Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO (from all the verified information) I think BL did something to GP, maybe he left her out in the middle of nowhere and drove home. Then he got a lawyer or his parents got one for him after he told them he messed up or told them what actually went down (for all we know, they only know that BL came home without GP and nothing else, maybe BL only talked with the lawyer). Then I think BL snuck out somehow planning to commit suicide. There is still a possibility that GP is alive because we have no evidence that points to the contrary.

Does anyone have any verified information that contradicts my (very basic, amateur) theory?

I think you are on track for the most part. There’s a previous history of domestic violence between the GP and BL but notes Gabby as the aggressor on more than one occasion. Whether that’s true or not only those 2 know between them. Their YouTube channel has references to him being OCD as well so I think put together they were a powder keg waiting to go off. At this point I think the most likely scenario was they had a fight and she may have been non intentionally injured to the point she died because of it and he panicked, dumped her and left. I hate saying that but it seems the most likely scenario due to their history and ages. The flying back to Florida mid trip is really questionable though, the bit about the storage unit… He also very well could have put her anywhere along the route back to Florida from Wyoming. Hope they are checking roads with toll pay/cameras as well.

Is it possible they didn't know where he'd gone, but used his phone records to locate the car? Not knowing what else to do, they had a spare set of keys and simply took it home? If he'd not been inside it for 3 days, naturally, they would be very worried.

I get the sense that there were prior mental health problems with BL (for one thing, he mentions it almost the instant he opens his mouth with LE in Moab, but I see all kinds of other red flags as well).

The search seems to have quite a presence on the ground and is ongoing, as far as I can tell.

I can't keep up with this someone please help me understand.

So the parents say both:
  • "They last saw him Tuesday"
  • "They last saw him at the Reserve"
  • "They found the car at the Reserve on Tuesday and drove it home"
Am I getting that right? Please let me know if I am confused.

Because if that's the case, I feel like they must have driven that car there and dropped him off on Tuesday. If they were able to see him in person there, and then the same day found his car there, then they were with him there, right? I'm sure they don't want to say that because obviously it's helping him escape (even if they're just DENSE and really thought he was "going for a hike").

And WHY would they drive the car home and leave him stranded if they thought he would need it?

What is going on and why is this so damn confusing? I can't even get their stories straight. WHEN AND WHERE DID THEY LAST SEE HIM? Was it AT this Reserve? Did they "find" his car there or did they help him get there?

What's confusing is they say they last saw him Tuesday + drove the car home Tuesday + they say they saw him at the reserve. Unless those facts aren't correct, but that's what the reporting from that ABC video is saying. It's SO CONFUSING! I agree, I don't think they definitely were aiding and abetting him leaving. But they seemed to say he was last seen at the reserve and they found his car there and drove it back (only telling police that this morning, didn't mention that last night!) and still waited days to tell the police this and another day to tell the police more of the story.

I think they just got way in over their heads and are right now very concerned for their sons innocence, their sons safety, and the legal repurcussions of withholding any information they have about his whereabouts.

I'm going to talk "outloud" and theorize for now.

GP has an "accident" (that's just what I'm calling it) and BL panics and drives x-country home in the van.
9/1 - His parents ask him what happened and he says they broke up and she decided to continue on without him. They knew they were already having problems since he had come home the week in August to take a break and move her stuff into storage.
9/9-9/10 - They do not know GP is missing until they are alerted by GP's family. They are not going to answer the phone until they get the correct story from their son first. He says he left her alive and well but everyone is going to think he had something to do with it. They hire an attorney and are advised not to speak to anybody.
9/11 - GP is reported missing.
9/11-9/13 BL is panicking
9/13?-9/14 Tells his parents he is going to take a hike to get his thoughts together. He drives to the preserve.
9/14 - BL does not arrive home. They drive to preserve and find his car but not him. They drive his car home forcing him to call when he wants to come home (In their minds).
9/14-9/17 BL does not come home.
9/17 BLs parents call the police to report his missing.

pure speculation on my part but I tend to believe that there is no deliberate coverup by the parents and I can see, being a parents myself, to want to protect and believe my child. If my lawyer told me to remain silent, I'm going to remain silent.

It is easy to forget that she has only been officially reported missing for a week; it seems a lot longer than that and he appears to have been "missing" for most of that time.

Does a search warrant need to be specified within certain parameters though? Say they found a piece of evidence outside of the reason for the warrant. They might need to write up yet another warrant to take the item? Unless the warrant is very general? If all her stuff was gone from Laundrie's, what would be left on the premises to locate?

Could be anything. At least it would get them in the door.
And there are laws that say police may take suspicious items if in plain sight. I don't know the specifics of the law but that's the gist of it.

