WV WV - Leah Hickman, 21, Huntington, 14 Dec 2007 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
To answer rebelmom’s questions, no one I have talked to knows how she was killed. I’m not sure if the family knows or not, if they do they are not saying, possibly at the request of the police. Most friends have been trying to provide support and not really ask too many detailed questions about the death due to obvious reasons. I do know where Jessica works but I kinda prefer not to say because of her privacy. The first reaction of many people upon finding out there was a body found in the building was that the police should look very hard at the ex – pretty much initial gut feeling of everyone I have talked to. I don’t know about MySpace either. I’m sure if Jessica had him as one of her friends she deleted him. His stuff was thrown out at the direction of Leah “a couple of weeks ago.” I’m not sure of the exact timeline of this or if he knew it was thrown out. I don’t know about the plastic. Jessica was with her new boyfriend Friday evening after work at a Christmas party and was with him all day Saturday. They began dating pretty much right after she broke up with the ex-bf.

The crawl space as described to me (I have not seen it) was the type you would have to literally be stooped down or on your stomach to get into. These compartments were storage units of some type all lined up each with a door. I don’t believe they were locked but I’m not sure about this.

His stuff was thrown out at the direction of Leah “a couple of weeks ago.” I’m not sure of the exact timeline of this or if he knew it was thrown out.

That could be motive right there. I wonder if he had been harrasing Leah by phone or text.

Welcome to alll the newbies who have joined to discuss Leah's case. So sad for us all to meet this way.

I just want to remind everyone to read TOS (Terms of Service)
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19146

Want to say now before anything gets off track:
Let's all be careful about how we discuss Leah and her sister.. the sister, Jessie, is a victim unless evidence comes to light to prove otherwise. Discussion is fine, bashing will not be tolerated.

Thank you Christine for reminding all of us about TOS:). I would not want for Jessie to ever read that she was a possible suspect in some people's eyes when she may be just what she seems--a devastated, grieving sister of a beautiful young woman.

Lion

I totally cannot understand crawling or stooping to try to put some stuff in a storage locker. But, yes, ex bf would know about this space.

If LE are telling citizens not to worry...are they telling them they think this tragedy is not random? Or is that a leap?

I totally cannot understand crawling or stooping to try to put some stuff in a storage locker. But, yes, ex bf would know about this space.

If LE are telling citizens not to worry...are they telling them they think this tragedy is not random? Or is that a leap?

Just to make a minute correction, the reporter said LE isn't telling citizens to worry, NOT, LE is telling citizens not to worry. As far as I know there hasn't been a statement like that from LE.

I know it's just semantics, but I wanted to make sure we got it right here!

Sorry. I stand corrected! There IS a difference and maybe I was just being too hopeful.

Thanks CP....

I haven't seen anywhere anything dicussed about TOD or COD...but the heading of her obit states she died on 12/14. Did I miss this somewhere, have they discussed TOD or COD yet?

If not, this is a clue, they believe she died on Friday, the day she disappeared? Or the family is just putting this date?

All I read is that they called it a homicide and the date of death was Dec. 14th.

Sorry. I stand corrected! There IS a difference and maybe I was just being too hopeful.

Glad you didn't take that personal as that's not how I meant it! :blowkiss: I think it's hopeful that they aren't warning citizens, right?

I know this is an age-old question, but has it always been the case that so many young people kill other young people senselessly? Especially ex's killing ex's?

It just seems to never end and feels like it's getting worse. I just needed to vent. These cases really get to me after a while.

Yes, hopeful that they have their eyes on someone...and the family will get answers. I know "answers" don't initially ease the pain, but I have read that "knowing" eventually helps life move on.

Thanks Margaret26. I knew that I was asking alot. You have been very helpful. I can reallly see the scenario. I was engaged to a guy that was in the gulf war. When he came home he was way different! Not his fault, I know. War changes people and their perspectives on life. I have heard many murders recently by men returning from Iraq. That makes alot of sense to me. Sad but true. I would be scared to be Jessica if this is true.

In a newspaper article from this weekend, Vickers talks about Leah's hair...alot. How pretty she was etc. It all seemd like Vickers once again talking about an object and not a person. "Yeah, it was a pretty car, too bad it got totaled". Very creepy, IMO!!!

