GUILTY WV - Skylar Neese, 16, found deceased, Star City, 6 July 2012 * Shoaf denied parole 2023* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

4/26/24

Shoaf’s parole hearing is listed as May 1 on the West Virginia Division of Corrections website.

ETA: In many states, the inmates hearing before the parole board is recorded and also public information. I don't know about the statute in WV but I hope somebody requests the a copy pursuant to WV FOIA.

From the DOC link:

Next Parole Hearing Date​

This is the date the offender will be eligible for parole, this is NOT necessarily the date that the offender will be interviewed by the WV Parole Board. Exact interview dates are not scheduled by the WV Parole Board until two months prior to the parole hearing month. Within this timeframe you may contact the WV Parole Board for the specific interview date. If the offender's current status is parole, then the next parole hearing date is not applicable.

Last edited:

Parole Hearings​

The Parole Board holds monthly onsite hearings at Charleston Correctional Center, Huntington Work Release Center, St. Marys Correctional Center, Pruntytown Correctional Center, Lakin Correctional Center and Huttonsville Correctional Center. All visitors and victims attend the hearings at each individual facility.

[..]

Your PED is the date that the inmate is eligible for parole consideration. This does not mean that the interview will be on that date. Hearings are held once a month for each institution for inmates that are eligible for interview that month. In order to be seen the Parole Board, by law the Board is required to have a certified copy of the Court Order, a post-sentence investigation report, a CIB, a psychological report and an approved home plan.

“Did they think we weren’t going to look for her? Did they think we’d say ‘oh well, she’s gone’? They didn’t think this thing through, but yet at Shoaf’s parole hearing last year she said that ‘I made one mistake, that doesn’t make me a bad person’', said Dave. “What you made, young lady, was a choice, not a mistake. You chose to end someone’s life. That is not your call.”

Published: Jul. 8, 2024 at 8:06 AM PDT|Updated: 14 hours ago

BRIDGEPORT, W.Va (WDTV) - Rachel Shoaf, one of Skylar Neese’s murderers, was denied parole for a second time Monday morning.

More than a decade ago, 16-year-old Skylar was deceived and murdered by Shoaf and Shelia Eddy, who she thought were her friends. The murder occurred outside of Morgantown in 2012.

Prosecutors say when Skylar’s whereabouts were still unknown, Shoaf pretended to help by posting missing person fliers. Several months later, she cracked under pressure and led authorities to where she and Eddy had hidden Skylar’s body.

During the hearing Monday, Shoaf gave a statement with reasons why she thinks she deserves parole, including getting a high school diploma, a bachelor’s degree and working consistently. But, Dave Neese, Skylar’s father, said he doesn’t agree that any work Shoaf has done in prison makes up for what she was convicted of.

State Parole Board denies parole for Skylar Neese killer 7/8/24​

Rachel Shoaf was last before a parole board on May 9, 2023. Much like last year’s decision, the parole board Monday morning denied Shoaf parole, while the Neese family listened.

[..]

The parole board deliberated for about 10 minutes and told Shoaf that a write-up since her last hearing and a lack of a home plan were their primary reasons for denying parole. The board told her to come to her next hearing, which could be as soon as June 2025, without any write-ups if she wants parole.

[..]

Shoaf and Eddy are both being held in the Lakin Correctional Center. A podcast recently explored what prison life is like for the two of them.

Shoaf’s projected release date is April 30, 2028, according to West Virginia Division of Corrections and Rehabilitation records. Those same records show as of Monday that Eddy’s eligible for a parole hearing starting in May of 2028.

4/16/24

During Chapter 8 of the podcast, titled “Why? Why? Why?” hosts Justine Harman and Holly Millea talk to Stormy Wilson, a 46-year-old who served time in the Lakin Correctional Center in Mason County, West Virginia alongside Eddy and Shoaf.

[..]