Neither of us know the exact words that BL had said to BP about her SM influencing endeavor. But I think it is quite clear that neither GP's family nor BL's family are very wealthy and neither GP nor BL are trust fund babies. There are some SM influencers who are globe-hopping, vlogging, and blogging from exotic locations around the world. But they have vast funds, either from their parents or from years of frugally saving before they quite their day job to chase their dreams. I have a great friend in Seattle who worked for 20+ years as a high-ranking manager at Microsoft before quitting and becoming a full-time pottery artist. GP quit her job as a nutritionist at a health drink store and then decided to go on this 4-month trip to *BEGIN* to try to monetize her SM activity. To me, this is VERY delusional. If you told your partner that you quit your job last week and now you have aspirations to make a living as a SM blogger/influencer, a ballet dancer, or as a guitarist in a rock band, and your partner says to you, "But you do not have any experience as a blogger, ballet dancer, or guitarist. Maybe you should keep your day job until you gain enough traction on the social media front." - that is not being a negative Debbie Downer by giving you a wake-up call that you cannot become a successful ballet dancer or guitarist - unless you have very rich parents (and neither BL/GP parents are filthy rich), that is called giving your partner a reality check on a totally different job that you aspire to.

GP had about 2K followers. That is a "newbie" ranking in the influencer game, certainly nowhere near enough to begin to monetize and live off of it.

TLDR: Sure, have dreams and raise your head into the clouds. But remember still to keep you feet firmly gripping the ground of reality. Most of us are not working at our dream jobs, but in the absence of extremely rich parents and being trust fund babies, we all continue our daily grind instead of impulsively jumping into the deep end of a far-fetched dream.
I agree with all of this. We have no business inferring anything about their relationship, their treatment of each other, any potential diagnoses about their behaviours, etc based on what we've learned so far. Relationships are complex and deep and there are vast amounts of information that even her best friend Rose probably doesn't know. If she thinks he was jealous and controlling then I understand her stance, she was in the thick of it, she was Gabby's best friend in Florida. But she also considered Brian a friend so there's a lot more that she didn't divulge, hence a whole lot more that we don't know.

Question?

On GMA did BL's sister Cassie give a reason for her not having spoken to BL?

Was he ever really in that house, at any time since GP has been missing? With Social Media everywhere, not 1 picture of him? How obscure...

I wonder if the police have searched the storage facility where BL and his father went and cleared it out when he flew home. Did they look at the security footage to see what occurred there? If not, they need to do it now!
I know people have said he wouldn't have driven back here with her body but anything is possible and if so, would he place her there? Could she have been alive for part of the trip he drove back to FL or dead in the back of the van? I think anything is possible in this case.
JMO MOO IMO

There is no proof this was anything more than a story ATM.

Well, that's what I mean. The information they gave to police in order to find BL is probably true. But they were very careful about revealing any information in relation to Gabby, since they consulted the attorney before reporting their son missing.

They must know the trouble they would be in if they intentionally mislead investigators in finding their son. I don't see them risking that. I don't think their attorney would let them do that, either. IMO

Despite the increasing intensity of the situation, his parents seem to have been very careful to tell LE only what would they seem to believe would benefit their son.

Personally, I don't believe he is in the reserve. Living in Florida he knows it's miserable in there, with the mosquitos, humidity, and alligators. He's not a tourist. This guy is not resourceful or a survivalist by nature imo, he wouldn't last a night in there, alligators and all.

Unless he was not planning on coming back, with a rope in his backpack, I think this location was planned a ruse. Parents "finding the car" and driving it back the same day is off too. How was he supposed to get back if the car was taken away?

Brian is elsewhere, maybe hiding in plain sight in a big city, with a wad of cash his parents gave him, or off to some barefoot commune who knows where.

Unless he killed himself there.

This seems extremely out of place and cruel. This entire situation has *nothing* exclusive to vanlife. Many women (and men) are murdered in their houses, trailers, cars, tents, etc. Where you live has little bearing on whether your fiancé is a murderer. Unless you live in jail, where the odds of your fiancé being a murderer are considerably higher.

But I feel like pretending that Gabby’s dream is why she ended up in this situation is just victim blaming.

Calm down please. (sigh) I was NOT saying that Gabby wanting to become a successful SM influencer was why BL harmed her. And I certainly never said anything remotely about van-life being a risky thing to do with a partner. You just wrote that out of nowhere. Posts are surging in this group, but I previously said that interviews with Rose Davis yesterday (GP's best friend) do show BL to be a very jealous and controlling person. But my singular point in my comment that you are specifically referencing was that just because your partner does not think your decision to quit your job and try to *begin* to become a self-monetizing social media influencer and YouTuber will be successful does not make that partner a mean unsupportive person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarthaMaude