DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.news-record.com/
apps/pbcs.dll/article?ID=/20071213/
NRSTAFF/312140005/-1/news1604

this is the link again to lady in High Point, NC it won't put the whole link out together...this IS ONE LINK ALTOGETHER

WV Mom you have a great theory and I have to agree it doesn't necessarily have to be done by one person. It's probably the most logical the more I've thought about it. I don't see much of a correlation with the High Point murder but that is so very sad.

http://www.huntingtonnews.net/local/080103-seaton-localchiefholbrook.html

By Tony Seaton
Huntingtonnews.net City Editor

Huntington Chief of Police Skip Holbrook is in a tough position. Leah Hickman's killer has not been found and Huntington Police Department, State Police and FBI investigators have no suspects and no leads."We're standing mute on that right now," Holbrook said to questions about that.

Yet the chief wants to dispel any fears that there's an active killer on the loose or that someone is targeting Huntington residents. But he can't cite specific information his department has developed that would help him do that, for fear of jeopardizing the investigation. He can't even say that the police have developed such information.

He does say they have detected no pattern that would indicate any such scenarios.

Police were a heavy presence in the neighborhood of the murder during the crime scene investigation, but are not now doing saturation patrols or even being especially visible, so apparently the police do not consider the possibility that the neighborhood is home to a stalking murderer or any such thing to be even remotely likely.

Which only leads some to ask, 'where then is the killer '?

Holbrook believes the lack of information about where police are looking or what they're looking for has led to faulty assumptions by the public and by reporters. "You all are jumping to way too many conclusions," he recently said of journalists who ask certain questions that he says giving the answers to would likely impede the investigation. "There have been a few times when we've had some specific calls from different reporters and they've asked pretty pointed questions that made me really uncomfortable about where they came about that information."

Holbrook said a lot of those questions are likely based on speculation but,"once that information is public it hampers us in eliminating people, and makes it hard to determine if witness information is credible or not."

But he also says, "for me to say if she was specifically targeted or it was random is not appropriate, because we haven't ruled anything out."

That's what's worrying many women, especially Marshall coeds. News web sites are filled with comments from concerned students, parents and others. Some accuse the police department of hiding details, while others say they understand the need to be tight-lipped at this stage of the investigation.

Chief Holbrook says that despite requests for responsibility by the media, some news coverage, "is just inciting people's paranoia." He says that he knows that he can't control it, and he doesn't have an answer to help quell it. "Everybody wants us to say something when we're saying we don't want to do that right now, we don't want to jeopardize the case. The second we can, we'll do it.'

Probably the main thing that concerns many is the fact that Leah Hickman's body was found by forensics experts, after a week-long nationwide missing person search, in the crawl space adjoining the apartment's laundry room, where it presumably was the entire time she was considered missing, "right under their noses," as one person put it.

Why, many ask, did police using body detection dogs not find her sooner? "They let that poor girl lay up under that crawl space for a week; have the state police in there, two or three dog teams, the FBI..." begins a typical rant by an anonymous poster.

HNN asked Chief Holbrook about that specifically:

HNN: "The fact is, the body was right there for a week, yet there was a nationwide hunt for her. Shouldn't heads roll? Are you pissed about that?"

Holbrook: "Absolutely not. Everybody's jumping to way too many conclusions [thinking] that there'd be a body just easily accessible and visible for people that didn't even know there had been any foul play."

Holbrook says that's one of the reasons, in addition to the obvious motivation, that he'd like to get closure on the case. "We'll explain our position on a few things and set the record straight on a few things, but we're just not in a position to do that right now."

At the press conference the day Hickman's body was found, Holbrook told gathered journalists who asked questions about the length of time that expired before Hickman's body was found, "We need to keep our eye on the ball on this, there's a lot of reasons that it's not productive for us to explain what could have caused that." He went on to explain that the use of detection dogs is not a perfect science.

