WY WY - Austin King, 22, Yellowstone National Park, Eagle Peak, 17 Sept 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
We know this from the timeline:

9/14: Dropped off by-boat at Terrace Point, Lake Yellowstone, by Trekking Adventure (3rd party, not the standard NPS Backcountry Boat shuttle)

9/16: Encountered a Ranger at the Howell Fork Patrol cabin, and the statement was made by NPS that this was "Not on his planned route"

9/17: 19:00+ at Eagle Peak Summit: Makes some cell phone calls, one to his Mom, and leaves one person a VM. Reports bad weather at Summit.

9/20: Fails to show-up for boat pick-up (again via Trekking Adventures, is reported missing)

Based on some of the details it's very likely that AK's backcountry permit either changed or was not updated from his initial plan: to start from outside the park via the Eagle Creek Trailhead (Eagle Creek campground). There was confusion around his Truck not being at the Trailhead, so this really points to the Backcountry Permit not being correct vs his actual route. Since AK was able to secure the boat shuttle through Trekking Adventure, he started on 9/14 at Terrace Point shuttle drop-off on south Yellowstone Lake. We do not know the specifics of the backcountry permit nor reservations for other backcountry sites on the entry/exit.
Right, but I'm thinking of a scenario where he goes off-trail or in the wrong direction at some point on the 16th.

For example, say he takes the spur to see the Howell Fork cabin, but when he returns to the Mountain Creek Trail he turns the wrong way and walks south instead of north. Maybe that's unlikely as he should have realized that he was descending in elevation rather than climbing, but i just can't figure out why it would take him until 7:30 pm on the 17th to get to the summit of Eagle Peak.

It would be good to know more about the state of the "camp and personal belongings". Was it a case of he left his camp to just go poo in a hole? Or was he off on a day hike? Surely they have an idea based on what they found there. Super concerning if his camp still had the things he'd need for shelter and survival, i.e sleeping bag etc.
I agree. Apparently he worked as a concessioner for the park. I research a few things and many people within the area are outraged because of the influx of tourists coming to the park and how they had put in many accommodations for these tourists and have affected and ruined my natural structures with in the park. Could be someone targeted Austin’s king and maybe abducted him. Not much clear evidence however just a theroy

I agree. Apparently he worked as a concessioner for the park. I research a few things and many people within the area are outraged because of the influx of tourists coming to the park and how they had put in many accommodations for these tourists and have affected and ruined my natural structures with in the park. Could be someone targeted Austin’s king and maybe abducted him. Not much clear evidence however just a theroy

I doubt that. Tons of college kids have worked in the park for decades.

We know this from the timeline:

9/14: Dropped off by-boat at Terrace Point, Lake Yellowstone, by Trekking Adventure (3rd party, not the standard NPS Backcountry Boat shuttle)

9/16: Encountered a Ranger at the Howell Fork Patrol cabin, and the statement was made by NPS that this was "Not on his planned route"

9/17: 19:00+ at Eagle Peak Summit: Makes some cell phone calls, one to his Mom, and leaves one person a VM. Reports bad weather at Summit.

9/20: Fails to show-up for boat pick-up (again via Trekking Adventures, is reported missing)

Based on some of the details it's very likely that AK's backcountry permit either changed or was not updated from his initial plan: to start from outside the park via the Eagle Creek Trailhead (Eagle Creek campground). There was confusion around his Truck not being at the Trailhead, so this really points to the Backcountry Permit not being correct vs his actual route. Since AK was able to secure the boat shuttle through Trekking Adventure, he started on 9/14 at Terrace Point shuttle drop-off on south Yellowstone Lake. We do not know the specifics of the backcountry permit nor reservations for other backcountry sites on the entry/exit.
After looking at this itinerary I wonder if he made it back down to his camp from the peak and slept that night of the 17th and woke up the 18th and decided to do a day hike in the area. Maybe he got lost doing that? I was sorta assuming that he fell from the top or went the wrong way from the peak due to the poor weather and the fact it was dark as he was descending.. but if he had that much time before he had to meet up with the boat, then maybe he had a plan for a day hike the day of the 18th.. then park up and hike a ways later that day, hike all day the 19th and be back to meet the boat the 20th.

Not to place any doubt on the SAR team and their clearly determined efforts....but I was reading again about Julian Sands and about another missing hiker Geraldine Largay...

SAR teams looks for them for weeks but missed their location by 600 feet in Julian's case (one search team went from the top of the mountain and the other went from the bottom but they were running out of daylight and so they skipped the middle portion where he was later found) and search dogs previously came within about 100 yards of where Geraldine was found but still missed her. Accordingly to her diary entries and failed text messages she was alive for about 1 month after getting lost. She went away from her camp to go the bathroom and got lost for at least 2 days after and her remains were found years later.

I really hope the YNP and the SAR team will encourage anyone going to the area to search for Austin or maybe even give some incentives, as the case of Julian and Geraldine show that Austin could he narrowly missed by even the most experienced SAR team.

The best thing is to keep as many people out there looking for as long as possible. Geraldine was 66 years old and she still survived for up to 1 month. He's young and fit enough that he could still be alive for a quite a long time even through the worst conditions and even despite a possible injury. 2 weeks is too short to stop actively searching for such a young person with a lot of potential to survive.

Sources:

Julian Sands - missed by 600 feet by SAR ground teams

Geraldine Largay - missed by 100 yards by SAR search dog

Last edited:
What if he summited late because he wanted to sleep in his sleeping bag at a high elevation shortly after summiting?
Would explain missing sleeping bag and late summit.
Then as someone suggested maybe he got disoriented the next day.

It is getting cold to search higher elevations now, bears are actively seeking food, and the weather is getting too iffy now. Combined with the fact that it gets dark now by 6:30 here...

I just checked YNP weather, oddly, it is unreasonably warm, and windy. But this time of year, weather can change in hours...from 60 to 0 with a blizzard, happens all the time in October.

I really hope the YNP and the SAR team will encourage anyone going to the area to search for Austin or maybe even give some incentives, as the case of Julian and Geraldine show that Austin could he narrowly missed by even the most experienced SAR team.
rsbm.

I would be extremely wary of this. The last thing anyone needs is for an amateur hiker to get lost or injure themselves. I can't emphasize enough how rugged and isolated the terrain is.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dr_snuff
Back