WV WV - Brian Cook, 37, Sherry Myers, 34, (& 2 found dec'd), Wyoming Co, Jul/Aug 2011

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.wvva.com/story/15719055/body-found-in-wyoming-county

****also sorry for any confusion I caused with that 2006 article! I have no other excuse other than the type is really slow at that website LOL****

No problem, I had to get really close to the monitor to read the date myself.

There is definitely something hinky going on in Wyoming county. To many people missing.

The Wyoming County Sheriff's Department is currently investigating the discovery of a body at a cemetery in Matheny.

Imagine that, a body found in a cemetery! I'm sorry I do not mean any disrespect but I can't believe the reporter used that play on words.

This is such a small community in the mountains. I'm sure the local LE know more than they are saying and know the families of these four... esp if they have lived there all their lives. Wish we could have more individual info on them. Did they have husbands, wives, children, etc. Did any of them work, etc? None of them owned cars so they had to have help "leaving". Cell phones? Someone from the local media needs to do a comprehensive story on all four, imo. Did they all have a drug problem or did they all hang out at the same bar, apt complex, etc?

The bad thing is there are so many places to hide a person...or a body around those areas. Mines, caves, quarries, old huts and cabins up in those mountains.

Law enforcement officers found human remains in the Matheny area Monday night, according to Wyoming County Sheriff Randall Aliff.

Authorities also recovered some personal items, but nothing that provides a positive identification, Aliff said.

Just before noon Tuesday, the sheriff said they were still awaiting the arrival of staff from the state Medical Examiner’s office.

No other details were being released.
http://www.register-herald.com/toda...n-remains-could-be-one-of-four-missing-people

This is an interesting situation. In the small, rural West Virginia county of Wyoming, during a period of two weeks in late July/early August of this year, 4 people (two men and two women) have gone missing. Those who are missing seem to have ties to the town of Oceana; a town of less than 1400.

Wyoming County is classic Appalachia. The population of 23,000 is down from 35,000 in 1980. It is virtually 100% white but 25% live below the poverty line. In 2009, not one single building permit was issued.

Wyoming County appears to be particularly hard hit by the Prescription Drug epidemic. For the last few years, around two people a month OD and die. (For a population of 23,000, this is astronomical). From what I can tell, the missing folks were not, shall we say, exactly pillars of the community but they weren't "hardened criminals" either. The rumors seem to suggest they were involved with drugs and suspected of talking to Law Enforcement. Apparently one body has been found but the identity is being withheld by LE.

I believe we are going to see those number go up. Drug related crimes are soaring in my WV county also.

It may be weeks, or even months, before a positive identification is made on the human remains found in a secluded area of Matheny Monday night, according to Wyoming County Sheriff Randall Aliff.

The sheriff said an identification could not be made based on clothing or shoes.

The medical examiner will make the determination on dental records or DNA, Aliff said.

He explained that many people wear the same jeans, shoes and other items. As a result, the medical examiner will not use such articles to make an identification.

Authorities also recovered some personal items Monday, but nothing that provides positive identification, Aliff said.

No other details were being released.
http://www.register-herald.com/local/x2117286916/Police-I-D-may-take-weeks

October 30, 2008
Oceana brothers face life in prison for federal drug conviction

A federal court jury in Illinois has convicted two Wyoming County brothers in multiple prescription drug conspiracies that spanned 10 states and resulted in four overdose deaths, prosecutors said.
<snip>
Because four deaths resulted from the Hatfields’ drug distribution activities, they face life sentences.
<snip>
Prosecutors said the jury returned special verdict forms which found the Hatfields’ activities resulted in the drug overdose deaths of Deborah Smith of Honaker, Va., in 2001; Mark Honaker of Lebanon, Va., in 2000; Carol Walker of Glen Fork in 2002; and Jimmy Dishmon (the Hatfields’ brother-in-law) in Oceana in 2003.
<snip>

According to multiple trial witnesses, the Hatfields suspected Smith and Walker were police informants. Walker died just a week before she was scheduled to testify against Everly Hatfield on a West Virginia state OxyContin distribution charge. Witnesses said the Hatfields had bragged after Smith and Walker died, claiming they had prevented Smith and Walker from testifying against them.
<snip>
more at the link: http://www.register-herald.com/poli...ce-life-in-prison-for-federal-drug-conviction

There is so much more to the 4 people missing, I just hope that it all come out. If they don't die from an OD, they disappear.

October 30, 2008
Oceana brothers face life in prison for federal drug conviction

A federal court jury in Illinois has convicted two Wyoming County brothers in multiple prescription drug conspiracies that spanned 10 states and resulted in four overdose deaths, prosecutors said.
<snip>
Because four deaths resulted from the Hatfields’ drug distribution activities, they face life sentences.
<snip>
Prosecutors said the jury returned special verdict forms which found the Hatfields’ activities resulted in the drug overdose deaths of Deborah Smith of Honaker, Va., in 2001; Mark Honaker of Lebanon, Va., in 2000; Carol Walker of Glen Fork in 2002; and Jimmy Dishmon (the Hatfields’ brother-in-law) in Oceana in 2003.
<snip>

According to multiple trial witnesses, the Hatfields suspected Smith and Walker were police informants. Walker died just a week before she was scheduled to testify against Everly Hatfield on a West Virginia state OxyContin distribution charge. Witnesses said the Hatfields had bragged after Smith and Walker died, claiming they had prevented Smith and Walker from testifying against them.
<snip>
more at the link: http://www.register-herald.com/poli...ce-life-in-prison-for-federal-drug-conviction

There is so much more to the 4 people missing, I just hope that it all come out. If they don't die from an OD, they disappear.

I think this is what happened to the 3 missing over in Point Pleasant also. They found the bodies of the two women but the man is still missing. Lots of drugs coming in from out of state to locals who then sell it.

It's no wonder people are afraid to turn in someone they know is dealing. To dangerous!

Just now am reading about this case, I grew up the county beside of Wyoming county and dated a boy years ago from Oceana, spent many many nights there. Haven't been there in a few years, know many many ppl from there. this is sad, I hear that this county has went down because of drugs.....praying they find these 4 ppl soon....

Body Found in Guyandotte River

A body was discovered in the Guyandotte River near the Indian Creek bridge on Route 97 Tuesday afternoon.

[snip]

There are currently 5 missing people in Wyoming County: Roger Browning, who has been missing since November, as well as Rachel Toler, Sherry Myers, Chester Stuart and Brian Cook, who all went missing within weeks of each other last summer.

More: http://www.wvnstv.com/story/16698797/body-found-in-guyandotte-river

It seems a lot of these pills might be coming from "pill mills" here in Georgia. The state has been cracking down on them. I read a few articles on this, here is one:

http://www.ajc.com/news/cherokee/pill-mill-clinics-spread-1007336.html

One article I read mentioned a pharmacy that was located near a pill mill that refused to fill prescrptions for people from out of state. I thought it was good that they did that, and that they chose not to profit from the pill mill customers.

West Virginia is known well for pills.... A lot of people from my hometown are on drugs and it plays in with a lot of foul play!!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bill1620
Back