"They [dogs] give us indications, we then take it to the next step."

Holbrook says the next step now is priority number one with the department and they're working all the angles as fast as they can. "Every day that passes makes it a little bit tougher, and we have to stay as tenacious as we can."

For those who are still concerned and want more information about the progress of the case, Holbrook says, "I would love to explain something away, which I think is easily done, but again, we're not in a position to do that right now."

It really sounds like LE has a pretty good idea what happened to Leah. But it seems they are waiting on something before proceeding. I am reading between the lines here but it doesn't seem there is a serial killer on the loose.

I agree concerned. Sounds like LE knows that the public at large is not in danger. So, that means it is someone who was focused on Leah??????

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/homepage/x1286154988

check out the comments section after the article.

So many people there think the killer is a "she". I hope that's not how this turns out.

I wonder if LE has the weapon used, if any. Knife, gun, hammer, etc. That could tell them a lot. If it was a stabbing, was the knife from a set in the home? Just thinking out loud and guessing since we don't have a lot of facts.

It really sounds like LE has a pretty good idea what happened to Leah. But it seems they are waiting on something before proceeding. I am reading between the lines here but it doesn't seem there is a serial killer on the loose.

Yeah, their "non-response" is ok with me. That makes me think they are just waiting for the evidence they need to make an arrest, and that there isn't some psycho loose in the city.

Thanks everyone for the new info.

It does sound like LE has someone(s) in mind. A non-response from LE is ok wih me too.

so all the commenters there seem to think its the sister. i sure wish we'd have more clues to form more of an opinion.

I think people just like thinking the most scandalous things that they can. There was even a point where someone was considering the father because he used to always send her flowers.

I know those things happen and I was proven wrong with cases such as Susan Smith and another local one in WV called Diane Welker. She claimed her daughter was missing, pleaded all over local t.v. and it ended up that her spouse or boyfriend killed the girl and threw her in the Kanawha River.

I don't like being a fool, but I don't like jumping to such scandalous conclusions without better proof either.

I've read enough from somewhat connected persons on boards to believe that the sister has been cleared due to her work.

I tend to agree with you HD. I haven't read all the COMMENTS on those mentioned sites, but I'm wondering if someone said something about her "clocking out" early. I'm not starting a rumor, I'm just asking a question.

Right now I think we are just totally and completely in the dark. I'm looking forward to LE releasing more information so we can get back on track.

I was hoping they would have made an arrest by now.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/homepage/x607058450

Hickman lab results still pending

Jan 04, 2008 @ 01:50 PM

By CURTIS JOHNSON

Herald-Dispatch.com

HUNTINGTON — The Huntington Police Department is still waiting on laboratory results in the death and disappearance of Marshall University student Leah Hickman.
Hickman, 21, was last seen and heard from Dec. 14. Police discovered her body a week later in a crawl space underneath the student’s apartment building at 403 8th Ave. The crawl space was connected to a common laundry room.
Huntington Police Chief Skip Holbrook said he wants to see the lab results and analyze the information before he releases any additional information about the case.
He had initially hoped to release more details this week, but a delay in obtaining the test results postponed any comment.
“We’re hoping to here something from the lab today,” he said Friday morning. “That’s not a certainty. We can’t rush them any more than we are.”
Holbrook would not describe the nature of those lab tests. The department has not named any suspect, ruled out any family or friends, or released Hickman’s cause of death.
The police chief also declines comment when asked if Hickman’s death was a targeted attack or a random killing. Holbrook said he wants to answer that question soon, but he has not felt comfortable doing so to this point.
On Wednesday, Holbrook said detectives must be sure of their case. He does not want to say one thing and being forced to correct it later. He encouraged the public to listen to his “non-response” and make “commonsense inferences.”
“If we felt like there was a major problem there, we would be very obligated to warn people,” he said Wednesday. “At the same time, we’ve got to be careful not to allow the statements we make — or not make — to send a message that we’re not looking at a certain place or we are looking at a certain place.”
University of Cincinnati criminology professor Edward J. Latessa said Hickman’s role as a college student will increase fear within the community. He said police have the responsibility to catch the killer and limit panic, but he said so is a balancing act that can take time.
“This isn’t CSI where it’s solved an hour later,” he said. “It takes a while to run that kind of stuff. That’s not an overnight process.”
Hickman died three days after Marshall University closed out its first semester. Spring classes begin Jan. 14.

