WY WY - Austin King, 22, Yellowstone National Park, Eagle Peak, 17 Sept 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I totally agree that the article just pulls a quick quote from Mr. Jackson, a quick “sound bite,” and his entire conversation could have been quite different. Maybe if we spoke to him, he’d answer his own question: AK left his camp intending to return that evening, but likely met with misadventure.

It seems clear, to me at least, that Mr. Jackson has no direct knowledge of this rescue operation, he’s just commenting in general. My opinion.
From my search on the web, I get the feeling that Mr. Jackson receive requests to give statements in some media whenever the Yellowstone National Park is in the News.

I so wish every missing person search could immediately deploy scent hounds. Some have thick skin and fur and would be fine in very cold terrain. They can pick up a minuscule amount of scent, even if some time has passed. If I ever win the lottery, I might make it my life's mission to try and have an enormous, deployable scent hound troop! It drives me crazy.

They have used a search dog team FWIW

Snipped...
  • To date, 96 personnel, two helicopters, a search dog team, ground teams with spotting scopes, and a drone have looked for King in this high-elevation, expansive and hazardous area. Eagle Peak, at 11,372 feet (3,466 m), is the highest point in Yellowstone National Park. Teams will continue to search from the peak to about 8,000 feet in various drainages and ridgetops surrounding the peak.
  • On Thursday, Sept. 26, two helicopters, one belonging to Yellowstone National Park and the other to Teton County, Wyoming, searched extensively throughout the area.
  • In addition, Yellowstone staff have followed up on cellular activity by King that occurred the evening of Sept. 17 on Eagle Peak, the night King summited the peak. Staff are working with cellular forensics experts to attempt to learn more from this data.
  • Yellowstone continues to partner with Grand Teton National Park, Park County, Wyoming, and Teton County, Wyoming, to look for King. Multiple crews will continue searching for the next several days as conditions warrant.
  • The park will provide more information when it is available.

I've been following Austin's case and found this website and now I've been following the thread here for the last week. I found several potential clues in the high resolution images on Flickr. One thing is clear - he is not appearing on any photos on the mountain itself. Taking everything under account, I am working under the hypothesis that he is somewhere in the tree / forested area and that he made it down the mountain, although cold, wet and super scared and in the dark, and he couldn't find his way back to his original camp. This would explain why he sumitted, but afterwards didn't make a distress call on the mountain, but also didn't make it back to camp. Because of this, I think he walked unsuccessfully in the wrong direction, leaving himself exposed in the freezing rain over night, without his camp gear, tent or heating equipment. Because he got lost and walked way off track, he might have even encountered some wild animals which forced him to run either further out or animals which went for his food pack and he had to abandon it. At that point, I think he was totally lost, cold, still wet and out of energy and food and maybe just passed out at some point. Because he is so physically fit, it's hard to imagine that he could not still manage to find his way back to his original camp. Also, the weather in the daytime search photos looks much drier/warmer than on the night he had summited. So it seems like the worse was behind him at that point. Therefore, I think after not being able to find his original camp after 1 day or so, he gave up and tried to walk all the way back to the lake pick-up on his own without any of his resources rather than continue unsuccessfully to search for his original camp. Self-preservation suggests that you would try to get as soon as possible and as directly as possible back to help. I think he is somewhere in between the base of the mountain and what he "perceived" as going back towards the lake. Perception is the key word because what he perceived could also be completely in the wrong direction again, hence why we still have not found him.

They have used a search dog team FWIW

Snipped...
  • To date, 96 personnel, two helicopters, a search dog team, ground teams with spotting scopes, and a drone have looked for King in this high-elevation, expansive and hazardous area. Eagle Peak, at 11,372 feet (3,466 m), is the highest point in Yellowstone National Park. Teams will continue to search from the peak to about 8,000 feet in various drainages and ridgetops surrounding the peak.
  • On Thursday, Sept. 26, two helicopters, one belonging to Yellowstone National Park and the other to Teton County, Wyoming, searched extensively throughout the area.
  • In addition, Yellowstone staff have followed up on cellular activity by King that occurred the evening of Sept. 17 on Eagle Peak, the night King summited the peak. Staff are working with cellular forensics experts to attempt to learn more from this data.
  • Yellowstone continues to partner with Grand Teton National Park, Park County, Wyoming, and Teton County, Wyoming, to look for King. Multiple crews will continue searching for the next several days as conditions warrant.
  • The park will provide more information when it is available.
Thank you! Apologies for missing that. I’ve just had that on my mind with a few cases. Good to know, here, and hope that dog team included bloodhounds!

