Found Deceased WY - Gabby Petito, Grand Teton National Park #87

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Their attorney went into it cack handed from the beginning, yet the Laundrie's continued with his representation of them. Not smart. In hindsight, they would have been better off speaking themselves, but the lure of having an attorney speaking for you, the optics of it and so on , must have been tempting.

God alone knows what is Floridian for the meaning of 'gone'.. odd they never asked Bri what she had 'gone' in , since he had the van, they must have ridiculously thought she trekked out on foot from the high plains, Bri tootling off in Gabby's own van. This was such an awful hateful crime. And not just the murder.
If someone told me what he told them, as reported in the media, I would have immediately known he did something to her. Otherwise, why would he need a lawyer? And I still don't get why they can't be charged with accessory after the fact. They knew he was running from the scene of the murder and I'm guessing they knew he was running again when he left their house.

ITA. He was driving her van and using her credit cards. Both were good reasons to retain an attorney.

JMO
BL's parents could have interpreted him asking for a lawyer because of the things you mention or perhaps another DV incident.

That makes much more sense to me than them immediately jumping to a conclusion that their son killed his girlfriend.

JMO.

BL's parents could have interpreted him asking for a lawyer because of the things you mention or perhaps another DV incident.

That makes much more sense to me than them immediately jumping to a conclusion that their son killed his girlfriend.

JMO.
I disagree. I don't think most people would be hiring a lawyer simply for using her credit cards or vehicle. The charges aren't as severe as murder. And "gone" implies permanency, not disappeared temporarily.

If someone told me what he told them, as reported in the media, I would have immediately known he did something to her. Otherwise, why would he need a lawyer? And I still don't get why they can't be charged with accessory after the fact. They knew he was running from the scene of the murder and I'm guessing they knew he was running again when he left their house.
IMO, we're not talking 'someone' here, we're talking 'son'.

It is inherent to parenthood to support one's offspring: regardless of what has happened in their life, one's parental duty is to, for example, allow them to come back home to live, give them the name of the family lawyer if they ask, etc. Similar with other family members: spouses, grandparents, etc. Also, friends.

This is done with or without knowing why. With or without approving of what happened.

This is, IMO, why prosecutors rarely charge family members with accessory unless they actually helped move/conceal the physical remains.

IMO, unless we make it illegal to assist one's grown child (grandchild, spouse, friend, etc) until one first ascertains why, exactly, they need assistance and that no criminal actions were involved, and we make it obligatory for offspring to submit a signed statement in writing as to why they require this parental assistance, which the parent must preserve and submit to legal authorities if questioned, then we cannot charge parents with accessory after the fact.

JMO

Bbm, I sure hope so. Similarly imo, a wise poster here who's name escapes me has also stated their belief with "no body" cases (obv not Gabby as she was finally recovered), for those convicted and in prison, they should never be released, after serviving their sentence, without first revealing the location of the body. I support that completely. For the Laundries and Bertolino I WISH prison time, monetary payment, and accessory to murder charges. And ETA abuse of a corpse, also noted above. Sickening. Just my wishes. And legislative changes. Kudos to Gabby's poor grieving family for everything they are working to do, and to their lawyer. And I also do believe the Laundries (not Cassie) together with Brian planned Brian's exit and suicide. JMO. Has more come out yet about the alleged money transfer to Brian from his parents?

Why wait? They're putting time into "Gabby's Act" legislation.

No, I think that they want to punish the Laundries with the civil case. JMO.
Bbm I sure would. JMO

IMO, we're not talking 'someone' here, we're talking 'son'.

It is inherent to parenthood to support one's offspring: regardless of what has happened in their life, one's parental duty is to, for example, allow them to come back home to live, give them the name of the family lawyer if they ask, etc. Similar with other family members: spouses, grandparents, etc.

This is done with or without knowing why. With or without approving of what happened.

This is, IMO, why prosecutors rarely charge family members with accessory unless they actually helped move/conceal the physical remains.

IMO, unless we make it illegal to assist one's grown child until one first ascertains why, exactly, they need assistance and that no criminal actions were involved, and we make it obligatory for offspring to submit a signed statement in writing as to why they require this parental assistance, which the parent must preserve and submit to legal authorities if questioned, then we cannot charge parents with accessory after the fact.

JMO
I disagree. My love for my daughter is conditional. If she murders someone, I'm NOT going to lie and cover up for her. She's on her own and should face any consequences including the Death Penalty!

There is no "legal obligation" for Laundrie's parents in Florida to disclose information about a missing person in Wyoming. They weren't present. Their only "information" was hearsay from their son. There is no proof Laundrie's parents knew for certain Gabby was dead or exactly where her body was located.

JMO
Can a verified lawyer please clarify this issue? Thanks

I disagree. I don't think most people would be hiring a lawyer simply for using her credit cards or vehicle. The charges aren't as severe as murder. And "gone" implies permanency, not disappeared temporarily.
What about aggravated assault and battery which can carry a 10 year prison term?

I posted that up thread because that is something I feel the Laundries may have thought about after receiving the call from BL.

To me I take "gone" as meaning no longer present at a certain location. Not that someone is dead.

JMO.

There is no "legal obligation" for Laundrie's parents in Florida to disclose information about a missing person in Wyoming. They weren't present. Their only "information" was hearsay from their son. There is no proof Laundrie's parents knew for certain Gabby was dead or exactly where her body was located.

JMO
My understanding of the lawyer's revelation was that it came out that the Laundrie's DID know that Gabby was dead based on what Brian told them. And it's not a court of law. It's not hearsay when the killer confesses.

What about aggravated assault and battery which can carry a 10 year prison term?

I posted that up thread because that is something I feel the Laundries may have thought about after receiving the call from BL.

To me I take "gone" as meaning no longer present at a certain location. Not that someone is dead.

JMO.
Did they know what charges he was facing? If Gabby had left, I'm quite sure Brian would have told them that, just like when he left her on the trip to fly home. It's not like they were out saying she went to Yosemite (which would still have been a lie, but could have spun that they believed she was alive). He texted Gabby's mother that she had gone to Yosemite.

Last edited:
Did they know what charges he was facing? If Gabby had left, I'm quite sure Brian would have told them that, just like when he left her on the trip to fly home.
And if gone was temporary, and no I do not believe that IMO, jmo I would call police, advise them what I know, file a missing person report and call Gabby's family and alert them. JMO parental responsibility, and human responsibility etc. And of course be sure he stayed, left her van at the location to assist LE, help LE, and also leave the credit cards alone. Jmo.

Did they know what charges he was facing? If Gabby had left, I'm quite sure Brian would have told them that, just like when he left her on the trip to fly home.
We were told that BL wouldn't talk to his parents beyond the "gone" and he wanted a lawyer statement. So no they wouldn't know what charges he faced.

Like I said up thread I would think that his parents would assume a lesser criminal act before jumping to a conclusion that BL murdered his girlfriend.

We are starting to go in circle's and I don't want any of my posts removed so let's agree to disagree on this point.

JMO.

We were told that BL wouldn't talk to his parents beyond the "gone" and he wanted a lawyer statement. So no they wouldn't know what charges he faced.

Like I said up thread I would think that his parents would assume a lesser criminal act before jumping to a conclusion that BL murdered his girlfriend.

We are starting to go in circle's and I don't want any of my posts removed so let's agree to disagree on this point.

JMO.
BBM. Well said! Especially considering Gabby had lived in their home. I consider them victims. It made me sick that people actually went to their home with signs and the media turned it into click bait.

JMO

BBM. Well said! Especially considering Gabby had lived in their home. I consider them victims. It made me sick that people actually went to their home with signs and the media turned it into click bait.

JMO

People did the same thing to Casey Anthony's parents. I feel if you are going to cover up for a murderous child, you get what you deserve.

JMO

Do you still consider them victims knowing what we know now? To be clear, what we know now is that Brian told them that Gabby was gone 13 days before she was reported missing, and that he needed a lawyer. Something seemed very off from the get-go with these people. I don't condone the over-the-top behavior we saw at their house to be sure, but to call them victims seems inappropriate to me.

Do you still consider them victims knowing what we know now? To be clear, what we know now is that Brian told them that Gabby was gone 13 days before she was reported missing, and that he needed a lawyer. Something seemed very off from the get-go with these people. I don't condone the over-the-top behavior we saw at their house to be sure, but to call them victims seems inappropriate to me.
Yes, I consider his parents victims. Their son committed suicide.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members