I don't see anything wrong with Jessica talking about her sister's curly hair and how beautiful she was. She was sharing memories of Leah. When I was told that my daughter had been murdered the first thing that I said as I went to my knees was "she was so beautiful." When you are so deep in grief it is strange the things that you say or remember but that doesn't mean that the dead person was only an object to you. I loved my daughter with everything in me and I'm sure that Jessica loved Leah like that. Jessica said a lot more in the article.

I don't see anything wrong with Jessica talking about her sister's curly hair and how beautiful she was. She was sharing memories of Leah. When I was told that my daughter had been murdered the first thing that I said as I went to my knees was "she was so beautiful." When you are so deep in grief it is strange the things that you say or remember but that doesn't mean that the dead person was only an object to you. I loved my daughter with everything in me and I'm sure that Jessica loved Leah like that. Jessica said a lot more in the article.

I understand and agree with you, Bobbisangel. As my mom lay dying just a couple of months ago, I was commenting to my sister and uncle how smooth and nice her skin was. Jessica may have been in a state of numbness and shock. She may be the type of person who's emotions are not always easy to read. But, things she said during interviews make her sound like a grieving sister.

Lion

I understand and agree with you, Bobbisangel. As my mom lay dying just a couple of months ago, I was commenting to my sister and uncle how smooth and nice her skin was. Jessica may have been in a state of numbness and shock. She may be the type of person who's emotions are not always easy to read. But, things she said during interviews make her sound like a grieving sister.

Lion

I thought that she did really well during the interview. She talked about them fighting as kids but growing closer as they grew older. Typical in most households. I sensed that she loved Leah and that Leah letting her hair down for her on her birthdays was something really special to her. After what Margaret said about Jessica and her not being the type of person to speak on networks, etc, I think she is doing really well to talk to reporters and go on network shows. In situations like this we do a lot of things that we are not really comfortable doing but we do them for our loved one.

This has to be Leah's family's worst nightmare. To have a child murdered and then stuffed away like a piece of garage...missing for days... is so hard to cope with. My heart goes out to every member of the family and I hope that some day they will be able to find peace.

I thought that she did really well during the interview. She talked about them fighting as kids but growing closer as they grew older. Typical in most households. I sensed that she loved Leah and that Leah letting her hair down for her on her birthdays was something really special to her. After what Margaret said about Jessica and her not being the type of person to speak on networks, etc, I think she is doing really well to talk to reporters and go on network shows. In situations like this we do a lot of things that we are not really comfortable doing but we do them for our loved one.

This has to be Leah's family's worst nightmare. To have a child murdered and then stuffed away like a piece of garage...missing for days... is so hard to cope with. My heart goes out to every member of the family and I hope that some day they will be able to find peace.

I feel as you do, bobbisangel. And if anyone understands just what a person is forced to go through when a loved one is murdered it is you, dear boobisangel:blowkiss:.

I, too find what Jessie said and the way she seemed to the media understandable.

Lion

Hey guys, I said early on while I thought that Vickers behavior was odd, it didn't mean she murdered her sister. And I still feel that way. She is one of those people that remain so calm to the point they come off as uncaring. Her behavior was at odds with the rest of the family. According to one of Margaret's post, Vickers is still walking around in denial (towards the ex bf's involvement). And no one has been officially ruled out as a suspect.

Some of her nervousness may have been attributed to suspecting (even subconsciously) that her ex might have done this. Can you even imagine? Poor thing.

She could be in denial, she could be trying to stay strong for others, she could just react this way to all bad things...who knows. As much as I hope LE is ready to nail someone, I hope that SOMEONE has no connection to sister as that would add to her life-long grief.

I was doing a search on Leah and came across a timeline posted on the herald dispatchj..however, the article has been removed..I got the cached version (wonder why it's no longer viewable to readers on the site?):

