WV WV - Sodder Family - 5 children, Christmas eve 1945 - #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
"The Fire Marshall advising George not to bulldoze the site."

Wouldn't that indicate that the FM wanted to preserve evidence?

"Too many incidents here tells me that this was arson, and that the children were kidnapped."

Kidnapped and then what? They would not remain children forever. Are you saying that the kidnappers would have held the kids for 72 years?

"The Fire Marshall advising George not to bulldoze the site."

Wouldn't that indicate that the FM wanted to preserve evidence?

"Too many incidents here tells me that this was arson, and that the children were kidnapped."

Kidnapped and then what? They would not remain children forever. Are you saying that the kidnappers would have held the kids for 72 years?

I could see the Fire Marshall wanting to pressure evidence, yes. But the memories for the surviving Sodders were far too painful. Sadly, I believe that the children were held captive, but than killed. If they did die in the fire, where are their remains? This poor family didn't even get any closure for what happened to their kids! And at Christmas time. A good point raised about the kids dying in the fire. To have no contact with the family for so many years. A community question, do you believe the picture of Louis really is him, or a hoax? Strange that the investigator that George hired to visit Kentucky to find out where the letter had been postmarked was never heard from again. (The name of the city was not released by the Sodder's tp protect Louis, if it could be him.) Also trying to find out who "Frankie" is mentioned on the back of the photo.

Satch

First, a lot of this stuff comes from George Sodder who refused to believe his children died. So everything is filtered through a certain level of bias.

For example the life-insurance agent saying that George's home would burn and his children destroyed when when George wouldn't purchase a policy from him.

That sounds like what a salesman would say to make a sale, "what happens if there is a fire?" Most insurance company commercials even today are variants of this ("things are great since I had insurance/things are awful since I didn't".)

Death certificates issued for the children only five days after the fire.

Why is this suspicious? They thought the kids were dead.

The same person on the review board that determined the fire caused by faulty wiring, despite the lights in the house and Christmas tree lights remaining on during the fire for a long time.

I'm not sure how you'd tell that the lights on the Christmas tree were on when there is a blazing fire going on in the house. I see this pop up a lot but it sounds like a bit of an urban legend to me. It's also possible depending on how the wiring was hooked up that faulty wiring in one part of the house could have caused a fire but the rest of the house was not affected - Christmas trees are a great example of this, look at all the fires that used to get started with the old-style lights, but the power was on in the rest of the house.

The Fire Marshall advising George not to bulldoze the site.

Which seems like a good idea just in general if they hadn't searched the rubble yet.

All of this points to arson and cover-up. This was no accident or faulty wiring.

Disagree. Accidental fires happen every day.

Even the ladder not in its proper place to rescue the children upstairs.

Or maybe the ladder was used by Mr. Sodder in his work, he forgot to put it back in place, and he felt guilty.

This spells way too many avenues that somebody for whatever reason, hated George Sodder and wanted him and his family dead.

My fear is that somebody in George's family had strong connections back in Italy with the Italian Mafia.

OK, I hear the Mafia thing all the time, but here's the thing: most Italians and Italian-Americans hate the Mafia. They are the ones most historically victimized. An honest, law-abiding Italian-American growing up in a neighborhood dominated by the ****s is going to hate their guts, just like any honest, law-abiding citizen is going to hate the thieves and murderers who they have to live with.

So an Italian-American hating the Mafia? The Mafia doesn't care. If they took out a contract against everyone who hated them, Staten Island would be piled high with corpses.

This power over the years, could have been found out by a local and prominent West Virginia politician, who may have spread horrible rumors about George, because they hated his opinionated and out-spoken political views against people such as Italian dictator Mussolini.

This was December 1945. Mussolini hadn't been Prime Minister of Italy for over two years, and when he was kicked out, the Italians celebrated. He was finally murdered in April of 1945. Nobody was going to hunt down an outspoken Italian-American who hated Mussolini in late 1945.

Anger and prejudice against George spread throughout the community, by perhaps a very small, but powerful group of people who had bad connections with revenge-seeking people. The family may have faced strong stereotypes, jump-started by these group of people, and they got the innocent locals to believe the terrible rumors.

