Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a part of a missing person’s search several years ago- a family friend’s daughter got a 2nd DUI, felt her life was over and disappeared. The thing that stands out to me about this case is that Brian left for the woods with a backpack- this girl we were searching for (who sadly had commit suicide and was found roughly a mile from her house) left EVERYTHING important to her- her purse, her phone, her money. The fact that he brought a hiking backpack makes me speculate that he didn’t just go to that park to “end it,” he went to that park to hide, or at least to throw off LE. I do think his parents have not heard from him and are afraid he might be dead. Lastly, did anyone anywhere- neighbors, strangers, anyone?-see him in the first part of September? How is it that he has been home since September 1st and no one saw him taking stuff out of the van after he got home? Entering or exiting his house? You would think the neighbors would notice this huge camper van in the driveway and at least think- oh, they are back from their trip!

Would you believe differently if you learned the contents of the backpack? What if it contained, say, a rope or a gun or a big bottle of pills?

My sense of this young man is that he is devastated at what happened, whether by his own fault, their joint faults or some other thing. He feels he's ruining his parents' lives, too. If ever someone had a reason to be depressed and anxious, it is he.

And anxious, depressed people are at very high risk (for various things, including misadventures in the wilderness and suicide).

I really like this post. Even though the cop stop did make him seem too calm for the situation and her too frazzled…. My initial thoughts that don’t fit the scenario were that they managed to stay out for a LONG time without either of them missing or being murdered, so definitely this wasn’t anyone’s intent. Second, usually a spouse (etc) tries to make up an alibi—they usually do not flee. If they do flee, it’s after the alibi was knocked down. So I feel like there’s a unique element to this case that we have yet to find out.
I agree there is definitely something here that is different than I'd originally "assumed," and also what I have seen in other missing persons cases. I try often to "devil's advocate" myself and try to see how this could just be a tragic wrong time/wrong place deal that BL happened to be caught up in. But, I really struggle in doing this. Putting aside assumptions about who he is as a person, just considering what little we know about what went down, two people went on a trip and only one returned. The one who returned would not disclose any information about the person who did not return, and then that person went missing.

The only way I am able to give BL the "benefit of the doubt" is when I think about his family -- this is MOO based upon the little facts released to the public, but still MOO -- they were the ones who replied BL was "not available" to speak with LE or anyone these past few weeks. Did they imply he was around, whether in the home or the state, and was he really? (Can anyone answer or corroborate this?) They are also the ones who reported him missing several days after-the-fact, seemingly following a notification from their lawyer, so who knows whether without that they would have reported anything at all.

They are also the ones who last saw him wearing a backpack with a buckled hip-strap, which again I feel is 1) a weird thing to wear on a short day hike when the load shouldn't be too heavy and 2) a weird thing to tell cops you last saw your kid wearing, as whether or not the hip buckle would be fastened is inconsistent and therefore not an obvious detail in identifying anyone.

Plus, at this point, his photo is everywhere. We'd know him, backpack-hip-buckle or not. Previous posts I've made about this strange (to me, IMO) detail have been met with the utility of backpack hip-belt-buckles. Yes, they're sure handy in reallocating weight and making it easier to carry heavy loads for longer time and over longer distance. Got it. So then, I continue to ask, why this individual was wearing this (buckled and all, as his parents were careful to point out) on a DAY HIKE.

I'm new here and created an account so I can share my thoughts on Brian. Both he and Gabby seem like genuinely kind and good people. I'm especially focused on Brian right now because I feel very attuned to his energy and how he lives his life.

Brian seems gentle and grounded. He loves camping, painting and reading. He was sad to leave the plants at his parents' homes and told them they're his best friends. He was happy to bring some small succulents with them in their van. He does yoga and is handy with tools. He did considerable work preparing the van for their travels.

The comments about him here and especially on social media are disheartening. I've read everything you've read and understand things aren't looking good for Brian, but my heart is breaking for both of them.

Brian left his parents' home for one of two reason: It was made known to them the police were going to obtain a search or an arrest warrant, based on evidence that hasn't been disclosed to the public yet; or Brian was needing the comfort of what he loves the most: the trees and plants, fresh air and open space. To see all of those law enforcement officers pursing him in a search is terrifying. It just seems so contrary to who he is and how he thinks and sees the world around him.

The couple that picked up Brian when he was hitching a ride presumably back to Gabby and the van, didn't mention bruises or bloodied knuckles. That's because there wasn't anything to note about his physical appearance, other than his clothing. She did say it was odd how clean he was, but I've done extensive backpacking and never looked muddy. My gear was always clean and tidy, and I didn't smell. Also, Brian loves going barefoot, and he loves minimalism. As an experienced camper, it makes sense to me that he'd only bring a tarp and nothing hefty for a few days of camping along a river. This isn't at all a concern for me.

As for his confusion about the direction they were heading, he's not from that area. I think he got north and south mixed up and didn't realize Jackson Hole was in the wrong direction. He was experiencing some stress from whatever it was that happened that had him doing a solo trip away from Gabby for a few days. They were still telling people they're engaged, and the police introduced the idea of spending some time apart, and that's what he was doing. It's possible there's nothing of interest with any of this sighting other than the date for the sake of the timeline and his location.

