WV WV - Leah Hickman, 21, Huntington, 14 Dec 2007 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is an older article but it details that Mitochondrial DNA is/was being tested.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/x1724959344/MtDNA-analysis-at-heart-of-probe

According to the government website, mitochondrial DNA is generally used to tell whether or not victims and suspects are related (through the same mother).

"All mothers have the same mitochondrial DNA as their offspring. This is because the mitochondria of each new embryo comes from the mother's egg cell. The father's sperm contributes only nuclear DNA. Comparing the mtDNA profile of unidentified remains with the profile of a potential maternal relative can be an important technique in missing-person investigations."

taken from http://www.ornl.gov/sci/techresources/Human_Genome/elsi/forensics.shtml

No Stone, they did do an article about Leah's death... One of the girls interviewed told me about it and I thought I would share. http://www.herald-dispatch.com/life...our-years-gone-but-memories-of-Hickman-remain

I'm so sorry that such an awful thing happened to you, Leah. I'm also sad that I never got to meet you. Caitlin still talks about you and I just wish I could bring you back for her and the rest of your family and friends. RIP. I hope one day justice will finally be served.

Leah's Timeline

FRIDAY, DEC. 14

Leah Hickman, 21, is last seen by her half-sister, 25-year-old Jessica Vickers, at the apartment the two share on the 400 block of 8th Avenue sometime in the afternoon.
Hickman logs in to her MySpace page sometime on this day.

5:40 p.m., Hickman makes a call from her cell phone to a friend saying she is going to McDonald's. This is the last call made from her phone. All incoming calls that night go straight to voice mail suggesting the phone has been turned off. Eventually, incoming callers get a recorded message that Hickman's voice mail is full.

SATURDAY, DEC. 15

In the morning, Vickers enters the apartment and sees Hickman's purse, keys and car are still at the residence, though Hickman is nowhere to be found.

1:01 p.m., Vickers posts a message on Hickman's MySpace page which reads "Oh sister, where are you???"

5 p.m., Hickman does not show up for a scheduled four-hour shift at Dress Barn on Merritts Creek Road in Barboursville, where she has been working for five months. Her manager, Peggy Nida, later told reporters that Hickman was not the type of employee to no show for a shift, and even called the store to tell them she was going to be a few minutes late.

SUNDAY, DEC. 16

4:48 p.m., Hickman's mother, Sherry Russell of Leon, W.Va., files a missing person report with the Huntington Police Department. Authorities begin the investigation into Hickman's disappearance.

MONDAY, DEC. 17

7:30 a.m., Hickman's friend, Roger Parker of Proctorville, posts a message on Hickman's MySpace page informing friends that she is missing, and asking anyone with information on her whereabouts to contact him, or friend Caitlin Starkey. Friends begin to post fliers across the area.

TUESDAY, DEC. 18

Police continue to search for Hickman and conduct interviews, searching for leads in the case.

WEDNESDAY, DEC. 19

Vickers is interviewed on MSNBC concerning her sister's disappearance, other national media begin to carry stories on the incident.

11 a.m., Police search Hickman's neighborhood, searching abandoned houses and interviewing sex offenders in the area looking for any new evidence in the case. Authorities state the search does not turn up any new information.
Dress Barn announces a $10,000 reward for information on Hickman's whereabouts.

THURSDAY, DEC. 20

Police announce they are pursuing new leads in the case.

6 p.m., Friends and family hold a candlelight vigil at the Memorial Student Center plaza on the campus of Marshall University.

FRIDAY, DEC. 21

Vickers is interviewed on MSNBC for the second time concerning her sister's disappearance.

Later, Huntington Police find the body of a white female in the overhead crawl space in the basement laundry room in Hickman's apartment building. Police believe it is Hickman's body, but the woman was not identified conclusively. Police forensic units look for clues and treat the discovery as an active crime scene.

SATURDAY, DEC. 22

Forensic units continue to investigate at the apartment building.
The victim's body is removed from the building and sent to the state Medical Examiner's Office for identification.

MONDAY, DEC. 24

Police announce the body found has been positively identified as Leah Hickman.

WEDNESDAY, DEC. 26

Funeral for Leah Hickman scheduled for 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 29, at the Point Pleasant National Guard Armory. Hickman will be buried the next day following a private graveside service.

THURSDAY, DEC. 27

Dress Barn announces that $10,000 reward fund will go to pay for funeral.

SATURDAY, DEC. 29

More than 2,000 attend services and visitation for Hickman at National Guard Armory in Point Pleasant.

Think of you often Leah. May you have justice soon.

I used to have high hopes that Leah's case would be solved but now I can't help but doubt that it ever will. :(

Just thinking about her this morning.....so sad that there is still no justice for Leah. And whomever is responsible for her murder cannot remain hidden forever. God will out you, "be sure your sin will find you out."

Wow, I can't believe that thumbing through old cases on the "Located" forum is the first time I have heard of Leah.

I started attending Marshall University less than a year after Leah's death. I attended school, worked, and lived in Huntington for years but never heard a mention of her or the case to find her killer.

I was told as a Freshman by an upper classman never to cross under the bridge to eighth avenue after dark because it wasn't safe. Some parts of Huntington can be really rough-- but of course in Leah's case it appears as though she was targeted and was familiar with her attacker.

In my few experiences with HPD, I was NOT impressed. Nothing as serious as a murder of course. My car and a few others in my lot had been broken into.. my friend's GPS was stolen and about 50 CD's were stolen out of my car. The officer refused to take a report and said that it was my fault and I must have left my car unlocked (I would never leave my car unlocked at night in Huntington). When I catch up on Hton news via WSAZ, the comments from the public seem to be very negative toward HPD... doesn't seem like many locals are impressed with them at all.

I hope that there is justice for Leah and her killer can be found, tried, and convicted. How sad that her sister's infant named after Leah died shortly after being born.

There is always a case or two that really "sticks" with you, that you often randomly think about during your day to day life and really feel sad about, that you hit google to look for updates, and hope beyond hope that you'll find a new answer.

Leah has always been that way for me, but I am finding it less and less likely answers are coming and her case will just collect dust and her story fade. The last few months I haven't even googled her name because I just know she still does not have the justice she deserves.

I was so glad today to sign up here and see that people are still thinking about her, looking at her and her life. Bumping it, keeping it out there and now i hope the person who did this too her see's it, you haven't got away scot free, people do care what happened to Leah and she is in our thoughts.

r.i.p Leah

Thinking of you today. Praying for justice.

Leah, I hope the monster responsible will soon be brought to justice so you can rest in peace. I was in the area the day you were found and have not forgotten the feeling I had when I heard the news. I think about you a lot even though I never had the joy of meeting you. May God rest your beautiful soul. :rose:

Shame on the HPD for botching this case. I truly believe they could have collected more forensic evidence and searched the apartment better, it is pathetic that it took them a week to find her when she was right there! :( Six years too long!

I think of Leah and wonder why, once again, someone is getting away with murder. I have family near there and this hits home. Just a good girl and working her job. Praying for justice Leah.

Interesting to see this pop to the top - I was wondering if someone thought of a possible connection to the two young guys also currently missing in Huntington.

That wasn't why it bumped to the top, but interesting now realizing they all went missing on the 12-14th of December and were all in the 20's-30's age range.

How many more are going to go missing in Huntington w/ odd circumstances?

Bumping this again. There needs to be an update from HPD. How long must we wait? How do we get someone to mention this case in the local newspaper? I'm sorry it's just so sad that no one seems to remember or care.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back