Found Deceased WV - Wyatt Ray Eaves-Nibert, 10, with great grandfather hunting, became separated, Two Mile Salt Creek, Point Pleasant, 9 Sep 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
They said it was determined by officers and EMS that Wyatt died from a single gunshot wound.
Somehow I'm not surprised to hear that. When I read that WV State Police Crime Scene Units were at the site most of Sunday, I was afraid that the cause of death was going to be a gunshot wound. However it happened, it is incredibly sad. :(

They said it was determined by officers and EMS that Wyatt died from a single gunshot wound.
This case is so confusing. Was the boy on the ATV when it crashed? Or did he wander off an hour before the crash? Was he with his father or his grandfather? Was he supposed to have a gun? What caused the crash? Should a ten year old have a gun?

From the article:

Deputies said they arrived on scene Saturday in response to an ATV crash and discovered 10-year-old Wyatt had been separated from the accident victim about an hour before.

This case is so confusing. Was the boy on the ATV when it crashed? Or did he wander off an hour before the crash? Was he with his father or his grandfather?

From the article:

Deputies said they arrived on scene Saturday in response to an ATV crash and discovered 10-year-old Wyatt had been separated from the accident victim about an hour before.

"The boy and his grandfather had been out squirrel hunting near Gallipolis Ferry on Saturday when the two became separated, deputies said.

Niebert’s grandfather went out to search for him on his own later that day on an ATV before crashing and injuring himself."

So, seemingly only the grandfather was in an ATV accident.

News reports have also identified the victim as 10 or 12 years old. So yeah, details are shaky.

Where does the father come in? The thread title says he was on the ATV with his father?

The very first article said it was his father. Later articles seemed to correct it to grandfather. The original thread poster probably typed in the info as it first came in. You (or anyone) can report the first post to try to get the mods to change the thread title, but with the situation still so vague I'm not sure it's worth it yet. JMO and I am not a mod.

Where does the father come in? The thread title says he was on the ATV with his father?
The initial reports said that he was on an ATV with his father, so that is what was included in the title. After he was found, more details were made available -- and now we know that he was not with his father, he was with his grandfather.

According to Mason County Sheriff Corey Miller, crews from the Mason County Sheriff’s Office, Point Pleasant Volunteer Fire Department and Mason County EMS were called around 3 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 9, 2023, to an ATV accident in the Salt Creek area of Mason County off of Huntington Road, also known as Route 2.

Miller says when they arrived at the scene, first responders learned a 10-year-old had been “separated from the accident victim” approximately an hour before they were called to the area.

Crews worked together to establish a command post near the driveway of the property and organized an extensive search for the child that included multiple agencies from West Virginia and Ohio and hundreds of local volunteers.

According to Miller, members of the search team found the child’s body around 7 a.m. Sunday, Sept. 10, 2023. When officers and medics arrived, they found the child had “died due to a single gunshot wound.”

The West Virginia State Police Crime Scene Units and Jackson County Sheriff’s Department processed the scene. Miller says the child’s body was taken to the West Virginia State Medical Examiner’s Office for further investigation.

The investigation is ongoing, and the sheriff’s office is asking for privacy for the child’s family at this time.

Video at link Family identifies Mason County child found dead

"Miller says when they arrived at the scene, first responders learned a 10-year-old had been “separated from the accident victim” approximately an hour before they were called to the area."

Does it seem like the accident victim is distancing himself from when the young boy was shot? Maybe I'm overthinking it. idk

is he 10 or 12?

was it his father, grandfather or great-grandfather?

was there an ATV accident? who?

was he hunting? how did he get shot?

what the heck is going on???

RIP dear little Wyatt.

Wyatt-Nieber.jpg

WCHS reported that Wyatt Nieber, 10, disappeared in Point Pleasant while squirrel hunting with his grandfather, who injured himself on an ATV while searching for him. Crews who responded to the ATV accident learned of the missing boy before he was discovered dead on Sunday, several miles from West Virginia Route 2.

No one should wear khaki in the bush. Wearing hunter orange could save a life. I'm not saying that is the cause of this gun accident, but it could be, and it certainly is the cause of too many missing hunters and hunting accidents. Squirrels don't care if the hunter was dressed in a khaki or a clown suit.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back