http://www.dailymail.com/News/200801040307

Friday January 4, 2008
Neighbors fearful after unsolved Hickman slaying
Huntington police say they have no new leads on death of Marshall University student

by Zack Pettit
Daily Mail staff

With no arrests made and police naming no suspects in the death of Leah Hickman, people who live in what once was a quiet Huntington neighborhood are wondering if things will ever be normal again.

Neighbors fearful after unsolved Hickman slaying
1 | 2 | 3 | 4
zoom.gif

A Marshall University bear with a message of hope and comfort for the family still rests on the front porch of Hickman’s apartment. ..

Baby blue ribbons and long-stemmed red roses still adorn the trees lining the lawn of Hickman's four-unit apartment building, where her body was found Dec. 21 in a basement crawl space.
The 21-year-old Marshall University journalism student, who lived with her older sister, had been missing for a week.
Hickman's neighbors said they're still stunned by what happened, and they're afraid.
"I don't want to look over there, but my eyes go over every time," said Verna Blatt, 72, who has lived across from Hickman's Fourth Street apartment building for 48 years. "When they took her body out I was crying and praying for her. It's just so sad."
One of Blatt's six children lives next door to her. She said that's the only thing making her feel safe in the neighborhood right now.
"I'm a little bit scared, but not as bad as if my son didn't live next door," she said. "Nothing has ever happened here before."
People who live in the neighborhood said with no information forthcoming about the crime, theories and rumors are running rampant.
"My friend called me and said she's heard all kinds of things, and she's terrified," Blatt said.
Curt McHaffie, 50, has lived two houses down from the Hickman's apartment building for the past 30 years.
He said this is the first time a major crime has hit so close to his home. But he said he thinks the murder is an indication of bigger problems in Huntington. He cited increasing violent crimes and drug arrests in the city.
"It could be drugs, it could be anybody - the possibilities are endless," McHaffie said.
Another neighbor, who asked not to be identified, said he has noticed a change in the community since Hickman's death.
He said the porch lights on almost every house on the street are turned on immediately after the sun sets each evening.
The man said his wife was very shaken up by the incident, but the couple has been comforted by knowing that, for the most part, neighbors in the community watch out for one another.
Still, Blatt said she's changing some of her habits.
When the weather is nice, she sits on her porch after dusk.
She said she will be reluctant to do that anymore, even after the snow melts.
Huntington Police Lt. Rocky Johnson is heading the investigation into Hickman's murder, but has not returned phone calls this week.
Police have had little to say publicly since they had a press conference on the night Hickman's body was found.
At the time, they said they had no leads.
Police Chief Skip Holbrook said this week the department is waiting on laboratory results.
Several of Hickman's family members and friends, who pleaded publicly for the girl's safe return after she disappeared, could not be reached for comment.
Jessica Vickers, Hickman's roommate and half-sister, is the last known person to see her alive.
Vickers said the two discussed grades and the Marshall classes they would take during the upcoming semester. Vickers said her sister was in their apartment washing dishes the last time they spoke. That was about 4 p.m. Dec. 14, she said.
Police say Hickman called a friend from her cell phone about 5:45 later that day and said she was going to McDonald's for dinner. That is the last known contact she had with any of her friends or family.
Police said they found a McDonald's receipt and food wrappers at the apartment.
Hickman had been working at the Dress Barn store in the Huntington area for about five months before her death. The store put up a $10,000 reward for any information leading to her whereabouts.
For one week, friends had candlelight vigils and benefit concerts all over Huntington to drum up support and money for the search efforts, and to increase awareness about the missing woman. Her family members also plastered photos of Hickman on trees and telephone poles all over Cabell County and in Point Pleasant, Hickman's hometown and where her parents still live.
Leah's father, Ron, is the Mason County assessor.
Exactly one week after Hickman went missing, police found her body in a crawlspace next to the basement laundry room of her four-unit apartment building.