Wilson said that because the case was so high profile, Lakin’s “two most famous inmates” also receive “stacks and stacks of fan mail.” Wilson said because of their fans, even if their families were not in the picture, Eddy and Shoaf would “never be without.”

[..]

Shoaf, who admitted during her parole hearing last year that she and Eddy killed Skylar because they were in a secret relationship and feared being found out, even got married while in prison. Although there is no physical contact allowed between inmates, “Three” said that Shoaf fell in love with her cellmate, Amy. They got married after Amy was released but divorced in 2022.

[..]

Wilson said that Eddy “thrives” in prison and has tons of friends.

“It’s sad that she has her own little, like, colony. She’s like the queen ant,” Wilson said while being interviewed on the podcast.

As for Shoaf, Wilson said, “I don’t think she’s going to survive anywhere.”

Do you believe the recent excuse for Skylars murder? I do not. I think it is something made up to invoke sympathy and gay rights are a big topic currently. Although that could be the case now that they both are in an all female prison for a long time, hopefully.

Edit - This info was given at the end of the 20/20 episode tonight.
Yes and no. Yes only because it's the most plausible motive anyone's put forth so far, which isn't saying much. No because Skylar wasn't REALLY a threat to expose their secret, aside from some tweets made when they were arguing that any rational teenager wouldn't have taken seriously. She just seemed to be like, "Dude, I'm 5 feet away, get a room."

State Parole Board denies parole for Skylar Neese killer 7/8/24​

Rachel Shoaf was last before a parole board on May 9, 2023. Much like last year’s decision, the parole board Monday morning denied Shoaf parole, while the Neese family listened.

[..]

The parole board deliberated for about 10 minutes and told Shoaf that a write-up since her last hearing and a lack of a home plan were their primary reasons for denying parole. The board told her to come to her next hearing, which could be as soon as June 2025, without any write-ups if she wants parole.

[..]

Shoaf and Eddy are both being held in the Lakin Correctional Center. A podcast recently explored what prison life is like for the two of them.

Shoaf’s projected release date is April 30, 2028, according to West Virginia Division of Corrections and Rehabilitation records. Those same records show as of Monday that Eddy’s eligible for a parole hearing starting in May of 2028.
She was denied (partially) due to a "lack of a home plan"? They actually keep people locked up for that? It's not a hotel. In her case, she hasn't served enough time anyway, but she's going to get out at some point, and her survival instinct should kick in.

She was denied (partially) due to a "lack of a home plan"? They actually keep people locked up for that? It's not a hotel. In her case, she hasn't served enough time anyway, but she's going to get out at some point, and her survival instinct should kick in.
Given the board suggested Shoaf return next year without any 'write-ups' if she wants parole, I believe the disciplinary action also weighed heavy here. No excuse for Shoaf not to have completed her home plan as I believe they are mandatory in every state. Again, another example of one who doesn't think the rules apply to her.

Home Plan Status | Department of Corrections | Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

Given the board suggested Shoaf return next year without any 'write-ups' if she wants parole, I believe the disciplinary action also weighed heavy here. No excuse for Shoaf not to have completed her home plan as I believe they are mandatory in every state. Again, another example of one who doesn't think the rules apply to her.

Home Plan Status | Department of Corrections | Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
Yeah, I'm sure the write-ups were the biggest part. The home plan i didn't know was always a requirement (unfamiliar with the process); I thought they just asked her where she was going to live and she said something like, "Uhh, like, in a house?" Her own fault there.

Ideally, she just gets denied again and again and serves as long as Eddy. Since they were minors, I doubt they'll serve life. But I hate hearing that "Shelia was the ringleader" (mainly from the media)... Based on what? Her personality type? BS. There was never a clear motive established, but we know which one was more motivated to kill because one of them felt regret later on. Uh huh. Seems like they either bought her defense attorney's spin (not faulting them, they had to find some way to make her sympathetic) or they're trying to justify the lighter sentence.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back