Found Deceased WY - Gabby Petito, Grand Teton National Park #87

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Missing woman disappears after road trip with boyfriend as mom reveals message to authorities

Gabby Petito, 22, set out on a road trip with her boyfriend in a converted camper van in early July to tour National Parks, but she disappeared in late August and her family hasn't heard from her in more than two weeks. Now, her mother is pleading for help finding her daughter.

Nicole Schmidt, Petito's mother, said that the last verbal conversation she had with her daughter was on Aug. 25.

"I don't know if she left Grand Teton or not," Schmidt said. "I did receive a text from her on the 27th and the 30th, but I don't know if it was technically her or not, because it was just a text. I didn't verbally speak to her."

[...]

The couple stopped in Grand Teton National Park on Aug. 25, Petito's last known location, before a planned trip to Yellowstone. They were traveling in a 2012 Ford white van that was converted into a camper.

[...]

A spokesperson for the Jackson Police Department said that an "attempt to locate" call was recently filed for Petito. The Suffolk County Police Department is also investigating the case. Suffolk County PD declined to comment on Sunday.

Petito is 5’5" and has blonde hair and blue eyes. She has a triangle tattoo with flowers on her left arm and a "Let it be" tattoo on her right arm.

Anyone who has seen Gabby or has any information on the case should contact the Suffolk County Police Department at 1-800-220-8477.

MEDIA, MAPS thread *NO DISCUSSION*

TIMELINE thread *NO DISCUSSION*

Case Players and Initials Reference List

Kick Back and Unwind - Off Topic Side Chat

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9 Thread #10 Thread #11 Thread #12 Thread #13 Thread #14 Thread #15 Thread #16 Thread #17 Thread #18 Thread #19 Thread #20 Thread #21 Thread #22 Thread #23 Thread #24 Thread #25 Thread #26 Thread #27 Thread #28 Thread #29 Thread #30 Thread #31 Thread #32 Thread #33 Thread #34 Thread #35 Thread #36 Thread #37 Thread #38 Thread #39 Thread #40 Thread #41 Thread #42 Thread #43 Thread #44 Thread #45 Thread #46 Thread #47 Thread #48 Thread #49 Thread #50 Thread #51 Thread #52 Thread #53 Thread #54 Thread #55 Thread #56 Thread #57 Thread #58 Thread #59 Thread #60 Thread #61 Thread #62 Thread #63 Thread #64 Thread #65 Thread #66 Thread #67 Thread #68 Thread #69 Thread #70 Thread #71 Thread #72 Thread #73 Thread #74 Thread #75 Thread #76 Thread #77 Thread #78 Thread #79 Thread #80 Thread #81 Thread #82 Thread #83 Thread #84 Thread #85 Thread #86
I remember watching all those videos on them. So sad…and very scary.

Depositions for the lawsuit began in August. The civil trial, which will take place before a jury, is scheduled to begin in May 2024.

According to a report from Florida-based WFLA, the Laundries sent the proposed settlement Oct. 19 on the heels of a another settlement offer made by Bertolino, who was added as a co-defendant in the suit.

As is usually the case in out-of-court settlements, the terms of the proposed agreement were available to the public. The settlements are believed to be independent of each other.

In addition to the emotional distress suit against Brian Laundrie's parents, the Petitos also filed a multimillion-dollar lawsuit against the Moab Police Department, alleging their daughter would still be alive if officers had reacted properly to Gabby Petito's claims of domestic violence.

Last edited:
Did friends or family ever speak to the dynamics of Brian and Gabby’s relationship- were there signs of a toxic relationship prior to them setting out on their van life travels?

Not much

"One minute, they'd be all over each other, the next minute, he'd be like, 'We're fighting,'" says Laundrie's friend, Ben Matula, describing their relationship when they were teenagers in Long Island, New York. "They always had some drama."

Matula, who spoke to PEOPLE exclusively for this week's issue, adds: "There was always something below the surface where things weren't 100% wonderful."

Not much

"One minute, they'd be all over each other, the next minute, he'd be like, 'We're fighting,'" says Laundrie's friend, Ben Matula, describing their relationship when they were teenagers in Long Island, New York. "They always had some drama."

Matula, who spoke to PEOPLE exclusively for this week's issue, adds: "There was always something below the surface where things weren't 100% wonderful."
Thank you for sharing.

Depositions for the lawsuit began in August. The civil trial, which will take place before a jury, is scheduled to begin in May 2024.

According to a report from Florida-based WFLA, the Laundries sent the proposed settlement Oct. 19 on the heels of a another settlement offer made by Bertolino, who was added as a co-defendant in the suit.

As is usually the case in out-of-court settlements, the terms of the proposed agreement were available to the public. The settlements are believed to be independent of each other.

In addition to the emotional distress suit against Brian Laundrie's parents, the Petitos also filed a multimillion-dollar lawsuit against the Moab Police Department, alleging their daughter would still be alive if officers had reacted properly to Gabby Petito's claims of domestic violence.

I don't think they'll accept this. If they do, I would expect Gabby's parents to require it be conditioned on the Laundries providing an admission of wrongdoing, which I don't think the Laundries will do. I could be completely wrong. I'm not in their heads, but it seems to me that for them, the admission of wrongdoing is what this was about from the start. A start that seemed their last chance to right a wrong once it became clear that any evidence of potential criminal wrongdoing by the Laundries was lost and bungled.

The settlement probably states right in it that the offer is not an admission of wrongdoing on any allegation contained in the lawsuit (complaint) and can’t be used against them in any future proceeding including criminal. And, I think a primary reason this suit even exists at all is because of the Laundries refusal to ever do the right thing here.

jmo

Proposed Settlement Terms Offered by the L's. Public or Not?

@Cool Cats snipped for focus
I'm confused about this from your post:
"As is usually the case in out-of-court settlements, the terms of the proposed agreement were available to the public."

Per wfla.com Oct 19 link (your first one):
"The terms of both proposals were not disclosed."

Maybe I need to reread?

Proposed Settlement Terms Offered by the L's. Public or Not?

@Cool Cats snipped for focus
I'm confused about this from your post:
"As is usually the case in out-of-court settlements, the terms of the proposed agreement were available to the public."

Per wfla.com Oct 19 link (your first one):
"The terms of both proposals were not disclosed."

Maybe I need to reread?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think the Laundries are rolling in money. Most of the time, lawsuits go after folks with "deep pockets," my attorney told me.

SBM- They don't have to have deep pockets. Maybe they want to strip them of everything, regardless of what it is. (Much as they probably feel)

As far as the cost to handle this? Don't know. Many people acrthe globe have donated and I'd assume there are many lawyers that want their name associated with this situation.

This is an absurd statement.
As a connoisseur of the absurd, I disagree. In fact, it is a completely rational view, the opposite of absurd.

etc.

Obviously, not everyone agrees, and they are entitled to say so, but that doesn't mean the idea is absurd.

JMO

Motion to Compel Bertolino's testimony filed late yesterday afternoon.

Page 2: SB deposed on 10/17 and refused to answer questions about BL's conversations with him, citing privilege

Page 3: BL confessed therefore he waived the privilege which belongs to him, not SB so SB must be compelled to testify

Page 4: SB asserted the privilege for himself to prevent disclosing what he knew at the time he made his statements in September 2021

petito-attorney-files-motion-to-force-testimony-of-laundrie-attorney-steven-bertolino

<modsnip: not an approved source>

jmo

Last edited by a moderator:
What good will information do? Closure is a myth and it won't bring back Brian or Gabby.

Moo, this is about accountability more than it is about closure. To this day the Laundries and SB are denying knowledge. Obtaining the information may end this. And this is the "good" the information would do (again, moo).

Standing in the shoes of Gabby's parents, I understand that this suit started because they were repeatedly lied to. Those lies allowed BL to escape and take his life rather than face justice and provide direct answers. In their position, those lies worked to shield these actors from criminal exposure that they might have otherwise faced if they were in anyway involved in aiding or counseling him to run/be on the run, all the while inflicting great emotional harm on Gabby's family. And this could potentially include Bertolino for which the crime/fraud exception would pierce the atty/client privilege if certain facts exist. They want to hear him say (on the record, under oath) what he knew when he made his statements to the press. To date, he will not speak to this.

All jmo

Last edited:
What good will information do? Closure is a myth and it won't bring back Brian or Gabby.

Some of us feel very differently - and it has nothing to do with closure.

Needing to know all the facts, gather all the information is a core part of who I am - and it's core to most of my family members as well. It's a central value. It's the only thing I can do to relieve chronic, lifelong anxiety. And it works. Information works well to calm MANY people, and knowledge does the same thing for many.

It's one reason why so many people read on the internet, research things and follow crime news. We want the facts, if possible. Of course, when I was younger and first encountered really difficult crime facts (I worked VERY briefly as a crime scene photographer when I was 19-20), it upped my anxiety. I found that the more I looked at those facts, the less they bothered me and was eventually able to embark on a career wherein lots of unpleasant information was a constant, daily thing. That's how I roll.

I think if the family wants more information, in order to do whatever (maybe it's closure for them? maybe it's helpful in the grief process? maybe it relieves anxiety?) they should get it.

IMO.

#NEW: The attorney for #GabbyPetito’s family has filed a motion to compel the testimony of Laundrie attorney Steven Bertolino. They want to know what #BrianLaundrie told Bertolino after Gabby’s death.The obstacle: attorney-client privilege, which is addressed in the motion.

As part of the motion to compel Bertolino to testify what he was told, Pat Reilly, the attorney for #GabbyPetito’s family, has filed #BrianLaundrie’s notebook in the motion as Exhibit A:

From Pat Reilly, attorney for #GabbyPetito’s family:“Part of our case is our allegation that the Laundries and Bertolino knew Gabby was deceased and where her body was located. I believe Brian Laundrie told Bertolino both of those things.“

Posted on "X" 19 hrs ago

From Bertolino:“Hi JB, I hope the day finds you well. This motion presents some very intricate and important legal issues that cannot be decided in a roundtable discussion like your podcast. Although I have no doubt that you and your listeners are highly educated, (1/2)

and can reasonably discuss the legal ramifications and issues presented by this motion. I will leave this one to the Court without further comment.” (2/2)

Posted on "X" 19 hrs ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member