Hi, twistedLPN,
I'm new, too.

If you go to the WSAZ coverage:
http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/12576086.html#

And click on this story down near the bottom of the list:
Dec. 26: Hickman Funeral Scheduled, Investigation Continues

you should get the description of location of the crawl space. I know that some older homes in Huntington have full basements under the living quarters, with crawl spaces that are like shallower, unfinished basement space extending under front &/or back porches. It sounds as if some sort of cabinet or locker may have been constructed the sort of "backed into" that space.

The ones that I have seen are shorter than the basement, but not because the ceiling was lower. It was because the floor was higher. In other words, that area wasn't excavated as deeply as the basement when the house was built.

Hope that is some help . . .

We have an older home with crawl space under where what used to be a front porch would be. I feel bad when the electrician had to get down there, it was a very small squeeze to get through; i'm not sure how big the one was in this case..
My prayers for Leah's family in that they catch the killer soon..

I read somewhere that the plastic was held down by a brick. (it was in a post...no from paper or radio) I wonder if the plastic was a moisture barrier...and her body was slid under the plastic and held down by a brick...from what I read she was small built..5'4" 125 to 130...if her body was pushed back to the back wall or the side walls of the porch and the plastic was black...then I could see why it would be hard to see....that is if they looked...I agree with someone earlier who said on the first search they were looking for a college student who may have just left for the weekend....and with that mind set....they really didn't do a full search like they would have if they were looking for a body....I read somewhere today that LE said once they were able to release information that what appeared to be mistakes would make more sense....Whatever that means...I just hope in the end that it doesn't make a difference in the evidence they collected. For those of you from out of town/state....the students and parents of students are verbally putting a lot of pressure on LE to do something before classes start again.. Not sure that will make any difference. Personally I really want to know facts, but if keeping all info to themselves helps them solve this case...then so be it... in the end I think we all want the killer to be caught and prosecuted.... I'm willing to wait if that is the outcome.

I read somewhere that the plastic was held down by a brick. (it was in a post...no from paper or radio) I wonder if the plastic was a moisture barrier...and her body was slid under the plastic and held down by a brick...from what I read she was small built..5'4" 125 to 130...if her body was pushed back to the back wall or the side walls of the porch and the plastic was black...then I could see why it would be hard to see....that is if they looked...I agree with someone earlier who said on the first search they were looking for a college student who may have just left for the weekend....and with that mind set....they really didn't do a full search like they would have if they were looking for a body....I read somewhere today that LE said once they were able to release information that what appeared to be mistakes would make more sense....Whatever that means...I just hope in the end that it doesn't make a difference in the evidence they collected. For those of you from out of town/state....the students and parents of students are verbally putting a lot of pressure on LE to do something before classes start again.. Not sure that will make any difference. Personally I really want to know facts, but if keeping all info to themselves helps them solve this case...then so be it... in the end I think we all want the killer to be caught and prosecuted.... I'm willing to wait if that is the outcome.

I hadn't thought about that possibility with the plastic. That makes a lot of sense.

I'm sure a lot of people are stressed over classes starting and this still being unsolved. It sort of felt like LE was trying to offer delivery of some information by today, then they did follow through to say it would be a bit longer. I hope that means early next week. It does make it sound like there is some specific information that they anticipate receiving or confirming, and that makes me hopeful.

I'm with you, I want the killer to be caught and prosecuted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper