Found Deceased WY - Gabby Petito, Grand Teton National Park #87

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree.

Don't get confused by the word gone. When someone is gone you call the police and file a missing person. When someone has passed away you call the attorney to protect the guilty party.

Actions show what the parents knew. Their actions were to call the attorney rather than to call for help to find a missing person.
<modsnip - not victim friendly>

Did either of Gabby's parents know about the incident in Moab Utah? Victims of domestic violence need a support system. Gabby took a photo of her facial injuries. Whom did she send it to? I don't know the answers but hope it is brought up at the trial.
JMO

A new photo from the phone of Gabby Petito shows her injuries just before she and Brian Laundrie were in contact with the Moab, Utah police department, according to lawyers for the slain girl's family.

In an amended complaint filed Nov. 30 in the Petito lawsuit against Christopher and Roberta Laundrie and lawyer Steven Bertolino, Petito's parents allege that Brian Laundrie told his parents “in a frantic telephone call” that Gabby was “gone” and he “needed a lawyer” on Aug. 29, 2021.

That's 13 days before Petito's mother reported her missing on Sept. 11, 2021.

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip - not victim friendly>

Did either of Gabby's parents know about the incident in Moab Utah? Victims of domestic violence need a support system. Gabby took a photo of her facial injuries. Whom did she send it to? I don't know the answers but hope it is brought up at the trial.
JMO

A new photo from the phone of Gabby Petito shows her injuries just before she and Brian Laundrie were in contact with the Moab, Utah police department, according to lawyers for the slain girl's family.

In an amended complaint filed Nov. 30 in the Petito lawsuit against Christopher and Roberta Laundrie and lawyer Steven Bertolino, Petito's parents allege that Brian Laundrie told his parents “in a frantic telephone call” that Gabby was “gone” and he “needed a lawyer” on Aug. 29, 2021.

That's 13 days before Petito's mother reported her missing on Sept. 11, 2021.
Brian didn't tell Gaby's mother Gabby was gone, he told his mother who chose not to disclose it to Gaby's mother. Brian was fooling around with Gaby's phone pretending to be Gabby, messaging to her mother that the cell service was poor in that area she was in, trying to buy time, trying to make it seem that Gabby was fine.

In an amended complaint filed Nov. 30, Petito’s parents, Joseph Petito and Nichole Schmidt, allege that after Laundrie killed Petito, he sent text messages "back and forth between his cell phone and Gabrielle Petito’s cell phone in an effort to hide the fact she was deceased."

He allegedly sent another text from Petito’s phone on Aug. 30 to Schmidt “stating that there was no service in Yosemite Park in an effort to deceive Nichole Schmidt into believing that Gabrielle Petito was still alive,” the complaint said.

2 Cents

August 12 police stop the couple after a fight
August 24 couple seen in Salt Lake
August 25 Gabby's last post
August 29 BL called parents she's "gone"
September 2 retainer paid for atty
September 19 remains found

This won't be a popular opinion which is why I don't follow this civil suit. The Laundries could not have saved Gabby. They owed no legal duty to divulge that their son said she was "gone", no legal duty to tell the Petitos anything. I disagree with this civil suit. To me it is clear it is not about getting information. It is punitive. An attempt to punish those left behind because they can't punish the person responsible.

Had BL's parents shared with Gabby's that he said she's "gone" she would still, in fact, be gone. did the Laundrie parents break the law? Nope.

Was their failure to assist the Petitos in finding their daughter immoral? Maybe, probably. I do not agree with the civil courts being used to adjudicate someone's morality. I think that is a super slippery slope that I personally find scary.

I know most everyone still following this thread are of the opposite opinion and cheer the P's on as they pursue "justice" for Gabby. I don't consider this justice. It is a pound of flesh - JMO MOO

I will leave you all to it again, thanks for taking the time to read. Peace
BBM. Well said! I agree with you 100%.

Let's not forget that the reason the Moab police didn't arrest Brian is because Gabby admitted she hit him.

JMO

When Moab police caught up with the couple – Brian and Gabby – they were told by both parties that they had a heated argument in which Gabby hit Brian.

That suicide note is so full of ridiculous lies that I can't believe anyone would post it uncritically as if it's some kind of legitimate explanation of Brian's behavior.

It just reeks of his narcissism and is a transparent attempt to avoid taking responsibility for his actions.
The narcissism leaps off the page and smacks one in the eye..... even Brian himself had no faith in his own yarn, he was not prepared to face a jury with it. Who knows who created it? who suggested he write it? who had input into it? . is that Brian's handwriting?.. was it written in one go or over time?.. it is hardly creditable as an apologia , but plainly, Brian thought it was right up there with 'Catcher in the Rye', on a par with Hemingway.

That last bit, his sign off, where he reminds us all that Gabby hated people who litter, from him, who had made Gabby in to a large , terrible , ghastly piece of murdered litter , thrown away, discarded carelessly in a National Park, making her the very thing he says she hated.. pure unadulterated narcissism, with a big dose of self interest thrown in.

Brian didn't tell Gaby's mother Gabby was gone, he told his mother who chose not to disclose it to Gaby's mother. Brian was fooling around with Gaby's phone pretending to be Gabby, messaging to her mother that the cell service was poor in that area she was in, trying to buy time, trying to make it seem that Gabby was fine.

2 Cents
BBM. Gee, do you suppose Brian told his mother about the Moab Utah incident in which Gabby admitted to police that she hit Brian?

It wasn't the responsibility of Brian's mother to communicate with Gabby's mother.

JMO

BBM. Gee, do you suppose Brian told his mother about the Moab Utah incident in which Gabby admitted to police that she hit Brian?

It wasn't the responsibility of Brian's mother to communicate with Gabby's mother.

JMO

You asked why didn't Gabby's mother report her missing right away and it was because the Laundrie's decided not to tell her.

No they didn't have to tell her and they had a constitutional right to remain silent but they did eventually decide to give Gaby's mother a message through the media that Gabby was missing not dead.

Gabby's mother says they knew she was dead not just missing and that it caused her emotional damage not to be told the truth.

Last edited:

JMO

"It wasn't the responsibility of Brian's mother to communicate with Gabby's mother."

It's what any thinking, caring person would do.

August 12 police stop the couple after a fight
August 24 couple seen in Salt Lake
August 25 Gabby's last post
August 29 BL called parents she's "gone"
September 2 retainer paid for atty
September 19 remains found

This won't be a popular opinion which is why I don't follow this civil suit. The Laundries could not have saved Gabby. They owed no legal duty to divulge that their son said she was "gone", no legal duty to tell the Petitos anything. I disagree with this civil suit. To me it is clear it is not about getting information. It is punitive. An attempt to punish those left behind because they can't punish the person responsible.

Had BL's parents shared with Gabby's that he said she's "gone" she would still, in fact, be gone. did the Laundrie parents break the law? Nope.

Was their failure to assist the Petitos in finding their daughter immoral? Maybe, probably. I do not agree with the civil courts being used to adjudicate someone's morality. I think that is a super slippery slope that I personally find scary.

I know most everyone still following this thread are of the opposite opinion and cheer the P's on as they pursue "justice" for Gabby. I don't consider this justice. It is a pound of flesh - JMO MOO

I will leave you all to it again, thanks for taking the time to read. Peace
Imagine if your adult child vanished with their significant other and the family of the significant other, that you have been on speaking terms with for years, suddenly ghosts you while you’re adult child is missing. That reaction to me is unforgivable.

"It wasn't the responsibility of Brian's mother to communicate with Gabby's mother."

It is what is incumbent to do , to maintain social cohesion and public order, and it is quite the indicator of some breakdown in the social contract that the Petito's actually have to instigate a legal suite to have a law than underlines that fundamental action.

