WV - NEAL FALLS, suspected SK - LE seeking link to murders in IL, NV and OR

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
In WV it is safe to safe that as rural as these parts are and seeing as how he was seen from Bridgeport to Charleston days before his death it could be anywhere hidden in a wooded area. Our area is not high in traffic compared to most of the US our state population can show truth in that. He had to have had some place that he left his dog , his wallet etc.

I think the real question isn't where was his wallet but where was his means of finances? The entire time line we have for NF shows us no means of finances, no mention of a bank account which would track him to easily... Therefore his wallet , money and or dog could be anywhere... If we know he passed through Bridgeport days before we could assume he stopped somewhere else to house his belongings before meeting with the charleston woman.

Bridgeport to Charleston is around a 1hour and 45 minute drive... In between the two and is an extremely rural location... Surely if he'd stayed in a hotel/motel for cash it would be documented ... I'm assuming he found somewhere that was not costly and or traceable.

Truck stop. He can shower, eat and sleep in his car there.

Yes! I actually just traveled 79 today ... It's such an easy low profile route... For someone like him I feel as though it would have been nothing to sneak through on multiple occasions.

The picture of the long barrell on the hand gun has me wondering if he also could have used a silencer on a hand gun.
The short answer to that is not likely. A silencer not particularly easy to get back then, Hollywood notwithstanding. Also, it would usually require a threaded barrel.

Plus, a .22 is pretty quiet to begin with.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Truck stop. He can shower, eat and sleep in his car there.

You're absolutely correct that we also must consider truck stops. We also should keep in mind that hitchhikers and prostitutes are known to hang around truck stops.

The short answer to that is not likely. A silencer not particularly easy to get back then, Hollywood notwithstanding. Also, it would usually require a threaded barrel.

Plus, a .22 is pretty quiet to begin with.

Agreed. And to add towards the question on whether NF could have had a suppressor or not, he more than likely didn't. He would require an NFA class 3 license, and if he had that then LE would surely know about it by now.

Agreed. And to add towards the question on whether NF could have had a suppressor or not, he more than likely didn't. He would require an NFA class 3 license, and if he had that then LE would surely know about it by now.

Doubt he had one, but he may have.
There is no need for a NFA Class 3 License

Many people are under the mistaken impression that they need a “Class 3” license in order to own a suppressor. This is not true. If you live in a state where suppressor ownership is legal, and you can legally own a firearm, then you can buy a suppressor.

IS IT LEGAL FOR YOU TO OWN A SILENCER?
The first thing you need to do is determine if suppressor ownership is legal where you live. Currently, the following states allow private ownership of suppressors: AL, AR, AK, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MI, MO, MS, MT, ND, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI, WV, and WY. Even if you live in one of these states, you should verify that owning a suppressor is legal in your area.

silencershop.com

Would still have needed a $200 tax stamp, which back then would've been more than the weapon itself cost.

Now, the caveat there is that the weapon may not have been his.

Regardless, silencers were very uncommon, and nearly unnecessary for a .22 pistol.

Bridgeport is NORTHEASTof charleston. Which means he traveled from texas through charleston (most likely) up to Bridgeport, and then WHERE? Three days after, he was in Charleston. Niagara Falls is a short drive when you have three days to do it. Then back to Charleston by the 18th.

He is also listed but not pictured in the 1987 North Medford High School as a Freshman.

So I double checked the 1986 Klamath Union High School photo, and he is listed as a Freshman there too.

But he does not seem to appear in the 1988 North Medford High School yearbook. I have not located a 1989 yearbook.

This is an interesting progression to me. By the Fall of 1987, he was 18. If he'd only progressed to being a sophomore - and maybe not even that - due to being moved around/not finishing earlier grades/poor performance, then it makes sense that he would've dropped out. He would not have had any sort of connection to school, or the people there.

ETA:
By the way, for those amateur genealogists out there, NMF's dad, Ray, and his family are listed in the Cimarron Co., Oklahoma, 1940 census:
Lovadell Falls, born 1933, Willowbar
[TD="width: 33%"][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TR]
[TD="width: 100%"]Mable Falls, born 1907, Willowbar[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 100%"]O'neal Falls, born 1904, Willowbar[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 100%"]Otes Falls, born 1938, Willowbar[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 100%"]Ray Falls, born 1928, Willowbar[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 100%"]Roy Falls, born 1928, Willowbar
[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 100%"]Verda June Falls, born 1940, Willowbar
[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 100%"]Verl Falls, born 1927, Willowbar
[/TD]
[/TR]
http://oklahoma-genealogy.com/Cimarron-County/Falls.htm

Also, please note that one epitaph shows Roy Falls as being born on Feb. 27, 1928, same as Ray.

The Vegas girl's leg was found in Illinois a week later, however. The distance here stands out.

However, it is inarguable that it is definitely something to look into because the odds are there that a missing leg was found in the area very shortly after NF was known to have established contact in WV; especially given that we are all in consensus that NF would dismember his victim, given the items found in his vehicle.

Big question though, that I think trexian noted earlier: NF was pulled over in Texas and had ID on him. He went to a gun range, and I'm positive NF knows you need money to utilize any gun range's services, therefore leading one to easily conclude that NF had money on him. He had neither at time of death. Now, there's a possibility NF did not take his wallet with him in case it was left at the scene of the crime on accident or something, just as a precaution; but one cannot come to that conclusion without evidence. Question remains, where's NF's wallet?

Heck, where's NF's CLOTHES? Where's his toiletries? If there was evidence that he was sleeping in his car (sleeping bag) why would he remove his clothes and all personal items yet leave the sleeping bag? I find it strange that he at the very least wouldn't have his license on him. With all the times that guy was pulled over (and have you ever heard of anyone being pulled over so often in your life?) you'd think he'd be accustomed to being stopped and showing ID. If he was up to shenanigans, the last thing he'd need would be to be pulled over again and not have any ID on him.

Heck, where's NF's CLOTHES? Where's his toiletries? If there was evidence that he was sleeping in his car (sleeping bag) why would he remove his clothes and all personal items yet leave the sleeping bag? I find it strange that he at the very least wouldn't have his license on him. With all the times that guy was pulled over (and have you ever heard of anyone being pulled over so often in your life?) you'd think he'd be accustomed to being stopped and showing ID. If he was up to shenanigans, the last thing he'd need would be to be pulled over again and not have any ID on him.

I am trying to figure out why he would go there with no ID, credit cards or cash. Like, how would that possibly help him if things went wrong?

This is an interesting progression to me. By the Fall of 1987, he was 18. If he'd only progressed to being a sophomore - and maybe not even that - due to being moved around/not finishing earlier grades/poor performance, then it makes sense that he would've dropped out. He would not have had any sort of connection to school, or the people there.

ETA:
By the way, for those amateur genealogists out there, NMF's dad, Ray, and his family are listed in the Cimarron Co., Oklahoma, 1940 census:

http://oklahoma-genealogy.com/Cimarron-County/Falls.htm

Also, please note that one epitaph shows Roy Falls as being born on Feb. 27, 1928, same as Ray.

The Falls family moved from Oklahoma to Arkansas in 1948, and seemed to stay there until about 1954.

Ray Falls in 1948 at Harding College, Searcy, Arkansas:

Ray Falls Harding College Searcy Arkansas 1948.jpg

Verl Falls in 1952 at Harding College, Searcy, Arkansas:

Verl Falls 1951-1953 Searcy Ark.png

Military headstone application for Roy Falls in 1953, filled out by Mable Falls:

Roy Elmore Falls headstone application.jpg

Otis Falls in 1954 at Harding College, Searcy, Arkansas:

Otis Falls Harding College 1954 Searcy Arkansas.png

I am trying to figure out why he would go there with no ID, credit cards or cash. Like, how would that possibly help him if things went wrong?
My impression was that Neal did have a drivers license on him. Here's a quote from the Charleston News on the day of the incident:

The man died at the scene, according to Cooper. His driver’s license and the license plate on his vehicle indicate he is from Oregon, but police were not releasing his name until they could notify his family.

Unsure if the location NMF was killed has been posted.
It appears to be the area of the alley between 6th & 7th St. along Park Ave.
Google Map
nfloc.jpg

Bing Map

Google Earth Alley image
nfalley.jpg

News photo comparison image
8347793_G.jpg

Location found via news article here.

I have to say, I'm pleased to come into this thread and see everyone working hard to sleuth NF, instead of posting random potential victims and random pit bulls found in WV. If you are trying to find a needle in a haystack, study the haystack. :)

The Falls family moved from Oklahoma to Arkansas in 1948, and seemed to stay there until about 1954.

Apparently that Harding College also had a school associated with it - the Harding Academy. Several of the Falls siblings attended there.

http://digital.harding.edu/yearbooks/1951-52/10_Academy.pdf

Interesting that even back then, there were connections to Oregon.

So, updated...
stillwatersc said:
Plagiarism alert - pulled from everybody's posts

Charleston WV - July 18 2015 assault
Benbrook TX - July 7 2015 ticket
Louisville KY - Oct 2013 ticket
Springfield, Oregon - 2011ish - 2015
Eugene OR - 2010 - 2011 residence
Butler Indiana 2001 Gun permit issued Dec 2001
Henderson NV 2000 - 2008 residence
Albany, Oregon (1998 - ?)
Lebanon, Oregon (1996-1999) Hunting/fishing licenses issued there in 1997 and 1998.
Greensburg, Kansas (1994-1995)
Klamath Falls, Oregon (1986ish-1994ish)
?Coos Bay, Oregon (1990s)? overlap?

Apparently that Harding College also had a school associated with it - the Harding Academy. Several of the Falls siblings attended there.

http://digital.harding.edu/yearbooks/1951-52/10_Academy.pdf

Interesting that even back then, there were connections to Oregon.

So, updated...

Good morning trexian and everyone! trexian, do you think we should add the sighting in WV where NF was inquiring about the public gun range? It sounded like a credible sighting and the guy called CPD to report it. I betcha he also used public libraries to access the internet.

The idea of NF staying in an abandoned house or a hunters cabin has also occurred to me. When does hunting season begin in WV?

Good morning trexian and everyone! trexian, do you think we should add the sighting in WV where NF was inquiring about the public gun range? It sounded like a credible sighting and the guy called CPD to report it. I betcha he also used public libraries to access the internet.
Personally, I do not find it credible. First, I don't do facebook. Second, it is the internet. Third, if Charleston PD confirms that there was a report, then it is credible. Finally, it is still the internet.

I guess, if someone contacts the facebook poster and has a "real" conversation with them, I will defer to that person's credibility assessment.

The idea of NF staying in an abandoned house or a hunters cabin has also occurred to me. When does hunting season begin in WV?
Depends on the season.

Quick googling and deer-archery starts Sept. 26. Deer-firearms basically starts Oct. 22. Deer season basically ends in December. Boar is about the same. Turkey is Oct.-Nov. Migratory birds (ducks, geese) look like Sept. - Jan.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back