So kill George. If that's who they hate, why didn't they kill George? It's not like it would have been particularly difficult if the community was against him, we still don't know who exactly killed Ken McElroy.

Start a fire Christmas Eve Night. In addition to items being moved (the ladder) or not starting, (both office trucks.) I believe that the children were taken by several people at gun or knife point. The Sodder's daughter Sylvia, found a grande like object in the yard.

Sylvia was two. I don't know many two year olds who know what a hand grenade looks like. I would guess it's more likely she saw something and George's overactive imagination and belief in a conspiracy theory made the pine cone she saw turn into a hand grenade. Also hand grenades don't start fires.

Witness reports of the children being seen in a passing car, as the fire was in progress!

Or maybe they were other kids.

The reports of four of the children being seen by an inn-keeper a few days after the fire, but when this person tried to talk to them, they were given a look of hate by the man in the group and refused to speak.

The story is that someone thought they saw a family who was speaking Italian, and got the stink-eye when they tried speaking to the kids. The kids were old enough to speak English, they certainly would have learned it in school so they could have cried out for help in English. I doubt the average West Virginian at the time would even know what Italian sounds like (as opposed to Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian, Catalan, or even some dialects of French). And if they were speaking Italian, then it probably wasn't the kids since Sardinian is a different language than Italian, and George would have spoken Sardinian at home.

And finally, while I do not know this for sure, I think if a Websleuther was out with their family and some stranger tried to talk to their kids, they'd get a mouthful and for good reason.

First, a lot of this stuff comes from George Sodder who refused to believe his children died. So everything is filtered through a certain level of bias.

That sounds like what a salesman would say to make a sale, "what happens if there is a fire?" Most insurance company commercials even today are variants of this ("things are great since I had insurance/things are awful since I didn't".)

I'm not sure how you'd tell that the lights on the Christmas tree were on when there is a blazing fire going on in the house. I see this pop up a lot but it sounds like a bit of an urban legend to me. It's also possible depending on how the wiring was hooked up that faulty wiring in one part of the house could have caused a fire but the rest of the house was not affected - Christmas trees are a great example of this, look at all the fires that used to get started with the old-style lights, but the power was on in the rest of the house.

Which seems like a good idea just in general if they hadn't searched the rubble yet.

Or maybe the ladder was used by Mr. Sodder in his work, he forgot to put it back in place, and he felt guilty.

OK, I hear the Mafia thing all the time, but here's the thing: most Italians and Italian-Americans hate the Mafia. They are the ones most historically victimized. An honest, law-abiding Italian-American growing up in a neighborhood dominated by the ****s is going to hate their guts, just like any honest, law-abiding citizen is going to hate the thieves and murderers who they have to live with.

So an Italian-American hating the Mafia? The Mafia doesn't care. If they took out a contract against everyone who hated them, Staten Island would be piled high with corpses.

This was December 1945. Mussolini hadn't been Prime Minister of Italy for over two years, and when he was kicked out, the Italians celebrated. He was finally murdered in April of 1945. Nobody was going to hunt down an outspoken Italian-American who hated Mussolini in late 1945.

So kill George. If that's who they hate, why didn't they kill George? It's not like it would have been particularly difficult if the community was against him, we still don't know who exactly killed Ken McElroy.

Sylvia was two. I don't know many two year olds who know what a hand grenade looks like. I would guess it's more likely she saw something and George's overactive imagination and belief in a conspiracy theory made the pine cone she saw turn into a hand grenade. Also hand grenades don't start fires.

The story is that someone thought they saw a family who was speaking Italian, and got the stink-eye when they tried speaking to the kids. The kids were old enough to speak English, they certainly would have learned it in school so they could have cried out for help in English. I doubt the average West Virginian at the time would even know what Italian sounds like (as opposed to Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian, Catalan, or even some dialects of French). And if they were speaking Italian, then it probably wasn't the kids since Sardinian is a different language than Italian, and George would have spoken Sardinian at home.

And finally, while I do not know this for sure, I think if a Websleuther was out with their family and some stranger tried to talk to their kids, they'd get a mouthful and for good reason.
I agree with most of your points. I do think that the fire might have been arson, but I believe that the children perished in the fire regardless of whether it was arson.

I agree with most of your points. I do think that the fire might have been arson, but I believe that the children perished in the fire regardless of whether it was arson.

Could have been arson, but I'd be interested to know what data on house fires back then showed. I'm guessing code standards were a lot looser back then they are now. I'm old enough to remember people talking about putting pennies in the fuse box so that the fuse wouldn't blow - and that resulted in a lot of fires being started.

Could be a true point.

Bit hasty with no body parts.

Depends where the fire was. If the fire was upstairs and the Christmas tree lights were on downstairs, you would know those lights were working.

Agreed.

Agree that they do. I just don't think this was one of them.

Maybe. But it's just my opinion that's not what happened. Too many coincidences.

BBM. So this fire would have been them being victimized?

What would cause more pain for George, his own death or the death of his children? I would guess that latter. However, whose to say he wasn't meant to die in that fire?

Sylvia was 3 at the time. And I don't think anyone asked Sylvia what it was. I think this object was passed on to some kind of expert to determine what it was.

Maybe. Maybe not.

BBM. Could they have cried out for help if they feared for their lives?

It depends what they were saying? I don't believe for a second that every parent gives a mouthful just because a stranger interacts with their child. This happens a lot, there is not always something sinister about it. That's a ridiculously over protective parent statement. If we are out with the children, esp when we have the dog with us, lots of people talk to us and the children. Unless they were saying something they shouldn't be or trying to keep me out of the loop, it's fine.

It's ok, we don't all agree. Imagine how boring it would be if we did? :)

Here's the other thing of many things bizarre about this case,

You wonder if the kids were gone, taken away before the fire started? If you believe arson and the kids were kidnapped. Let's try the accidental faulty wiring theory If the fire started on the roof as many of the surviving family members believe and the kids who perished are downstairs, why wouldn't there be screaming from downstairs that the family upstairs should have heard?

If the fire started upstairs, wouldn't that give the kids time to escape out the front door? Now if this was an accident, what do you think the banging sound and rolling noise could have been that Mrs. Sodder heard? If it is ever confirmed what made those sounds, it could go a long way to help determine the fire's origin.What time was it when Marion was asleep downstairs?

If the children were taken against their will, "Scream and you die" said by the intruders and kidnappers, that would silence them. My view is that somebody or several somebody's knows exactly what happened that night, and is fearful of coming forward. However, after 72 years, those who might have done the threatening are dead. Maybe some younger person at the time could come forward and bring closure to this case. Poor George and Jeannie went to their graves not knowing. They wanted closure so badly!.

Satch

Depends where the fire was. If the fire was upstairs and the Christmas tree lights were on downstairs, you would know those lights were working.

True, but the fire consumed the whole house. And again, easy enough for the circuits in one part of the house to catch fire while the others were fine.

BBM. So this fire would have been them being victimized?

The victimization is more along the lines of living in a neighborhood with crime. Protection money would be an example. Now, could the mafia have arranged for the house to burn down because George didn't pay up (assuming there was an active mafia in WV at the time, which I doubt)? Certainly, but it is a lot more likely that they would have done something like burn his business down, or arranged for George to "fall down a flight of stairs." I do not think they would have tried to kill his family, certainly not children. That would have been a huge taboo back at this time. (If for no other reason than the so-called "code of honor", killing innocent women and children is a good way to get law enforcement's attention.)

But then, if Sodder was speaking out against Mussolini, it's not like the Mafia would get upset. Far from it. Mussolini tried to wipe out the Mafia. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sicilian_Mafia_during_the_Mussolini_regime. I'd think they would have not have minded at all. So then you are left with fans of Mussolini in West Virginia at the end of 1945. Were there any?

What would cause more pain for George, his own death or the death of his children? I would guess that latter. However, whose to say he wasn't meant to die in that fire?

Going back to the point just above this one - if they wanted to kill George, they would have killed George. I get the idea of "killing his family will cause him more grief", but at this time the Mafia didn't go after families, they went after the offender. For a man at the time, it would have been terrible for him to die and not be able to support his family, and it's entirely possible that the widow may have been completely unable to support her children and the family would have been broken up just to survive.

Sylvia was 3 at the time. And I don't think anyone asked Sylvia what it was. I think this object was passed on to some kind of expert to determine what it was.

I'd like to read a cite, everything I read seemed to indicate that they copied it from some other source. What's the original source?

BBM. Could they have cried out for help if they feared for their lives?

Sure, people do it all the time. This incident happened at a restaurant, correct? Who is going to stop them from crying out?

It depends what they were saying? I don't believe for a second that every parent gives a mouthful just because a stranger interacts with their child. This happens a lot, there is not always something sinister about it. That's a ridiculously over protective parent statement. If we are out with the children, esp when we have the dog with us, lots of people talk to us and the children. Unless they were saying something they shouldn't be or trying to keep me out of the loop, it's fine.

The version I read made it sound like they were trying to keep the parents out of the loop and talk directly to the kids, and if these were parents, they may well have thought it sinister. If they were Italian, there's also something a bit old fashioned about Italian fathers at the time - they were heads of the family, period, you talked to them and not anyone else.

True, but the fire consumed the whole house. And again, easy enough for the circuits in one part of the house to catch fire while the others were fine.

The victimization is more along the lines of living in a neighborhood with crime. Protection money would be an example. Now, could the mafia have arranged for the house to burn down because George didn't pay up (assuming there was an active mafia in WV at the time, which I doubt)? Certainly, but it is a lot more likely that they would have done something like burn his business down, or arranged for George to "fall down a flight of stairs." I do not think they would have tried to kill his family, certainly not children. That would have been a huge taboo back at this time. (If for no other reason than the so-called "code of honor", killing innocent women and children is a good way to get law enforcement's attention.)

But then, if Sodder was speaking out against Mussolini, it's not like the Mafia would get upset. Far from it. Mussolini tried to wipe out the Mafia. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sicilian_Mafia_during_the_Mussolini_regime. I'd think they would have not have minded at all. So then you are left with fans of Mussolini in West Virginia at the end of 1945. Were there any?

Going back to the point just above this one - if they wanted to kill George, they would have killed George. I get the idea of "killing his family will cause him more grief", but at this time the Mafia didn't go after families, they went after the offender. For a man at the time, it would have been terrible for him to die and not be able to support his family, and it's entirely possible that the widow may have been completely unable to support her children and the family would have been broken up just to survive.

I'd like to read a cite, everything I read seemed to indicate that they copied it from some other source. What's the original source?

Sure, people do it all the time. This incident happened at a restaurant, correct? Who is going to stop them from crying out?

The version I read made it sound like they were trying to keep the parents out of the loop and talk directly to the kids, and if these were parents, they may well have thought it sinister. If they were Italian, there's also something a bit old fashioned about Italian fathers at the time - they were heads of the family, period, you talked to them and not anyone else.

I'm not familiar with the Mafia enough to comment on it as you have. I would need links to take anything as gospel about their activities.

I don't know what the original source is, most everything I read about this case is on here. The link up thread (historichorrors) pointed it out. I can't tell you what the original source is.

Ok, then if that's the true story, that makes much more sense. But we don't know what the original version is. It was such a long time ago that I think it would be hard for us to get any of the original story.

I appreciate your opinions and I'm not wishing to argue with you or against them at all. I really don't think we will ever know the truth about what happened to the Sodders. Not concrete truth anyway.

I'm not familiar with the Mafia enough to comment on it as you have. I would need links to take anything as gospel about their activities.

I don't think it matters anyway because the Mafia would have hated Mussolini and wouldn't have attacked someone who made anti-Mussolini statements.

I don't know what the original source is, most everything I read about this case is on here. The link up thread (historichorrors) pointed it out. I can't tell you what the original source is.

Ok, then if that's the true story, that makes much more sense. But we don't know what the original version is. It was such a long time ago that I think it would be hard for us to get any of the original story.

This is part of the problem, we hear all these stories but they come down from other stories and it's like a game of "Chinese whispers."

I appreciate your opinions and I'm not wishing to argue with you or against them at all. I really don't think we will ever know the truth about what happened to the Sodders. Not concrete truth anyway.

Same here, I appreciate them as well. The only way to get to the truth is to discuss what evidence we have, but I think it may be far too late. It was probably too late a long time ago.

Making some comments are the above article of which I tend to agree. Others share the same concerns at the above site:

1.) When Mrs. Sodder saw the lights on in the house, the drapes open, the doors unlocked, why didn't she check on the children at that time?

2.) How did Marion who was downstairs successfully sleep through either a kidnapping, a ranging fire, the kids playing, or any combination of these things? Why wasn't she questioned more?

3.) The more I think about it, I think the children may have been kidnapped when they were out doing their chores. Mrs. Sodder assumed the children had gone up to the attic to bed, and when locking the door, tragically unknown to her, she locked them out of the house. Marian stayed downstairs, inside, if a kidnapping occurred, Marion was not taken.

4.) I believe arson started the fire more and more. I believe the kids were taken when they were doing their chores, they were whisked away, and than the fire was set to cover up for the kidnapper's crime.

5.) Shocking that a man admits to moving the ladder and cutting the phone lines, but is not questioned about the fire. Doing this during the fire. What kind of person does that?

6.) I now believe that the boom that Mrs. Sodder heard was some sort of explosive used to start the fire. The rolling sound was the device itself rolling off the roof.

7.) What fire department waits for seven or eight hours because the CHIEF CAN'T DRIVE THE FIRE TRUCK!? This whole thing by officials just speaks volumes of incompetence or cover up, or both!

8.) Maybe no Mafia involved. However, I think firmly that George angered the wrong people, and was made to suffer horrific consequences.

Other thoughts?

1.) How much were George and Jennie Sodder liked or disliked by the community? What was the social life of the family? Hobbies?

2.) Where did the kids go to school? What was their success level as students? Who was sociable? Who was a loaner?

3.) What was the general consensus about what happened to the children and the cause of the fire within the community?

4.) LE was laughably bad in this case, and seemingly very biased against the Sodder family. Could they have been paid by the perpetrators/arsonists if such occurred, to keep their mouth shut?

5.) Other than immediate family, did the Sodder's have any locals on their side in helping with this tragedy?

Satch

Another good article with some unanswered questions, and what we need to know to help solve this case:

https://www.defrostingcoldcases.com/case-month-sodder-children/

Satch

Satch you seem to be the lone person who seems to support the theory that this is a mystery. Sure you can find sites online that include half-truths in order to attract conspiracy addicts to increase the number of clicks.

Let me say this nicely. There is no mystery nor is there any investigation. The case was closed a few days after the fire with the determination that the remaining five children were killed in the fire and today their remains are buried under an asphalt driveway where the house once stood. There does not seem to me much interest in tearing up a driveway to look for bones.

If anyone is to blame for hindering the investigation its the father who borrowed a bulldozer and pushed the remains of the house into a hole and buried everything forever. Despite what you might read there was never a search for the remains of the bodies. The entire house collapsed into the basement taking everything with it. It would have taken dozens of police officers and firemen days to hand sift through the rubble and in 1945 people had common sense and thought it would be more sensible to let dead bodies lay in the rubble.

I've been to this town and the only people who seem to be interested in resurecting the case are outsiders. People who live there have accepted the story as I've summarized and have gone on with their lives.

Satch you seem to be the lone person who seems to support the theory that this is a mystery. Sure you can find sites online that include half-truths in order to attract conspiracy addicts to increase the number of clicks.

Let me say this nicely. There is no mystery nor is there any investigation. The case was closed a few days after the fire with the determination that the remaining five children were killed in the fire and today their remains are buried under an asphalt driveway where the house once stood. There does not seem to me much interest in tearing up a driveway to look for bones.

If anyone is to blame for hindering the investigation its the father who borrowed a bulldozer and pushed the remains of the house into a hole and buried everything forever. Despite what you might read there was never a search for the remains of the bodies. The entire house collapsed into the basement taking everything with it. It would have taken dozens of police officers and firemen days to hand sift through the rubble and in 1945 people had common sense and thought it would be more sensible to let dead bodies lay in the rubble.

I've been to this town and the only people who seem to be interested in resurrecting the case are outsiders. People who live there have accepted the story as I've summarized and have gone on with their lives.

