WV - Sodder Family - 5 children, Christmas eve 1945 - #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay listen I'm not saying the lines were old back than. Nor am I saying that they started the fire. What I am saying is that the lines were made of different material than they are made of today, I am sure. Secondly, my suggestion is that because it was a rainy night, there could have been lightening which struck the line, (where it was supposedly cut). Because of the material they used back than, could it be possible for the line to have sparked if the lightening hit it directly, and sent the spark all the way down the line, and to the house where it was connected for the phone.
If that were the case, the family would have heard and felt the lightening strike and that would have been mentioned. There's no way lightening could have struck the house directly and nobody would have heard it.

I'm talking about it hitting the phone line not the house directly. But that's okay let's let it go. Everyone says it could not have happened so let's drop that theory. I'm okay with that guys.

Originally Posted by christine2448
Getting close to the holidays. Would like to see this case on front page news again. Was trying to find it, shadow205 worked tirelessly on this and got it in news on christmas before, and I know I have emails w/reporters relating. I am searching......

Anybody try Channel 59 news wvns http://www.wvnstv.com/

Sometimes they pretty good on showing Cold Case's..

As much shadow205 and some other's got on this case they could easy make a hour special show just on this case..

Getting close to the holidays. Would like to see this case on front page news again. Was trying to find it, shadow205 worked tirelessly on this and got it in news on christmas before, and I know I have emails w/reporters relating. I am searching......

As much shadow205 and some other's got on this case they could easy make a hour special show just on this case..

Good idea! I will write them. I sent email reporter who did previous story. Will update you as I am!

Done! Thanks.

Great job Christine and wv171!

Raf and Fox, good point about Jimmie. You're probably right... I'll check to see what I have about Jimmie and why I had thought he might have had kids in Fl.

I give you all the area news outlets if you need them..

But Channel 59 news is the only one I ever seen really interested in cold case's..

I saw where Shadow 205 got Beckley newspaper to do a story , That about only newspaper I seen will do cold case's in this area..

Birdie --- I could see why you think that is a good possibility. I am wondering about that too. It is entirely possible the family took the children, although I can't fathom a good reason. But a lot of evidence seems to point that way. Can anyone think of a reason that they might have been taken by family?

Mom recalls that Jimmy Cipriani married, but she doesn't think he had any children. He may have adopted a child later in life.

As far as the trucking business, I think the references to hauling coal is an anachronism. By the time most of the articles were written, he was hauling coal. I don't guess any of us ever focused on that as a significant detail, although now you guys have focused on things none of us (or the paid detectives) had ever caught. Since he had dump trucks, he certainly could have delivered loads of coal for businesses, but it was not the focus of his business at the time.

The electric lines were definitely cut and not hit by lightning. Interesting though, as a small tree next to the house survived the fire. Many years later, when I was a girl, the tree was hit by lightning and survived. The energy traveled out through the roots and broke the mortar in a circular brick path my grandmother had placed around the base of the tree. The tree lived though both the fire and the lightning, and it was still there when my grandmother moved from her house to ours. I wonder if it's still alive. I know, it's entirely irrelevant to this website, but that lightning strike always fascinated me. So it was odd to see that idea just pop up here, out of the blue.

Thanks for all that you do on this website.

The photo was not the right one. *Sighs* I am so sorry to granddaughter for sending the wrong one. I will try again. The pose was wrong. Granddaughter, could you please give us some insight as to why the family in Florida was suspected of having the children? Was there some issues between your family and theirs? Did they have a reason to want to take the children?

Thanks

Hi, I know not if this article can be interesting:

Cortez Bridge Tender’s House
4319 127th Street West, Cortez, Florida

Circa 1910
Threat: Development
The original bridge from Cortez to Anna Maria Island was completed in 1922. It extended from Cortez Road which was at that time called Bradentown Street on the Amended Addition to Cortez Plat. John Guthrie was the bridge tender for many years and is shown as the bridge tender in the 1930 census for Manatee County and probably built this house. F.T. and Mary Guthrie purchased the property from the Georgia Florida Land Company on December 5, 1913. Lena Durrance purchased the property on September 26, 1916 from F.T. and Mary Guthrie. John W. Guthrie married Lena Durrance on December 26, 1916 in Manatee County. The Gutheries, John W. and Lena sold the property on December 30, 1938 to Amerigo Giannini and Frenchi Cipriani. The property remained in the Cipriani family until it was sold with other holdings to the Bay Boat Company on December 22, 1995 and in turn sold to PND LLC September 13, 2002. In 1963, it was listed as a store and restaurant.
source
Amerigo Giannini (birth: 1907 abt -Falls, WV), wife: Julie Giannini ( birth: 4 Aug 1909 Argentina; imm. 1921;Death: 1976 - Smithers, WV; daughter of italian parents; mother name: Antonia Regis; children of Amerigo and Julie Giannini: 2 sons-John Paul Giannini and Macy Giannini ; and 1 daughter----) was the brother in law of Francesco Paolo Cipriani ( Frank Cipriani/Franchi Cipriani); Amerigo was the son of M. and Olivia/Alesia Giannini; sibling: Louisa Giannini Cipriani; and Julia Giannini...
so Frank Cipriani was in business with the brother in law...

regards,
raf

Thank you raf. Frank and Amerigo apparently owned the property for a few years together, though it looks like Amerigo never lived in Florida. A few years later, his share was transferred from his and his wife's name to Frank's wife's name. I don't have the info in front of me at the moment, but I believe it was around 1942.

This article caused me some confusion because I thought this Cortez Bridge Tender House would be the property in front of the bridge where Alma died. This made me very suspicious, but it turned out to be a different piece of property. The Ciprianis owned the old tender house property from years before, and the bridge location had apparently moved by the time of her death.

Ok, I haven't read every thread here to get caught up on the story.

But has anyone ever asked any questions to the two boys who survived from coming down from the attic?

Were their brothers and sisters still even up there? Did they notice any strange activity in the attic?

Hi coltsgal, I'm sure questions were asked of the two boys that survived and came down from upstairs. I'm paraphrasing an article that is here on the forum and I will link it afterward... the boys weren't able to wake them in their rush, one remembered calling to Maurice and thought he heard him either move or make noise. But in the rush and panic - afterward he wasn't sure.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=936324&postcount=460 This is to the magazine article that was uploaded by "granddaughter". The area of the article we're talking about is below the line of the children's pictures and to the right of the the picture of the the new house that was built.

Tomorrow will be the 63rd anniversary of this tragedy. Sodder family, you're in my thoughts and prayers.

Hi All,
just stumbled on this case while searching the internet for unsolved crimes in wv ( I am from Huntington,wv) The case interest me and I was wondering if there had ever been any books written on this Case? i googled the sodder children but, all i could find was articles and such on the story. Is there a book anywhere? And if so where can I order it online?

JoAnn

Hi All,
just stumbled on this case while searching the internet for unsolved crimes in wv ( I am from Huntington,wv) The case interest me and I was wondering if there had ever been any books written on this Case? i googled the sodder children but, all i could find was articles and such on the story. Is there a book anywhere? And if so where can I order it online?

JoAnn

Welcome to websleuths msmikey! I've not read it myself but seen mention of it here and elsewhere: “West Virginia Unsolved Murders,” by George and Melody Bragg. I don't know if it is available online or not but if you are still in WV or perhaps even a neighboring state I'd check the library. If you're set on purchasing try googling the title and/or authors names; perhaps they have a site set up for sales of it???

Glad you found websleuths!

Hi All,

JoAnn
Here is their website: Gem Publications and Photography - www.coalphotos.com
The Mystery of the Sodder Children • And Many More... West Virginia Unsolved Murders Book II featuring: • The WVU Coed Murders • Cop Killer Ronald Williams ...

when Joseph CIPRIANI came in USA the first time, nobody final destination listed... in 1903 he back in Italy, and in 1905 came in USA again and alone; final destination Massimino LIZZI brother in law, Pittsburg, PA; in 1907 Francesco Cipriani joining at Giuseppe father in Pittsburg, the child was in travel with Francesco TAMMISO ( I believe that the correct italian spell is CAMMISA), single, 25 old, cousin of Giuseppe/Joseph CIPRIANI...

it is possible that someone of Lizzi or Tammiso family knew something abt Sodder abductions?
It could be possible to find some descendent of this families?
Regards,
raf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members