Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't get too hung up on the $200 Brian offered the couple when he was hitching a ride. He probably suffers from social anxiety and was tired and experiencing stress. And it's possible there was some confusion in how they were all interacting with each other.
Knowing what we know now, I take that as a sign of desperation. He needed that ride really bad, and he was trying to guarantee that he got one.

I've done multiple cross country driving trips by myself, and multiple regional driving trips out west (multiple states, average over 2,000 plus miles round trip). It is REALLY difficult to imagine how he could have driven from Utah in Florida in 2 days, even going full out without stopping for anything other than to pee.
It's possible. I used to drive between WA and VA a ton and would do it in a few days by myself (well, with my dogs). I can't sleep pretty much anywhere other than a bed so if I get put into a car my #1 priority is to make it to my destination ASAP.

Attachments

• may2017.png
    may2017.png
    149.2 KB · Views: 8
I'm new here and created an account so I can share my thoughts on Brian. Both he and Gabby seem like genuinely kind and good people. I'm especially focused on Brian right now because I feel very attuned to his energy and how he lives his life.

Brian seems gentle and grounded. He loves camping, painting and reading. He was sad to leave the plants at his parents' homes and told them they're his best friends. He was happy to bring some small succulents with them in their van. He does yoga and is handy with tools. He did considerable work preparing the van for their travels.

The comments about him here and especially on social media are disheartening. I've read everything you've read and understand things aren't looking good for Brian, but my heart is breaking for both of them.

Brian left his parents' home for one of two reason: It was made known to them the police were going to obtain a search or an arrest warrant, based on evidence that hasn't been disclosed to the public yet; or Brian was needing the comfort of what he loves the most: the trees and plants, fresh air and open space. To see all of those law enforcement officers pursing him in a search is terrifying. It just seems so contrary to who he is and how he thinks and sees the world around him.

The couple that picked up Brian when he was hitching a ride presumably back to Gabby and the van, didn't mention bruises or bloodied knuckles. That's because there wasn't anything to note about his physical appearance, other than his clothing. She did say it was odd how clean he was, but I've done extensive backpacking and never looked muddy. My gear was always clean and tidy, and I didn't smell. Also, Brian loves going barefoot, and he loves minimalism. As an experienced camper, it makes sense to me that he'd only bring a tarp and nothing hefty for a few days of camping along a river. This isn't at all a concern for me.

As for his confusion about the direction they were heading, he's not from that area. I think he got north and south mixed up and didn't realize Jackson Hole was in the wrong direction. He was experiencing some stress from whatever it was that happened that had him doing a solo trip away from Gabby for a few days. They were still telling people they're engaged, and the police introduced the idea of spending some time apart, and that's what he was doing. It's possible there's nothing of interest with any of this sighting other than the date for the sake of the timeline and his location.

The police camera footage did not leave me feeling as if Brian was cocky, as so many people have said. His body language was reflective of his personality. He's quiet and gentle in his mannerisms, shy and uncomfortable around people. He was shaking and scared. Gabby was experiencing a full breakdown from her anxiety. I suffer from anxiety and that's exactly how it can be. She was asked what she does for a living, and she said she's a nutritionist. She hesitated, probably because she was looking for something to describe her lifestyle and goals. I doubt she's a certified nutritionist. Her friend Rose said Gabby was working at Taco Bell last year and then a smoothie place. Taco Bell really surprised me. It's completely at odds with what she portrays on her social media accounts and in the video.

All this tells me is that Gabby is young and finding herself. It's not that she was being dishonest; it's more that 'nutritionist' is what made the most sense to her. It characterized maybe her goals and also her lifestyle. She also said they don't drink, but she met Rose at a bar once. I tend to say I don't drink, but a few times a year I'll buy a bottle of wine. So I don't feel she was being dishonest with this either. It's again more of a response that speaks to the overall picture of who she feels she is and how they're living their lives.

Brian has been described as controlling. I have a lot to say about that and feel I'm understanding him and what motivates the decisions he makes. But for now I'd just like to bring some compassion and concern to this young man, who I think is frequently misunderstood. Regardless of the outcome of this case, I am genuinely heartbroken for both Gabby and Brian. He just doesn't resonate with me as someone who harmed Gabby. Please note that I didn't say or imply he's incapable of harming her. I think we are all capable of doing something sudden and unexpected.

But what I'm sensing here is something very dark that is turning against Brian and strengthening. I think his silence was his only hope of protection, and his legal right, and it seems it's all beginning to fall apart. I am praying for Gabby's safe return, and I'm also praying for Brian. Thank you for reading this.

Do you personally know BL?

Respectfully, you cannot know all about this person just from seeing a short video of him and reading second (or third or fourth) hand information about him in the news. I respect your beliefs about what you feel in terms of someone's energy. But you list hobbies as evidence that he must be gentle, etc. None of that is evidence of being gentle. One of the country's foremost serial killers was huge into gardening and loved plants. Many killers love to paint/draw. You cannot equate these hobbies to being gentle. Or even being violent. They are just...hobbies. You also do not know if he's controlling because I'm assuming you don't know him personally. Someone isn't all good or all bad. There are good parts to people, along with bad parts. Maybe him being controlling is one of his bad parts. But we don't know if he is or isn't.

I genuinely like that you are trying to bring a fresh view to this, but I think we need to be careful in overgeneralizing this stuff! We don't know that Brian has done anything nefarious beyond a doubt. But we do know his fiance has been missing for over three weeks - three weeks! - and Brian has not been cooperating at all. He hasn't talked to LE. He hasn't participated in searches. He has been at home doing nothing for 3 weeks. And now he's missing. This man - however he is and whatever has transpired - has got A LOT of explaining to do.

Apparently you never saw the "Chris Watts on the front porch" interview. ;) Just a few short minutes and everybody knew what was up. And we were right.
I am not talking about being able to tell if he committed a crime as with Watts looking guilty and lying. This is different. I am talking about looking at him and being able to diagnose his personality or any mental illnesses.Watts is not the same thing.

North Port Police on Twitter
E_VifWoVEAQyA-U
I wonder where NPPD got that info from.

they're sure handy in reallocating weight and making it easier to carry heavy loads for longer time and over longer distance …

I continue to ask, why this individual was wearing this (buckled and all, as his parents were careful to point out) on a DAY HIKE.

Bbm.
Complete speculation (and I haven’t had time to read entire threads, yet but have been following):

Could he have gone out to “dispose” of evidence and when he didn’t return / his parents couldn’t find him, they realized something had happened.

ETA : bolding

Last edited:
I can’t figure out when the Mustang showed up. I found pictures of the driveway on Monday, Tuesday and Friday so the mustang must have shown up on Wednesday, Thursday or early Friday - unless it was in the garage?
That was my question. The observation I had was that the parents claimed to have (1)seen him last with a backpack that indicated an intensive backpack trip (2) they confirmed that they saw him at the nature preserve on Tuesday, saw the car there on Tuesday, (3) they removed the car on Tuesday. The assumption is that they went back after the car. Could they have dropped him off--knowing he was going to backpack, knowing where he was going? And by Friday they knew something hadnt gone as planned?

From reading the article Miranda Baker posted and that has been reported on in MSM, she notes picking him up hitchhiking about 5:30 pm on 8/29 near Coulter Bay in Grand Teton NP (most likely on Highway 287, although she doesn't specify)

5:30 pm on 8/29 is cutting it close to make a drive of 2300 miles back to FL to arrive "on 9/1". Of course, we have no idea when he actually did arrive in FL.
It is more than plenty of time. There are 31 days in August.

She's also the person GP was supposedly going to contact on the 29th about meeting up.

But I think it's important to note that we don't really know anything about her and are only hearing one side of a story. BP could still be an awful killer... AND he could've had very good reasons to not want GP to hang out with this girl... and we don't know how true her tale is, either.

Or - maybe this girl was even the crux of big bad arguments between them? Another possibility, among many.
I don’t think a boyfriend/fiancé really has a right to “not want” their girlfriend/fiancé to hang out with a friend. It seems controlling and would raise more questions about him than answers. It’s a violation of her autonomy and at best, paternalism, for him to think he knows better than she does who she should associate with. At worst, it’s an attempt to isolate. Not healthy at all.

Do you personally know BL?

Respectfully, you cannot know all about this person just from seeing a short video of him and reading second (or third or fourth) hand information about him in the news. I respect your beliefs about what you feel in terms of someone's energy. But you list hobbies as evidence that he must be gentle, etc. None of that is evidence of being gentle. One of the country's foremost serial killers was huge into gardening and loved plants. Many killers love to paint/draw. You cannot equate these hobbies to being gentle. Or even being violent. They are just...hobbies. You also do not know if he's controlling because I'm assuming you don't know him personally. Someone isn't all good or all bad. There are good parts to people, along with bad parts. Maybe him being controlling is one of his bad parts. But we don't know if he is or isn't.

I genuinely like that you are trying to bring a fresh view to this, but I think we need to be careful in overgeneralizing this stuff! We don't know that Brian has done anything nefarious beyond a doubt. But we do know his fiance has been missing for over three weeks - three weeks! - and Brian has not been cooperating at all. He hasn't talked to LE. He hasn't participated in searches. He has been at home doing nothing for 3 weeks. And now he's missing. This man - however he is and whatever has transpired - has got A LOT of explaining to do.
He has more explaining to do than Lucy Ricardo.

That friend has corrected this to "Yellowstone." I just heard her say it with her own lips over on Youtube, but she was incorrectedly quoted by DailyMail IIRC.

Gabby's extensive list making shows no intention of going to Yosemite - and the friend now says it's Yellowstone.

I found the MSM link:

Gabby Petito's pal says she missed meet up but sent 'strange' final text to mom

Gabby's last text (the one her mom believes is fake, for obvious reasons) is the only place "Yosemite" is mentioned. The friend gave an interview to The Sun and plainly says "Yellowstone."

Aah, Thank you. I had not seen that correction.

Is it the same area near Jenny Lake, where the van was seen? I'm still confused about that location. I know it's in Grand Teton but I don't know exactly where.

And where is that in relation to the place BL was camping, according to the tic tokker?

This image shows where he was allegedly picked up and dropped off. It is about 20 miles according to Google maps from Jenny Lake. I know they were searching there,too. I may have had those two witnesses confused as to which one influenced the search. It looks like they are searching Grand Teton back country today but specific locations are unknown.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210918-171516_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210918-171516_Chrome.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
He grabbed her face...that is a major red flag especially out there with out of state plates. That is not an argument...arguments are verbal.
Bless the person who reported it because she is probably gone forever now. At least they saw something and tried to do something for her.
I think he actually may have grabbed her throat. It looked like she was putting her hands around her jaw when she showed the officer, and she had marks on her neck. IMO

This is exactly what I'm thinking too. He has been home since Sept 1st. Tuesday was Sept 14th. That is two whole weeks for them to calm down, make a plan, and follow through. They also dropped him off, left him there alone without any means of getting back home, and waited until Friday night to report him "missing." It's a bizarre thing to do, but this is a bizarre, not normal case so far. He's most likely long gone out of Florida.
bbm
Ita.
Although if so, I believe he had help !

I don't care so much about finding BL.
But he holds the clue to finding Gabby.
Imo.

What's the hurry? We're talking Moab, UT not NY, Philly, Atlanta, Chicago etc. MOO

Moab (and Arches) in peak tourist season is horribly mobbed actually, with all kinds of unequipped & unguarded tourists getting into all kinds of mischief & trouble.

Which made the seriousness & care of how both Moab LE & the NP rangers handled the incident all the more impressive, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CWM227