You asked why didn't Gabby's mother report her missing right away and it was because the Laundrie's decided not to tell her.

No they didn't have to tell her and they had a constitutional right to remain silent but they did eventually decide to give Gaby's mother a message through the media that Gabby was missing not dead.

Gabby's mother says they knew she was dead not just missing and that it caused her emotional damage not to be told the truth.
What the Laundrie's should have done was say absolutely nothing, at all. That being their chosen avenue. What they did do, and this is precisely the nuts and bolts of this suite, is, they , idiotically, actually decided to enter the game, and play the part of bewildered parents, who knew nothing, and hoped for Gabby to strut on out of Orlando airport, bangles jangling, ready to pick up her own van from their driveway.

Whereas, they actually knew that Gabby had, in their own vernacular, 'gone'. Which means, <modsnip> dead, finished, out, over, deceased, passed over, passed on, dead.

Dead, as in , stop searching, stop hoping, stop believing, stop waiting.

Respectfully snipped by me.

*****Firstly, Gabby's abuse and murder didn't just "happen" in Brian's life. Brian caused her abuse and death. Full stop.******

Secondly, a parent's job is to protect their children when they are young and teach them to be responsible for their actions. Parents use discipline to discourage destructive behavior. While love can be unconditional, consequences for bad behavior are not. I don't agree that unquestioning approval and protection is a good trait for a parent.

Brian was actually an adult (although he did not behave maturely). Brian should have turned himself in. His parents should have been encouraging this as well.

Brian's parents could have protected their adult child by calling the police or requested a Baker Act so Brian would at least be alive in custody.
I wish that I could love everything you said in this post 1000%!!!

Absolutely! Brian's mother chose her murderous son over her supposed caring for her future daughter-in-law, which tells me that she cared nothing for Gabby. Even if legal, I find the behavior of the Laundries unconscionable. It shouldn't be legal to aid and abet in knowledge of a crime.

Some years ago, in England, a young girl was murdered, her name was Milly Dowler, she was 13. Did not arrive home from school. She had intersected with a known serial killer, Levi Bellfield, who violated and murdered Milly, and went on undetected for some years. ....

What is pertinent here, is, ... at the time, some news reporters found a way to hack into Milly's voicemail, and this gave Milly's parents hope that she was still alive, they thought it was Milly using her facebook somewhere.... it gave them false hope. The resulting outcry from the Brit public resulted in the closing down of this newspaper. (News of the World) .

There is an expectation, across national boundaries, of not giving people false hope, in the face of deep grief. It just is not conducive to public safety or the public peace.

Last edited:
Imagine if your adult child vanished with their significant other and the family of the significant other, that you have been on speaking terms with for years, suddenly ghosts you while you’re adult child is missing. That reaction to me is unforgivable.
If my adult child stops communicating with me, I'll report it to LE. That's my job as a parent. Even suggesting it was the responsibility of Laundrie's parents, who didn't live in Wyoming, is absurd. I think that is why they are refusing to settle this lawsuit.

JMO

If my adult child stops communicating with me, I'll report it to LE. That's my job as a parent. Even suggesting it was the responsibility of Laundrie's parents, who didn't live in Wyoming, is absurd. I think that is why they are refusing to settle this lawsuit.

JMO
They didn't have to live in Wyoming to know that she was gone and something should have been said at minimum to Gabby's parents, who were supposed to be extended family to them if the couple had gotten married. It's not like they didn't know them. They had knowledge that neither Gabby's family nor LE knew. Instead they chose to cover up for their son. You can never justify it to me.

JMO
Gabby and Brian met while they were in high school. The families have known each other for years. Roberta Laundrie blocked calls from Gabby’s family, despite a previously established relationship between their families. This is just one example of inflicting emotional duress. <modsnip: personalizing>

Perhaps it is more that there are multiple sides to every story, and that humans are not god-like beings, capable of making unfailingly correct judgements about who are the angels and who are the demons among us?
That too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member