Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #12

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This must mean the TikTok witness and Idaho store merchant did not pan out? Because if they had been verified it seems to me that he was up by Yellowstone with the 28th and 29th being the only dates empty (and there is an unverified report that he was seen alone at a bar in West Yellowstone on the 29th.

The Spread Creek location is just 10 miles away from where the TT witness supposedly dropped him off on 8/29. Not that far.

My sister, who is also a WebSleuths member, just told me that BL is missing and has been missing for a few days. I know the attorney has stated he advised BL and his family not to make a statement but, and this is just my NSHO, his actions make him look guilty of something.

I dug around for the source quite a bit since it’s in the main timeline here and WS is super strict (for good reason) about including verified information.

I don’t have the link but that information came from a podcast Gabby’s father did where he gave that information. It may be in the media files thread for this case.

As a side note, I travel solo all over the world and even I would not be comfortable staying alone in a NP in that area. I probably would have hotel-ed it too. Some national parks in the US are just not safe to be alone in, especially without protection. JMO

I'm a solo traveler as well and I would do the same. I have a place by the NP in Joshua Tree. I wouldn't even camp there alone.

They think - IMO - that they are serving him well, and doing him some kind of favors to/by saving his hide from any consequences.

Or "thought", may be more appropriate; because it certainly looks as if they started taking things seriously when THEIR kid turned up missing...

...as was predicted would happen ahead of time, if he was the one endangered, by both sets of Gabby's parents in the media.

I think they are still intentionally misleading the police and they know he isn’t at that park. They know he isn’t missing. They know where he is hiding and they are delighted at the massive waste of resources and the fact that the attention is on BL instead of the real victim in this case, Gabby. MOO.

Just playing devil's advocate here, because I think it's unlikely, but it could be that BLs parents are just as in the dark about what happened as we all are. He could have showed up unexpectedly in their driveway sans Gabby and retreated to his room and wouldn't communicate with them or made just vague, incoherent but ominous ramblings. Like everyone else they suspected the worst and called their old lawyer friend in LI who dealt directly with BL and told both BL and the parents that, for the everyone's protection, BL should not discuss any of what happened with the parents and the best way the parents could help BL would be to not ask.

Interesting! To make that hypothesis fit we could consider that maybe Brian left the van at their house (we have no confirmation as to timing), entered the house with his keys. They didn't see him and haven't seen him in all of this time. He then slipped out, taking a set of Mustang keys with him.

They wake up, see the van, don't understand where he is or if Gabby is with him (maybe they had no contact for a while as well?)

(The info gap here is who informed that he arrived on this date and when did LE move in to take van for inspection?)

They have still not seen their son or future daughter in law. Maybe they are getting messages to say that everything is OK and that BL and GP are staying somewhere with friends?

So, continuing with your hypothesis, when the news of Gabby's disappearance breaks, the parents sense something is very wrong and call their lawyer contact, who instructs them to say nothing.

This could be backed up by Brian's sister saying that she has had no contact with him.

The parents see the Mustang is missing and / or receive a message saying that Brian took the Mustang to go for a hike (maybe stated with friends).

They do not worry until he does not return, pressure about Gabby case increases. They think or know that BL disappeared from Park with others helping him and they go to pick up the car. Maybe not knowing or thinking that they were also under the radar?

All the above is mere speculation.

Still fails to address why they did not reply to Gabby's parents or take action much earlier.

Another long-time reader that this case has made into a first-time poster. I don't think Brian is in Carlton Reserve, and I doubt if he was ever really back in Florida. IMO.

I'm familiar with the kind of terrain in Carlton Reserve. Camping in swampy subtropical conditions is never fun, but this time of year it is close to hell on earth. As others have said, the mosquitoes and flies are thick and relentless, the heat is dreadful, there is no way to get dry or stay dry so you are racked with chills once the sun goes down, there is no water that is safe to drink, there is just about nothing that can be foraged for food, and the gators are a serious concern, especially at night.

For a good look at what these conditions are like you can search Les Stroud Survivorman Georgia on Youtube. There's an episode of Survivorman (featuring Les Stroud, who is a well-known and highly-skilled primitive survivalist who has been dropped into harsh conditions all over the world to film himself contending with nature to stay alive) set in a swamp that is very similar to Carlton Reserve. It shows how hellish the conditions are; Stroud himself says that after thirty years of doing minimalist survival camping, that swamp was hands down the worst conditions he ever endured.

Based on their car-camping itinerary and on his behavior, Brian is far from a Les Stroud; he comes off as a poser who seems to have little or no real back-country knowledge, IMO. He wouldn't have lasted more than a day or so in Carlton Reserve on his own. I don't think he's in there.

Last edited:
The TikTok witness was for the 29th. You are right: he/they must have headed south again to be down by Spread Creek - if true.

The shopkeeper's report was for both of them, and they thought it was on the 25th or 26th.

I wasn't impressed by the Bullwinkle's Saloon sighting. The speaker may have been truthful, but he said that "Brian" had a heavy, New York accent - and I just haven't heard that. Admittedly, the sound quality hasn't been very good. I'd love to hear what other people think, after listening to him.
Where I am from, any New York accent is a heavy New York accent. Maybe the same is true for that speaker.

Regarding the threat of danger in the Florida wild...

Many people stay overnight in wild Florida. Gators generally do not care for human interaction. It's mostly only gators fed by humans who end up attacking humans. Florida's black bears have no interest in humans. There are only about 200 panthers in Florida, and they have little reason to attack humans. There is plenty of food out there to keep panthers and smaller wild cats happy.

One time, I slept on the edge of a hiking trail. I didn't even have fire. Nothing bothered me. I could hear gators and boars all night. But I was just fine.

The greatest danger in Florida's wilderness areas is probably dehydration. It's still very hot and humid here in Florida. Hiking would require a few water bottles and some sort of purifying system.

I don't know how sure anyone is about his supposed trip to the nature reserve. But it's just as likely that he hitched a ride up 75 and got the hell out of dodge that way.

I said that the other night about those drawings and I was told that it was normal uhhh what??
You can not judge someone based on the books they read, the music they listen to or how they dress or art they like, it is a bias to do so.
The only way I am judging BL is by leaving his partner and not giving any info about her.

We don’t know what exactly was said between the two before they were stopped by LE. What they told LE (during a very stressful situation) wasn’t necessarily what was said in private. Did he tell her that she wasn’t competent enough to follow her social media dreams? Or did he tell her that the chances of her monetizing her dreams were slim?
I'm just taking her at her word on the video tape, which did not mention making money.

No, not that alone. The combination of all these things paint the picture of someone who seems troubled. Gabby’s friend also said he heard voices in his head. So I’m going off all of that.
I’m into true crime and my mother would probably tell you I’m troubled. I guess I should avoid hanging out with people just in case my social media is ever overanalyzed beyond reason like this. We only see what someone wants us to see of them online. We don’t know Brian personally to say he’s troubled. Honestly we don’t even know if Brian read that book. Everything about their social media presence has been so contrived. People are rarely ever their digital persona.

Last edited:
I actually considered that an option in the beginning.
He arrived suddenly at home and didn't talk, or told his parents that she abandoned him ?

And parents will protect their children.
But good, decent parents will answer the phone calls from the young ladies' parents .
Gabby lived with them for two years and was engaged to marry their son.
This was not a new girlfriend of a few weeks. They knew her well.
Someone said in the first thread if I can find it, that the pair were in the same high school together.
They go back many years ?
All of this to say that it's unfathomable to not insist that your adult child - who lives with you -- to cooperate with LE.
Because that what it looks like right now.
Not cooperating.
Imo.

I think his parents have known at least since he purportedly flew back to Florida from SLC that there were signficant problems of some sort. The story about the departure from the trip and moving her personal items to or from the home to or from a storage unit is exceptionally strange for the trip they had planned, through the west ending up in the Pacific Northwest.

If you find out what went on during that time he was back in Florida, I think you will have an idea of what he was planning. Based on my impressions, I think he came back with the intention to split up with her. This would, of course, completely stop the VanLife blog as she really needed someone else to run the show while she blogged.

Her father is the one who described the trip he took back to Florida and the purported reason to avoid paying for a storage unit. Which sounds completely bogus to me. I'd have to think her father was paying for the SLC hotel, as she couldn't afford it. I just wonder if her father talked to BL at some point in this part of the saga.

I think it was also her mother who was the one who had the date he returned to Florida, though I'm not sure how she came about it.

Anyway. There is no way his family did not expect his arrival. There is no way he didn't arrive without some texts from the return trip, or a plausible reason for his having the van without her.

This was not a surprise for his family. No polite niceties "they broke up, her stuff is at our house, please come get it". And no pretense at innocence about the events that transpired. They know. They know full well.

They were prepared enough to stonewall her parents for 10 days. Let's not forget that at all.

Last edited:
I said that the other night about those drawings and I was told that it was normal uhhh what??

I read the reviews on Amazon....no accounting for taste. Weird for me yes....but I find Steve King weird and have been known to read one or two of his books....:)

I have a theory of what happened, I am debating with myself whether to post or not. Pure speculation around the information that has come out so far.

Another long-time reader that this case has made into a first-time poster.

I'm familiar with the kind of terrain in Carlton Reserve. Camping in swampy subtropical conditions is never fun, but this time of year it is close to hell on earth. As others have said, the mosquitoes and flies are thick and relentless, there is no way to get dry or stay dry, the heat is dreadful, there is no water that is safe to drink, there is just about nothing that can be foraged for food, and the gators are a serious concern, especially at night. I don't think Brian is in Carlton Reserve, and I doubt if he was ever really back in Florida. IMO.

For a good look at what these conditions are like you can search Les Stroud Survivorman Georgia on Youtube. There's an episode of Survivorman (featuring Les Stroud, who is a well-known and highly-skilled primitive survivalist who has been dropped into harsh conditions all over the world to film himself contending with nature to stay alive) set in a swamp that is very similar to Carlton Reserve. It shows how hellish the conditions are; Stroud himself says that after thirty years of doing minimalist survival camping, that swamp was hands down the worst conditions he ever endured.

Based on their car-camping itinerary and on his behavior, Brian is far from a Les Stroud; he comes off as a poser who seems to have little or no real back-country knowledge, IMO. He wouldn't have lasted more than a day or so in Carlton Reserve on his own. I don't think he's in there.
Thanks for the fantastic post!

From what I could gather, HE drove the Mustang to the park, and when he did not return from his “hike,” his parents went to the park, found the car & drove it home. As others have commented, why did they bring the car back if they knew they’d be stranding him alone in the park? Also, why wait several days then, before reporting him missing. Totally odd behavior IMO. MOO

There must be some evidence of “danger” for them to be searching. They haven’t warned the public of any threat so it must be self harm.

The parents have shown concern only for Brian. If they called LE it was because of fear about Brian. It must have been convincing because they organized a pretty big search right away. I doubt they’re lying as they could have just continued in silence. You don’t have the FBI over & take that kind of risk.

I just hope he leaves a note or some info so she can be found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
northsearch