I've been following Austin's case and found this website and now I've been following the thread here for the last week. I found several potential clues in the high resolution images on Flickr. One thing is clear - he is not appearing on any photos on the mountain itself. Taking everything under account, I am working under the hypothesis that he is somewhere in the tree / forested area and that he made it down the mountain, although cold, wet and super scared and in the dark, and he couldn't find his way back to his original camp. This would explain why he sumitted, but afterwards didn't make a distress call on the mountain, but also didn't make it back to camp. Because of this, I think he walked unsuccessfully in the wrong direction, leaving himself exposed in the freezing rain over night, without his camp gear, tent or heating equipment. Because he got lost and walked way off track, he might have even encountered some wild animals which forced him to run either further out or animals which went for his food pack and he had to abandon it. At that point, I think he was totally lost, cold, still wet and out of energy and food and maybe just passed out at some point. Because he is so physically fit, it's hard to imagine that he could not still manage to find his way back to his original camp. Also, the weather in the daytime search photos looks much drier/warmer than on the night he had summited. So it seems like the worse was behind him at that point. Therefore, I think after not being able to find his original camp after 1 day or so, he gave up and tried to walk all the way back to the lake pick-up on his own without any of his resources rather than continue unsuccessfully to search for his original camp. Self-preservation suggests that you would try to get as soon as possible and as directly as possible back to help. I think he is somewhere in between the base of the mountain and what he "perceived" as going back towards the lake. Perception is the key word because what he perceived could also be completely in the wrong direction again, hence why we still have not found him.
Very insightful @Lish311. That is a perfectly plausible scenario, IMO. Sad as it is.

It you haven't already, I suggest you send your post to the NPS email at yell_public_affairs@nps.gov.

Every idea could help, especially for exhausted searcher and ranger minds who may be struggling for new ideas.

And WELCOME TO WEBSLEUTHS, @Lish311! Good to have you on the team.

I so wish every missing person search could immediately deploy scent hounds. Some have thick skin and fur and would be fine in very cold terrain. They can pick up a minuscule amount of scent, even if some time has passed. If I ever win the lottery, I might make it my life's mission to try and have an enormous, deployable scent hound troop! It drives me crazy.
As noted by other commenters and media, dog searches have been done during this rescue operation.

I truly understand your frustration and wish these folks could be found. But I hike with dogs frequently and this terrain is brutal for humans and dogs. This is not a trail rescue mission, it’s steep, rocky and technical. Finding the right combination of top tier mountaineering dog plus scent expert would be challenging and they did try their best and apparently found a dog fitting this description. I believe if AK slipped in this area, no human or dog could easily get to him.

ETA: My understanding is wind and heavy snow could also hinder a dog’s ability to find AK as well as shorten the time periods dogs or humans could stay out in the elements looking for him.
Moo

Last edited:
I tried to map AK's likely trek path from his drop off (I am presuming at Trail Bay, as it seems to match the image from Next Trekking Adventure on FB - they dropped AK off on 9/14/2024) to Eagle Pass (unlabeled, but east of Eagle Peak). Eagle Pass is where the marked Mountain Creek Trail ends. Folks who summit Eagle Peak forge the ridge and then switchbacks from Eagle Pass without trail markings. That would be extra treacherous and difficult to find in the fog / dark or snow cover.

If AK made it down from Eagle Peak Summit on 9/17 (or morning of 9/18 if he chose to bivouac in place (cave) near the summit), it is possible in the dark (9/17 night) or in the snow (9/18 am) he missed Mountain Creek Trail back to his campsite at 6D8. So I circled in red the areas below tree line where AK could have gotten lost and may still be.

The one thing I noticed while using this satellite map, is there is no way back to Yellowstone Lake to the North. The range that includes Eagle Peak just keeps going. If he got lost, I just hope he has a compass to keep his bearing.

This is of course elementary to SAR or NPS rangers. I am sharing this more to help anyone here.

AK Likely Trail Trek to Eagle Peak.jpg

Last edited:
11 days ago (September 20th) someone on YouTube posted a video of their ascent to Eagle Peak! It shows also the fog, rain, low visibility that Austin reported and was likely the same as he encountered. This would have been the day that Austin should have reported back. I've sent a comment to them asking if they noticed anything in particular that would be relevant to helping find Austin.

This confirms that there was virtually zero visibility up until September 20th which means Austin would have been still trying to find his way to camp in fog, rain and clouds. I think this increases the high probability of him being lost on the trail / trees or other area where he tried to seek shelter after not being able to find his camp.

RSBM
Great find!

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, if you can, please email the YT link to the NPS as they seek people who were in the area the same time as AK. :) yell_public_affairs@nps.gov
Hi @RedHaus - I retract my statement about the video it is not connected to Eagle Peak Yellowstone. The uploader just responded that this video is another Eagle Peak located in Montana. It didn't have those specifics mentioned in the title or description. Please disregard.

Last edited:
11 days ago (September 20th) someone on YouTube posted a video of their ascent to Eagle Peak! It shows also the fog, rain, low visibility that Austin reported and was likely the same as he encountered. This would have been the day that Austin should have reported back. I've sent a comment to them asking if they noticed anything in particular that would be relevant to helping find Austin.

Hi @RedHaus - I retract my statement about the video it is not connected to Eagle Peak Yellowstone. The uploader just responded that this video is another Eagle Peak located in Montana. It didn't have those specifics. Please disregard.
I’m at work and blocked from
YouTube on my network (lol), but please check if this is the same Eagle Peak?

I believe this video’s peak is attributed to Lolo National Forest? I can’t see, but it could be a different place. A lot of these peak names can be repetitive and therefore confusing. I used to joke that every 3rd peak I climbed was named Baldy Peak/Mountain in the western US.

My apologies if I’m wrong, I just am unable to check on my own and I don’t want to take the time of the SAR personnel if it’s a different location.

ETA: I believe the video Eagle’s Peak is about 340 miles away from AK’s Yellowstone Eagle’s Peak, but I can’t get on YouTube to confirm.

This confirms that there was virtually zero visibility up until September 20th which means Austin would have been still trying to find his way to camp in fog, rain and clouds. I think this increases the high probability of him being lost on the trail / trees or other area where he tried to seek shelter after not being able to find his camp.

It's also possible they recorded other videos of that day or the day before/after that might be helpful! Great find!

I tried to map AK's likely trek path from his drop off (I am presuming at Trail Bay, as it seems to match the image from Next Trekking Adventure on FB - they dropped AK off on 9/14/2024) to Eagle Pass (unlabeled, but east of Eagle Peak). Eagle Pass is where the marked Mountain Creek Trail ends. Folks who summit Eagle Peak forge the ridge and then switchbacks from Eagle Pass without trail markings. That would be extra treacherous and difficult to find in the fog / dark or snow cover.

If AK made it down from Eagle Peak Summit on 9/17 (or morning of 9/18 if he chose to bivouac in place (cave) near the summit), it is possible in the dark (9/17 night) or in the snow (9/18 am) he missed Mountain Creek Trail back to his campsite at 6D8. So I circled in red the areas below tree line where AK could have gotten lost and may still be.

The one thing I noticed while using this satellite map, is there is no way back to Yellowstone Lake to the North. The range that includes Eagle Peak just keeps going. If he got lost, I just hope he has a compass to keep his bearing.

This is of course elementary to SAR or NPS rangers. I am sharing this more to help anyone here.

View attachment 534666
Nice @RedHaus.
That is what I'm wondering. The area doesn't look so expansive on the map, but it can be for someone with glasses, at night or morning with low visibility, no shelter and lacking essential supplies.

I’m at work and blocked from
YouTube on my network (lol), but please check if this is the same Eagle Peak?

I believe this video’s peak is attributed to Lolo National Forest? I can’t see, but it could be a different place. A lot of these peak names can be repetitive and therefore confusing. I used to joke that every 3rd peak I climbed was named Baldy Peak/Mountain in the western US.

My apologies if I’m wrong, I just am unable to check on my own and I don’t want to take the time of the SAR personnel if it’s a different location.

ETA: I believe the video Eagle’s Peak is about 340 miles away from AK’s Yellowstone Eagle’s Peak, but I can’t get on YouTube to confirm.
Hey @Tower -

Yes you are right I just edited my original post above. Unfortunately the video uploader just responded to me that it is Eagle Peak Montana. The video didn't have the specifics in the title or description so I was overly optimistic when I saw that it matched the timeline and weather in Austin's case.

Sorry the confusion.

Hi @RedHaus - I retract my statement about the video it is not connected to Eagle Peak Yellowstone. The uploader just responded that this video is another Eagle Peak located in Montana. It didn't have those specifics mentioned in the title or description. Please disregard.
A OK. If you can still edit your YT video post, you can delete all the content and replace it with "DBM" (deleted by me) as the platform will still require some text. Then a Mod will delete it when seen. I just did that to my response to your post.

A OK. If you can still edit your YT video post, you can delete all the content and replace it with "DBM" (deleted by me) as the platform will still require some text. Then a Mod will delete it when seen. I just did that to my response to your post.
Thanks @RedHaus - it looks like I can't edit it anymore. Maybe the Mod can still delete it.

Moo .. glasses are a hinderence, if is cold they steam up, if it's raining everything is a blur. Especially at twilight....moo

Last question here. I haven't switched to my desktop yet to check this in higher resolution but I've attached screenshots / zoom ins of the Flickr photos where I see something (see white circle).

1. From Flickr image "Eagle Pass and Eagle Peak" - it looks like the possible shape of legs with boots or legs in a sleeping bag.

2. From Flickr image - "Northwest ridge of Eagle Peak" - It looks to be a discarded hiking pole laying on the ground (but could be from search team).

3. From Flickr image "Views south from Eagle Pass towards Howell Creek" - It looks like a possible yellow food bag or just bag hung very high in a tree.

4. From Flickr image "Campsite 6D8" - It looks that it could be something laying along the tree line.

I wanted to do a check here before passing it along.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241001_180027_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20241001_180027_Gallery.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20241001_230022_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20241001_230022_Gallery.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20241001_225929_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20241001_225929_Gallery.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20241001_181818_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20241001_181818_Gallery.jpg