inside detective_Page_7.jpg
    795.4 KB · Views: 119
  • inside detective_Page_8.jpg
    inside detective_Page_8.jpg
    665.1 KB · Views: 119
  • inside detective_Page_9.jpg
    inside detective_Page_9.jpg
    408.2 KB · Views: 114
Granddaughter, near the bottom of the index page you will see chat. Go into chat and ask for a mod. The mods here are great about helping with various problems and are computer whizzes.
The other option is to go into forum finesse and post the problem, and someone will answer. But that sometimes takes longer, though they do monitor that and tend to answer it pretty quickly.

shadowangel said:
Great job!!!! This is such a disturbing and mysterious story....Five people just don't disappear!!! Strange, though, I don't remember the sign looking like that...maybe they did put up a new sign? I (kind of) remember the sign having the painted faces of the children down the left side...However, it was several years ago....
I too recall a bullitanboard with the faces of several children in square boxes going down the left side. I recall these children were missing. Here is the odd thing I have never been in WV in my life. I am also too young to have seen this sign back in the 60's. This sign frightened me as a young child. Thats all I recall of it.

mjak

Jennie, Can you tell us where the children were sleeping that night. Everything in the reports leads us to believe they were all in one room. However, Mr. Sodder is quoted as saying the girls were sleeping in the room at the back which makes me think Maurice and Louis were supposed to be in the same room as John and George. Is that correct?

I can't bring up the detective magazine either.

Shadow205 said:
I don't know if this has been posted before, if it has I'm sorry for posting it again. George Sodder did change his name when he came into America from Italy. It was "Soddu". I have been using the variation in my searching too. The only thing confusing about this info is that it states that he married Maria Cipriani in stead of Jennie Cipriani. Maybe her name was Maria Jennie or Jennie Maria? Other than that, it looks like that was posted by a relative in Italy.

I found this on a genealogy message board:

Re: Family History
Author: adelaide Date: 23 Aug 2003 12:45 PM GMT
Surnames: Dessena Adelaide Ignazia Lalla
Classification: Query

Our grand father Salvatore Soddu had a brother, is name was Giorgio, he goes in USA west virginia in beginning 1900, he was 16 years old.He changed his surname in Sodder, we have a photo of George family (1960),he had five soons,and his wife's name was Maria Cipriani. We live in Italy, Sardegna in a little village Tula in Sassari's provincia. We are Ignazia,Adelaide e Lalla Dessena our mother is Anna Maria Soddu.Sorry for our english. Is the person that you are looking for? bye bye

This is a response to a post that I started on Ancestry.com years ago. I recieved a response to this and tried to e-mail the person who posted this and the e-mail came back as non-deliverable. There is a huge geneology research center in Florence, Itlay that I visited years ago and found a lot of information, but I didn't have enough time to really did into it and write it down.

They got the name Maria wrong whoever posted this...It is just odd that their e-mail does not work anymore.

fox1950 said:
Jennie, Can you tell us where the children were sleeping that night. Everything in the reports leads us to believe they were all in one room. However, Mr. Sodder is quoted as saying the girls were sleeping in the room at the back which makes me think Maurice and Louis were supposed to be in the same room as John and George. Is that correct?

I can't bring up the detective magazine either.

Of what my grandfather, John, told me....

The children were up later than ususal that night becasue it was Christmas Eve and they were listening to the radio for Santa's arrival. Marion was with them for a short while, but fell asleep on the couch. John and George were already in bed in the boys room becasue they worked the entire day.

When John and George were woken by their mother, startled, they ran downstairs. After reaching the rest of the family outside (George Sr., Jennie, Marion, Sylvia). They realized the children were not with them. They tried to get back into the house, but it was too hot and impossible. They then tried to get a ladder and put it up to the children's rooms but the ladder was gone. George Sr, John, and George all tried to get back into the house again and were burned in the process.

For weeks the family greived their death. It was not for several weeks that questions started being asked which led to the conclusion that the children did not die in the house. They were kidnapped.

shadowangel said:
"Jennie" may have been a name she took upon immigrating here.

Mussolini's Vice Minister of War prior to WWII was Umbaldo Soddu. He was appointed by Mussolini to lead the offensive against Greece in '40-'41. I've read here that one of the theories of what may have happened to the children involved supporters of Mussolini.

Just thinking out loud, once again.

Interesting....very interesting. I found that the name Soddu in my research is not a widely used name in Italy. I am very curious about this link now. Where did you find this information? I am curious where Umbaldo was from in Italy.

The first mention of Umbaldo Soddu I found was in Wikipedia's entry on the Italian-Greek conflict of '40-'41. Since then, I have found several mentions of him in NewspaperArchives.com. I will compile the articles and post what I am able to discover about him.

I spent last night reading through this whole thread. What an intresting and sad case.
My feeling after reading the whole thread is that sadly the children probably did
perish in the fire. Remember forensic science was very very basic back then. What does make we wonder if there isn't more to this story is the actions of the fire chief. The man who buried the beef liver? This is very disturbing to me. That plus the fact there was no response to the fire until the next day and then little was done to the area after the fire. These actions or lack of actions do make me suspicious. Stacy Horn or a family memeber has anyone been able to get hold of police or fire records from back then that might document the odd behavior of this person? I am curious.

mjak

Ubaldo Soddu (the first entry I found spelled the first name incorrectly) was born July 23rd, in either 1883 or 1889-I tend toward 1883, in Salerno. There seems to be a concentration of the name "Soddu" in this area.

I may have missed it, but...is the property available for an excavation? Couldn't a college-based anthropology group be contacted to see if they could or would be interested in this?

T'sNana said:
I may have missed it, but...is the property available for an excavation? Couldn't a college-based anthropology group be contacted to see if they could or would be interested in this?
Working on it...

T'sNana said:
I was thinking the same thing about an anthropology group . Excavation has been talked about on the thread and LE feels it would be senseless due to the fact bones could have been added or taken away.

I don't agree. I can't see how it would benefit anyone in the town to remove bones or add them since DNA would be performed. I think this would provide a great opportunity to solve this case once and for all... or atleast answer some questions.

If this were my land I would be the first one to initiate calls to colleges or other interested parties.

Not a stupid question at all. Shadowangel & I are trying to drum up some interest within the anthropology departments at 2 Universities here in WV. I think it could be quite a class project.

I think that's great....good thinking!
Shadow205 said:
Not a stupid question at all. Shadowangel & I are trying to drum up some interest within the anthropology departments at 2 Universities here in WV. I think it could be quite a class project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Painauchocolat2024