I wish I could share in your theory Falcon, but I can't. I know the following is not going to happen. But if somehow, someday, the property could be dug up and the bones could be found, we could finally get the closure that many need. For most who believe the children died in the fire, they have that closure, and got it long ago. I also agree that Mr. Sodder made a terrible mistake by bulldozing the site himself. But, if we had that closure, this case would not be on Websleuths. Bodies have to be found of the missing, or the missing people have to be found alive for cases to be closed.

For so many of us who are outsiders, all we want is closure.

Satch

I've been to this town and the only people who seem to be interested in resurecting the case are outsiders. People who live there have accepted the story as I've summarized and have gone on with their lives.

Satch is not alone in their thinking and just because people are local, doesn't mean they are right.

Yes, it's possible that they are dead and they died that night in that fire. But, no bodies? No proof.

These children are still missing whether they are in with the rubble or out in the world.

I think a floor-plan of the house would be most helpful.

Reasons for Kids Dying in Fire:

The big question is when Mrs. Sodder went downstairs to turn out the lights, close the drapes and lock the doors, where were the children at that time? If they had done the outside chores, which was a condition that Jennie said for staying up to play with their Christmas gifts, and were up in bed. I could see them dying in the fire. Fire on the roof, kids in the attic bedrooms, a very rapid acceleration of heat, flame and smoke. These are reasons for why the children could have died in the fire. I can't any kidnappers going through a burning house and getting by Marion, and maybe John if he was still up at that time to take the kids.

Another point of contention would be the difficulty in abducting five kids at the same time. It's hard to see all this activity going on and George and Jennie never heard anything. No screaming, no commotion, nothing. This is the part that would make a kidnapping more difficult.

Reasons for Kids Being Abducted:

On the other hand, if the kids were out doing their chores and the perpetrators took advantage of the opportunity to take them, if such existed, it would make the kidnapping somewhat easier. If the kids were downstairs, and the fire started upstairs, could they have run outside in a panic and straight into danger? Point is that it would be easier for the kids to escape downstairs from the fire than upstairs. When did Marion fall asleep? When did John go to bed? I think the kids could have been taken around midnight to 12:30am that night, and the fire was set later, after the kids were far enough away from the crime scene.

I want to know the motive for the man cutting the phone lines, using the ladder to do so, and why he was not punished more severely? Why was he never identified? Who in there right mind steals from a family property and cuts their phone lines while their house is burning? And no offers of help or assistance? Both bizarre and outrageous.

Satch

Another thing to add is what to make of John Sodder's statements to police?

He first said that he ran into one of the rooms, and shook the kids screaming for them to come downstairs. Tragically, if they weren't already dead, why didn't they follow him? Than he later recanted his statement to say that he yelled out to them, thought he heard them answer, but did not see them. John was the only one in the family who never talked about the fire. Did he really see the kids in the bedroom? Were they already dead from asphyxiation? Did John go into shock never telling the family what he saw, feeling guilty all the years that he couldn't save them?

The family believes John made those statements stating what he should have done, not what he did. How many rooms were there in the attic area for the kids? The story is that both John and George Jr. came down the stairs with singed hair.

There were reports of cows and chickens that the children had to tend before coming to bed. Cows would indicate a barn on the property. Where was this barn in relation to the house, and how was it affected by the fire, or George's bulldozing of the property?

To where did the Sodders move to and live following the fire?

Satch

My opinion (which is only an opinion) is that maybe the children accidentally started the fire, and I strongly believe that they are all deceased. When, in history, have 5 family members ever been kidnapped at the same time? That sounds very difficult-even with children. Also I believe that forensics weren't very good back then, and the officials took the easy way out and named a common problem as the cause of the fire. Additionally, with the inept fire chief-the fire burned for hours-the house was consumed. I don't think a true search was performed to fins their remains, coupled with the father bulldozing the charred rubble. If this happened today, I am pretty confident that the bones would have been found. Also-as in the Lori Ruff case-their was so much talk of her being a spy..and all very "out there" theories. In reality, she was a young girl who chose to leave home and start a new life. I don't believe in any of the mob theories for this case-I think sometimes the real solutions are way more simple than people's imaginations.
Again-just my opinion-which everyone is entitled too.

To answer my own question above, I read that the Sodder's moved to Jennie's sister's house following the fire. However, can't confirm for sure.

Satch

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
missingjustice89
Back