WV - Sodder Family - 5 children, Christmas eve 1945 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if you have considered putting up another billboard, but here is a resource that might be useful. Yes I know that the family had one up for years. But now we are a couple of generations later. Many of the persons who may have been involved are dead. Many are very elderly, probably not considered prosecutable as they may be in nursing homes, etc. A billboard put up years later may prompt a guilty concious, may prompt now grown family members to come forward. Anyway, it is just a thought and I have a possible resource for that.
http://www.unresolvedhomicides.org/about.html

Has anyone read the book Last Mountain Dancer by Chuck Kinder? Has something in it about the Sodder family. Haven't got to read it yet but thinking about buying it.

Hello Everyone!

I was registered here before, but haven't been here in quite a while and I had to register again.

I have been reading this fascinating and terribly sad case. I see that some posters do not consider abduction a la Georgia Tann a possibility.
I know that searching orphanage records is a huge, if not impossible, undertaking, but I think abduction for adoption is a very real possibility.

I know it's a longshot, but it just keeps coming to my mind when I think of this particular case.:waitasec:

To answer the questions poised on the first websleuths board, the children's pictures were in the detective magazine. Each individual picture was in the magazine along with a picture of the board. Wonder if anyone has anything new to say--Hope the thread doesn't die. :)

I have been interested in this case since I was a little girl. I live right outside of Summersville in Mount Nebo. This is just a bit north of Fayetteville. For years we lived in Wyoming County and would pass the billboard each weekend as we came home to Nicholas County to visit. Seldom did we pass by that I didn't insist mom stop to let me read and look at the pictures. In 1977 we moved back here for good and didn't have occasion to pass by anymore. I never forgot the billboard but I did forget the name. I have asked friends and family and no one could remember the family name. Recently I was reading on a message board at the Raleigh newspaper and saw a thread about this case which eventually led me here!!!!!!!! :D I was so excited to see this thread and to realize it was current and active. I am trying to read all I can to get caught up and to remind myself of the facts I'd forgotten. I did notice on here that a granddaughter of the Sodder family was supposed to start a web site and wondered if there were any new info on this? Sure am glad to be among others interested in the same thing!

LButler said:
drema....what great stuff you've posted!! I haven't gotten my mag yet, but it has been shipped - hopefully tomorrow!!

Here are some of my "renewed" thoughts after looking through the new posts. I have always felt in my heart that Maurice was probably killed. I hate to post that, but a 15 year old boy used to farm work and manual labor could really put up a fight. I hope I'm 100% wrong on that one. I don't believe he was in the fire that night because of all the kids, he would have had the largest bones and would have been easier to locate some remains??

Jbandy....I'm in Summersville and have a somewhat open schedule. I would love to help out with some of your research in Fayetteville. If you're interested, PM me and I'll give you my contact info so you can get in touch when you want to.[/QUOTE]

Lbutler,
I was just wondering if you and Jbandy were able to connect. Any updates? Do you know if he is still in Fayetteville?

I bought the book "Last Mountain Dancer" by Chuck Kinder. The chapter on the Sodder children is "Missing Angels". There is just one thing that I found new and interesting in the book. It talks of Mr. Sodder's heated arguments with the Italy community of the area and speaks of him once receiving a paper with a black hand drawn on it. It does not say how he received this peice of paper, through the mail, given to him, etc. Has anyone heard that before? Also it tells of how his wife was so saddened about the story and Mrs. Sodder once saying that if her children were dead she would know it. She would be able to feel it. His wife agreed with what Mrs. Sodder had said over the years.

I got an email this morning from Jennie(Grand-daughter). Her and her brother are still working on the website and have come up with some new things to post. She said that it is some stuff that they found at her Aunts house. They have been very busy with work and have not been able to get the information scanned and ready to go up yet but are working on it. So for now, everyone who has an interest in the Sodder Family mystery, just sit tight.

fox1950 said:
I bought the book "Last Mountain Dancer" by Chuck Kinder. The chapter on the Sodder children is "Missing Angels". There is just one thing that I found new and interesting in the book. It talks of Mr. Sodder's heated arguments with the Italy community of the area and speaks of him once receiving a paper with a black hand drawn on it. It does not say how he received this peice of paper, through the mail, given to him, etc. Has anyone heard that before? Also it tells of how his wife was so saddened about the story and Mrs. Sodder once saying that if her children were dead she would know it. She would be able to feel it. His wife agreed with what Mrs. Sodder had said over the years.
[size=+2]Black Hand[/size] symbol and name for a criminal and terroristic secret society, and especially associated with the Mafia and the Camorra. The Black Hand flourished in Sicily in the late 19th cent., and in the United States it was especially active in New York City at the beginning of the 20th cent. It is estimated that at one time 90% of New York City’s Italian population was blackmailed by letters threatening death and marked with a black hand. Famous incidents associated with the Black Hand include the murder (1890) in New Orleans of chief of police Daniel Hennessy and the shooting (1909), in Palermo, Italy, of Lt. Joseph Petrosino of the New York City police.

I just have to comment here... the Italian mafia WAS a big deal back then... As a young man, my grandfather came over from Italy via the Italian Navy and jumped ship when it came into NY port... Later years, he ran an auto body shop in Jersey and had to pay / play with the mafia and their rules. When my Mom married Pop they even had the mafia at their wedding!

To the Italian immigrants the Mafia played a big part of their lives back then...

Shadow205 said:
[size=+2]Black Hand[/size] symbol and name for a criminal and terroristic secret society, and especially associated with the Mafia and the Camorra. The Black Hand flourished in Sicily in the late 19th cent., and in the United States it was especially active in New York City at the beginning of the 20th cent. It is estimated that at one time 90% of New York City’s Italian population was blackmailed by letters threatening death and marked with a black hand. Famous incidents associated with the Black Hand include the murder (1890) in New Orleans of chief of police Daniel Hennessy and the shooting (1909), in Palermo, Italy, of Lt. Joseph Petrosino of the New York City police.

Magicrose99,

I know that the Mafia was a big deal back in that time. It also had a strong hold in WV as we dicussed in great depth earlier in this thread. There had been mention of a man who was upset with George over him speaking out against Mussolini but this is the first that I heard of George actually receiving the black hand. Very interesting Fox.

Welcome to WS!
TeeGeeWiz said:
I have been interested in this case since I was a little girl. I live right outside of Summersville in Mount Nebo. This is just a bit north of Fayetteville. For years we lived in Wyoming County and would pass the billboard each weekend as we came home to Nicholas County to visit. Seldom did we pass by that I didn't insist mom stop to let me read and look at the pictures. In 1977 we moved back here for good and didn't have occasion to pass by anymore. I never forgot the billboard but I did forget the name. I have asked friends and family and no one could remember the family name. Recently I was reading on a message board at the Raleigh newspaper and saw a thread about this case which eventually led me here!!!!!!!! :D I was so excited to see this thread and to realize it was current and active. I am trying to read all I can to get caught up and to remind myself of the facts I'd forgotten. I did notice on here that a granddaughter of the Sodder family was supposed to start a web site and wondered if there were any new info on this? Sure am glad to be among others interested in the same thing!

Hello all. I am starting to really dive into the material that I have. My goal this month is to list and sort out the players in the story and try to talk to the relatives of the players.

Jennie....I found the suitcase...all it had in it were really old newspaper clippings (I will copy and sent to Aunt Sylvia) I am trying to find copies of the originals...but the dates on most were not on them....and I also found some distorted photos....I am trying to see if I can get them refurbished.

Shadow...I PM'ed you....let me know if you are still interested in helping.

The one thing that I cannot place my finger on is the Dectective Magazine...can someone please copy the article and mail/e-mail it to me? I would really appreciate it.

I am going to be talking with my other family members about the story too...there are a lot of other great-grandchildren other the myself and Jennie. I thought this would allow for something that we are all missing to come out.

Stacy...Is there a time that we could have a phone conference?

I have also mailed a letter to the possible family member in Italy... A friend translated it for me....I asked for the family photo that she said she had....so if anything turns up there....it may help...

Thank you all for continued interest in this story....I really really appreciate it.

Jonathan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member