The police camera footage did not leave me feeling as if Brian was cocky, as so many people have said. His body language was reflective of his personality. He's quiet and gentle in his mannerisms, shy and uncomfortable around people. He was shaking and scared. Gabby was experiencing a full breakdown from her anxiety. I suffer from anxiety and that's exactly how it can be. She was asked what she does for a living, and she said she's a nutritionist. She hesitated, probably because she was looking for something to describe her lifestyle and goals. I doubt she's a certified nutritionist. Her friend Rose said Gabby was working at Taco Bell last year and then a smoothie place. Taco Bell really surprised me. It's completely at odds with what she portrays on her social media accounts and in the video.

All this tells me is that Gabby is young and finding herself. It's not that she was being dishonest; it's more that 'nutritionist' is what made the most sense to her. It characterized maybe her goals and also her lifestyle. She also said they don't drink, but she met Rose at a bar once. I tend to say I don't drink, but a few times a year I'll buy a bottle of wine. So I don't feel she was being dishonest with this either. It's again more of a response that speaks to the overall picture of who she feels she is and how they're living their lives.

Brian has been described as controlling. I have a lot to say about that and feel I'm understanding him and what motivates the decisions he makes. But for now I'd just like to bring some compassion and concern to this young man, who I think is frequently misunderstood. Regardless of the outcome of this case, I am genuinely heartbroken for both Gabby and Brian. He just doesn't resonate with me as someone who harmed Gabby. Please note that I didn't say or imply he's incapable of harming her. I think we are all capable of doing something sudden and unexpected.

But what I'm sensing here is something very dark that is turning against Brian and strengthening. I think his silence was his only hope of protection, and his legal right, and it seems it's all beginning to fall apart. I am praying for Gabby's safe return, and I'm also praying for Brian. Thank you for reading this.
A good reminder to try to be compassionate but I must admit I am finding it very hard because of his complete lack of cooperation with GP’s parents, refusing to respond to any type of communications as to where Gabby was, why he returned to Florida without her, this was way before LE was involved. He was not forthcoming in the police body cam video, one example is he said he did not have a phone, if she left he would be there with no way to communicate with anyone, then at the end he pulls one out of his pocket. It makes me wonder if he deliberately portrayed himself in a particular way. 100% percent disagree that we would all react sudden and unexpected, ie violence - towards a loved one.

Last edited:
I'm quoting your post only to the end aboutTeton-BADGER National Forest as I got the strangest vibe-in connection with the song BL posted after his supposed return from trip, about a BADGER buried underground...anyone recall it, help me locate his playlist? Is it it a clue, I don't know but I just got weirded out. @JJ Ray
It is "Bridger", not Badger.

Yesterday someone here wrote that the text about Yosemite was a red herring because they were nowhere near that park or California at that time. I totally agree. But I'm not sure it was intentional on BL's part. I think he made a big mistake.

Assuming her mother's intuition is right and Gabby didn't write that message, the fact is that the van was close to Yellowstone, not Yosemite. Something had happened to Gabby and she was not there anymore, and BL was in a panic. He knew Gabby spoke to her mom all the time and he wanted to avoid questions after "whatever" happened to Gabby happened.

So in my opinion, he sent the message "No signal in Yosemite" to throw off her mother, but he screwed up and wrote the wrong park name. A blip of a frantic mind or a guilty conscience? I think it's a clue to his state of mind.

It could have also been autocorrect on the phone....

MOO

Thanks, yes, I understand what you’re saying.

I’m just wondering if a place that’s been recently badly flooded, has alligators and panthers, would really be a place to hide out?
Agreed. I just hope he's not there, because if he is, I think the odds are quickly decreasing that he's still alive.

But doesn’t the van belong to her? What possible innocent explanation could he have given to his parents for ending up with his ex’s wheels and leaving her to continue a trip without a vehicle.
In addition, the vehicle was equipped for sleeping and cooking as well, so he took her camping site from her as well as her transportation.

As a Canadian I am confused as to what the perimeters are for the FBI getting involved in a case. Many thanks in advance.
There can be any number of reasons the FBI would get involved. Typically crossing into multiple states would be first in this case.
They can coordinate with each state division much easier than local police/state police.

I have no doubt it was an emotionally abusive relationship because GP blamed herself for everything. That's a huge red flag, imo.

Toxic narcissists never take responsibility for their actions. They gaslight as a form of maintaining control. I doubt GP has ever been diagnosed with OCD by anyone other than BL. JMO

There are several other mental health conditions that have that same trait (not taking responsibility). I can think of about 10 or 12 just off the top of my head.

But it has become a huge thing in US culture to proclaim every person who is acting suspiciously to be a narcissist.

Could be. But I think the term is way over used and leads us away from understanding criminal or victim behavior.

I really don't think BL is anywhere near that area. I think his family is buying him time to get away. If he were truly "missing" and they were worried about him, they'd have reported him the next day. They know exactly where he is.

re: BL's parents and why they took the car and waited so long to report anything--

My guess is that there was a "plan". They'd drop BL off in at the swamp, he would meet them / family / friend at a specific place on a specific day/time. He didn't show up to this meeting point and he stopped communicating. They waited awhile to see if he would show up, maybe he got turned around or wasn't moving as fast as they were planning, he still never showed up. Now they're like "oh ****".

He was probably supposed to meet up with whomever on Thursday, thats why when LE released the statement that they knew where he was (relayed by his parents) it was true at the time.... But then he didn't show up when they went to grab him. And yesterday they panicked and called LE to help.
But he was missing since Tuesday is what they told and that's what is so infuriating.

I really don't think BL is anywhere near that area. I think his family is buying him time to get away. If he were truly "missing" and they were worried about him, they'd have reported him the next day. They know exactly where he is.
My thoughts too.
I feel like this is a distraction of sorts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper