WY WY - Cian McLaughlin, 27, hiker, Grand Teton National Park, Jackson, 8 Jun 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Woman banned from US national park for five years after giving false information about missing Dublin hiker Cian McLaughlin

The woman who claimed to have seen and spoken with Cian on the day of his disappearance has been charged with giving false information and a false report. Believe she's the one who led the search towards Taggart Lake, when all the other potential sightings were towards Garnet Canyon, Amphitheater Lakes, and Delta Lake.
“As a direct result of Mycoskie’s false report, approximately 532 hours were spent conducting searches, managing search efforts, conducting follow up investigations, and completing associated reports. This wasted valuable time that could have been focused on searching areas of higher probability and it cost the Federal Government approximately $17,600.”

One year on, McLaughlin family's search for answers continues​

A year after a Dublin man went missing while hiking in a US national park, his family are again appealing for information to help locate him.

(...)

Speaking on RTÉ's Morning Ireland, his mother, Gráinne McLaughlin, who is in Wyoming, said walkers and mountaineers are being asked to look out for her son’s personal items - a red iPhone, red watch, sun glasses and a silver chain.

(...)

Yesterday, it was reported that a woman who provided US authorities with false information during the search was fined $17,600 (€16,500).

Heather Mycoskie, 40, previously of Jackson, Wyoming, knowingly provided false information and a false report, authorities said.

Ms McLaughlin said it was upsetting to know that valuable time was lost in the search, but said: "We were informed of this during our last visit. We were here in October before the winter snow closed the search activity down.

"But we very quickly put that behind us to refocus on the higher mountain areas and now that we are back here in Wyoming as the snow begins to melt, the rangers have continued to study the map and terrain and identify other search areas."

Ms McLaughlin said they are now hoping to refocus people's attention to the higher mountain areas although she said that conditions on the ground at present are very dangerous.

(...)

Woman fined for providing false information in search for missing Irishman in Wyoming mountains​

(...)

Witnesses told the parks service that Mycoskie apparently fabricated the sighting to ensure search efforts continued after park rangers announced they would scale back the search.

(...)

Woman fined for providing false information in search for missing Irishman in Wyoming mountains​

(...)

Witnesses told the parks service that Mycoskie apparently fabricated the sighting to ensure search efforts continued after park rangers announced they would scale back the search.

(...)

Surprised by how high that fine is. Poachers pay less!

A fine was definitely warranted in this case, though.
JMO

The fine is rather high, but as you said definitely warranted. Over 500 hour searching in that area based on her false tip when they could have been looking in the direction of all the other potential sightings. Just so frustrating.

Last edited:

One year on, McLaughlin family's search for answers continues​

A year after a Dublin man went missing while hiking in a US national park, his family are again appealing for information to help locate him.

(...)

Speaking on RTÉ's Morning Ireland, his mother, Gráinne McLaughlin, who is in Wyoming, said walkers and mountaineers are being asked to look out for her son’s personal items - a red iPhone, red watch, sun glasses and a silver chain.

(...)

Yesterday, it was reported that a woman who provided US authorities with false information during the search was fined $17,600 (€16,500).

Heather Mycoskie, 40, previously of Jackson, Wyoming, knowingly provided false information and a false report, authorities said.

Ms McLaughlin said it was upsetting to know that valuable time was lost in the search, but said: "We were informed of this during our last visit. We were here in October before the winter snow closed the search activity down.

"But we very quickly put that behind us to refocus on the higher mountain areas and now that we are back here in Wyoming as the snow begins to melt, the rangers have continued to study the map and terrain and identify other search areas."

Ms McLaughlin said they are now hoping to refocus people's attention to the higher mountain areas although she said that conditions on the ground at present are very dangerous.

(...)

I missed that detail before, his mother and LE knew of the false report back in October. Perhaps once the computer forensics came back in September showing Cian had made several searches for the Delta Lake area before his disappearance, together with her sighting not matching the area of the other potential sightings.

The case is now on The Charley Project.

My thoughts are toward some accident or a grizzly bear. I believe there are grizzly bears in Yellowstone so they are probably there as well.

My first reaction was what did the dog or dogs come up with or did they search with dogs. But if that 'witness' led the searches in the wrong direction I wonder if the actual trail may have been too old to yield anything by the time they switched directions.

Surprised by how high that fine is. Poachers pay less!

A fine was definitely warranted in this case, though.
JMO
I'm pretty sure it was stated in an article that, that was the total outlay in wasted federal dollars spent on the SAR efforts specifically based upon her false information. I guess they're making her pay back every penny.

His mother, Grainne, is back in the Wyoming mountains searching for her son one year since his disappearance after it emerged that Heather Mycoskie (40) gave false information about a sighting of the hiker.

“I did, in fact, lie,” Mycoskie told Fox News Digital. “I submitted a false statement, but it was all based on information that I had received.”
Mycoskie has now been banned from visiting the park for five years and must pay $17,600 under a deferred-prosecution agreement.

Such agreements allow defendants to avoid prosecution if they meet certain requirements.

Mycoskie said she sent the false tip because she feared authorities were scaling down their search effort.

She believed if she claimed she had seen McLaughlin in a location where he was known to have hiked, it would reinvigorate the search.

I just came back from Grand Teton/Yellowstone. Sadly, I only saw ONE missing person sign about this case. (I previously didn't know anything about the case, so that is why I am here). The sign was in the Moose visitor center, and sadly it did not have a picture of Cian, only a picture of his belongings (the watch, the glasses, etc). I guess that is because they are looking for remains, not a living person. It made me sad, though.

Cian McLaughlin, 27, was last seen in the late afternoon on June 8, 2021 hiking on the south side of Bradley/Taggart Moraine, headed south towards Taggart Lake in Grand Teton National Park. He is a white male, approximately 6’0?, 180 pounds, with brown hair and eyes. His cell phone was last pinged on the Teton Park Road near Cottonwood Creek. Cian was last seen wearing a white t-shirt, wire-rimmed glasses, and a red apple watch. He may have also been wearing a hat, shorts and hiking boots.

In June 2022 a local woman was charged for knowingly providing false information and a false report in the search for McLaughlin.

“This wasted valuable time that could have been focused on searching areas of higher probability and it cost the Federal Government approximately $17,600,” said Grand Teton National Park.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kendybee
Back