Leah Hickman timeline

Dec 22, 2007 @ 10:53 PM

The Herald-Dispatch

FRIDAY, DEC. 14
  • Leah Hickman, 21, is last seen by her half-sister, 25-year-old Jessica Vickers, at the apartment the two share on the 400 block of 8th Avenue sometime in the afternoon.
  • Hickman's last recorded logon to her MySpace page takes place sometime on this day. No specific time is given.
  • 5:40 p.m., Hickman makes a call from her cell phone to a friend saying she is going to get food from McDonald's. It is the last call made from her phone, and incoming calls that night go straight to voicemail. After a time, incoming callers receive a message that Hickman's voicemail is full.
SATURDAY, DEC. 15
  • Morning, Vickers stops back by the apartment and notices Hickman's purse, keys and car are still at the residence, though Hickman is nowhere to be found.
  • 1:01 p.m., Vickers posts a message on Hickman's MySpace page which reads "Oh sister, where are you???"
  • 5 p.m., Hickman does not show up for a scheduled four-hour shift at Dress Barn on Merritts Creek Road in Barboursville, where she has been working for five months. Her manager, Peggy Nida, later told reporters that Hickman was not the type of employee who didn't show up for work, and usually called even if she was going to be a few minutes late.
SUNDAY, DEC. 16
  • 4:48 p.m., Hickman's mother, Sherry Russell of Leon, W.Va., files a missing person report with the Huntington Police Department. Authorities begin the investigation into Hickman's disappearance.
MONDAY, DEC. 17
  • 7:30 a.m., Hickman's friend, Roger Parker of Proctorville, posts a message on Hickman's MySpace page informing friends that she is missing, and asking anyone with information on her whereabouts to contact him, or friend Caitlin Starkey. Friends begin to post fliers across the area.
TUESDAY, DEC. 18
  • Police continue to search for Hickman and conduct interviews, searching for leads in the case.
WEDNESDAY, DEC. 19
  • Vickers is interviewed on MSNBC concerning her sister's disappearance, other national media begin to carry stories on the incident.
  • 11 a.m., Police canvas Hickman's neighborhood, searching abandoned houses and interviewing sex offenders in the area looking for any new evidence in the case. Authorities state the search does not turn up any new information.
  • Dress Barn announces a $10,000 reward for information on Hickman's whereabouts.
THURSDAY, DEC. 20
  • Police announce they are pursuing new leads in the case.
  • 6 p.m., Friends conduct a candlelight vigil at the Memorial Student Center plaza on the campus of Marshall University.
FRIDAY, DEC. 21
  • Vickers is interviewed on MSNBC for the second time concerning her sister's disappearance.
  • Huntington Police find the body of a white female in a laundry room in Hickman's apartment building. Police believe it is Hickman's body, but the woman was not identified conclusively. Police forensic units look for clues and treat the discovery as an active crime scene.
SATURDAY, DEC. 22
  • Forensic units continue to investigate at the apartment building.
  • The victim's body is removed from the building and sent to the state Medical Examiner's Office for identification.

I also found some comments I thought interesting at the end of an article, what are these peeps talking about??? (Lots of comments there, these just stood out to me)

Posted by: Robin I know that this may sound dumb, but, has anyone noticed that She and Samantha Burns who disappeared from a Huntington Apartment look similar? Maybe I watch too much court TV. My prayers go out to the family. I hope that she is found alive and well.

Posted by: johnnie and amanda First off wsaz awesome job on the coverage!! But now the question is she has been there for a week. what if it is like the 4 teens on charleston ave? really it seems like a poor example of huntington! and they cant tell us if there is anything to worry about if someone is out to get the family or anybody is there a murderer on the loose? a sex offender? besides the crime unit not doing there part. what about detectives who still have no answers after a week? other than that.we really want to see this one caught!!!!!but to the family sorry to hear the horrible news.we and everyone else will pray that justice is done.noone deserves this!!!!!!!! so please HPD if there is someone we are to be looking for or something as a community we are suppose to do let everyone know once agian WSAZ WE KNOW WE CAN COUNT ON U GUYS HARD WORK AND CONCERNS!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Josh How many horrible crimes does it take for people to realize the protection in huntington is a joke??? 2 young girls have been abducted and killed, 4 young kids shot to death after prom? How many armed robberies happen each week?? This all points back to the poor job the police department does. If they had a better reputation than what they have people would think twice before doing some of the things they do. They know they will get away with it, so they do it.

http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/12576086.html

Another comment:

Posted by: A former Huntington resident. I'm extremely sorry for the family. I'm glad I no longer live in Huntington. HPD, what can you say? Nothing! Like it or not, it sure doesn't look good. A whole week and she is right under your feet. I would have thought that you would have looked over every inch of that building already. Huntington is in a SAD state of affairs. If the four murdered teen agers didn't wake you up, there's no doubt in my mind, that this incident won't either.

another one:

Posted by: MYSPACE I think the answers can be found on myspace if it is really looked into, and "Tom" would allow access to all the friends sites that are set to private. And the two out of state guys that keep commenting back and forth about Leah give me the creeps!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper