it, but it's nice to have it confirmed.

While it is unfortunate that you both had it, it is good that you did not have a life-threatening version of it. I imagine there are lots of people who did have it, were not diagnosed with it.

I also want to thank you specifically for your observation that you think you caught Covid from something that was brought into your house without being disinfected. This was a most helpful nudge. Because the experts have been fairly dismissive of such measures all along, I confess that after being diligent for most of 2020, over the past month or two I have gotten pretty casual about spraying down outside objects like mail and groceries, relying instead on the time I let them sit in the mailbox or the car to kill the virus or other infectious agents. But based on your experience, I'm going to return to spritzing down any "invasive objects" with denatured alcohol before they enter the house.

@janewall and others, I want to follow up on the theory that I caught Covid from something brought into the house from a store. The reason I (still) believe that I came down with it from an unwiped item is that I came down with it first and my husband about a week later.

However, on a Telemed visit with my PCP this week he said getting Covid from surfaces is highly unlikely. He felt that my husband picked it up from aerosol (despite double masks) and was asymptomatic when he gave it to me. While he may be right, this seems a little convoluted to me, so I am still theorizing that I caught it first from a surface. So we continue to wipe things with alcohol, even though we’ve had it. I don’t trust the UK mutation that is floating around in Oregon.

I’m so glad your wife pulled through without being hospitalized or worse, @MrX. I hope your cough goes away soon. I was told at the hospital that my cough would stick around for weeks or even months, so you seems to be following that pattern. Ugh.

Yes, we are very fortunate. I think the monoclonal antibodies helped keep it from getting more serious, but I also think my husband sending me off to ER when he did helped them pull me out of it more easily. I remember thinking, before my husband took over, that I was afraid to spend another night at home, but I’m not sure I could have have verbalized it. So I was totally on board when he said he was calling 911. Thankfully, I’ll never know if it was just in the nick of time.

My husband’s brother thinks he had it a year ago in February before they were testing and got it again last month. He did test positive this time. I’m not sure which time was worse, if indeed he did have it twice.

Yes, we are very fortunate. I think the monoclonal antibodies helped keep it from getting more serious ...

So relieved to hear you're recovering fine, @Lilibet. Thought I should share this here. I don't doubt people can get Covid again and that it can take on different forms. We all have to be careful still until this thing is under complete control. Anyways...

Posted here before... remember me?
I had Covid, all of December, not hospitalized but very sick. Even though I think I've recovered, I do have some lingering effects. It's hard for me to tell because I have such compromised lungs and then got Covid. I feel recovered, and yet...

Experiencing a little bit of what they described here. Heart rate spikes when standing, short of breath, chronic fatigue, and some brain fog, Called POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia) it's not a new condition, but a certain set of lingering symptoms. It seems Covid can trigger it, as well as other infections.

In-Depth: Why heart medication could help some COVID long haulers (10news.com) Watch the video too

"Dr. Taub has been studying POTS for years. The syndrome can be triggered by a viral infection."

"When someone with POTS stands up after laying down, their heart rate spikes. That spiking heart rate creates a cascade of effects."

“When you have an elevated heart rate, you get short of breath. Sometimes you have chest pain. You don’t feel well. You're not able to stand up. You're not able to do your usual activities,” Dr. Taub said."

"Many POTS patients experience brain fog. “When your heart rate is high, it's really hard to get things done. It's hard to focus. You can think of it as a flight or fight response all the time,” she said."

"To be sure, not every long hauler case is POTS. POTS is most common in young women. Doctors say other lingering symptoms from COVID could be caused by blood clots or scarring in the lungs."

"POTS is known to occur after significant infections like mononucleosis or Lyme disease. The prevailing theory, Dr. Taub explained, is that antibodies produced in response to the pathogen go haywire."

“These antibodies attack the regulatory systems of the body,” she said, specifically the systems that regulate blood pressure and heart rate."

ETA-- This is about a study. Just in case, it's good to be informed. However, please know, none of this post is medical advice though, just information.

"Ivabradine is FDA approved to treat heart failure, which means doctors could do what’s called an “off label” prescription for long haul COVID."

Last edited:
Yes, we are very fortunate. I think the monoclonal antibodies helped keep it from getting more serious, but I also think my husband sending me off to ER when he did helped them pull me out of it more easily. I remember thinking, before my husband took over, that I was afraid to spend another night at home, but I’m not sure I could have have verbalized it. So I was totally on board when he said he was calling 911. Thankfully, I’ll never know if it was just in the nick of time.

My husband’s brother thinks he had it a year ago in February before they were testing and got it again last month. He did test positive this time. I’m not sure which time was worse, if indeed he did have it twice.

I tend to think the Monoclonal antibodies had a great deal to do with your recovery. It is great that you had a physician who used it so quickly for you. I have read about physicians not using these monoclonal antibodies and so this life-saving treatment is not being utilized to its full advantage. I think of you often when trying to figure out how you got the virus in the first place because you were/are so careful. I just saw a news story which stated the FDA has come out and said we cannot get the virus from packages----that it is contracted through airborne transmission. Take care -glad that you and Mr. Lillibet continue to recover

I tend to think the Monoclonal antibodies had a great deal to do with your recovery. It is great that you had a physician who used it so quickly for you. I have read about physicians not using these monoclonal antibodies and so this life-saving treatment is not being utilized to its full advantage. I think of you often when trying to figure out how you got the virus in the first place because you were/are so careful. I just saw a news story which stated the FDA has come out and said we cannot get the virus from packages----that it is contracted through airborne transmission. Take care -glad that you and Mr. Lillibet continue to recover

I agree with you about the monoclonal antibodies. The goal in using them is to keep the symptoms from getting worse and keep people out of the hospital. It works for 70%, but I’m in the 30% that ended up hospitalized. I’m convinced they kept me from getting worse.

The doctor told me about the monoclonal antibodies, which I knew about, but hadn’t thought of. I was so surprised that the infusion was available at the small 49 bed hospital in my town where I ended up for 6 days. I got in the same day. The other day I checked a government website to see where they were available in Oregon. The two sites “nearby” were about a 90 minute drive in the mountains or 2 hours on the freeway. I really wasn’t up to that!

I’m sure the FDA knows what they are talking about regarding transmission on surfaces, but I’m just not convinced that my husband caught it from an airborne transmission while wearing 2 masks and glasses, and then give it to me while remaining asymptomatic for about 10 days. But I’m not a scientist, so I guess I need to believe it, rather than my Occam’s Razor theory about an item he brought home. :) We will never know for sure.

I agree with you about the monoclonal antibodies. The goal in using them is to keep the symptoms from getting worse and keep people out of the hospital. It works for 70%, but I’m in the 30% that ended up hospitalized. I’m convinced they kept me from getting worse.

The doctor told me about the monoclonal antibodies, which I knew about, but hadn’t thought of. I was so surprised that the infusion was available at the small 49 bed hospital in my town where I ended up for 6 days. I got in the same day. The other day I checked a government website to see where they were available in Oregon. The two sites “nearby” were about a 90 minute drive in the mountains or 2 hours on the freeway. I really wasn’t up to that!

I’m sure the FDA knows what they are talking about regarding transmission on surfaces, but I’m just not convinced that my husband caught it from an airborne transmission while wearing 2 masks and glasses, and then give it to me while remaining asymptomatic for about 10 days. But I’m not a scientist, so I guess I need to believe it, rather than my Occam’s Razor theory about an item he brought home. :) We will never know for sure.

I'm likewise sure the FDA knows what they are talking about regarding proven vectors of COVID transmission. That said, if diligent cleaning/disinfection gives you peace of mind in an anxiety-inducing ongoing crisis, and if supplies of alcohol, other disinfectant, or soap and water are plentiful and inexpensive, there's no downside to taking such precautions around your home – AS LONG AS you don't use them as a substitute for the recommended precautions of masking, handwashing, social distancing etc. And, I suppose, as long as the practice does not become obsessive-compulsive behavior or interfere with your other activities. JMO, as someone who can always use a little incentive to clean up a bit more regularly. :)

I'm likewise sure the FDA knows what they are talking about regarding proven vectors of COVID transmission. That said, if diligent cleaning/disinfection gives you peace of mind in an anxiety-inducing ongoing crisis, and if supplies of alcohol, other disinfectant, or soap and water are plentiful and inexpensive, there's no downside to taking such precautions around your home – AS LONG AS you don't use them as a substitute for the recommended precautions of masking, handwashing, social distancing etc. And, I suppose, as long as the practice does not become obsessive-compulsive behavior or interfere with your other activities. JMO, as someone who can always use a little incentive to clean up a bit more regularly. :)

Definitely not a substitute for the recommended precautions. Now that we’ve both had it and with the FDA info I think we can stop the wiping down. I’m a “better safe than sorry” type, but I think we are safe.

Definitely not a substitute for the recommended precautions. Now that we’ve both had it and with the FDA info I think we can stop the wiping down. I’m a “better safe than sorry” type, but I think we are safe.

Yes, I think you're safe too. But I'll be glad when you are able to be vaccinated. :)

Yes, I think you're safe too. But I'll be glad when you are able to be vaccinated. :)

Me too, especially since the 90 day waiting period isn’t based on data but on guesswork that it might interfere with the vaccine’s effectiveness. I don’t think they know how long immunity lasts after getting Covid or the monoclonal antibodies. So we continue our precautions and will not let up even after getting the vaccine. As I mentioned, the U.K. variant is floating around Oregon and I haven’t heard any solid data that the vaccine protects from it. Off to Google. :)

Yes, that’s what it is. I have one at home from gall bladder surgery. After posting, I realized the doctor said to use it every 6 minutes...which would be 10 times/hour...math genius that I am! I might meet that goal for the first time this hour. But I’m trying! Mr L had a rough day with his cookie hangover, so he was relieved I got another day here. :p We’ll both be ready tomorrow.
Lol, I used to tell my patients that were watching television to use it during every commercial. It's so hard for them to keep time when ill and if I was tied up in another room, I'd be late getting there.

Lol, I used to tell my patients that were watching television to use it during every commercial. It's so hard for them to keep time when ill and if I was tied up in another room, I'd be late getting there.

My doctor at the hospital told me the same thing about using it during every commercial! :D The trouble is, one news/commentary show I watch goes the first half hour with no commercials. So I have to make little marks on paper to keep track and try to get in five every half hour. Not easy!

My story—
In early Dec, 4 of the 5 of us tested positive. Husband had flu symptoms that came and went quickly (3 days) then just felt tired. Me and 2 of my kids had minor cold symptoms that lingered for a week & 1/2 to two weeks. More annoying than anything else. 3rd child tested negative but quarantined w/the rest of us. All recovered except for a little tiredness and I had some headaches (not too bad).
Jan 10 husband said his knee was sore. Next day it was swollen, red & angry when he came home from work. Next morning he goes to urgent care who sent him right to an orthopedist who told him to go to ER immediately for IV antibiotics. He’s in the hospital for 9 days. He was miserable b/c of the side effects. He came home and we did home health care, w/PICC line for IV meds. He had a hard time eating due to dry mouth and metallic taste (side effects). Last Sat and Sunday he seemed like he felt better so we thought he was on the mend. This past Tuesday morning he had a fever, was panting a little, and had trouble collecting his thoughts. Dr told me to bring him to ER for tests. He went into the ICU w/104 fever at 9am and went into cardiac arrest at 7pm and we lost him. He was 44.
Dr said either Covid weakened his heart or caused the infection in the first place. She said there’s a lot they don’t know.
Now I’m a widow w/3 teens and way over my head. Please—hold your love ones close.

Holy , TDoc, I did not see that coming. I'm so very sorry.

I'm still tired all the time. My heart rate shoots up randomly, and I feel miserable. My doctor didn't really listen. I'm trying to work and deal with Dad's estate, but last Friday, I was at work and I needed to adjust my insulin. I was also worrying about having to go into the bank, and feeling bad because I haven't put out and obituary yet. I've been a diabetic forever. But last Friday, my exhausted brain completely spaced out, and I massively overdosed on insulin. And then finished work and went to drive home. I remember getting horribly sick. I was trying to pull over and grab my candy, but I was sweating so hard, my glasses fell off. I remember pulling into the median because I knew I had to get off the road. Then there were voices everywhere, but I felt too sick to answer. Next thing I knew I was in an ambulance. My sugar was 25. Miraculously, I did get the car parked by myself. A big rig noticed my struggle and called 911. I had my road id on, so they checked my sugar immediately. I did, however, have to pay quite a lot of money to get my car from impound.
I blame this all on Covid. My brain and body weren't perfect, but they were much more functional than this.
Be safe, folks. Take lots of naps and fluids. This thing isn't kidding around, and we don't really know who it all works yet.

I'm still tired all the time. My heart rate shoots up randomly, and I feel miserable. My doctor didn't really listen. I'm trying to work and deal with Dad's estate, but last Friday, I was at work and I needed to adjust my insulin. I was also worrying about having to go into the bank, and feeling bad because I haven't put out and obituary yet. I've been a diabetic forever. But last Friday, my exhausted brain completely spaced out, and I massively overdosed on insulin. And then finished work and went to drive home. I remember getting horribly sick. I was trying to pull over and grab my candy, but I was sweating so hard, my glasses fell off. I remember pulling into the median because I knew I had to get off the road. Then there were voices everywhere, but I felt too sick to answer. Next thing I knew I was in an ambulance. My sugar was 25. Miraculously, I did get the car parked by myself. A big rig noticed my struggle and called 911. I had my road id on, so they checked my sugar immediately. I did, however, have to pay quite a lot of money to get my car from impound.
I blame this all on Covid. My brain and body weren't perfect, but they were much more functional than this.
Be safe, folks. Take lots of naps and fluids. This thing isn't kidding around, and we don't really know who it all works yet.

What a terrible experience! I'm so sorry for all you have been going through. Thank God you were noticed and taken to a hospital.

This post is difficult to like, but I'm doing so because it's informative. You've had a terrible grind with this, @Coppertop15 . I don't know if this has been going on long enough to qualify you as what they doctors are calling a "long-hauler", but if so I wonder if they've figured out any treatment for people who have recovered somewhat ... but not entirely.

Did the ambulance take you to the ER, and if so were you admitted to hospital? I'd think the doctors would note your fuller history as a Covid-19 survivor, not as 'just' a diabetic emergency without complicating factors. Seems that's important information for understanding the full effects virus.

I'm sorry you're still feeling awful with Covid-related issues weeks later, even as you try to sort out an estate and mourn the loss of your father.

I am so glad to hear you are safe—what a scary situation! I hope you are able to allow yourself some time to recuperate physically AND mentally from the myriad challenges of your illness and to begin to come to terms with the passing of your father. You will be in my thoughts!

Ambulance took me to ER. I think I was there about 7 hours, while they ran tests. I was there quite a few hours before I decided I had to retrace my steps in my mind and figure out what happened. And then I scared them all by suddenly bursting into tears, saying, "Oh no, it's all my fault! I messed up!" My tests were mostly ok. White blood cells a bit high, sodium a bit low. I don't think they think about Covid as much, since my chest x ray and EKG were ok. If I'm resting, my pulse is ok. But it freaks out when I start doing things. And the sheer quantity of naps is appalling.

For people with "long covid" -- also known as "long-haulers" -- I saw this interesting post on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/MaraGay/status/1364609594056704002

Mara Gay
@MaraGay

This is both anecdotal and early, but many long covid survivors are feeling significantly better after receiving their first vaccine dose. Including me. Fascinating.

11:14 AM · Feb 24, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

Many comments on her post.

I wonder if any WSers have had this experience?

[Cross-posted on main coronavirus thread.]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleutherine
Back